Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 12:04pm
Now I am not saying hurst should stay, as I am undecided myself- but those that are so vocal in waiting change here are two questions.

1- who would you replace hurst with that you would be very confident in bringing an upturn in results

2- how realistic do you actually think this would be

I am seriously struggling to think of any realistic targets which I would be very confident in bringing better results with our squad.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 9, 2014, 12:08pm; Reply: 1
1. The California raisins

2. Not very

Sorry for the sarcasm. I've given up
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 12:09pm; Reply: 2
1. I don't know

2. I don't know

BUT

Until we improve I will carry on moaning.
Posted by: denni266, October 9, 2014, 12:13pm; Reply: 3
How many times has this bee asked.
1 yes he should go
2 Ronald Mcdonald would do a better job than hurst
Posted by: psgmariner, October 9, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 4
1) Brian Law or Steve Burr
2) Impossible to quantify but I would be more confident than now.
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from denni266
How many times has this bee asked.
1 yes he should go
2 Ronald Mcdonald would do a better job than hurst

Haven't logged on for ages and haven't got the time to trawl through all the well thought out posts like your one.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 9, 2014, 12:30pm; Reply: 6
There seems to be widespread support amongst fans that there is little hope now for a big improvement in performances and results this season. That is a very damming position to be in.

Not being able to identify a potential good manager to bring in does not prevent the Club from parting company with the manager now.  You never know who would apply until you try.

The fans are staying away for their own individual reasons. The need for change is about reaching tipping point on a number of levels. The increase in pressure for better results might well lead to "failure" anyway, even if we do not reach the play-offs this season.    

The fans' voices cannot be ignored in the long-term.  Unless at Newcastle.

I can see this season being one where we just miss out on the play-offs.  There is a lot of competition from good teams for the 4 places.  

The long-term planning for the following season might just have to start  this month.  A new manager might be best.  Hurst has made too many bad decisions, has has also acted later than he should have done or not at all.   (The lack of good, fit strikers scoring goals being a main one).  Ironically, the midfield has been poor for about 12 years.  This year we have a much stronger midfield.          

Posted by: 3610 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 12:31pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from psgmariner
1) Brian Law or Steve Burr
2) Impossible to quantify but I would be more confident than now.

Burr is the only one I could think of myself.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 9, 2014, 12:36pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from 3610
Now I am not saying hurst should stay, as I am undecided myself- but those that are so vocal in waiting change here are two questions.

1- who would you replace hurst with that you would be very confident in bringing an upturn in results

I am seriously struggling to think of any realistic targets which I would be very confident in bringing better results with our squad.

I really despair at posts like this. It is not up to the fans to find a replacement that would be down to the Board, and that would be influenced by who applied or wanted the post.

The failure to beat three of the poorest sides in this league must be down to either poor management or poor players I will let you decide on that one. Yes there are always daft results here and their but three on the trot must be down to the way the team is run.
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 12:39pm; Reply: 9
1) Difficult to answer, but looking through the applications received there must be someone who would be a risk worth taking IMO

2) You would not know how realistic it would be until it happened, ( He who dares wins )
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 12:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from 3610

Of course there's no definitive answer which is why you've asked the question. My question to you is this: How long does our custodian/major shareholder/bankroller/GYFR/Mr Fenty put up with a situation where he's seen gate receipts reduce by 10 grand (approx.) in a week?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 9, 2014, 12:57pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from arryarryarry

I really despair at posts like this. It is not up to the fans to find a replacement that would be down to the Board, and that would be influenced by who applied or wanted the post.

The failure to beat three of the poorest sides in this league must be down to either poor management or poor players I will let you decide on that one. Yes there are always daft results here and their but three on the trot must be down to the way the team is run.

Really? You despair at someone trying to think of suitable replacements?
Posted by: denni266, October 9, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 3610

Haven't logged on for ages and haven't got the time to trawl through all the well thought out posts like your one.

Thank you very much  :P
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 9, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Duh no, at the daft question to the fans as if it is our responsibility, like I said it will be up to the board and whoever applies if ever they remove Hurst.

Or is that just a bit too difficult for you to grasp?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 14

Given his track record, I despair at who is going to look at suitable replacements.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 9, 2014, 1:17pm; Reply: 15
I want Hurst out but these are questions I'm struggling to answer. I guess I only want a change of manager out of a desperation for a turn around in our fortunes.

