Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: JMT, November 1, 2014, 6:14pm
Got to say it felt alot more positive today in the upper findus and the pontoon making some noise is what i like to see!

So if we can keep this going it's proved to be helpful.

so lets get behind the lads and make some noise for the boys!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 1, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 1
I was expecting a Russ abbot tribute there
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 1, 2014, 7:10pm; Reply: 2
I thought it was dreadful, just waiting for something to happen.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Lower Smiths is dreadful, it's like an audience in a Snooker match.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 7:56pm; Reply: 4
I personally think it was the opposite, an awful atmosphere and has been the same for along time. I have seen some videos of Lincoln fans on youtube and despite there not being many of them they make a good atmosphere regardless of who they are playing.
Posted by: CambsMariner, November 1, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 5
I think the reason for the atmosphere is the fans aren't sure how to react. The moaners, who always used to make the most noise now have nothing much to moan about and the supporters who want to get behind the team are nervous in case we revert back to the team we were at home a few weeks ago. Along with there being so few away supporters they have nothing to bounce off. But the good times are coming back to Blundell Park and the noise will get louder the more the fans gain confidence in the team.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 8:31pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Agree, I thought it was flat as a pancake.
Not often I feel inhibited to shout "Come on Town !" although to be fair, it did pick up.
I guess it'll be a different story in the FA Cup.
Well I hope so !  ??)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from CambsMariner
I think the reason for the atmosphere is the fans aren't sure how to react. The moaners, who always used to make the most noise now have nothing much to moan about and the supporters who want to get behind the team are nervous in case we revert back to the team we were at home a few weeks ago.

Maybe you're right.
I just wonder if it's more a case of expecting the win and people can't get as excited about it..
Got to admit it though, we do have a lot of older supporters and those who just prefer to watch.
In contrast, the Ponny certainly played their part.
Posted by: northbankmariner, November 1, 2014, 8:57pm; Reply: 8
I was in the lower smiths today and here was no atmosphere at all , nothing felt from the upper either. Main stand has always been quiet which leaves just a few in the ponny trying to give it a go. But realistically just how much atmosphere can be created in a ground that's two thirds empty and not many away fans to verbally spar with. The game today was pleasingly too comfortable today to get excited about to be honest.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 9
I really don't think this is something unique to Blundell Park...sign of the times I'm afraid.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 1, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 10
Atmosphere died when it went all seater....add 10 yrs of watching slowly deteriorating football...with dwindling crowds and ...lets be honest.....games like today where we we sit off at 2-0, dont go for jugular against a pathetic opposition and give the fans anything to get excited about then what do you expect?

Posted by: WappingMariner, November 1, 2014, 9:30pm; Reply: 11
I think Huddersfield last season was the last time it felt as though there was an "atmosphere" at BP. The common denominator is the number of fans in the ground. Few away fans means Town fans have nothing to bounce off. Not to mention that the only songs fans in the Main Stands seem to know are "Mariners" and "Sing When We're Fishing". Thankfully our support away from home seems to get better and better. When I go to any home matches I won't even expect some people to get off their backsides when Town score let alone create an "atmosphere".
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 12
It's not just blundell park lacking in atmosphere even Jose Mourinho moaning today saying it was like playing in front of no fans at Stamford bridge, as west leeds has said sign of the times, bring back standing I say.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 12:08am; Reply: 13
It's been terrible all season, our ground has a non league feel to it. As fans, we have a commitment to support the club. Most on here do it financially, I try to support the trust, buy my beer inside the ground instead of the pubs nearby but we also should support the lads vocally. The ground is 2/3 empty nowadays, it is tough but it's like a morgue at home. I don't really know what the answer is, anyone have any ideas?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 2, 2014, 12:19am; Reply: 14
I don't get back much now; maybe a few times a season, but it did seem a bit flat..  However, on TV for the Scunny and Huddersfield games, it sounded great!  I think the main driver of atmosphere is bound to be the crowd.  If the good run continues and it gets more towards the high 3k or maybe over 4k, then it makes it easier to improve the atmosphere just by force of numbers.

