Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: northbankmariner, September 26, 2014, 8:58am
I see Jolley has signed for forest green from Newport on loan. Good signing for them and surely the type of player we should have looked to have signed on loan, nothing against the Barnsley lad who scored a great goal v kiddy, but he is no where near match fit and unproven, whereas Jolley would have been a great asset to town. Will be happy if he scores against Barnet  tommorrow though.
Posted by: Alfie, September 26, 2014, 9:01am; Reply: 1
Whisper it quietly but wouldn't it be nice to have a manager who shows a bit of intent and ambition when it comes to doing business in the transfer market...?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 26, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 2
Quoted from northbankmariner
I see Jolley has signed for forest green from Newport on loan. Good signing for them and surely the type of player we should have looked to have signed on loan, nothing against the Barnsley lad who scored a great goal v kiddy, but he is no where near match fit and unproven, whereas Jolley would have been a great asset to town. Will be happy if he scores against barbet tommorrow though.

pace and can score goals would have been perfect, it really pisses me off when players who are proven in this league and can do what we have been crying out for just seem to always pass us by.
Posted by: cleethorpes_mariner, September 26, 2014, 9:14am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Alfie
Whisper it quietly but wouldn't it be nice to have a manager who shows a bit of intent and ambition when it comes to doing business in the transfer market...?

Maybe our club tried to sign him but he decided that as Forest Green was only a few miles from Newport he would not need to up sticks and move half way across the country.
Posted by: chaos33, September 26, 2014, 9:15am; Reply: 4
Share this frustration.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 26, 2014, 9:16am; Reply: 5
I imagine the location and the fact that they've got megabucks played a part. Newport to forest green is not that far, Newport to Blundell park is flipping miles especially if you've a family.
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 9:37am; Reply: 6
Newport to Nailsea is a short 30 mile commute. Only a little bit further than Scunny for us and not as far as Lincoln. Pretty obvious why it was easy for FGR to sign Jolley on loan and an indication as to why loan signings have often passed between ourselves and Scunny.

I suppose that other nearby-ish League clubs from who we might expect to be able to sign loanees are probably Hull, Donny, Rotherham and the Sheffield clubs. Barnsley too, of course.

A pity in a way that Hull are now in the Premiershite. If they were a division or two lower, they might not worry too much about sending younger players here to get some game time. The fact that the Allams own North Ferriby United is probably of relevance as well.
Posted by: Garth, September 26, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33
Share this frustration.

Agreed, seems like we are deaf regarding what is happening in our circle of transfer /loan activity, not blaming Hurst so much  as he has only one pair of ears,(last time I looked)  how about Doig and Moore listening out for him now and again
Posted by: Garth, September 26, 2014, 9:42am; Reply: 8

Maybe our club tried to sign him but he decided that as Forest Green was only a few miles from Newport he would not need to up sticks and move half way across the country.

More like maybe they don`t keep their ear to the ground
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 26, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Alfie

Or has a better budget with which to attract players?
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 10:04am; Reply: 10
Grimsby to Newport: 250 miles
Newport to Nailsea: 30 miles

I simply can't imagine why Jolley might want to take a short journey to Newport (on similar or more likely higher wages) when he could come here instead, a mere 4 and half hours away by car.  ::)
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, September 26, 2014, 11:03am; Reply: 11
This thread....
Posted by: mike502, September 26, 2014, 11:48am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Maringer
Grimsby to Newport: 250 miles
Newport to Nailsea: 30 miles

I simply can't imagine why Jolley might want to take a short journey to Newport (on similar or more likely higher wages) when he could come here instead, a mere 4 and half hours away by car.  ::)

Although if he goes to Nailsea rather than Nailsworth he might struggle to find FGR... ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, September 26, 2014, 12:23pm; Reply: 13
whatever the reasons behind these moves it does seem that our opponents are becoming top heavy with strikers while our 'compact' range of resident strikers was disabled in one fell swoop and we're still short up top.
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 1:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mike502

Although if he goes to Nailsea rather than Nailsworth he might struggle to find FGR... ;)

Meh - I knew it was Nails-something and at least I got the correct quadrant of the country!  >:(

I actually thought that FGR was a bit nearer to Bristol (and Newport) than that. Google reckons 50 miles from Newport, so just a fifth of the distance from BP.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 26, 2014, 1:47pm; Reply: 15
According to the Telewag Hurst is looking for a big target man,

Jolley and Holman do not fit the bill,

So who does, anybody know ?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 26, 2014, 1:54pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
According to the Telewag Hurst is looking for a big target man,

Jolley and Holman do not fit the bill,

So who does, anybody know ?