The only names that come to my mind is Steve Burr and even that doesn't inspire me too much.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 9, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jimgtfc
I want Hurst out but these are questions I'm struggling to answer. I guess I only want a change of manager out of a desperation for a turn around in our fortunes.The only names that come to my mind is Steve Burr and even that doesn't inspire me too much.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Jim.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 9, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 17
I just can't honestly believe that hursts wages are the reported £50k a year.

If that includes bonus' fine, otherwise it's totally ridiculous

And totally surprised no one has mentioned rob jones as the next manager
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 9, 2014, 1:23pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 3610

One thing is for sure, Russell Slade won't be in the running this time around ;)

On a more serious note though, just who is out there that might fancy it? Weren't Hurst and Scott about fifth choice last time because nobody else could be enticed to come in after Woods' exit?

I think someone who's been there and done it with other similar clubs should be the priority but are there any free agents right now?

If we were to have to pay Hurst off and then on top of that pay compensation to someone else to tempt them away from their current club(s) how would that impact on the old war chest come the transfer window?

I really am at a loss to make any suggestions because we're caught between a rock and a hard place imho

Maybe someone like Barraclough who Scunny turfed out could be interested? He wasn't the world's worst when he left there - not sure how he's done in Ireland of late but think he'll have matured a bit and could be tempted?
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 9, 2014, 1:28pm; Reply: 19
Out of interest does anyone think Chris Doig could make a good manager for us? Played many games in this league so knows all the playing styles, tactics of clubs and players. He's also played a lot of games at championship level under some experienced managers. He also knows our squad inside out and may have a few different ideas.

Just a thought anyway.
Posted by: BIGChris, October 9, 2014, 1:29pm; Reply: 20
IF there is a change i would hope that the club at least ask to talk to Mills and Burr. Dont know what compensation would be required, if their clubs would let them go or if they would be interested?

Failing that ask if the FA would let Sean O'Driscoll leave his role with the Under 19's but non of these would be cheap, & they may not be interested.

I am sure the likes of Nick Barmby would apply but would they have the skills and knowledge to get us up? A rookie, a Kevin Phillips or a Paul Davis? Rather one of them than someone like Martin Foyle?

It would be a very difficult task to spot the needle in a haystack, that is why until promotion is mathematically impossible I would give PH the chance to turn it round
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I just can't honestly believe that hursts wages are the reported £50k a year.

If that includes bonus' fine, otherwise it's totally ridiculous

And totally surprised no one has mentioned rob jones as the next manager

Do you think that's too high Woz?
Posted by: Zmariner, October 9, 2014, 1:38pm; Reply: 22
No idea but as a season ticket holder I can hardly be bothered to go and I have been a staunch home game supporter for 35 years. I am bored to tears with them and as soon as the play offs are out of touch regardess of season ticket I will attend no games. We are a disgrace at home, nothing less.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 9, 2014, 1:52pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

Duh no, at the daft question to the fans as if it is our responsibility, like I said it will be up to the board and whoever applies if ever they remove Hurst.

Or is that just a bit too difficult for you to grasp?

Of course it's the board's decision but this is a forum and he asked if anyone can think of any replacements! He even opened by pointing out he wasn't arguing for Hurst to stay as he (correctly) anticipated that some people might misinterpret his question as an attack on those that want Hurst out. Perhaps you didn't grasp that on first read.

I would have begged Burr to come a year or two ago but his sides are the among the only ones we seem to be able to comfortably beat in recent months and he couldn't keep Chester out of the bottom 4 last season. He turned us down when he was flying at Kiddy but perhaps it would be a different story now he's at Chester. Who knows.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 1:55pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from BIGChris
IF there is a change i would hope that the club at least ask to talk to Mills and Burr. Dont know what compensation would be required, if their clubs would let them go or if they would be interested?

Failing that ask if the FA would let Sean O'Driscoll leave his role with the Under 19's but non of these would be cheap, & they may not be interested.

I am sure the likes of Nick Barmby would apply but would they have the skills and knowledge to get us up? A rookie, a Kevin Phillips or a Paul Davis? Rather one of them than someone like Martin Foyle?

It would be a very difficult task to spot the needle in a haystack, that is why until promotion is mathematically impossible I would give PH the chance to turn it round

I suggested John Schofield - recently sacked as assistant at Scunny.

Has a UEFA 'A' licence, knows the local scene, and got sacked at Lincoln for playing attacking football but neglecting
the defence. Maybe instead of targeting promotion per se, we should be trying to provide football that people want to watch?
We might even get the 'promotion buzz' doing that.

