Great call but at home
Posted by: Marinerdan, October 27, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 3
Fix!
Posted by: Hagrid, October 27, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 4
Winnable!!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 27, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 5
Hahahahaha
Posted by: acko338, October 27, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 6
Home tie - get there and support the team !!!
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 7
they might bring a few as well
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 27, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 8
Winnable tie, I've been informed Oxford are totally shite this season.
Posted by: BIGChris, October 27, 2014, 7:21pm; Reply: 9
Michael Appleton & Tom Newey return to Blundell Park!
Posted by: codcheeky, October 27, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Chrisblor
Winnable tie, I've been informed Oxford are totally shite this season.

19th in league 2 we should be looking to win this UTM
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 27, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 11
Decent tie and a decent chance of getting into the next round. 2nd best away followings in league 2 last year, expect 500+ from them.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 27, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 12
Oxford are currently 19th in league 2, around the same place Northampton were last season when we played them.  Last 10 games they have won 4, lost 3 and drawn 3
Posted by: fishyrich, October 27, 2014, 7:25pm; Reply: 13
Fuming!!!!!

Newey hasn't been in the Oxford squad since they got hammered 5-1 at Cambridge a few weeks ago!!!!

It all your fault newey!!!!

To be fair, Oxford will bring a load with them, at least 500, kerching!!!!!
Posted by: GrimRob, October 27, 2014, 7:27pm; Reply: 14
Rather have a L2 side who have only won once away than someone near the top of our league. Similar to last year's games that we won.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 27, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 15
Can't grumble at another home draw. We seem to be getting a lot lately.
Posted by: oldun, October 27, 2014, 7:31pm; Reply: 16
Good draw I reckon. Will be a good turn out at BP with a reasonable chance of progressing
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 27, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 17
Oxford fans are unhappy - http://yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/19401/cup-first-round-draw-monday?page=3

Looking forward to them underestimating us and getting shown up like Scunny, Northampton and Huddersfield (almost) did last season.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, October 27, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 18
Oxford fans think its a crap draw but an easy win, lets spoil their day  :)
Posted by: prestonmariner, October 27, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 19
Very winnable that, but will still be tough. Good draw all round and a good test of our real capabilities.
Posted by: Garth, October 27, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 20
TBF its a decent draw for us, winnable and a better away following than your average conference side, nothing to fear
Posted by: mariner chopper, October 27, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 21
While people rightly applauded Boshell...

I hope people don't give Tom Newey the same level of respect.

Simply the worst left back ever to wear the black and white.
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, October 27, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 22
I think you've forgot about Lee Ridley.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 27, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 23
I think you've forgot about Lee Ridley Ronnie Bull.

Posted by: northbankmariner, October 27, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 24
A home tie against league opposition, it's what we all wanted deep down, nothing to fear and all to win!!!!!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 27, 2014, 7:52pm; Reply: 25
At least they will come and try to win,

Not park the bus and hope for a replay,

So should be a good game and a home win hopefully.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 27, 2014, 7:57pm; Reply: 26
Good tie!  We are more than capable of beating them at BP, looking forward to this one.
Posted by: barrattstandman, October 27, 2014, 8:03pm; Reply: 27
Can Tom Newey be all that shite . He's still playing league football, we are not . No matter what you say about him he's always found a league club!
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 27, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Chrisblor

Dave Mobley

Posted by: Chrisblor, October 27, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from barrattstandman
Can Tom Newey be all that shite . He's still playing league football, we are not . No matter what you say about him he's always found a league club!

I saw him playing for Scunthorpe not that long ago. Yes, he's still shite.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 8:14pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from 1739
Decent tie and a decent chance of getting into the next round. 2nd best away followings in league 2 last year, expect 500+ from them.

Going by the reaction on their forum we'll be lucky to see 50, never mind 500!
Posted by: psgmariner, October 27, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 31
Eight (8) games will be moved to a Sunday. Could we be one of them?
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 27, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 32
Winnable for sure !  :)
Foolish to under-estimate them but generally over the years, Oxford aren't the greatest side away.