Hurst and big target man, nah don't believe it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 26, 2014, 2:08pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Hurst and big target man, nah don't believe it.

Hurst also said, Holman was never on my radar, I am not saying he is not a good player ( 24 goals for Braintree ) but he is not the type of playing I am looking for,

He also said he has watched a lot of games this last week or so but has not found the man he is looking for,

So if anybody sees a 6ft 5in strong , fit bloke who can score 20+ goals a season for us,

Please contact Mr P Hurst ,  urgent.
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 2:22pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from grimsby pete

So if anybody sees a 6ft 5in strong , fit bloke who can score 20+ goals a season for us,

Please contact Mr P Hurst ,  urgent.

Is Ibrahimovic looking for a new challenge yet?
Posted by: Quagmire, September 26, 2014, 2:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

Hurst also said, Holman was never on my radar, I am not saying he is not a good player ( 24 goals for Braintree ) but he is not the type of playing I am looking for,

Doesn't want to bring a goal scorer in, wants to sign a big 'target man' - another LJL.

And people wonder why a large number of supporters have little confidence in PH
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2014, 3:03pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Maringer

Is Ibrahimovic looking for a new challenge yet?

He isnt black... :P
Posted by: Tommy, September 26, 2014, 3:07pm; Reply: 21
A little disappointed in Hurst's comments in the paper if I'm honest.

A target man doesn't have to be someone massive who's good in the air. It can just be someone who has half decent body strength who can receive the ball with his back to goal, hold it up and play it to a team-mate.

Hurst seems to describe Oates as someone who can do the latter but says he needs someone who can challenge for the high balls in the air. I have to question the specific need for someone who's big and can challenge in the air. We don't have to play the ball in the air.

I'm not concerned one bit about whether we were interested in Jolley or not, with FGR being closer it's an obvious choice/move for him.
Posted by: Garth, September 26, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 22
Tony Reece (sp) was a good target man for Town and he was quite small
Posted by: ackomariner, September 26, 2014, 4:34pm; Reply: 23
All ph sees in a striker is a battering ram with no football brain.

We'll go far with him in charge
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 26, 2014, 4:38pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ackomariner

We'll go far with him in charge

[img]https://www.thehorseshoof.com/pix/G_Healthy3A.jpg[/img]
Posted by: ackomariner, September 26, 2014, 4:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jonnyboy82

hoof.

Yup
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 4:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ackomariner

Perfect description of Hearn and Hannah there.
Posted by: ackomariner, September 26, 2014, 4:45pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer

💩
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 26, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 28
It is not all about geography.  Wrexham have signed striker Dan Holman on loan from Colchester.  Wrexham is about as far away from Colchester as you can get in England.

Hurst said in the Telegraph today that Holman was not on his radar.  Well maybe he should have been.  It does not mean that we should have signed him of course.

Hurst also said in the Telegraph:
"The issue Dan Holman has in going to Wrexham is how much he will play. Connor Jennings and Louis Moult, they've got two lads that are seen as virtually being nailed on to be in the team, so it will be interesting to see how that one pans out for him".

Having 3 good strikers is a nice problem to have.  Allows for cover for injuries, illness, suspensions, loss of form or just rotating strikers etc.  I wish that we had 3 good (fit) strikers at our disposal.

Hurst also said that Holman has a track-record of scoring goals but that he does not meet our needs.  Goals are still goals and beggars cannot be choosers.  

