Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 12, 2014, 4:24pm
am i the only one who see's the trophy as a good thing this year ?

with youngsters on the verge, and first team pro's that are not getting game time, then let them play, if they do well, fantastic ! if not, nevermind.

but its a good way to let Hannah, Mclaughlin, Bignot, Doig, and youngsters like Venney, Bemrose ect to get first team experience
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 12, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 1
Clogs up our fixture lists. Increases risks of injuries and suspensions. Doesn't really earn us any cash until you get to the semi's.

Tin Pot Competition lets get out of it early so we can get out of this tinpot league
Posted by: forza ivano, November 12, 2014, 4:46pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Clogs up our fixture lists. Increases risks of injuries and suspensions. Doesn't really earn us any cash until you get to the semi's.

Tin Pot Competition lets get out of it early so we can get out of this tinpot league

HEAR HEAR
Posted by: RoboCod, November 12, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 3
Not interested in this trophy AT ALL. Even when we get to the actual final we fail to properly turn up, waste of time for me.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 12, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 4
Get out of it ASAP imo
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 12, 2014, 5:16pm; Reply: 5
Agreed. League is too important this year for distraction.
Posted by: mariner83, November 12, 2014, 5:19pm; Reply: 6
Thing is even if we go out in the 1st round, our league fixtures could still end up backlogged depending on how our opponents do.  Shame it can't be a Tuesday night thing like the league cup.
Posted by: pontoon442, November 12, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 7
Helped wreck last 2 seasons - get out round one.....
Posted by: pizzzza, November 12, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 8
How do you "get out" of it without intentionally throwing a game?
Posted by: Tom13, November 12, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 9
When's the first round draw out of interest?
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, November 12, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 10
I never have understood the 'anti' FA Trophy logic

Last three seasons...

York win it and get promoted
Wrexham win it and lose in play off final
Cambridge win it and get promoted

Didn't harm their chances much - OK, Wrexham didn't quite make it but you know what I am getting at

Does success not breed success? I think the Trophy has been used as an excuse for us not getting promoted - the real reason was we were not quite good enough; we look a lot stronger this season so go for both comps.

I certainly agree play some fringe players - especially as reserve games are a thing of the past and a competitive game would be great for the likes of Hannah, Paddy, Bignot etc - but a 'half and half' philosophy would be OK with me
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 12, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 11
If we could play 2 teams on the same day it would be ok,

The 1st team plays in the league and the other senior players and youths play in the Trophy

The league will not allow that so just let the players who need a game play in the 1st match,

With strict instructions to win the 1st half but lose the game,

Having said all that rubbish,

Town will try and win every game.
Posted by: fiveallive, November 17, 2014, 3:26pm; Reply: 12
The FA Trophy is perfect fro the likes of Draper, Bignot, Walker (Humble and Winfarrah when back from loan), keep Doig ticking over, Paddy, Venney, Bemrose, Barnett, Hannah.

We all know PH will play his full strength team that's why he wants to get as many games out of the way to avoid a backlog when it comes to FA Trophy time.
Posted by: tashee69, November 17, 2014, 6:36pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Stevie Saunders

Last three seasons...

Didn't harm their chances much - OK, Wrexham didn't quite make it but you know what I am getting at

Does success not breed success? I think the Trophy has been used as an excuse for us not getting promoted - the real reason was we were not quite good enough; we look a lot stronger this season so go for both comps.

I certainly agree play some fringe players - especially as reserve games are a thing of the past and a competitive game would be great for the likes of Hannah, Paddy, Bignot etc - but a 'half and half' philosophy would be OK with me

I agree. I think other factors than the FA trophy have brought about our failures in other years. If we was guaranteed promotion or trophy then there's no question, but it doesn't work like that. How many times did Luton fail in the competition but fail to get promoted. Nobody ever seems to look at that side of things.
Posted by: Doubled, November 17, 2014, 7:27pm; Reply: 14
There must be interest in this cup, how many of us went down to Wembley
for the final against Wrexham?
I remember it was bloody freezing!!!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 17, 2014, 7:34pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Doubled
There must be interest in this cup, how many of us went down to Wembley
for the final against Wrexham?
I remember it was bloody freezing!!!

It was cold, so cold I was happy for Wrexham to score in extra time. In fact, I wasn't that bothered in normal time. We should bow out of this daft cup as early as possible so our lads can have one or two valuable free Saturdays. It isn't worth the risk of injury and quiet frankly, the trophy is no better than a door stop.
Posted by: bradzmilne, November 17, 2014, 7:44pm; Reply: 16
Just too completely play devil's advocate, can we afford to miss out on a potential trip to Wembley? Excluding the play offs, it really its the only chance we could get there. Meaning if we don't go for it we could potentially be losing out on half decent prize money and a 5 figure gate in the final.  
Not my point of view but just putting the argument out there.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 17, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 75
We should bow out of this daft cup as early as possible so our lads can have one or two valuable free Saturdays.

1st round win for the fringe/reserves for me.