For brainstorming's sake (and not intended as definitive answers or silver bullets):

-  Allow fans to transfer into the Pontoon for the 2nd half so we have a full house behind the end we're attacking and where it tends to be noisier
-  Undercut the BP hotel and Imp on beer price and get people in the ground and well-oiled before the game
-  Get town fans in the Osmond End
-  Get promoted
-  Bring back terracing
-  Get a new, properly designed ground with great acoustics and close to the pitch.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 1:07am; Reply: 15
Quoted from 75
The ground is 2/3 empty nowadays, it is tough but it's like a morgue at home. I don't really know what the answer is, anyone have any ideas?

Walk on music !  ;)

Seriously though seems to me we're stuck between lowering adult ticket prices to get more people in (could be in that category myself soon !) and maybe it costing the club much needed dough if they do.

Have to say, think it's a shame the early bird £16 concession has gone.

But yeah, few more people in might not fix the underlying issue anyway.  :-/
Maybe the answer is just to keep winning...

Got to be honest, think we could have won by 5 or 6 today had we gone balls out.
But is that the right thing to do EVERY week when all you're trying to do is notch up enough points over a long season ?

As a paying fan I selfishly want to be entertained !
And tend to instantly cheer on any player picking the ball up in space hoping they'll always sprint forward every time.
It's great to watch ! :)

But if we strive for fan "entertainment" and goals playing 110mph football EACH game I also worry it may lead to squad fatigue come the business end of the season.
However good we are, last thing we'd want is to knacker ourselves out and fall over before reaching the finish line.
So I see both sides to the (hypothetical) argument.

I honestly expect a cracking competitive game v Oxford.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 2, 2014, 5:13am; Reply: 16
£16 early bird hasn't gone
Posted by: lobsterpot, November 2, 2014, 6:20am; Reply: 17
I've suggested for years that we go down the european clubs route and have someone down the front with a megaphone. Say someone who loves the club, is passionate and has the balls to march up and down during the game. Hell, theres 1 of these loonies in each stand that i see!! Anyways, simple process, he screams through the megaphone, crowd responds or joins in. I think the main problem is that people want to sing but because there are so few bodies around them they get embarressed if someone else hears them singing on their own if that makes sense. You try to sing but are always aware that eyes are looking at where the noise has just come from.
Posted by: lukeo, November 2, 2014, 7:07am; Reply: 18
I said a while back we should put the away fans into the pontoon and home fans in the osmond.
The osmond roofing makes for a good atmosphere whereas the pontoons is flat.
We need to forget about 'tradition' and just give it a go for 1 season. It'll look better aswell as we don't
Get many away fans anyway so it'll be all black and white behind both goals!
Posted by: lukeo, November 2, 2014, 7:12am; Reply: 19
Megaphone would be good with a full pontoon but that'll never happen (unless we get a big cup tie)
Posted by: Trawler, November 2, 2014, 7:26am; Reply: 20
Our away support is more enthusiastic presumably because it's a bunch of dedicated individuals who really want to be there, many of whom have been on the lash and want to have a good day out. It's always going to be hard to generate any kind of atmosphere when there are less than 100 away fans at BP. It' seems pointless to try to outsing three men and a dog.  But it would be good if we could capture/encourage some of the enthusiasm our own away supporters have, but at BP. This might be achieved if our hard core support was moved closer to away fans. Look at how good the Lincoln fans were at Sincil Bank and they were right next to us. The only other alternative is free booze.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 2, 2014, 8:04am; Reply: 21
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
I don't get back much now; maybe a few times a season, but it did seem a bit flat..  However, on TV for the Scunny and Huddersfield games, it sounded great!  I think the main driver of atmosphere is bound to be the crowd.  If the good run continues and it gets more towards the high 3k or maybe over 4k, then it makes it easier to improve the atmosphere just by force of numbers.

For brainstorming's sake (and not intended as definitive answers or silver bullets):

-  Allow fans to transfer into the Pontoon for the 2nd half so we have a full house behind the end we're attacking and where it tends to be noisier
-  Undercut the BP hotel and Imp on beer price and get people in the ground and well-oiled before the game
-  Get town fans in the Osmond End
-  Get promoted
-  Bring back terracing
-  Get a new, properly designed ground with great acoustics and close to the pitch.

Myself and Wapping said exactly (very bizarrely) the same points during the week!

*why not sell tickets like they do for airlines. Sell them maybe 6 weeks in advance for a reduced rate then more as demand grows. This for away fans as well.

*get the osmond back! Surely the sub 200 away fans that come every week can be housed in the corner??

*first drink (or round)  reduced in price if bought before the start of the 12:45 kick off. How many people change pub before the match????