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 26, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Maringer

If Hannah is so brainy, why does he spend so much time offside?
Posted by: northbankmariner, September 26, 2014, 5:24pm; Reply: 30
Just seen dj Campbell has signed for Maidenhead, Crikey he was playing in the championship last year, still only 32 and was reasonably pacey. I know he doesn't fit hursty's big target man mould but Crikey good strikers capable of scoring goals ARE out there. He needs to re think his strategy if you ask me. We have a good hold up man in LJL we don't need another we need finishers to put the ball in the net. Another striker who would have been an amazing signing for town who was just looking for a club to snap him up. I am patient but even I am getting fed up reading about the likes of Jolley and dj Campbell going to other non league clubs
Posted by: northbankmariner, September 26, 2014, 5:26pm; Reply: 31
Just seen dj Campbell has signed for Maidenhead, Crikey he was playing in the championship last year, still only 32 and was reasonably pacey. I know he doesn't fit hursty's big target man mould but Crikey good strikers capable of scoring goals ARE out there. He needs to re think his strategy if you ask me. We have a good hold up man in LJL we don't need another we need finishers to put the ball in the net. Another striker who would have been an amazing signing for town who was just looking for a club to snap him up. I am patient but even I am getting fed up reading about the likes of Jolley and dj Campbell going to other non league clubs
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 26, 2014, 5:30pm; Reply: 32
Another thread which has been turned into a dig at hurst!
Posted by: Maringer, September 26, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

If Hannah is so brainy, why does he spend so much time offside?

I was thinking more about the 'battering ram' part!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 26, 2014, 6:02pm; Reply: 34
Hope they mess the paperwork up and get another 3pts deducted...
Posted by: Garth, September 26, 2014, 6:06pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

In the ribs I hope, next time a decent striker becomes available
Posted by: Abdul19, September 26, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 36
The DJ Campbell example is pointless.

"The move came about due to the close relationship Campbell has with Maidenhead manager Johnson Hippolyte. Although he began his career in the Aston Villa youth team, Campbell dropped out of football, only for Hippolyte to spot him opposite his home playing with friends in Hammersmith Park."
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 26, 2014, 6:53pm; Reply: 37
We need to accept that the further down the football pyramid we fall the bigger a problem our location is. Why would you want to live in digs all week when you could live at home for not much less money? Blame Hurst though for this though, he should have invented a teleporter by now
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 26, 2014, 6:54pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It is not all about geography.  Wrexham have signed striker Dan Holman on loan from Colchester.  Wrexham is about as far away from Colchester as you can get in England.

However...... If they were the only club interested then holman didn't really have a choice to make. If Barnet came in then it may have been a different club he signed for

Holmes the Colchester manager also has history with Wrexham. It's who you know in this game.

In terms of Holman. I guess hurst sees him as a similar player to Hannah. Hannah doesn't fit into our system at the moment. All he probably wants to do is sign a forward that fits into our system.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 26, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from 3610

However...... If they were the only club interested then holman didn't really have a choice to make. If Barnet came in then it may have been a different club he signed for

Holmes the Colchester manager also has history with Wrexham. It's who you know in this game.

In terms of Holman. I guess hurst sees him as a similar player to Hannah. Hannah doesn't fit into our system at the moment. All he probably wants to do is sign a forward that fits into our system.

He'll need a different striker every game then  ;)
Posted by: mariner4life, September 26, 2014, 8:48pm; Reply: 40
One thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is could we afford a D.J Campbell or a Holman? Even on loan?
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 26, 2014, 10:47pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He'll need a different striker every game then  ;)

Would you agree it is beneficial for a team to have a plan B?

Would you agree it is beneficial for a club to build a system of play and then recruit players that fit this system? Like what mourinho has done at Chelsea. Mata... Player of the year sold
As he doesn't fit
The system.

Holman may not fit the system. And if we wanna play a plan B we already have Hannah capable of that job. Money best spent elsewhere?
Posted by: RichMariner, September 27, 2014, 12:08am; Reply: 42
We have very little choice other than to trust the manager on things like this.

What I will say is that, while having three good strikers is a nice problem to have, Hurst hasn't shown he can effectively manage this situation. Last season especially his rotation policy didn't get the best out of Jennings, Cook went flat, Hannah lost confidence and John-Lewis - the least prolific - was the only one who was given starts consistently. I almost forgot about Tounkara too.