See there's a home league game v Halifax 3 days later...
Perhaps it's a case of 1 game at a time but if players are out on their feet, guess there may be implications.
I'd simply suggest leading 3-0 at half time...  ;)

Quoted from grimsby pete
At least they will come and try to win,

Not park the bus and hope for a replay

On the same subject, would a replay be bad news for us ?
There seems to be no fixture clashing if it gets replayed on the Tues 18th Nov(?) ?
Suppose I'd rather still be in it than out...
That's not say we maybe shouldn't treat it like a must win game - I wouldn't fancy our chances half as much in a replay.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 27, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Chrisblor
Oxford fans are unhappy - http://yellowsforum.co.uk/thread/19401/cup-first-round-draw-monday?page=3

Looking forward to them underestimating us and getting shown up like Scunny, Northampton and Huddersfield (almost) did last season.

I do enjoy reading stuff like that. Who were they expecting: Bayer Leverkusen?
Posted by: gytone, October 27, 2014, 8:45pm; Reply: 34
Could it be chosen for a live tv game ?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 27, 2014, 8:47pm; Reply: 35
Wonder if my favourite grimsby resident and oxford fan is pleased with the draw
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 8:52pm; Reply: 36
i cant see town being on TV too many lower league teams facing higher opposition such as

Gosport  v Colchester
Chorley or FC Halifax v Bradford City
Warrington Town v Exeter City
Weston-Super-Mare v Doncaster
Weymouth or Braintree v Chesterfield
Plymouth v AFC Fylde
Canvey Island or Havant & Waterlooville v Preston
Coventry v Worcester City
Hartlepool v East Thurrock

Posted by: ginnywings, October 27, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

I do enjoy reading stuff like that. Who were they expecting: Bayer Leverkusen?

And the usual comments..........shitehole........freezing.......grim.......smells of fish.......yadda yadda.

Poncey fookers.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 27, 2014, 9:02pm; Reply: 38
Is there any parking for their sidecar.

And the only reason opposing fans hate coming to gy, whenever they mention fish, it reminds them of their mrs!
Posted by: barralad, October 27, 2014, 9:06pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Teestogreen
Dave Mobley

That Sir is a very good call!!
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

And the usual comments..........shitehole........freezing.......grim.......smells of fish.......yadda yadda.

Poncey fookers.

If you come from the A46 there is no fishy smell, does the A180 smell of fish when you come into town.  
Do you know what who gives a shizenhousen what they think.  They are very cautious about the tie hence why the slate us to make them feel better, the bunch on toffee noes sods lol.

We have John Lewis is name is a SHOP...his name is a SHOP we have John Lewis and his name is a SHOP......Grimsby.
Posted by: Grimal, October 27, 2014, 9:23pm; Reply: 41
There's a knob on the Oxford forum lives in Lincoln called Lincolnyellow, why would someone travel from Lincoln to Oxford to watch a sh!t team when he could watch a load of crap in his home town.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 9:28pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Grimal
There's a knob on the Oxford forum lives in Lincoln called Lincolnyellow, why would someone travel from Lincoln to Oxford to watch a sh!t team when he could watch a load of crap in his home town.

Originally from Oxford maybe!!

If I moved to Oxford, I'd still try to get back to BP rather than watch Oxford. Hardly grounds for calling the bloke a knob!
Posted by: Grimal, October 27, 2014, 9:32pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin

If I moved to Oxford, I'd still try to get back to BP rather than watch Oxford. Hardly grounds for calling the bloke a knob!

KIND NOBLE OXFORD BLOKE. ;)
Posted by: barralad, October 27, 2014, 9:34pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Les Brechin

A few on here will know Baz Pinner - celebrated Oxford fan of this parish who has lived in Grimsby many a year. He used to pick up a lad in Lincoln on his way to Oxford. I have nothing but respect for people prepared to travel half way down the country to follow their team. Look how many exiles we have.
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 27, 2014, 9:41pm; Reply: 45
They all seem to think that "Grimsby is sh1te" until somebody with half a brain pointed out that we play in Meggies. Had two very enjoyable years in Oxford in 1984 to 1986, but that's probably because I never set foot into the Blackbird Leys estate, now that was a hell hole.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 27, 2014, 9:55pm; Reply: 46
Their away record is not very good (not that we have a good home record).   Only the bottom team and I think Accrington have conceded more away league goals this season.
Posted by: Grimal, October 27, 2014, 9:56pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from barralad

A few on here will know Baz Pinner - celebrated Oxford fan of this parish who has lived in Grimsby many a year. He used to pick up a lad in Lincoln on his way to Oxford. I have nothing but respect for people prepared to travel half way down the country to follow their team. Look how many exiles we have.