I get to maybe 3-4 home games so maybe am not the best to commentate on this, but, away atmospheres are possibly the best in the league, this needs to be replicated at home.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, November 2, 2014, 8:12am; Reply: 22
£16 early bird hasn't gone

It has in the upper ?
Posted by: Garth, November 2, 2014, 8:48am; Reply: 23
Its all about the opposition IMO, when we were in the league and playing teams with a bigger following the atmosphere was always better, but I don`t think it will ever improve much in this basement football.

The atmosphere was OK when we played the likes of Huddersfield etc
Posted by: oldun, November 2, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 24
It will be different next week against Oxford. It will be a better game with more action and more away support, so get yourselves and a few mates down there. To suggest the answer is cheap booze is sad.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 2, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 25
Why is it sad oldun?
Posted by: Tommy, November 2, 2014, 9:21am; Reply: 26
I think it's a lot to do with expectation.

There's no atmosphere in most games now because we're expected to beat most sides we play against. People turn up expecting us to win, often comfortably, and don't think (possibly subconsciously) that the team need much encouragement to do so.

Against Huddersfield, Scunny and even Northampton last season, we weren't expected to win and we had to raise our game. So the crowd responded. Probably include games against the top few sides in our league too.

I know I went mad jumping up and down like a loon when we scored against Huddersfield and Scunny last season. I don't quite celebrate the same in a run of the mill conference game against Welling. Not because I don't care as much but because we are expected to beat them.

And yes the numbers in the ground is the other one for me. Fill the ground and there will be an atmosphere.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 27
The ground has been full against Lincoln the last few seasons and every time it has been a poor atmosphere.
Posted by: gary_elton, November 2, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 28
When I were a lad....  ermmm long time ago...  fans changed ends at half time...

now this could only apply if we kicked toward the Ponny in the first half... but as we have very few visiting fans now...
just stick them in the corner... and allow the Ponny to transfer to the Osmond for the second half... a well stewarded effort
would prevent any hassle from any over exuberant fans...

yes ? no ?  
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:36am; Reply: 29
Quoted from lukeo
I said a while back we should put the away fans into the pontoon and home fans in the osmond.
We need to forget about 'tradition' and just give it a go for 1 season. It'll look better aswell as we don't

I've been saying this for about 30 years now! Can still remember the cauldron of noise as I stood in the Osmond watching Town
beat Notts County 3-1 in the cup (Bob Cumming terrorised them that night) many years ago.

I understand the Pontoon loyalty, but I reckon if they tried the opposite end ONCE there'd be no looking back.
Thought the atmosphere yesterday was pretty poor, in truth.

As for Chelsea...if you price the tickets for middle-class incomes you lose the 'vulgar' working-class noise.
Can't have it both ways.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:57am; Reply: 30
Apparently the young fans who make a racket at away games have had 'meetings' with the club regarding them moving to the corner of the Osmond however the club are totally against the idea. The club  set a date for yesterday for there to be a 'trial' to see how things went but club went back on there word because they are seen as a 'risk group' which the 100 stewards (who stand around and do nothing ) wont be able to control .  If they make the same amount of noise   at home games as they do away then it would change the atmosphere at BP by a significant amount. I can remember a few years ago against Braintree a group of 100 or so fans tried moving to the centre of the pontoon and it was a good atmosphere for the 1st half, the stewards were not happy with the situation and told everyone to move back to there allocated seats.
Posted by: immariner, November 2, 2014, 11:22am; Reply: 31
Why don't they buy tickets for the end of the Main Stand? The two best stands for noise (Main Stand and Osmond) either don't have Town fans in or the fans don't sing.

It still confounds me why those who want to create atmosphere insist on sitting where they do in the Pontoon. Moving to the middle or a better suggestion might be the other side (there's a windguard and the Findus is more likely to join in with chants) and they will be louder.

Regardless of who we're playing I'm always going to support the team vocally. I'm not saying it doesn't help having away fans to bounce off and expectation definitely plays a part but I go to the match (admittedly haven't been in a while) to support my team, not to rally against the opposition.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 2, 2014, 11:26am; Reply: 32
It would be prohibitively expensive to retrofit BP with measures to improve acoustics, and as has already been said, it's about the people in there, both in terms of numbers and demographics.