Tend to agree with the OP and BigChris that, in the absence of a convincing alternative, sacking PH would be pretty much a
shot in the dark. That said, I've got a season ticket now collecting dust...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 9, 2014, 2:01pm; Reply: 25
Just getting bored now and looking at managers that would be interested.....

Jim Gannon??? Doing ok at northwich vic. Lots of experience too
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 2:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 137

I suggested John Schofield - recently sacked as assistant at Scunny.

Has a UEFA 'A' licence, knows the local scene, and got sacked at Lincoln for playing attacking football but neglecting
the defence. Maybe instead of targeting promotion per se, we should be trying to provide football that people want to watch?
We might even get the 'promotion buzz' doing that.

Tend to agree with the OP and BigChris that, in the absence of a convincing alternative, sacking PH would be pretty much a
shot in the dark. That said, I've got a season ticket now collecting dust...

The only attacking football they know is hit it high and long to the giants up front, must work though I mean what have they won
Posted by: tashee69, October 9, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from jimgtfc
Out of interest does anyone think Chris Doig could make a good manager for us? Played many games in this league so knows all the playing styles, tactics of clubs and players. He's also played a lot of games at championship level under some experienced managers. He also knows our squad inside out and may have a few different ideas.

Just a thought anyway.

No, no, please no !! He may become a good manager but I don't want to see the Neil Woods and Graham Rodger type of appointment. Both of these players played at championship level and I'm not sure but GR did at premier level.
Posted by: gaz57, October 9, 2014, 2:16pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Given his track record, I despair at who is going to look at suitable replacements.

I feel the same and would like a change of management but the same people who picked the past failures will be picking the next manager. Perhaps we should start at the top and work down. I don't have any answers but just making a point and as for who will put money in to the club we couldn't have done much worse over the last decade with no money. GTFC is an addiction were I'm concerned and feel really down with the whole set up over the last 10 years. All we can do is hope but the only thing that will change anything is money. Falling gates will effect the directors pockets but unfortunately the team and club as well.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from jimgtfc

Just a thought anyway.

I think he could make a better job of it than Hurst,

In fact I think,   I could do a better job of it than Hurst,

At least I would play more than one striker at home. :)
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 2:39pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think he could make a better job of it than Hurst,

In fact I think,   I could do a better job of it than Hurst,

At least I would play more than one striker at home. :)

Particularly when the said "striker" has got 30 goals in 8 years...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from gaz57

I feel the same and would like a change of management but the same people who picked the past failures will be picking the next manager. Perhaps we should start at the top and work down. I don't have any answers but just making a point and as for who will put money in to the club we couldn't have done much worse over the last decade with no money. GTFC is an addiction were I'm concerned and feel really down with the whole set up over the last 10 years. All we can do is hope but the only thing that will change anything is money. Falling gates will effect the directors pockets but unfortunately the team and club as well.

This pretty much sums it up. No-one knows what would have happened had Mr Fenty not bailed out the tax bill and created the loan deficit which is both crippling the Statutory Accounts and potentially turning off prospective investors. As I see it, the problems are now greater.

Mr Fenty has stated on here that he will not prop up BP forever and in order to survive going forward, the club needs to re-locate to a new stadium that is more cost-effective. I get that bit, but what I struggle with is how you justify that with non-league football of the quality that we are currently witnessing. What I believe the long-suffering fans deserve is the truth. Is there a business plan for the future of the club? How dependent is the club on this stadium? How come other clubs are able to deliver such a project (Boston for example) and we aren't? Even possibly answers to other questions that are pi$$ing fans off, such as What's really going on with Nathan Arnold

A statement that says we should get behind Paul Hurst, come what may, is just really not good enough. Again, he's asking the fans to prop up a club that's delivered 10 years of decline without any real sign of the tide coming back in.
Posted by: fishkeeper, October 9, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 32
1) lee evens at last he is funnier than the comedian  hurst
2)don't honestly know
Posted by: BIGChris, October 9, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 33
19 posts in 3 years and now 70 in 3 days? ::)
Posted by: meggietown, October 9, 2014, 8:24pm; Reply: 34
Dont laugh or shoot me down but if i was fenty id get buckley in as a consultant to have a look at club from top to bottom an ask for any recommendations were we could change things from youth team set up to first team as he was the manager last time we were successful,also in appointing new manager ask him to contribute by sitting on deciding panel.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 9, 2014, 8:45pm; Reply: 35
1) Anyone of a number of non-League managers who seem to be doing better than us with a fraction of the gate.

