Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 12:31am
Sheff Utd have changed their minds on letting Evans train with them,

I hope he does not sign for a conference side.
Posted by: poomehellt, November 21, 2014, 12:36am; Reply: 1
Not much fuss was made by the media when Lee Hughes was signed by a team a few divisions lower after his incident. Can see the same thing happening with Ched.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 21, 2014, 8:17am; Reply: 2
Always unfair on the club under pressure to get rid, if they keep him they're painted as almost an accomplice to the crime, if they get rid another club comes along and scoops up a good player. In reality Sheff Utd are as innocent in all of this as whoever Evans' new club is.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 21, 2014, 8:33am; Reply: 3
if he joins a non-league team then the media will leave him alone, so makes sense IMO.

can see him joining FGR or Eastleigh, someone who will pay him a bit of money
Posted by: gtfc98, November 21, 2014, 8:57am; Reply: 4
Sign him up I say.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 21, 2014, 8:59am; Reply: 5
Mixed feelings on this. He is clearly a prat and a jury found him guilty so he remains guilty unless and until his appeal clears up the matter. But there are plenty of prats employed by football clubs and other employers, including ex-cons. It seems wrong to me though that Sheff Utd should have been put under so much pressure and end up doing this for the wrong reasons. In fact they have made a decision for no good reason other than some other people say they should do it and have threatened their reputation and their commercial future.

It's one of those situations with no right or wrong answer. Whatever happens somebody will suffer.
Posted by: lukeo, November 21, 2014, 9:08am; Reply: 6
Quoted from gtfc98
Sign him up I say.

agreed
Posted by: KK_DOG, November 21, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 7
It's mob rule and rightly or wrongly Sheffield United have bottled it.
Posted by: carp catcher, November 21, 2014, 9:31am; Reply: 8
Football has no morals,he will be treated like a hero for whoever he signs for when that first goal hits the back of the net.get him in here we took fyfield an McDonald so why not Ched?
Posted by: Tom13, November 21, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 9
Quoted from carp catcher
Football has no morals,he will be treated like a hero for whoever he signs for when that first goal hits the back of the net.get him in here we took fyfield an McDonald so why not Ched?

What did Fyfield do wrong? Or do you mean that because he just wasn't very good?  :P
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 21, 2014, 9:40am; Reply: 10
If there is a judicial review and he is in fact found not guilty, I can see lawsuits being brought by himself and sheff utd. It's been mentioned on here already about the fact that a miscarriage if justice could've in fact taken place
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 10:32am; Reply: 11
If he signs for a conference team he will score 20+ goals even though we are nearly halfway through the season

That would mean if he signs for one of our rivals it would make it even harder for us to get out of this league,

I would not mind giving him a contract to the end of the season,

We get promoted,

Then he is free to continue with a club higher up the pyramid.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 21, 2014, 10:44am; Reply: 12
So, he should go to a league 2 club next season??

What about us :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 10:47am; Reply: 13
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
So, he should go to a league 2 club next season??

What about us :)

I thought a L1 or Championship club,

BUT

If he wants to stay I sure all town fans would except him after he had done his bit to get us back into the league.
Posted by: Biccys, November 21, 2014, 11:02am; Reply: 14
Quoted from carp catcher

And Scott Neilson was convicted of assault. http://www.crawleynews.co.uk/Crawley-Town-star-Scott-Neilson-sentenced-attack/story-16516556-detail/story.html

Rape is rape and one of, if not the, worst crime against another human being, this issue isn't clear cut by any means. Evans will have a fight on his hands finding a club to take him on I reckon.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 21, 2014, 11:08am; Reply: 15
His agent was talking of going abroad to restart his career, Australia seems a natural fit...
Posted by: GrimRob, November 21, 2014, 12:10pm; Reply: 16
be perfect for Forest Green they haven't got any fans to lose anyway
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 21, 2014, 3:16pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from moosey_club
His agent was talking of going abroad to restart his career, Australia seems a natural fit...

With him being a Taff, how about New South Wales?
Posted by: MarinerWY, November 21, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from carp catcher

Well for a start McDonald was found not guilty...