I would be interested to know how the demographic profile of the BP supporter has changed in the last twenty years, and whether the club has researched this.  It's often said that younger fans create more noise, so I wonder if lower crowds and higher ticket prices lead to the average age of the supporter in the ground doing up.  

Maybe this could be remedied by having cheaper tickets for that crucial youth/student segment.  At the moment, tickets for 15-18 year olds are £12, with tickets for 18 and above at full price of £18 on match day.  Now I'm not sure what research has been done on this segment of our support, but £18 is a hell of a lot of money to be charging a sixth-former or student.  Here we have a key target group (in advertising/marketing speak) who are young, not in full time work, in a town that doesn't have loads of money in it anyway, and we're charging them the same price we charge an employed adult!  How about we see what happens if we have a single youth ticket for Under-21s of say £5-8 and start to try to get young people into the habit of going to the football?  This can create a buying habit and a brand loyalty.  It drives and makes easier the impulse purchase.
Posted by: immariner, November 2, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 33
Yeah alright Jobber! ;) Good ideas though. Junior tickets should be as cheap as possible, a loss leader even, as you need them to have that loyalty that will see them paying full price as adults.
Posted by: Doubled, November 2, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 34
I am not sure how discounting tickets for younger supporters rewards the loyalty of older fans!
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 12:58pm; Reply: 35
The worst places to sit for the more vocal fans at the lower findus and the top right corner of the pontoon. Why do all the noisy fans sit there. Can anyone remember when the Rushden game got called off due to fog a few seasons ago and everyone moved into the main stand corner, the main stand was rocking for the 5 minutes which they got put in there.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, November 2, 2014, 1:45pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Doubled
I am not sure how discounting tickets for younger supporters rewards the loyalty of older fans!

It's not about "rewarding" older fans, but about maximising the number of people in the ground, particularly those who are inclined to make noise and who are being targeted as future long-term supporters who will turn into adult supporters and secure the future of the club.  

Those of us over 30 grew up watching Town when it was cheaper to get in, when you could stand and when we had a few seasons in the second tier.  Someone aged 18 now has only ever known league 2 and conference football and is expected to pay the same as an adult even though they're still at school.  I don't think that's a sustainable way to cultivate a long-term support base for a football club.
Posted by: easypeersy, November 2, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 37
Simple!

Everyone shout, chant, sing more to create a better atmosphere!! It is not rocket science!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from lukeo

Away fans sat on black and white seats doesn't feel right ?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 2, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 39
Its a boring atmosphere cos its boring football, of fairly poor quality and watching teams come to defend for 90 mins in mind numbing.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from immariner
I go to the match (admittedly haven't been in a while) to support my team, not to rally against the opposition.

Good man.
Posted by: ska face, November 2, 2014, 9:50pm; Reply: 41
I think "Grimsbys Finest" has it absolutely on the nose. The fans who actively want to create an atmosphere, and do so to great effect away from home, are victimised and intimidated by officials at the club and stewards who either need to justify their position and wage, or who are nothing more than bullies. That's a fact, I'm afraid to say, and I honestly couldn't give a fiddler's intercourse if Nick Dale or John Fenty don't want to hear it - the club employs grown men who get a kick out of bullying younger people in the Pontoon or spend Saturday afternoons winding people up in order to give them something to do. They have done for years, and anyone who sits anywhere near the left-hand side of the Pontoon will have witnessed countless incidents of this nature.

What impact has this had on the atmosphere? Well, coupled with other factors, it has killed it. Nobody wants to be the person who starts anything off around there for fear of being singled out, pointed out, filmed, dragged around the corner "for a chat", and made to feel unwelcome somewhere they spend their leisure time. When the club have an average of 123 away fans (13/14) and is the second-least visited ground for away fans, narrowly ahead of Gateshead, the stewards and safety officials have (almost) nothing to do in the main, and so the focus falls on home fans. For too long, young fans have been unfairly and excessively targeted at BP.

You have to ask yourself, just how much do the people with the power want to improve the atmosphere and "matchday experience" *spits* at BP, and how much do they just want an easy ride? Because believe me, that's what they're flipping getting - even compared to just a few years ago when we'd regularly pull in 400-500 away fans each week. Fans have commented, away fans have commented, the manager has commented, the chairman majority shareholder has commented, even the players have commented on the the awful atmosphere at home. Those not in the know, so to speak, can put it down to a general malaise or a cumulation of 10 years of garbage, but there is CLEARLY an element of fans who want to create and atmosphere if given the opportunity.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you only have to look at what's happening down the A46 to see what can be achieved with a little understanding from officials at the club. That small group of Lincoln fans have spent years battling with stewards & security officials, have suffered bans and intimidation from the club and stewards. However, once the club grew up a bit and gave them a bit of a break, it's improved the atmosphere no-end. I've absolutely no doubt their fans played a massive part in their victory over us in September.