2) Yes. I think anyone who came in wouldn't have Hurst's stubborn fixation with a non-scoring striker, would bring immediate benefits. In this situation it's got to be worth a punt.
Posted by: Tommy, October 9, 2014, 8:49pm; Reply: 36
It'd be nice if people were a bit more respectful and realistic about Hurst.

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 9, 2014, 8:54pm; Reply: 37
Good post Tommy.
Posted by: chaos33, October 9, 2014, 9:11pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Tommy

First of all, the few posts and tweets etc I see saying "intercourse off hurst" and the like are a bit personal aren't they. He's an honest guy and is working hard, doing his best.

Secondly, the posts saying "anyone/I/Ronald McDonald would do a better job" aren't very realistic are they? Hurst hasn't done an awful job and he clearly isn't an awful manager. He has limitations and shortcomings in several areas but has strengths too. There weren't too many calling him this awful manager when we were winning at Glanford Park or putting on the performance of the last 6 or 7 years against Huddersfield. He's done a decent job without doing a great job.

I've got to the point where I would like him to be replaced, but I can still respect the guy and recognise he hasn't done a terrible job.

Good post Tommy and I agree with you. It sickens me that people are being personal, dismissive, rude or abusive to Hurst. It does them and the supporters no credit.  Spitefully sneering 'bye bye Hurst', calling him a 'clown' and telling him to F*** off. Childish, pathetic and embarrassing. He's a professional, is honest and hard working and he's still our Manager. He deserves respect and support whilst he's still here.

All that is not to say that I think he should be retained any longer. There is abundant evidence of why we need change and he has had a fair long run at trying to get us promoted, but my view is that we simply must replace him with someone better asap.

I think BC, Chaingmaimariner and others have made some good points and named some viable and impressive potential candidates - realistic too (to answer the original question 2). I'm of the opinion that you have to make it available to judge calibre realistically. If we don't try, we won't find out. I'd add one or two other names to the pot as having credentials worth considering seriously: Mark Robins, Dave Penney, or how about Wilcox and Schofield now they're not wanted at Scunthorpe? Now there will be pro's and cons for all of them and I wouldn't argue, but I think they'd all be worth thinking about or approaching if the opportunity arises. That surely gives at least half a dozen or more credible potential candidates should we have a managerial vacancy.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 9, 2014, 9:30pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Tommy

I think Hurst can pick a player but his tactical nous is limited as are his motivation skills and general outward demeanor.

Having said that is it really difficult to identify good players at clubs that are clearly (allegedly) lesser than ourselves in this division (thinking Part Timers etc) who should no doubt want to come to a (once) big club???
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 9, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from tashee69

No, no, please no !! He may become a good manager but I don't want to see the Neil Woods and Graham Rodger type of appointment. Both of these players played at championship level and I'm not sure but GR did at premier level.

Fair comment and I kind of agree, just wondered what others thought.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 10:09pm; Reply: 41
My top 3 choices would be ;

1. Gary Waddock. Won the league with Aldershot without a massive budget and won promotion with Wycombe to league 1.  
2. Gary Mills- Took a team in a similar to position to us last year to reach the play-offs and almost got them promoted. Also won the 'double' with York which was a fantastic squad and won the conference north with Tamworth and has plenty of experience at this level.
3.Neil Aspin- Took a part time team to the play-offs last season is a  achievement in itself and not a lot of part time clubs can say they have done that. Took a club from the evo stik to turn them into a team challenging in at the top of the conference in 5 years shows that he is a good manager. Picked up some gems including Vardy and Gregory along the way. 61 % win ratio is pretty decent.

No thanks to a big name or someone inexperienced. I would like someone who has what it takes to get out of this league. I reckon we could tempt Waddock and Aspin but with the position Mills is sat in at the moment I cant see that happening although if he fancy's joining a bigger club with real history and a bigger fan base on equal money and an equal budget then that may change his mind, he has seen first hand what our squad can do.
Posted by: chaos33, October 9, 2014, 10:25pm; Reply: 42
Good post
Posted by: forza ivano, October 9, 2014, 10:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from 1739

1. Gary Waddock. Won the league with Aldershot without a massive budget and won promotion with Wycombe to league 1.  
2. Gary Mills- Took a team in a similar to position to us last year to reach the play-offs and almost got them promoted. Also won the 'double' with York which was a fantastic squad and won the conference north with Tamworth and has plenty of experience at this level.
3.Neil Aspin- Took a part time team to the play-offs last season is a  achievement in itself and not a lot of part time clubs can say they have done that. Took a club from the evo stik to turn them into a team challenging in at the top of the conference in 5 years shows that he is a good manager. Picked up some gems including Vardy and Gregory along the way. 61 % win ratio is pretty decent.