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 3:50pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MarinerWY

Well for a start McDonald was found not guilty...

There is more to this that will come out in his appeal,

I read that Big Mac took the girl to the bedroom and after having sex with the girl Big Mac asked her if Evans could then join in, she said yes according to Big Mac,

If that was true then how could one be found guilty and one found innocent ?

To me both are either innocent or both should have been found guilty.
Posted by: thevera, November 21, 2014, 4:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

There is more to this that will come out in his appeal,

I read that Big Mac took the girl to the bedroom and after having sex with the girl Big Mac asked her if Evans could then join in, she said yes according to Big Mac,

If that was true then how could one be found guilty and one found innocent ?

To me both are either innocent or both should have been found guilty.

I read a case study of the case and If I remember correctly the key to it was the fact that Clayton walked with the girl back to the hotel from the takeaway where they met, whereas Evans turned up having been told by Clayton that they were at the hotel. The judge guided the jury saying because Clayton and the girl walked together for a time to the hotel Clayton could reasonably think his luck was in. However Evans turned up did the deed and left.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 21, 2014, 4:12pm; Reply: 21
He was found GUILTY !!! there must be hundreds in Prison who didn't do it .................................................. :-/
Posted by: GrimRob, November 21, 2014, 4:16pm; Reply: 22
It's irrelevant whether he was guilty or innocent he's got to be given a chance to get on with his life.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, November 21, 2014, 4:17pm; Reply: 23
I suppose it all depends on what your morals and ethics are. I would d be massively uneasy if Town signed someone like Ched Evans or Lee Hughes. I could never support or join in the celebretions of a goal scored by a convicted rapist.
Posted by: fiveallive, November 21, 2014, 4:21pm; Reply: 24
In football we have Luke McCormick who killed 2 boys permanently disabled there father and McCormick was well over the limit and he's gone straight in to football, also there is Lee Hughes had a career lower league and non-League there a few others, i can see someone taking him on but i don't want our club having any part of it disrupt the whole team dynamic that we have built plus i don't want kids to sing and chant and treat a convicted rapist like a role model to think that's how you treat women.

I think Ched Evens and Clayton McDonald where arrogant especially Evens he thought because he's pro she will just consent anyway and the way he handled himself on the stand proved his guilt he was shaking really nervous if i was innocent i wouldn't be shaking i would want to prove my innocents.
Posted by: fiveallive, November 21, 2014, 4:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from fleabag1970
He was found GUILTY !!! there must be hundreds in Prison who didn't do it .................................................. :-/

lawyer F****ed me Shawshank Redemption lol.

Posted by: mariner91, November 21, 2014, 4:43pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from fiveallive
In football we have Luke McCormick who killed 2 boys permanently disabled there father and McCormick was well over the limit and he's gone straight in to football, also there is Lee Hughes had a career lower league and non-League there a few others, i can see someone taking him on but i don't want our club having any part of it disrupt the whole team dynamic that we have built plus i don't want kids to sing and chant and treat a convicted rapist like a role model to think that's how you treat women.

I think Ched Evens and Clayton McDonald where arrogant especially Evens he thought because he's pro she will just consent anyway and the way he handled himself on the stand proved his guilt he was shaking really nervous if i was innocent i wouldn't be shaking i would want to prove my innocents.

Jesus I hope you don't work in law.

How can you say that until you're in that position?! I know if I was wrongly accused of something, I'd probably shake more than if I knew I'd done it due to the nerves.
Posted by: Meza, November 21, 2014, 4:45pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from fiveallive

I gave evidence in a trail in Lincoln and I was shaking like a sh*ting dog does that make me guilty too....because the prosecutor tried to make me guilty and I never did the crime  :-/
Posted by: fiveallive, November 21, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 28
Clayton McDonald said Ched Evens handled himself badly on the stand and he said that's what made the difference so jury thought he was guilty because he acted guilty where Clayton defended himself on the stand and proved he was innocent either way people take it he was given a guilty verdict and one was innocent. I just think he thought he to big for law and was arrogant in my opinion and thought the girl wouldn't go to the police, every one has a different view i respect everyone's comments either way do any town want him disrupt our squad if we signed him.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 21, 2014, 5:36pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from mariner91

Jesus I hope you don't work in law.