So what can the club do? Show a bit of actual intent, for a start. Show some actual commitment to improving the atmosphere and not just roll out the usual lines about "making BP a fortress". We're not asking for ground-breaking ticket pricing initiatives, we know that safe-standing will never be installed at BP and we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone. Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

The next three home games - Oxford, Halifax & Kiddy - should see at least 300 away fans from each team, with Lincoln coming just a month later. After that? Macc, Barnet, Telford. Are we expecting many from these teams? All averaging 1300-1600 at home? How about splitting the Osmond? Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand. Believe it or not, fans aren't animals and can be trusted to share a stand without battering each other to death. I'd even look into splitting it for matches against Halifax, Bristol Rovers and Kiddy - why not cap away tickets at 1000-1300 and give a small section of the Osmond to town fans? I'm not claiming to be an expert on ground regulations, but surely this is something that should be investigated by the club if they actually want to improve the atmosphere.

Fans are bored of being treated like animals by the authorities, and are sick to the back teeth of the incessant sterilisation of football at all levels. If town want to address this, now is the time to do it.

I'll not hold my breath.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 2, 2014, 10:03pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ska face
I think "Grimsbys Finest" has it absolutely on the nose. The fans who actively want to create an atmosphere, and do so to great effect away from home, are victimised and intimidated by officials at the club and stewards who either need to justify their position and wage, or who are nothing more than bullies. That's a fact, I'm afraid to say, and I honestly couldn't give a fiddler's intercourse if Nick Dale or John Fenty don't want to hear it - the club employs grown men who get a kick out of bullying younger people in the Pontoon or spend Saturday afternoons winding people up in order to give them something to do. They have done for years, and anyone who sits anywhere near the left-hand side of the Pontoon will have witnessed countless incidents of this nature.

What impact has this had on the atmosphere? Well, coupled with other factors, it has killed it. Nobody wants to be the person who starts anything off around there for fear of being singled out, pointed out, filmed, dragged around the corner "for a chat", and made to feel unwelcome somewhere they spend their leisure time. When the club have an average of 123 away fans (13/14) and is the second-least visited ground for away fans, narrowly ahead of Gateshead, the stewards and safety officials have (almost) nothing to do in the main, and so the focus falls on home fans. For too long, young fans have been unfairly and excessively targeted at BP.

You have to ask yourself, just how much do the people with the power want to improve the atmosphere and "matchday experience" *spits* at BP, and how much do they just want an easy ride? Because believe me, that's what they're flipping getting - even compared to just a few years ago when we'd regularly pull in 400-500 away fans each week. Fans have commented, away fans have commented, the manager has commented, the chairman majority shareholder has commented, even the players have commented on the the awful atmosphere at home. Those not in the know, so to speak, can put it down to a general malaise or a cumulation of 10 years of garbage, but there is CLEARLY an element of fans who want to create and atmosphere if given the opportunity.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you only have to look at what's happening down the A46 to see what can be achieved with a little understanding from officials at the club. That small group of Lincoln fans have spent years battling with stewards & security officials, have suffered bans and intimidation from the club and stewards. However, once the club grew up a bit and gave them a bit of a break, it's improved the atmosphere no-end. I've absolutely no doubt their fans played a massive part in their victory over us in September.

So what can the club do? Show a bit of actual intent, for a start. Show some actual commitment to improving the atmosphere and not just roll out the usual lines about "making BP a fortress". We're not asking for ground-breaking ticket pricing initiatives, we know that safe-standing will never be installed at BP and we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone. Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

The next three home games - Oxford, Halifax & Kiddy - should see at least 300 away fans from each team, with Lincoln coming just a month later. After that? Macc, Barnet, Telford. Are we expecting many from these teams? All averaging 1300-1600 at home? How about splitting the Osmond? Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand. Believe it or not, fans aren't animals and can be trusted to share a stand without battering each other to death. I'd even look into splitting it for matches against Halifax, Bristol Rovers and Kiddy - why not cap away tickets at 1000-1300 and give a small section of the Osmond to town fans? I'm not claiming to be an expert on ground regulations, but surely this is something that should be investigated by the club if they actually want to improve the atmosphere.

