Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 20, 2014, 9:14am
I reckon Carl has been the signing of the season. He has put in some excellent performances despite being moved around the back four and for me, he is nailed on for player of the year! Not bothered if it's still October, I've already filled my nomination form in!! How Gateshead decided to release him, I will never know.

I know we have this one year contract policy but I do think in certain situations and for certain players we should look to add an additional year around Christmas time and along with established players like Aswad Thomas and Shaun Pearson, Carl should be offered a new deal any time soon. Effectively, when players contracts are up, we are in a bidding war if players have done well for us. The manager knows the players personality by now, he knows which players are going to give their all. Why risk losing them on frees? They will only have to be replaced with players you know little about?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 20, 2014, 9:31am; Reply: 1
No arguments there, he's been superb. There seems to be plenty of "option for another year" type deals that are revealed at the end of the season. Hopefully Magnay's on one of those.
Posted by: fleabag1970, October 20, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 2
It is a GREAT point !!  I wonder how many points were lost after xmas in the last two seasons because players didnt want to put their foot in ??  Magnay , Clay , Brown should all be given that extra year now if we are serious about moving forward IMO
Posted by: jonnyboy82, October 20, 2014, 10:19am; Reply: 3
Totally agree.

Been brilliant for us and would like to sign him up for longer but  history wise we as a club dont really discuss contracts until the end of the season.

Would like him to be on a longer deal.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 20, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 4
I am sure we will have an option on him for a second year,

So he will still be with us in L2. :)
Posted by: psgmariner, October 20, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 5
I would imagine Carl would want to know what league we will be in next season before committing. No harm in asking though as some players just want stability and security etc.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 20, 2014, 12:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from psgmariner
I would imagine Carl would want to know what league we will be in next season before committing. No harm in asking though as some players just want stability and security etc.

Can't we just include a clause where his contract changes if we are promoted? Works on FM anyway!
Posted by: fiveallive, October 20, 2014, 12:42pm; Reply: 7
Yeah he's been excellent player for us, i would rest him against Guiseley he's played a lot of football this season give him a rest.
Posted by: rancido, October 20, 2014, 1:45pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 75
I reckon Carl has been the signing of the season. He has put in some excellent performances despite being moved around the back four and for me, he is nailed on for player of the year! Not bothered if it's still October, I've already filled my nomination form in!! How Gateshead decided to release him, I will never know.

I know we have this one year contract policy but I do think in certain situations and for certain players we should look to add an additional year around Christmas time and along with established players like Aswad Thomas and Shaun Pearson, Carl should be offered a new deal any time soon. Effectively, when players contracts are up, we are in a bidding war if players have done well for us. The manager knows the players personality by now, he knows which players are going to give their all. Why risk losing them on frees? They will only have to be replaced with players you know little about?

I wasn't aware the club had a one year policy for contracts! I know a lot of players are signed for one season only but that is just a safe guard in case they either don't turn out as thought or maybe not envisaged as able to play at a higher level. I'm sure PH will have already seen what Magnay is capable of and I'm sure he could easily hold his own in League 2.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 20, 2014, 6:08pm; Reply: 9
or.....well we cant go offering players contracts when we dont know where we will playing and what the budgets will be.....which has been something of a club mantra come February/March
Posted by: BIGChris, October 20, 2014, 6:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
or.....well we cant go offering players contracts when we dont know where we will playing and what the budgets will be.....which has been something of a club mantra come February/March

It has but also Pearson and McKeown have in recent years been offered extensions in advance of current deals expiring
Posted by: moosey_club, October 20, 2014, 6:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from BIGChris

It has but also Pearson and McKeown have in recent years been offered extensions in advance of current deals expiring

with Mckeown only signing as he felt bad about the Gateshead incident. Its a thin line between securing decent players and getting stuck with a Butler...hopefully we will have a 2 year clause written in.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:00pm