I travel all over the country to follow my team, when we play away. UTM.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 27, 2014, 10:06pm; Reply: 48
I'm going to say it - Newey wasn't that bad. We've certainly had loads worse in the past ten years.

Didn't he fall out of favour after a fall out with Mike Newell? Surely he gets some kind of retrospective brownie-points for that?
Posted by: LH, October 27, 2014, 10:12pm; Reply: 49
If we can beat one ex-player from the Newell era in every round of the FA Cup I'll be happy.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 27, 2014, 10:12pm; Reply: 50
How many home draws have we had in the FA Cup over recent years?   Anyone know?
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 10:12pm; Reply: 51
I thought Newey was a decent fullback although tends to make a few mistakes but I don't know what other fans have said when at his former clubs.
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 52
Can anyone remember if we've had many scalps in the FA Cup?

I can't think of many wins against higher opposition the  ones I seem to remember have been in the league cup\carling cup\rumbelows cup.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
How many home draws have we had in the FA Cup over recent years?   Anyone know?

8 out of the last 10 have been at home.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8388374
Posted by: Abdul19, October 27, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Meza

I can't think of many wins against higher opposition the  ones I seem to remember have been in the league cup\carling cup\rumbelows cup.

Our FA Cup record had been pretty miserable for years, but we beat 2 League 2 teams last year.

We also beat Port Vale (also league 2) in 2011/12 and Carlisle (league 1 when we were league 2) in 2007/08.
Posted by: DocTower, October 27, 2014, 10:30pm; Reply: 55
Wonder if my favourite grimsby resident and oxford fan is pleased with the draw

Baz will be very happy
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 10:33pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Meza

88/89 when we beat Middlesborough at Ayresome Park when we were 4th bottom of Division 4 and they were top half of Division 1. We then beat Division 3 Reading in a replay before bowing out to Wimbledon.

The 3-0 replay win over West Ham in 95/96 when Laws and Bonetti shook hands on the pitch. We then drew with Chelsea before losing at Stamford Bridge.

97/98 when we beat top flight Norwich 3-0 at home before losing at Leeds.

Not really done much since then though apart from last season.
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 10:33pm; Reply: 57
From the link Les posted the West Ham game was the only one i seem to recall but I wasn't 100% sure it was in the FA CUP.  We've had some good times and some good fixtures, Chelsea, Leeds, and of course the run leading up to Wimbledon with hundreds of harry haddocks.
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 10:35pm; Reply: 58
And obviously our history of making 2 semi finals but that was a long time ago.
Posted by: barralad, October 27, 2014, 10:37pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Abdul19

Our FA Cup record had been pretty miserable for years, but we beat 2 League 2 teams last year.

We also beat Port Vale (also league 2) in 2011/12 and Carlisle (league 1 when we were league 2) in 2007/08.

Going back a bit. We beat Norwich in 1997/98 when they were Championship and we were League 1. In 95 we mullered West Ham in a replay 3.0. Then who can forget the cup run of 88/89 and the humbling of Middlesbrough (and Reading who were in a higher league than us) but that's about as good as it gets over my 40 odd years.
(We did beat Preston in 72/73 before losing to Coventry when they were Division 2 and we were Division 3 but hardly a "scalp")

Edit:- Bloody Nora Les-quick off the mark!
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 10:38pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Meza
And obviously our history of making 2 semi finals but that was a long time ago.

I think Big Chris and Barralad went to both!  :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 27, 2014, 10:46pm; Reply: 61
I remember we beat Man City away with cannonball Ron Cockerill scoring twice in a 2-1 win.
Posted by: Meza, October 27, 2014, 10:50pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Les Brechin

Haha.  I can remember being in the ponny during the 88 fa cup game vs Wolves.   They had Steve Bull and Andy Mutch two lethal strikers although I think SB was injured.  And the goal from Cockers atleast I think it was him.  We scored after having a corner. Then again I could be just making it up lol.
Posted by: barralad, October 27, 2014, 11:04pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Les Brechin

Chris took me in his car. I stood on an orange box in the boys enclosure
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 27, 2014, 11:06pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Meza

Haha.  I can remember being in the ponny during the 88 fa cup game vs Wolves.   They had Steve Bull and Andy Mutch two lethal strikers although I think SB was injured.  And the goal from Cockers atleast I think it was him.  We scored after having a corner. Then again I could be just making it up lol.

