Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 13, 2014, 12:59pm
Couple of very funny and true articles for all you Sunday league/ex-Sunday league players! Especially the Telegraph one... 10 incontrovertible truths every Sunday league footballer knows:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11228661/10-incontrovertible-truths-every-Sunday-league-footballer-knows.html

Guardian one could be taken as a bit condescending tone (not like The Guardian to do that  ;) ) but taking it simply as a urine-take I enjoyed it - it's about the things we say on a Sunday morning:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/football-cliches/2013/oct/31/talking-language-sunday-league-football

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 13, 2014, 1:16pm; Reply: 1
That crunching tackle in the clip reminds me of when my leg got broken with a tackle from behind from some idiot when playing Sunday league football in the 1980s..
Posted by: moosey_club, December 13, 2014, 2:11pm; Reply: 2
Nearly puked at that clip.....despite its "reputation" i have been playing Sunday mornings now for around 27 yrs and in that time i have only been witness to one bad injury from a reckless tackle.

Posted by: lobsterpot, December 14, 2014, 7:00am; Reply: 3
Who ya play/played for moosey? Ive just this season given it all up. Been playing and managing for the last 20 odd years and in that time ive done the ligaments in both knees, both ankles, fractured by neck and back and broken my arm! I fi ever play now it takes me a week to recover from the pain but you cant help yourself can you for the love of the game. I gotta admit tho' when you aint played for a month or 2 the pain relief is fantastic. Your bones stop cracking and the body stops aching, lovely stuff :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 14, 2014, 8:23am; Reply: 4
Quoted from lobsterpot
Who ya play/played for moosey? Ive just this season given it all up. Been playing and managing for the last 20 odd years and in that time ive done the ligaments in both knees, both ankles, fractured by neck and back and broken my arm! I fi ever play now it takes me a week to recover from the pain but you cant help yourself can you for the love of the game. I gotta admit tho' when you aint played for a month or 2 the pain relief is fantastic. Your bones stop cracking and the body stops aching, lovely stuff :)

Moosey's played for AA New Waltham since the mid 60's.  ;)
Posted by: gytone, December 14, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 5
In my time playing and managing local youth and men's footie, I've used most of them phrases !  :)
Posted by: moosey_club, December 14, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Moosey's played for AA New Waltham since the mid 60's.  ;)

Cheeky.....
you are forgetting the short stint at Les Brechin's Div 3 Cricketers..
in rough order;

Kingsway Printers (Carr and Carr league)
Lynton (Carr and Carr league)
Schuberts
Thorpe Park
Palace Buffet
AFC Cleethorpes
Fishermans
Lucarly's
Cricketers
Tonys Auto
AA New Waltham

Posted by: ackomariner, December 14, 2014, 3:01pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from moosey_club

Cheeky.....
you are forgetting the short stint at Les Brechin's Div 3 Cricketers..
in rough order;

Kingsway Printers (Carr and Carr league)
Lynton (Carr and Carr league)
Schuberts
Thorpe Park
Palace Buffet
AFC Cleethorpes
Fishermans
Lucarly's
Cricketers
Tonys Auto
AA New Waltham

Still not as many teams a Brodie  ;)
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 14, 2014, 7:12pm; Reply: 8
Seeing those names, and the Lynton, reminded me of when I was a regular there and we wanted to put a Sunday League team together in the early 1980's. Our registration got in too late, but we then got a call to say that Barton Estates (think Don Beardsley was one of the owners?) had withdrawn from the 1st Division, and did we want to take their place? We did, but got humped every game we played - with a 24-0 drubbing at Caistor in some Cup game getting us a "Disgrace to Grimsby Sunday League football" in the Football Telegraph. Great for cheap headlines but not looking at the story behind the result. We always had more than enough players for every game, and I always remember playing up at Nunsthorpe one Sunday and we were winning 3-1 after about 15 minutes, and Artie White who was managing them was walking up and down the sidelines, head in hands saying "it can't happen to us" End of the game parity was restored with a 19-3 win for the home side.

I was goalkeeper for a good bit of the season and can't remember us ever losing with less than 8 goals against us, and I think we let in well over the 200 mark for the full league season. Those were the days. Dave Mawer was club captain. He was crap and all by then. ;D
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 15, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 9
Only played for four clubs in my less than illustrious career, my only medal is the junior challenge cup managing Abatis a couple of seasons ago. Retired from playing at the end of last season at 38 due to age, obesity and generally being as quick as a slug in syrup. Several years at the following clubs, a briefish stay at The Cricks. Played with some great lads, miss playing, buggered my knee at worldnet playing for the internet mariners in the summer so I can't even have a kickabout at the mo.

Posted by: SlouchyMetal, December 15, 2014, 1:24am; Reply: 10
i remember refereeing Abatis about 3 years ago
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 15, 2014, 7:16am; Reply: 11
I've never played Sunday Football but I've been involved since the mid 80's as secretary with the following teams.

I regularly used to run the line too but I'm unable to now due to health reasons.

Grimsby Town Supporters Club
Bates Athletic/Belmont Television/Baton Rouge/Dominics/Mitchells Athletic (The same team)
Cricketers
SW Steelers

Unfortunately Steelers folded at the start of this season but I have just recently been opted onto the Sunday League Committee and I am currently doing observations for the "Respect" campaign on Sunday mornings now. I know that when we were watched for this we got a bad report one time but that was only because the ref had made a number of poor decisions which had antagonised our players so I would just as easily report a referee as a would a team if I think that the referee has caused the problems.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), December 15, 2014, 8:43am; Reply: 12
Quoted from SlouchyMetal
i remember refereeing Abatis about 3 years ago

I apologise for the behaviour of my players.