Fans are bored of being treated like animals by the authorities, and are sick to the back teeth of the incessant sterilisation of football at all levels. If town want to address this, now is the time to do it.

I'll not hold my breath.

Well argued post mate and no doubt a lot of truth there.

I would just say though that the actual number of fans who have the problem with the stewards is still small. The places where atmosphere is really lacking are those with (probably) older fans who are the most disillusioned, disenchanted and dispirited because they have witnessed the good days before the present crap. Getting their enthusiasm back is going to take more than sorting out a few stewards.

Posted by: MarinerWY, November 2, 2014, 10:22pm; Reply: 43
Agree with so many points on here. Disappointing to hear the club went back on their word re: a trial for theyounger, noise-creators in the Osmond, and completely agree with the well-argued post by Ska Face.

Also can't remember who pointed it out, but ticket prices are a lot for younger fans, who may or may not by employed, studying, working on an apprenticeship wage... for conference footy it's expensive stuff. The fact that there's not full-time student discounts for all ages is a joke. These fans are out future, give them an incentive to come to the footy, it's not like we're playing Leeds and Sheff Weds or games with a big buzz at the moment...
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ska face

I'll not hold my breath.

I sit in the lower findus and this happens all the time. As soon as some young child gets a can of pop out they are straight on the scene just in case a 5 year old child decides to jump over the advertising board and gets past the 40 stewards to attack the away fans with the sharp end of his can of pop. When there is an incident on the pitch close to the lower Findus they are straight up to stand behind the advertising boards as if someone is going to run on the pitch and attack the players or officials. Do they really think that people will run on the pitch and assault a player or official for a prison sentence? We are down to the diehards who generally care about the club. The hooligans who go to the football realise which games which there is a potential for trouble which in this league there must only be 3  games with the potential of disorder.  When was the last time it kicked off in Blundell Park?  Does the club not understand that the hooligans realise that if they kick off inside the ground that they have cctv / stewards / police officers/ 3000+ witnesses to watch them.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 45
As a guide, there should be a ratio of one steward per 250 of theanticipated attendance for a low-risk match.
This ratio should be increased to up to one per 100 of the anticipated attendance where the risk assessment shows a need for a higher level of safety and security management.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/51/53/98/safetyregulations_e.pdf

Other than Lincoln, Bristol Rovers and maybe Wrexham and Chester then I would say all of our matches are low risk matches.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from ska face
we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone.

Lol.

Quoted from ska face
Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

What changes would you like to see being made by the club ?
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, November 3, 2014, 1:57am; Reply: 47
Quoted from moosey_club
Atmosphere died when it went all seater....add 10 yrs of watching slowly deteriorating football...with dwindling crowds and ...lets be honest.....games like today where we we sit off at 2-0, dont go for jugular against a pathetic opposition and give the fans anything to get excited about then what do you expect?

a point i guess BUT When we lose we are not happy, whe3n we draw we are not happy unless its a hard fought away draw and when we WIN we are not happy because we didnt win well enough!!
good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!!!!!!
I am very happy we have won, I am equally pleased that we have turned a bit of a slump around too! I will actually be at the Halifax game so I hope the form continues!
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 3, 2014, 1:17pm; Reply: 48
I think it has much to do with the tempo of the game, I haven't read the just back thread but to be honest I didn't think that much to the game overall, a lucky own goal followed by the best move of the game but after that and for the first 30 minutes of the second half there wasn't much for the crowd to shout about.

For me Datford looked very poor and we should have got right at them in the second half but we didn't.

There is also the fact we have lost around 700 fans due to the poor home performances at the start of the season and they have yet to return.

There has been a good crowd at the Osmond end of the Findus that created a good atmosphere but they seem to have vanished, probably some of that missing 700.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2014, 3:05pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Brisbane Mariner

a point i guess BUT When we lose we are not happy, whe3n we draw we are not happy unless its a hard fought away draw and when we WIN we are not happy because we didnt win well enough!!
good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!!!!!!
I am very happy we have won, I am equally pleased that we have turned a bit of a slump around too! I will actually be at the Halifax game so I hope the form continues!