Yeah, we beat Wolves (who were Top of Division 3 at the time) 1-0 and the goal was indeed scored direct from a corner by Cockers. We then beat Rotherham (who were Top of Division 4 at the time) 3-2 before we won at Ayresome Park.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 28, 2014, 12:37am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Abdul19
We also beat Port Vale (also league 2) in 2011/12

The night Serge Makofo was a hero !  
Good night that.  :)
After that I think we screwed it up v Salisbury at home in the 2nd round...  :o
Posted by: BIGChris, October 28, 2014, 6:51am; Reply: 66
Quoted from barralad

Chris took me in his car. e

That's a hell of an accusation!
Posted by: BIGChris, October 28, 2014, 7:02am; Reply: 67
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I'm going to say it - Newey wasn't that bad. We've certainly had loads worse in the past ten years.

?

Until reading this thread I never knew Neweys first name was Tom. Probably brainwashed over the years by the gent who sits behind me. Always thought his name  was 'flipping' Newey!

I felt he cost us lots of goal because he rarely stopped a cross, he always stood off then blamed the central defenders if/when we conceded.
Not the tallest but had some reasonable games in the centre of defence where he was playing a lot for Oxford. He doesn't seemed to have played since the 5-1 defeat at Cambridge but don't know if that is after being dropped or injured
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 28, 2014, 7:04am; Reply: 68
Fair play to newey (and toner) they got a round in for a few of us in the Punch and Judy after the franchise scum match.
Posted by: Garth, October 28, 2014, 8:51am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Les Brechin

88/89 when we beat Middlesborough at Ayresome Park when we were 4th bottom of Division 4 and they were top half of Division 1. We then beat Division 3 Reading in a replay before bowing out to Wimbledon.

The 3-0 replay win over West Ham in 95/96 when Laws and Bonetti shook hands on the pitch. We then drew with Chelsea before losing at Stamford Bridge.

97/98 when we beat top flight Norwich 3-0 at home before losing at Leeds.

Not really done much since then though apart from last season.

I remember that game bit rough in the terraced side streets after the match, their manager a scot his name escapes me got sacked the next day
Posted by: grimps, October 28, 2014, 9:21am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Garth

I remember that game bit rough in the terraced side streets after the match, their manager a scot his name escapes me got sacked the next day

Bruce Rioch ?
I dont think he was sacked either
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 28, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 71
Quoted from BIGChris

Until reading this thread I never knew Neweys first name was Tom. Probably brainwashed over the years by the gent who sits behind me. Always thought his name  was 'flipping' Newey!

I felt he cost us lots of goal because he rarely stopped a cross, he always stood off then blamed the central defenders if/when we conceded.
Not the tallest but had some reasonable games in the centre of defence where he was playing a lot for Oxford. He doesn't seemed to have played since the 5-1 defeat at Cambridge but don't know if that is after being dropped or injured

I did say he wasn't that bad, not that he was a pastier, short-haired Paolo Maldini ;) I just don't really understand why he always gets highlighted as some kind of disaster when you think of some of the other players we've had. As somebody said earlier in the thread, since leaving us he's consistently played at a higher level than Town have.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 28, 2014, 9:59am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Garth

Bruce Rioch was their manager at the time but he wasn't sacked the next day.

Our game was in January 1989 and a quick look on Wiki shows that Rioch didn't leave them until March 1990 when he was replaced by Colin Todd.

I know what you mean about it being rough around there. I remember that their fans were pelting us with coins as we left the ground and the Old Bill kept us back until they had cleared their fans.