No thanks to a big name or someone inexperienced. I would like someone who has what it takes to get out of this league. I reckon we could tempt Waddock and Aspin but with the position Mills is sat in at the moment I cant see that happening although if he fancy's joining a bigger club with real history and a bigger fan base on equal money and an equal budget then that may change his mind, he has seen first hand what our squad can do.

Lot of logic in there.good post.
How about looking at the characteristics of the managers who got promoted out of the conference in the last 5-10 years? See if there's a common theme and then try and find someone with similar characteristics. My guess would be that they would mainly be experienced non league bosses who already have tasted a bit of success
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2014, 10:58pm; Reply: 44
I think we had the right idea last time in looking at who was consistently getting teams in the promotion/play off spots in the leagues below us but unfortunately it just hasn't worked out with Scott and Hurst.

Mansfield took a punt on Cox who was doing a good job at Eastleigh and that went well for them. Similarly Edinburgh for Newport. I'm sure there are other examples.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 10:59pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from BIGChris
19 posts in 3 years and now 70 in 3 days? ::)

What are you trying to say with that comment Chris ?
Posted by: Tom13, October 10, 2014, 12:15am; Reply: 46
One of the Flitcroft brothers at Chorley? They're doing pretty well at climbing the leagues below us, in the Conference North now I believe?
Posted by: BIGChris, October 10, 2014, 7:57am; Reply: 47
Quoted from 1739

I spoke with Gary Waddock at Aldershot a few weeks ago. He greeted me like his long lost brother! Perhaps he was making an early play for the Town job and i didnt realise ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 10, 2014, 9:20am; Reply: 48
Either that or there's something you haven't been told Chris ;)
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 10, 2014, 9:27am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Tommy

Excellently put!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 10, 2014, 9:46am; Reply: 50
If hurst was told ' keep us safe in mid table' then no, he hasn't done a bad job. But, if he was told to 'get us promotion', then he hasn't done a good job.

If in turn, you are happy with failing in the playoffs season after season, then so be it. That is your own view and expectation.

Mine are much higher
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 10, 2014, 9:56am; Reply: 51
There are obviously good managers out there, it's down to the board to go through applications and pick out the best candidate. Plenty of the best managers have come from nowhere. It's a risk you take in sacking a manager, a risk worth taking imo because I honestly cannot see Hurst taking us to the play offs. So what do you do? Wait for him to not do what you strongly suspect he won't do and sack him anyway? Or do you bite the bullet, sack him and at least try to salvage the season? With relegation not a plausible risk, it seems to me that there's very little to lose with sacking him. That's unless you believe he'll take us up I guess, which I personally never have during his whole career here.

I think the guy has been the architect of his own downfall this season so I don't have all that much sympathy. Failing to sign a striker and relentlessly sticking with LJL is one thing. But seeing your team scoring 13 goals in 2 games then needlessly changing things is absolutely unforgivable.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 10, 2014, 10:11am; Reply: 52
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If in turn, you are happy with failing in the playoffs season after season, then so be it. That is your own view and expectation.

This has been gone over so many times. Nobody is happy to fail in the playoffs and it's such a lazy thing to throw at people as if they don't want promotion as much as you. With a top 5 budget, a top 5 finish is a reasonable achievement. You can be happy with making the playoffs and then disappointed at losing them, they're not mutually exclusive. The problem at the minute is we don't look capable of finishing in the top 5.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 10, 2014, 10:16am; Reply: 53
Sorry mate, but yes, I expect us to get in the playoffs as a minimum every year. I also expect us to reach the first round if the fa cup every year.

If we haven't got a manager/squad that's good enough to do this after 2 years, something is amiss.

That is my personal minimum. Anything else is unacceptable.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 10, 2014, 10:25am; Reply: 54
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Sorry mate, but yes, I expect us to get in the playoffs as a minimum every year. I also expect us to reach the first round if the fa cup every year.

If we haven't got a manager/squad that's good enough to do this after 2 years, something is amiss.