How can you say that until you're in that position?! I know if I was wrongly accused of something, I'd probably shake more than if I knew I'd done it due to the nerves.

Yeah quite. I don't mind admitting that I'd probably shit myself at the prospect of going to the big house (to quote Jim McDonald)
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 21, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 30
I'd personally say Evans was guilty of being a naive idiot in the sense he stupidly went to bed with a drunk woman.

Is that any different to what happens up and down the country most Saturday nights? Not really. Is it a bit odd she filed the complaint after finding out they were footballers?

There's a lot that doesn't add up in the case, not least two men went to trial on the evidence of a girl who claims she can't remember anything. Is Evans this cold callous violent rapist some in the media paint him to be? I'm pretty sure most would agree he isn't, he's served his time. It's not his fault his profession and talents lay in playing football. All rehabilitated criminals deserve the chance at a life, he shouldn't be any different. Some claim he's not showed any remorse. But in reality, would you apologise for a crime you don't believe you committed?

If his judicial review is successful, the media reaction will be very interesting.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, November 21, 2014, 6:59pm; Reply: 31
Not directly related to this situation, but in a more general and theoretical sense, if you have sex with a girl who is worse for alcohol and then ring your mate and say he should come round for some, and your mate is then convicted for rape, doesn't that make you an accessory?

I wonder which is worse - giving a convicted criminal a second chance in life after he has served his sentence or being a chairman and making racist remarks in order to justify hiring a manager who allegedly made racist remarks.

In general, football is like the rest of the world - full of good and bad people and not short of hypocrites.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 21, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 32
He was Guilty of Rape not naivity ..............  why is everyone trying to make excuses for him ? because he is a jack the lad footballer?  He is a Rapist end of !!
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 21, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 33
I'm to put it into a bit of context. How many drunken one night stands do you reckon will go on this weekend? How many of them will result in a 2.5 year prison sentence and a media excrement storm with the sole intention of trying to force that person out of a job?

I personally believe he's guilty of little more than being a naive arrogant idiot.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from fleabag1970
He was Guilty of Rape not naivity ..............  why is everyone trying to make excuses for him ? because he is a jack the lad footballer?  He is a Rapist end of !!

If he is a rapist and at the moment he is,

Then so must be the other bloke who played for us,

Just because he met her somewhere else and she walked to the hotel with him,

Does not give him the right to have his way with her when she was too drunk to say no,

If she was unable to say no to one she was unable to say no to the other,

BUT

Even if Evans appeal fails, he has served his time and he needs to work.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 21, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from grimsby pete

If he is a rapist and at the moment he is,

Then so must be the other bloke who played for us,

Just because he met her somewhere else and she walked to the hotel with him,

Does not give him the right to have his way with her when she was too drunk to say no,

If she was unable to say no to one she was unable to say no to the other,

BUT

Even if Evans appeal fails, he has served his time and he needs to work.

But we arnt the judge and jury , you can't have trial by Fishy ............ I agree he needs to work , we all need to work but Footballer ?? that is up to the clubs in question . The fans / sponsors will then decide whether the club was right........... As for Hughes and that other Guy   .. Ive always said the best way to bump someone off is to run them over , the sentances are just too small . Both of them should still be rotting IMO .
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 7:50pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from fleabag1970

But we arnt the judge and jury , you can't have trial by Fishy ............ I agree he needs to work , we all need to work but Footballer ?? that is up to the clubs in question . The fans / sponsors will then decide whether the club was right........... As for Hughes and that other Guy   .. Ive always said the best way to bump someone off is to run them over , the sentances are just too small . Both of them should still be rotting IMO .

If he was a road sweeper he would have gone back to work no problem,

Just because he is a footballer why should we change the law or the rules ?