We'd parked not to far away from the ground but the signposts were pretty much useless so when I spotted a car in front with a Grimsby number plate I followed him. However, he was a bit lost too and ended up turning down a dead end with loads of shady looking characters on a dingy terraced street. I think that was the fastest U-turn I've ever done.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 28, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 73
They seem a miserable/over confident bunch on their forum, lets hope we beat them.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, October 28, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 74
I class Oxford fans in the same class as Northampton fans
Posted by: BIGChris, October 28, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 75
Interesting that Appleton thinks it will give some of their fringe players an opportunity to impress!
Posted by: BIGChris, October 28, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from cmackenzie4
They seem a miserable/over confident bunch on their forum, lets hope we beat them.

One guy is thinking we will put our prices up because we have drawn them?

They shouldnt be surprised at the challenge they face. They spent 4 seasons? here not so long ago
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 28, 2014, 12:48pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from BIGChris

They shouldnt be surprised at the challenge they face. They spent 4 seasons? here not so long ago

You'd think they might have a touch more humility as well.
Posted by: JMT, October 28, 2014, 1:36pm; Reply: 78
Honestly, if there's one thing i want even more now, it's for us too smash them.

never had any reason to dislike the Oxford bunch before, but now the majority of them seem over confident sharp objects.
Posted by: Garth, October 28, 2014, 2:15pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Les Brechin

Bruce Rioch was their manager at the time but he wasn't sacked the next day.

Our game was in January 1989 and a quick look on Wiki shows that Rioch didn't leave them until March 1990 when he was replaced by Colin Todd.

I know what you mean about it being rough around there. I remember that their fans were pelting us with coins as we left the ground and the Old Bill kept us back until they had cleared their fans.

We'd parked not to far away from the ground but the signposts were pretty much useless so when I spotted a car in front with a Grimsby number plate I followed him. However, he was a bit lost too and ended up turning down a dead end with loads of shady looking characters on a dingy terraced street. I think that was the fastest U-turn I've ever done.

It must have been someone else then Willy Maddren? I remember it being a night game and we hammered them  
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 28, 2014, 2:36pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Garth

It must have been someone else then Willy Maddren? I remember it being a night game and we hammered them  

I've found the game and manager you mean. It wasn't Willie Maddren (he was English, born in Teeside) but it was Bobby Murdoch who was sacked the day after we won 4-1 there in 1982.

We also won 5-1 there in 1984, a game that I went to.
Posted by: Biccys, October 28, 2014, 2:59pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Les Brechin

I went in a minibus with a load from Louth. We asked a copper where it would be safe to park said bus and predictably he said "Back in Grimsby... If by some strange quirk of fate you do get a result today, I wouldn't be anywhere near the area if I were you..."

We were smarter than that though. With our genius we covered the "Ready-Rent-A-Van Grimsby" logos all over the vehicle with black tape so they'd never know where it was from.

Yeah, every single bit of tape had been torn off when we got back to the van after the game! Surprisingly, not a single tyre was sleashed or even deflated.

But we were happy...
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2014, 5:17pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
I class Oxford fans in the same class as Northampton fans

Yeah, I read that entire thread in the persecuted tones of Ian Atkins!
Posted by: Garth, October 28, 2014, 5:43pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've found the game and manager you mean. It wasn't Willie Maddren (he was English, born in Teeside) but it was Bobby Murdoch who was sacked the day after we won 4-1 there in 1982.

We also won 5-1 there in 1984, a game that I went to.

Thats the one Les, he looked and sounded like Steve Evans, I still can`t believe we got out of Borough in one piece
Posted by: Jaws, October 28, 2014, 6:11pm; Reply: 84
Took 362 to Carlisle at the weekend - should bring a few here.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 28, 2014, 6:43pm; Reply: 85
Oxford are only a few places higher than us on the pyramid of league places.  Nothing  to shout about.  That is only academic though!!
Posted by: kevikov, October 28, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 86
You'd think they would be smarter.....  8)
Posted by: captainox, October 28, 2014, 10:08pm; Reply: 87
Evening all, Oxford fan here. Cheers to the admin for letting me register!