I know we can't throw games (and there lies the "risk") so there's no guarantees we're not gonna progress to round 3 when the "fixture clash" thingy may bite.

But if we get to Round 2 suppose we could go as weak as possible even if we're trying to win ?

Maybe that's twisted logic though.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 17, 2014, 8:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from bradzmilne
Just too completely play devil's advocate, can we afford to miss out on a potential trip to Wembley? Excluding the play offs, it really its the only chance we could get there. Meaning if we don't go for it we could potentially be losing out on half decent prize money and a 5 figure gate in the final.  
Not my point of view but just putting the argument out there.

Can the supporters afford two trips to wembley in such a short time in vast amount of cases the answer is NO. Even if we win the tinpot cup does the club really make much money after all the expenses are taken out ?
So for me lets get out as quick as possible
Posted by: moosey_club, November 17, 2014, 8:49pm; Reply: 19
As much as i dont want to be in the competition and would accept it if...if we play a second string how about the wider picture?....

with the campaign underway for the new ground then i would think orders from high will be to get to Wembley and promote the club, get the momentum up and beyond the 3200 regulars.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 17, 2014, 9:01pm; Reply: 20
I'm playing Football Manager 2015 and I'm buggered if I can lose in the FA Trophy. Through to the 4th round now after a win at New Mills FC (in front of 87 fans), even the stiffs keep despatching these losers and as I've had to play 6/7 first teamers I've lost Carl Magnay with an Achilles injury and Pittman with another various injury. I could do with the free Saturday's as a lot of my lads are tired as I approach the end of the season and I'm playing Sat - Tues - Sat. Dropped to third.

Is that what you want? Coz that's what will happen!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 17, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 21
The last two seasons we seemed to be getting a good head of steam up and then we don't play anything in the league for a month. which leads to us every Tuesday in feb and march to catch up.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 17, 2014, 10:44pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Stevie Saunders

Last three seasons...

Or to put it another way out of the last twenty years only two of the 32 teams who have been promoted have won the FA trophy in the same season!
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, November 18, 2014, 12:12am; Reply: 23
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Or to put it another way out of the last twenty years only two of the 32 teams who have been promoted have won the FA trophy in the same season!

Law of averages say it should happen again soon then: why not us and this season?
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 18, 2014, 12:27am; Reply: 24
Quoted from 75
I'm playing Football Manager 2015 and I'm buggered if I can lose in the FA Trophy. Through to the 4th round now after a win at New Mills FC (in front of 87 fans)

Awful Town following. ;)

Admit you're slowly winning me over.
Guess moosey is probably right though.

Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 18, 2014, 3:22am; Reply: 25
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Can the supporters afford two trips to wembley in such a short time in vast amount of cases the answer is NO. Even if we win the tinpot cup does the club really make much money after all the expenses are taken out ?
So for me lets get out as quick as possible

Of course they can, we've done it before (and won them both) You might be getting mixed up with what they can afford as opposed to what they can be arsed to spend?  ;D
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 18, 2014, 7:29am; Reply: 26
Quoted from 120797

Awful Town following. ;)

we took our standard 400 but they couldn't find the place and ended up in a pub in Basingstoke. Made the final now!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 18, 2014, 8:06am; Reply: 27
Quoted from 120797

Awful Town following. ;)

Most were banned for overuse of flares and smoke bombs in the previous round
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 18, 2014, 12:15pm; Reply: 28
Let's say we lifted the FA Trophy this year....who cares?

Wouldn't be worth planning a day out in Manchester to brag about it!

If we get to the stage where we're hoping to win it, we've accepted our non-league status - which won't happen with me.

Field a team of youngsters and first-teamers who need playing time, and don't worry about the result.

Posted by: Richard Cranium, November 18, 2014, 3:02pm; Reply: 29
The majority on here would be Wembley glory grabbers anyway.
Buxton, Chasetown & Coalville were for us sightseeing people  8)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2014, 4:10pm; Reply: 30
I think we should take the  Trophy  games as a chance to give our fringe players a proper game,

If we play Bignot, Doig, Disley, McLaughlin ,Hannah, Walker,Humble, Winfarrah,

With a couple of youth players and just see how far they can go.

PS, with a goalkeeper as well. ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 18, 2014, 9:33pm; Reply: 31
The competition is only regionalised up until the 1st Round Proper when we enter. The draw was made for the final qualifying round yesterday so we'll get one of the teams below or a northern based Conference Premier team.

Boston United VS Witton A / Workington
AFC Fylde VS Hednesford Town
Gainsborough Trinity VS Brackley Town
Stockport County VS Colwyn Bay
Bradford (Park Avenue) VS Leamington
King's Lynn Town VS Harrogate Town
Blyth Spar / Halesowen T VS Gresley
Worcester City VS Barrow AFC
Chorley VS Stalybridge Celtic
Tamworth VS Hyde_
North Ferriby United VS Mickleover S / New Mills
Spennymoor / Leek Town VS Chasetown