Haha, i know what you are saying but games like Saturday just gone, it was very one sided, wasnt exactly rivetting stuff, and our style of play just doesnt get you out of your seat...there is more atmosphere when you are losing and you cheer to encourage them on..0-0, 0-1, 0-2 etc, the team didnt need encouraging to a win on Saturday and there was certainly no impetus from a change of tactics to spur the crowd on, the game just drifted on until about 80 mins when a substitution was made.
Swift attacking football, shots from range, blood curdling tackles, punch ups all things which can effect atmosphere but again none of them are on display that often.

Posted by: Chrisblor, November 3, 2014, 3:17pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from 120797
What changes would you like to see being made by the club ?

Read the full post and you'll have an answer to that question.

Posted by: Jaws, November 3, 2014, 3:29pm; Reply: 51
With regards to the megaphone idea - there was plenty on here slating the drum.

The pontoon needs to be segregated into a singing area - the upper left used to be it, but it's just full of kids playing on their iPhones.

I think we'd be in a better position putting flags over seats in the ground thus getting everyone sat closer together.

We're going to have 4,000 seats or more empty every game. Why are we spreading ourselves out (or why is the club letting us) - this kills the atmosphere to begin with.

Everyone is together at most away games and the atmosphere is better - put some lyrics in the matchday programme for those who don't know the words.

If the club is worried about urinating off people in the Pontoon there are more than enough seats elsewhere in the ground - most of which have a better view anyway.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 3, 2014, 3:46pm; Reply: 52

I think we have to allow for the time of year. We could be at the start of a surge up the table (or not!) but to expect big crowds or even the return of the disillusioned after some poor performances and only a few decent ones would be foolish.

If (and it's still a big if) we are knocking in the goals and picking up the points, possibly with a good cup run on top, then that will be the time to see if any lack of atmosphere is really down to the club's policies. We won't know that until we are into New Year.

It's hard to accept but there is a lot of apathy around caused solely by the feeling that the club is still sliding or at best treading water. There are little things the club can do to encourage more youngsters through the gate and there are things that it could do about stewarding but these are small fry. The one thing that will bring in the fans and the best atmosphere is results and then people can start to feel that the club is at last on the up.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 3, 2014, 5:59pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Chrisblor

Read the full post and you'll have an answer to that question.

Well I did but ok, I re-read it and came up with "Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand."

Fair enough but thought he was complaining about stewards and club officials ?

I'm not trying to put down my fellow fans here.
I've been told by stewards to "get behind the white line" myself. (though accept there may be good reasons)

Point I'm making is you surely can't expect the club to have an all seeing eye over every rogue steward.
What practical steps could be put in place to improve things ?
I was expecting something like e.g. a stewards complaints referral system.

Or am I missing the point here cos I've no idea what "intimidated by officials at the club" refers to.

Thanks to the red cross brigade for marking me down again (not that I care) when only trying to understand the issue and maybe help frustrated supporters make a better case for themselves...
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 3, 2014, 6:21pm; Reply: 54
We are not on our own by a long way,

76,000 fans at Old Trafford have been very quiet for over a year now. ;D
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 3, 2014, 6:27pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Jaws
With regards to the megaphone idea - there was plenty on here slating the drum.

The pontoon needs to be segregated into a singing area - the upper left used to be it, but it's just full of kids playing on their iPhones.

I think we'd be in a better position putting flags over seats in the ground thus getting everyone sat closer together.

We're going to have 4,000 seats or more empty every game. Why are we spreading ourselves out (or why is the club letting us) - this kills the atmosphere to begin with.

Everyone is together at most away games and the atmosphere is better - put some lyrics in the matchday programme for those who don't know the words.

If the club is worried about urinating off people in the Pontoon there are more than enough seats elsewhere in the ground - most of which have a better view anyway.

I don't think that would work Jaws. Atmosphere comes from all around the ground. I've never been to a game at BP that has atmosphere with any empty stands. If you think about it, Town away supporters actually need the rest of the opposition ground to be fairly full for their own noise to create any atmosphere. It's just a physical fact of life at football grounds.

The two worst grounds I have ever been to were the old grounds at Sheffield United and Northampton. Both of them were open onto a cricket pitch at one side. Even with 3 sides full the atmosphere was non-existent. It was the same at Halifax when half the ground was closed for safety.