;-)
Posted by: barralad, December 15, 2014, 9:29am; Reply: 13
Quoted from jock dock tower
Seeing those names, and the Lynton, reminded me of when I was a regular there and we wanted to put a Sunday League team together in the early 1980's. Our registration got in too late, but we then got a call to say that Barton Estates (think Don Beardsley was one of the owners?) had withdrawn from the 1st Division, and did we want to take their place? We did, but got humped every game we played - with a 24-0 drubbing at Caistor in some Cup game getting us a "Disgrace to Grimsby Sunday League football" in the Football Telegraph. Great for cheap headlines but not looking at the story behind the result. We always had more than enough players for every game, and I always remember playing up at Nunsthorpe one Sunday and we were winning 3-1 after about 15 minutes, and Artie White who was managing them was walking up and down the sidelines, head in hands saying "it can't happen to us" End of the game parity was restored with a 19-3 win for the home side.

I was goalkeeper for a good bit of the season and can't remember us ever losing with less than 8 goals against us, and I think we let in well over the 200 mark for the full league season. Those were the days. Dave Mawer was club captain. He was crap and all by then. ;D

I can beat your 24-0 John! On 27th. December 1975 I played (for the losing side!) in what must be the record score in the Sunday League (or any other league for that matter) LOR 31 Glentons 1. The previous season Glenton's had been near the top of the First Division but their best players deserted during the close season-but after the team had been registered. Rather than pull out Eric Hurst the manager soldiered on and managed to turn a team out for every game that season although the LOR game was touch and go only starting when one of LORs team lent us his 14 year old son to make us 7 players. He actually scored our one goal! I cannot remember how many goals we conceded that season but it was well over 200 in all competitions. Last match we played Kings Head and were winning 2-1 with six minutes to go and ended up losing 5-2!
Posted by: moosey_club, December 15, 2014, 9:30am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin
I've never played Sunday Football but I've been involved since the mid 80's as secretary with the following teams.

I regularly used to run the line too but I'm unable to now due to health reasons.

Bates Athletic/Belmont Television/Baton Rouge/Dominics/Mitchells Athletic (The same team)
Cricketers
SW Steelers

Unfortunately Steelers folded at the start of this season but I have just recently been opted onto the Sunday League Committee and I am currently doing observations for the "Respect" campaign on Sunday mornings now. I know that when we were watched for this we got a bad report one time but that was only because the ref had made a number of poor decisions which had antagonised our players so I would just as easily report a referee as a would a team if I think that the referee has caused the problems.

Didnt know you had gone to the darkside Les  :P , best watch what i call you next time i see you on the sideline
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 15, 2014, 9:57am; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club

Didnt know you had gone to the darkside Les  :P , best watch what i call you next time i see you on the sideline

I'm hoping that I'll be able to put my views over from a clubs point of view having been involved for so long as a club secretary and as for the biggest ever defeat, I'm fairly sure I can remember there being a 33-0 win once.

Posted by: Fcukthescunts, December 15, 2014, 12:35pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

Cricketers
SW Steelers

Was Glyn Benbow playing while you were involved with Steelers? I remember playing for littlefields with him the only person I know to put to wear two pairs of shin pads each game one pair to protect his calf! Only thing was no one could get near him to tackle/kick him as he had a turning circle of a rudderless oil tanker!
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 15, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Fcukthescunts

Was Glyn Benbow playing while you were involved with Steelers? I remember playing for littlefields with him the only person I know to put to wear two pairs of shin pads each game one pair to protect his calf! Only thing was no one could get near him to tackle/kick him as he had a turning circle of a rudderless oil tanker!

Yeah, only very briefly though. I think my first season involved with Steelers was Glyn's last. As far as I know he's still playing these days.

Posted by: SlouchyMetal, December 16, 2014, 2:02am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 75

I apologise for the behaviour of my players.

;-)

i was a terrible ref back then! now i terrorise the Lincoln Sunday League whilst im at Uni so you dont have to deal with me at all!
Posted by: Biccys, December 16, 2014, 9:50am; Reply: 19
Quoted from barralad

I can beat your 24-0 John! On 27th. December 1975 I played (for the losing side!) in what must be the record score in the Sunday League (or any other league for that matter) LOR 31 Glentons 1. The previous season Glenton's had been near the top of the First Division but their best players deserted during the close season-but after the team had been registered. Rather than pull out Eric Hurst the manager soldiered on and managed to turn a team out for every game that season although the LOR game was touch and go only starting when one of LORs team lent us his 14 year old son to make us 7 players. He actually scored our one goal! I cannot remember how many goals we conceded that season but it was well over 200 in all competitions. Last match we played Kings Head and were winning 2-1 with six minutes to go and ended up losing 5-2!

Trump.
I played U16 for Louth Old Boys and we played a team from Sutton (Marisco I think) way who were all the thick edge of 17 while we were all 14-15. As we knew we'd get thumped, we only had 8 players, I was injured so got thrown upfront to stand on the half way line while the goals rained in! We asked the ref what the score was at the end at it was 36-0...
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:57am