That is my personal minimum. Anything else is unacceptable.

That's fair enough
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 10, 2014, 10:30am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Tommy

Interesting that you mention the period when we played in the cup because in many ways this to me was the start of the problems with PH's management style coming to the fore. Our performances from November through to December were on the whole very good, think it may have been the Welling game where standards dropped, but homecwins v Kiddi and boxing day win and an unfortunate loss to a great free kick against Macc led us to the great and enjoyable match v hudderscandcaway win at Cambridge.

We all thought we were on track, but Cook left out after his cup performance, failure of Jennings to repeat his performances elsewhere and the failure to strengthen our midfield led to the disappointing displays that have become the norm especially at home. The cup games, as with gateshead and alfreton fixtures have demonstrated to us fans what the team is capable of and it is the failure of PH to get this out of them on a more frequent basis which has brought on my disillusionment. Like I have said many times great coach for away fixtures but cannot deliver when onus is on us to attack and take the initiative.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 10, 2014, 10:35am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Like I have said many times great coach for away fixtures but cannot deliver when onus is on us to attack and take the initiative.

If he can do it half the time perhaps he needs a joint manager alongside him for the other half ;)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 10, 2014, 10:38am; Reply: 57

If he can do it half the time perhaps he needs a joint manager alongside him for the other half ;)

You may mock, but that is a very relevant point. And one that hasn't been mentioned
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 10, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 58
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

You may mock, but that is a very relevant point. And one that hasn't been mentioned

I mentioned on another thread at how ruthless and quick he was to sort out the defence when after Boyce left. Many people (me included) just thought stick Bignot in and we're sorted. But Hurst spotted the weakness and immediately brought Parslow and we're back to conceding very few goals again (2nd best in the division?)

So theoretically I think he would make an excellent defensive manager. Is it conceivable to bring in an attacking half in another management partnership?

Posted by: psgmariner, October 10, 2014, 11:12am; Reply: 59
Ivano. Obvious.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, October 10, 2014, 11:16am; Reply: 60
Quoted from psgmariner
Ivano. Obvious.

Perfect! But only if they live together (in front of a live studio audience) and every now and then Hurst gets furious with Ivano's latest capers and shouts "Ivaaaannnooooo!!!"
Posted by: Cott_Mike, October 10, 2014, 11:27am; Reply: 61
Someone with a personality would be a start. Someone who can motivate players.

There's one man out there and it's Gary Mills. Go get him and in my eyes we will achieve our dream.

If he declines, Aspin would be my 2nd choice
Posted by: psgmariner, October 10, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Cott_Mike
Someone with a personality would be a start. Someone who can motivate players.

There's one man out there and it's Gary Mills. Go get him and in my eyes we will achieve our dream.

If he declines, Aspin would be my 2nd choice

Both out of our league I fear. If they leave their current clubs (both above us in the table remember) it will be for league clubs.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 10, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from psgmariner

Both out of our league I fear. If they leave their current clubs (both above us in the table remember) it will be for league clubs.

According to Carl Magnay, we're the biggest club outside the league, doesn't that count?

Not having a go at him either, I tend to agree - problem being we're not the best-run club outside the league.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 10, 2014, 12:43pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from MuddyWaters

According to Carl Magnay, we're the biggest club outside the league, doesn't that count?

Not having a go at him either, I tend to agree - problem being we're not the best-run club outside the league.

If Carl Magnay played for Bristol Rovers I imagine he would say something else.

Like Toto going on about us having amazing fans when he signed. It's the usual new player rhetoric. Nothing wrong with it but you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

FGR have a bigger budget
Gateshead have a bigger stadium
Bristol Rovers have more fans

Can't see much of a case for us being "bigger" than anyone else however you quantify it. Personally I would hate us being classed as the biggest team in non league as it just highlights how crap we are with the resources we have. It is certainly nothing to boast about.

Posted by: pontoonlew, October 10, 2014, 12:59pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from psgmariner

You know you've really hit flipping rock bottom when the managers of Gateshead & Halifax are out of your league.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 10, 2014, 1:03pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from psgmariner

Can't see much of a case for us being "bigger" than anyone else however you quantify it. Personally I would hate us being classed as the biggest team in non league as it just highlights how crap we are with the resources we have. It is certainly nothing to boast about.

Exactly the point I'm making. With the possible exception of Brizzle, we are the best supported club in this poxhole league and we are in the position we're in. Debate it all you like, someone is to blame!
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:26am