Filling all 4 sides of the ground as full as possible is the only sure way to make atmosphere. That should be our aim.
Posted by: Meza, November 3, 2014, 7:25pm; Reply: 56
Some interesting comments and points.  I mainly go in the upper findus with me old man I use to be in the pontoon during the Buckley years for me it was the main stand for singing your heart out but this was before seating was introduced.   Now im in the upper findus there is no one initiating the singing and normally follows when the ponny sings.  Another thing to bare in mind is the stands and ponny have an a mixture of different ages.  Some fans go to see their beloved town and are not interested in singing, and some do.  I have even witnessed a fan in the upper trying to initiate the singing only to be told to shut up and sit down which I couldn't believe.

I don't know what the answer is but the decline through the years seems to have taken its toll on fans where they no longer feel enthusiastic about singing and chanting only the young ones that haven't witnessed the years of turmoil.

So maybe if we get promoted or are top of the league im sure BP my rock once more.
Posted by: ska face, November 3, 2014, 9:33pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 120797

Well I did but ok, I re-read it and came up with "Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand."

Fair enough but thought he was complaining about stewards and club officials ?

I'm not trying to put down my fellow fans here.
I've been told by stewards to "get behind the white line" myself. (though accept there may be good reasons)

Point I'm making is you surely can't expect the club to have an all seeing eye over every rogue steward.
What practical steps could be put in place to improve things ?
I was expecting something like e.g. a stewards complaints referral system.

Or am I missing the point here cos I've no idea what "intimidated by officials at the club" refers to.

Thanks to the red cross brigade for marking me down again (not that I care) when only trying to understand the issue and maybe help frustrated supporters make a better case for themselves...

Yeah, sorry, went a bit ranto and trailed off away from the point a bit. It's not a dig at specific people or a moan at specific incidents.

The point I'm trying to make is that the actions of safety officials at the club (whether they're in the control box or stands) have, over recent years, had a negative affect on the atmosphere at BP. Alongside that, what could and should be a simple "quick-win" type solution (splitting the Osmond) has been overlooked in favour of a allowing a simple-life for the security officials.

Yes, I'm sure those in charge are more than happy to get through 23 matches a season without even the hint of any kind of incident, but I think this overly cautious approach is damaging the atmosphere at BP and the experience for fans (and potential fans) in terms of providing an interesting matchday experience. There are people in the ground who create an incredible atmosphere in worse stands than the Osmond - everyone connected to the club knows it - but for one reason or another, are reluctant to do so at BP.

Again, I reiterate that I'm not an authority on ground/council regulations on stewarding or segregation, though it would show a real signal of intent if the club were to come out and say that they've given the idea some serious consideration, and/or were willing to trial it for more than just one game.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 3, 2014, 9:45pm; Reply: 58
No worries I fully appreciate your points and you appear to be making some good observations and suggestions.

Suppose my point was if you're unlucky enough to encounter an over-zealous steward, whether it's fair to blame the club for it.
I honestly don't know - I'm not an authority on ground/council regulations on stewarding or segregation either !
Posted by: WappingMariner, November 4, 2014, 11:51am; Reply: 59
FSF have had their say... http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fsf-seek-affordable-ticket-prices-30713671.html
Posted by: fiveallive, November 4, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 60
The last time i remember really good atmosphere was in the game against Lincoln in 2012 i think Lian Hearn scored a couple all game was Scoot & Hurst black white army all game it was good but i was in the thick of Pontoon side that sing, i normally go in the Lower Findus Stand.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 4, 2014, 1:03pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Meza
Some interesting comments and points.  I mainly go in the upper findus with me old man I use to be in the pontoon during the Buckley years for me it was the main stand for singing your heart out but this was before seating was introduced.   Now im in the upper findus there is no one initiating the singing and normally follows when the ponny sings.  Another thing to bare in mind is the stands and ponny have an a mixture of different ages.  Some fans go to see their beloved town and are not interested in singing, and some do. I have even witnessed a fan in the upper trying to initiate the singing only to be told to shut up and sit down which I couldn't believe.

I don't know what the answer is but the decline through the years seems to have taken its toll on fans where they no longer feel enthusiastic about singing and chanting only the young ones that haven't witnessed the years of turmoil.

So maybe if we get promoted or are top of the league im sure BP my rock once more.

Yes I saw that, shortly after he was told to shut up, he disassembled a flag to a point where it no longer could be deemed to be dangerous.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:27pm