I've always said I'm a supporter of Hurst and I really hope he takes us up, but it seems he could have the best quality strikers in this division and still not know how to get the best from them.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 27, 2014, 12:23am; Reply: 43
[quote=992]One thing that hasnt been mentioned in this thread is could we afford a D.J Campbell or a Holman? Even on loan? [/qA

According to John money isn't an issue

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 27, 2014, 1:21am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Tommy
A little disappointed in Hurst's comments in the paper if I'm honest.

A target man doesn't have to be someone massive who's good in the air. It can just be someone who has half decent body strength who can receive the ball with his back to goal, hold it up and play it to a team-mate.

Hurst seems to describe Oates as someone who can do the latter but says he needs someone who can challenge for the high balls in the air. I have to question the specific need for someone who's big and can challenge in the air. We don't have to play the ball in the air.

Tend to agree but equally, I'm not reading too much into it yet (see point 3 below)

What mainly disappoints me is the interview.

Hurst says "that would be the ideal type of player for us." but why ?
Now maybe he's right, I just want to know the reasons and thinking.
No follow up question.  :-/

Can anyone hazard a guess what the thinking is ?

My theories are...

1) He wants another target man as backup because he doubts LJL can play every game this season.
2) He wants another target man that can score a lot MORE goals than LJL.
3) Maybe it's all a bit of a red herring since Hurst says "They don't have to be in that mould" but he'd like a backup target man in case LJL gets injured
OR it's about "Even if they don't particularly play a certain way, it's easy to put a bigger man on as a 'Plan B' when they're in need of a goal."
Posted by: aldi_01, September 27, 2014, 7:09am; Reply: 45
So this has turned in to a thread in which people can have a dig at PH.

The Jolly to FGR is a no brainer, near his base, no doubt financially a safer bet. Same with DJ Campbell. Fact is, had Hurst brought in someone like Campbell people wouldvd moaned anyway and said he's too old, having one last payday and probably won't be interested in us or even bothered about doing well.

And if people actually believe honest John when he says money is no object then I siggest some open their eyes. Yes it's an indication that the club are prepared to invest etc but how much is still limited, not to mention that we all know fenty likes to put out silly statements from time to time...
Posted by: Mariner21, September 27, 2014, 7:35am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Well what do you expec??? He's an idiot! Why say that about Holman? Why not sign jolley? Arguably the best player this league has seen since vardy!!!! Ffs   either take the risk and spent that little bit extra or do one, we need a manager who's willing to do that. yet he wants a big fat flipping lump so we can hoof it up all game because he can't coach our squad properly. I'm sorry but it's really drunk me off.

Holman not on his radar lol is he flipping real.
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 27, 2014, 10:05am; Reply: 47
This anti Hurst stuff is getting ridiculous now. Over the last few weeks he's been slagged off for signing players on loan and now he's getting the blame for another club at the other side of the country signing someone. It's not like he's signed for Lincoln FFS. I'm neither pro Hurst or anti him but IMO this negativity around the club is a far bigger risk to our season than he is.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 27, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 48
Just wait til the moment on the match thread when Jolley scores for FGR whilst we're still 0-0 at 3:10 this afternoon.
Posted by: mariner91, September 27, 2014, 10:14am; Reply: 49
Completely agree with the post above. It seems like some people are waiting/hoping for him to fail. We've just had two good away results, one of which came after a great performance against a team who had a 100% home record and people seemed disappointed and still slagged him off. After beating Kiddie I saw somebody moaning saying "he needs to start sending out a team to win" or words to that effect. After he'd just won a difficult away game! You couldn't make it up. Added to that is this trend of picking apart every meaningless interview he does. If he came out saying "we'll smash Chester cause we're such a huge club and I won't be at all bothered about their strengths" like some of you seem to want, and we lose, he'll get slaughtered for geeing the opposition up. The man can't win.