So 8th November then.
It's hardly a draw that captures the imagination for our fanbase, many were hoping for the opportunity to visit a new ground, myself included.
Grimsby Telegraph using twitter well after the draw even picked up my tweet and used it in this piece http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/SAY-Oxford-United-fans-relishing-prospect-facing/story-23659545-detail/story.html

(shame they didn't read the one before and understand where it was coming from though)

I think the main negatives for us are;
- It falls between away games at Carlisle (saturday just gone) and York (week after the FA Cup), so three long trips doesn't do anyone's bank account any favours.
- Playing any Conference team brings back some dark dark memories.
- It's a bit of a trek; 4 hours by train, not much shorter in the car
and probably the main one - We'll lose 1-0 and JP Pitman will score the winner - It is bound to happen!

Saying all that, 362 crazy people went to Carlisle on Saturday and we have a fair few northern exiles so perhaps around 250 will come on the 8th. I wouldn't expect any/many more than that though.

In terms of us this season, we're playing the best football in years but it's far too pretty for League Two. We aren't physical enough and lose the midfield battle far too easily whilst our inability to defend crosses is also a huge problem. If Appleton can come up with a Plan B instead of his "Plan B is Plan A" quote then we might have a chance of looking towards the top half. In our recent thrashing by Cambridge, we actually had more possession but gave the ball away and got punished time after time. I'd say this is a very winnable game for you lot.

In terms of players that have played for both, just Tom Newey at our end (I think), he doesn't really fit Appleton's style and has been dropped from the entire squad for the last three games (after being ever present) with an 18yr old loanee form Charlton taking his place. JP Pitman could never keep fit at Oxford but looked a good player on the rare occasions he did play.

Always keep an eye out for Grimsby's results - I consider you a league club and really hope it's sooner rather than later that you come back up to the league.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, October 28, 2014, 10:17pm; Reply: 88
Cheers captainox, your views are always welcome unless you win, then we don't want to see a single post from you ;-)
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2014, 10:18pm; Reply: 89
Cheers Captain Ox.

That's standard journalism from the Telewag ;)

I'm hopeful it'll be a decent game. It'll be nice to play a side at home that doesn't just stick 11 men behind the ball from kick off!

The Cup was good to us last year, so it'd be nice to do the same again.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 28, 2014, 10:23pm; Reply: 90
Mind games alert ?  ;)
He seems a decent bloke so nothing personal but word of caution.
Careful what you accept at face value from rival fans...

Welcome captainox  :)
Suprised you say you have dark memories after managing to get out !
What happened to the promotion ones ?
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 28, 2014, 10:57pm; Reply: 91
I remember when we played them at BP once, might even have been the last time they were here. They had a foreign manager, Argentinian or Uruguayan I think and they played this weird system of leaving 3 players up when we had a corner, so we had to take 4 players out the area to mark them. It was a strange to watch. I don't think he lasted in the job very long.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 28, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from 120797
Mind games alert ?  ;)

I think you think too much 80s ;)

He's a bloke on a messageboard, not Michael Appleton speaking to the press!
Posted by: barralad, October 29, 2014, 8:34am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Abdul19

:)
Posted by: biggles9999, October 29, 2014, 9:16am; Reply: 94
Quoted from Les Brechin
I remember when we played them at BP once, might even have been the last time they were here. They had a foreign manager, Argentinian or Uruguayan I think and they played this weird system of leaving 3 players up when we had a corner, so we had to take 4 players out the area to mark them. It was a strange to watch. I don't think he lasted in the job very long.

Ramon Diaz, made a decent career for himself managing back in Argentina mind. Think he's just won the Argentinian League.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 29, 2014, 9:48am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Les Brechin

If they've  seen our corners of recent times they'll be leaving 8 men up front  :-/
Posted by: captainox, October 29, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Les Brechin

The last time we played at BP was a 1-1 draw in August 2005, Chris Hargreaves scored a last minute equaliser for us.

The time before (December 2004) would have been with the foreign manager - Ramon Diaz. Infact, it would have been one of his first games  before he managed to bring any of his own players in. (again it was 1-1) He was an excellent manager for us and left in very strange circumstances. (publically announced as failed contract talks) Some argument with our old chairman that resulted in him and his technical staff being banned from the stadium. Even when they tried to pay at the turnstile for the stand behind the goal, stewards were ordered to refuse them entry. All they wanted to do was say bye to the fans.
It was a strange time at OUFC, we suddenly had a Uruguayan left back, two Argentinian central midfielders and a host of European players on trial, not to mention, his two assistants, a doctor, a translator and three scouts - all Argentinian. His two sons also played for us so our team featured surnames such as Diaz, Corbo, Raponi, Comminelli, Karam. It was quite a magical few months but none of these blokes could really get up for away games at Darlington or a Friday night game at Scunthorpe.