As for Hughes that is a different matter all  together he should have been charged with murder.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 21, 2014, 7:55pm; Reply: 37
Im not saying he shouldnt work but as a footballer he is a role model to Kids all over the country . It is a moral dilema but i agree he should be aloud to work . Like i said that is up to Football . I just hope he doesnt end up at BP
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 21, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from fleabag1970
Im not saying he shouldnt work but as a footballer he is a role model to Kids all over the country . It is a moral dilema but i agree he should be aloud to work . Like i said that is up to Football . I just hope he doesnt end up at BP

I know what you are saying but we can not say the law should be changed because he is a footballer,

I do not think he will end up with us, we have Hamish  :)

BUT

I would hate it if he went to another conference team and got them promoted at our expense.
Posted by: mariner91, November 21, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from fleabag1970

Anyone daft enough to see that a footballer raped someone and think it's okay is so thick that there isn't much hope for them anyway.
Posted by: Meza, November 21, 2014, 9:09pm; Reply: 40
I think the sheff utd co chairmans views is spot on for me.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 21, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 41
His career as a front line footballer may be over ( crowd reaction and all that ) but maybe there is something behind the scenes for him in football ( cause that's all he'll know ). I know some will say cleaning kit, but this guy obviously has talent as a footballer and need's now to be given some sort of employment or yet again we've got another burden on the taxpayer.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 21, 2014, 10:55pm; Reply: 42
I wouldn't want him to represent my club. It would be different if he won his appeal but then there would probably be a queue of clubs if that were to happen.

If he has been wrongly convicted I wish him well, if not i believe he is entitled to work / play football but I would struggle with him at GTFC.

It is different to other ex cons because as said elsewhere in this thread rape is such a heinous crime.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, November 22, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 43
If he had been a Taxi Driver, Teacher, in the Armed Forces or many other occupations he would not by law be allowed to continue his profession. So why has he the right to be a footballer. He only has the right to work. Even footballers who are put on the sex offenders list can't work alone coaching children or women. Also every employer can dismiss or not employ anyone if they can prove their criminal record would be decremental to the job, their company or profession.
Posted by: GorgeousGeorge, November 22, 2014, 10:20am; Reply: 44
Quoted from fleabag1970

I don't know about him being a jack the lad, but he's a convicted rapist, that's a fact.
Posted by: KK_DOG, November 22, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
If he had been a Taxi Driver, Teacher, in the Armed Forces or many other occupations he would not by law be allowed to continue his profession. So why has he the right to be a footballer. He only has the right to work. Even footballers who are put on the sex offenders list can't work alone coaching children or women. Also every employer can dismiss or not employ anyone if they can prove their criminal record would be decremental to the job, their company or profession.

You sort of have this right. You are correct about the professions you mention but being a footballer isn't one of them, so he has a right to be a footballer.

Posted by: fleabag1970, November 22, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 46
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge

I don't know about him being a jack the lad, but he's a convicted rapist, that's a fact.

I didnt mean "he" is a jack the lad footballer  I was just questioning the mentality of people sticking up for him and how footballers are peceived by the fans
Posted by: mariner91, November 22, 2014, 11:31am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Because you don't need a CRB check to be a footballer.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 22, 2014, 2:35pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from mariner91

Because you don't need a CRB check to be a footballer.

Or more importantly a DBS ;-)
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 19, 2014, 11:37pm; Reply: 49
Apparently signing for Hartlepool United, will be announced in the morning if true.

Link >> [url=http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ched-evans-signing-for.1008655/]http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/ched-evans-signing-for.1008655/[/url]
Posted by: TonySmith, December 19, 2014, 11:50pm; Reply: 50
I don't know if Evans actually did what he was convicted of or not. I know there are some questions surrounding the conviction. But I do know that he has served his sentence. ,He has a right to seek work. He is not attempting to be a teacher or to work in any capacity relevant to his conviction. If he can find a club to employ him, he should be allowed to resume his career.
Posted by: lukeo, December 20, 2014, 5:54am; Reply: 51
It's a tough one and my view is that i feel he may be hard done by, i may be wrong though. IF i am wrong why shouldn't he play football professionally again? You have murdering sharp objects playing which is 10 times worse. IF he was a teacher or a coach fair enough he should find something else to do.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:47am