I am neither pro or anti Hurst. I realise that he tinkers too much, we still don't seem to have a specific style of play and the striker situation is a huge balls up that could have been easily avoided. But he's a relatively young manager and he's still learning. I'm not sure he can lead us to promotion but I am confident he can get us to the play offs at least. And there have been enough signs to suggest we're better than last season, continued improvement is the main aim for a manager in my eyes. We've got an important 4 games coming up, win them all or at least 3 and we'll be in a much better position. Whatever your take on Hurst, let's have some positivity at BP today for the 90 minutes that the players are out there. UTM
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 27, 2014, 10:21am; Reply: 50
Personally I can't believe hurst and fenty didn't go down to newports training ground , whack jolley over the head with a 30lb cod, chuck him in the boot of their car and bring him back to BP on loan .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 27, 2014, 10:39am; Reply: 51
Quoted from 3610

Holman may not fit the system. And if we wanna play a plan B we already have Hannah capable of that job. Money best spent elsewhere?

Hannah capable? Now that is something that's open to debate!
Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 27, 2014, 10:47am; Reply: 52
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Hannah capable? Now that is something that's open to debate!

Is this the birth of a new scapegoat?

Playing up top on his own he is not capable.

Playing as part of a 2 up top he is certainly capable.

it's a surprise we have any points at all this season the way you describe the manager and players.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 27, 2014, 10:55am; Reply: 53
Quoted from 3610

it's a surprise we have any points at all this season the way you describe the manager and players.

What we need is a couple of 6-0 wins to put everybody in a positive mood again,

Posted by: 3610 (Guest), September 27, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 54
Quoted from grimsby pete

What we need is a couple of 6-0 wins to put everybody in a positive mood again,

Think you are right. I thought 4 points from 2 difficult away games was not a bad return..... Maybe we have to win 6-0 till the end of the season.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 27, 2014, 11:47am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Mariner21

Well what do you expec??? He's an idiot! Why say that about Holman? Why not sign jolley? Arguably the best player this league has seen since vardy!!!! Ffs   either take the risk and spent that little bit extra or do one, we need a manager who's willing to do that. yet he wants a big fat flipping lump so we can hoof it up all game because he can't coach our squad properly. I'm sorry but it's really drunk me off.

i expected a typoical response like this from you or johnnyboy, take a chill pill and get behind your team. jolley was never gonna come here, you turning every thread into a hurst bashing is just boring and not doing any favours for anyone!
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 27, 2014, 5:27pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Mariner21

i bet you'll be quiet tonight!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 27, 2014, 7:48pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from mariner91
I realise that he tinkers too much, we still don't seem to have a specific style of play and the striker situation is a huge balls up that could have been easily avoided.

Gave you +1 for your post and for me you're one of the best posters on here, but don't agree with this bit.

Won't go into "tinkering" but why is the striker situation a huge balls up ?
Maybe I'm missing something but please point to the games where it's cost us ?...

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 27, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 120797

Gave you +1 for your post and for me you're one of the best posters on here, but don't agree with this bit.

Maybe I'm missing something but please point to the games where it's cost us ?...

Chances missed in first two games and a sending off at Aldershot ring any bells?
Posted by: mariner91, September 27, 2014, 7:58pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from 120797

Halifax for starters. Should never have started the season with just 3 strikers when one of them is known to be injury prone.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 27, 2014, 8:01pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from mariner91
Halifax for starters. Should never have started the season with just 3 strikers when one of them is known to be injury prone.

Thought you might say that yet it was 1-1 and seem to remember Hannah had one flashing just past the post.
Seems a bit harsh when you consider LJL and Pittman both got crocked at the time.
Anyway point taken, just think it's a little harsh.
Posted by: OneLove, September 28, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 61
oates will come good once match fit, trust me! we should get him on an extended loan get his fitness up and watch him bang the goals home.
Posted by: barralad, September 28, 2014, 10:00am; Reply: 62
Quoted from 3610

Very wise words. He certainly looked "capable" yesterday. Admittedly did one or two daft things but a real candidate for MOM. If his penalty had gone in I reckon that would have swayed it for him....

Posted by: 120797 (Guest), September 28, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Chances missed in first two games and a sending off at Aldershot ring any bells?

Only just seen this...
Well fair enough, point taken.
Whether it could have easily been avoided (whether more strikers or missed chances) is another matter though.
Whichever strikers are on the pitch, they can sometimes miss chances.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:00am