It was after Diaz that Brian Talbot came in, ruined the team, got sacked and then we got relegated.

As for dark memories of the conference, they still cling on unfortunately, but there are some lighter ones; having 80% of the crowd away at Forest Green with the FGR fans being kept in after the game, playing the FA Trophy away at Sudbury and the website/radio team having to sit on top of a car to commentate and report on the match.
But trips to Farsley, Barrow, Northwich etc. will scar me forever.
Posted by: captainox, October 29, 2014, 3:56pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from 120797
Mind games alert ?  ;)

Welcome captainox  :)
Suprised you say you have dark memories after managing to get out !
What happened to the promotion ones ?

If only it were mind games! I just enjoy talking to opposition fans in a friendly way. Can't be doing with alll the pointless sh!t that goes on over twitter etc. "We've got more fans than you" - who cares, it's the result that matters at the end of the day.

Touched on the dark memories in post. No doubt winning at Wembley was the best day of my life but I think the four years experience has made me very aware of how lucky we are to be back in the football league.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Abdul19

Well I guess you're most probably right.

On the other hand it could be anybody !
Could be Appleton's brother/club scout, you just don't know !

I agree with his sentiment about the pointless biccering on twitter.
But are any GTFC fans gonna be moving over to the Oxford website for a friendly natter ?
Are any of us gonna be offering a full rundown of our season progress to date ?
Can't see it myself...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be friendly at all.
Quoted from captainox
it's the result that matters at the end of the day.

Simply be careful !...
Posted by: captainox, October 29, 2014, 8:11pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from 120797

Well I guess you're most probably right.

On the other hand it could be anybody !
Could be Appleton's brother/club scout, you just don't know !

I agree with his sentiment about the pointless biccering on twitter.
But are any GTFC fans gonna be moving over to the Oxford website for a friendly natter ?
Are any of us gonna be offering a full rundown of our season progress to date ?
Can't see it myself...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be friendly at all.

Simply be careful !...

This is actually amazing

@captainox on twitter - I'm sure this will give you enough detail to show I'm not a spy ;)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from captainox
This is actually amazing

Well not really, there's been rival fans come on here playing mind games before..

Can't check twitter I don't use it, but I'll take your word for it.

Frankly I'm not gonna say sorry as I never said you were anything, I only expressed caution.
In any case, I'd never apologise to a rival fan on my own team's site.

I'll clap the oppositions supporters at home but I'm not a big one for chumming up with rival supporters.
Each to their own...

Posted by: Abdul19, October 29, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 101
[img]http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/resources/images/3145696.jpg?type=articlePortrait[/img]

"Scouting? No mate, none of that nonsense. Just infiltrate The Fishy instead"  ;)
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 29, 2014, 9:16pm; Reply: 102
;D
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 30, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 103
Quoted from Abdul19
[img]http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/resources/images/3145696.jpg?type=articlePortrait[/img]

"Scouting? No mate, none of that nonsense. Just infiltrate The Fishy instead"  ;)

Excellent!
Posted by: captainox, October 30, 2014, 4:49pm; Reply: 104
Tom Newey has now gone out on loan so definitely won't be seeing him.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 31, 2014, 12:47pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from 120797

Well not really, there's been rival fans come on here playing mind games before..

Can't check twitter I don't use it, but I'll take your word for it.

Frankly I'm not gonna say sorry as I never said you were anything, I only expressed caution.
In any case, I'd never apologise to a rival fan on my own team's site.

I'll clap the oppositions supporters at home but I'm not a big one for chumming up with rival supporters.
Each to their own...

Do you suffer from paranoia episodes 80s ffs ?
Posted by: acko338, October 31, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from captainox
Tom Newey has now gone out on loan so definitely won't be seeing him.

Still in the League, so someone still rates him !!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 31, 2014, 4:50pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Do you suffer from paranoia episodes 80s ffs ?

I secretly knew you were just trying to get me ;)
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:58am