Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 4, 2014, 7:53pm
Live event 18 to listen to us get the points
Posted by: acko338, November 5, 2014, 1:10pm; Reply: 1
I enjoyed listening to Bill Brewster as John Tonduer's sidekick last night - some honest appraisals and not sanctimonious at all.

Easy to listen to and gave good comments on where we could improve - just didn't have a loaded gun to shoot that ref !!

Far fewer dead moments - obviously knows John well and had a bit of good humoured banter as part of the commentary - more , please !
Posted by: moosey_club, November 5, 2014, 1:44pm; Reply: 2
I thought i heard last night he was described as " starting the Sing When We're Fishing fanzine"......i thought that was Steve Plowes(?) way back when.......can anyone clarify or shed light on that one?
Posted by: nickmariners, November 5, 2014, 2:24pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from moosey_club
I thought i heard last night he was described as " starting the Sing When We're Fishing fanzine"......i thought that was Steve Plowes(?) way back when.......can anyone clarify or shed light on that one?

Dunno whether he was involved with Sing When We're Fishing, but Brewster certainly was among the original crew for When Saturday Comes magazine. He also featured as a talking head pundit on recent BBC TV doc about Northern Soul, when (criminally!!!) he neglected to mention Cleethorpes.

Pedro Plowes not only was an early member of Sing w w F team, but also had the privilege of being our English master at Clee Grammar.

UTM
Posted by: chicaneuk, November 5, 2014, 3:04pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from acko338
I enjoyed listening to Bill Brewster as John Tonduer's sidekick last night - some honest appraisals and not sanctimonious at all.

Easy to listen to and gave good comments on where we could improve - just didn't have a loaded gun to shoot that ref !!

Far fewer dead moments - obviously knows John well and had a bit of good humoured banter as part of the commentary - more , please !

Agreed! Thought he was funny, insightful, and a good companion to Tondeur. Rare day I actually hear someone make JT laugh out loud but he managed it several times.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 5, 2014, 3:23pm; Reply: 5
We were sat just in front of John Tonduer last night,

So if you heard a few swear words directed at the Ref,

It was me.(rant)
Posted by: Perkins, November 5, 2014, 3:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from acko338

Seemed more obsessed with Aswad's tight shorts than the game. Sorry, for me not one of the best co commentators.

Posted by: RoboCod, November 5, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
We were sat just in front of John Tonduer last night,

So if you heard a few swear words directed at the Ref,

It was me.(rant)

Some good banter from what i could hear. Clearly heard "We've not come here to watch you, Ref" after giving yet another match-stopping, attention grabbing trivial offence. He actually ruined the game on the radio, Lord knows what it was like watching from the stands.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, November 5, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 8
Hi chaps, thanks for the kind words. Except for you Perkins. You're off the Christmas card list. Just to clarify: it was me who started Sing When We're Fishing in August 1988, along with Nick Walker, Lloyd  Wright, Mike Baker, with help from Rob McIlveen and Phil Ball. Steve didn't come into the picture until about two years later. I handed it over to him after the first two seasons or so.
Posted by: Sussexmariner, November 5, 2014, 8:52pm; Reply: 9
For what's it's worth I find ex pro punditry  generally boring, predictable and riddled with clichés

Much prefer the "fans view" which I can relate too, well done Bill, and good on radio Humberside and John Tounder for trying something different

Looking forward to hearing more of the same
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 5, 2014, 9:19pm; Reply: 10
I really enjoyed it very much, especially some of the bon mots, so I hope we'll be hearing more of you Bill.

As for grimsby pete, if you were responsible for the "book him, he's tekken 'is boot off!" then you sir, can take a bow.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:43pm