Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, September 20, 2014, 11:02pm
10:30 p.m. and no "Just Back" thread??

For the record:-IMO  Not as good a game as Tuesday but I would venture a much, much better result. Having read some comments about Town hoofing the ball up to poor Ross Hannah I can only wonder what game was being watched. I thought Town played some decent approach football only to be let down by some very poor final balls-with Magnay being the worst culprit having got himself and Town into some great positions with positive runs down the left in the second half. MacReth was nowhere near as dangerous as he looked last time out. Hannah ran his socks off-again but he simply hasn't got the upper body strength to hold the ball up as a lone striker. Like others I was very surprised that Oates didn't start but judging by his inability to run AT ALL in the last five minutes it seemed to be a very shrewd move by Hurst. It was a brilliant finish for the goal.
Defensively the outfield four played very well including the new lad who to be honest didn't look as though he hadn't played competitively for so long. My real worry defensively is dare I say it-McKeown who has looked increasingly vulnerable to the high ball. There were also several moments of indecision particularly in the first half which could have cost us. He remains a superb shot stopper but appears to be in need of some coaching on dealing with crosses and commanding his area....
I feel a bit for Paddy but think that today Hurst was right to use Disley for the better defensive qualities he has. This was underlined when Paddy gave away a free kick in a dangerous position by dabbing a foot in with all the conviction of Danny La Rue on tranquilisers when he finally came on.
Neilson was frustrating to say the least. Saw a lot of the ball for much of the game but too often ran down blind alleys. Kiddy had done their homework though as for much of the game he had two on him.
Our dead ball delivery is becoming the world's unfunniest joke. I lost count of the free kicks and corners that didn't beat the first man. From the first corner we actually put into the danger area Toto hit the top of the bar. It is such a waste....
MOM-anyone from the back four plus Clay (who didn't put a foot wrong).
Posted by: Perkins, September 20, 2014, 11:43pm; Reply: 1
Spot on review from Barralad. TBH it looked as if one goal from either side was always going to win the game. I am beginning to wonder if  too many posters on here base their thoughts on the game from the commentary on RH which is often not an accurate reflection of what is going on on the pitch. I thought Parslow was very good at RB considering he has only been with us a couple of days, a vast improvement on Bignots recent displays, and Oates looked lively and got into some good positions, looked confident and scored the winner with a cracking shot. I've seem better displays but also a lot worse and couldn't fault anyone for their effort and a good three away points.
Posted by: chicaneuk, September 21, 2014, 12:24am; Reply: 2
A fair synopsis of the game I feel. I felt both our new signings acquitted themselves today as well. Oates of course got the goal, but he looked strong and determined and at one point took on three Kidderminster defenders and even after getting bought down fought extremely hard to get back up and keep the ball.

Parslow meantime looked extremely solid at the back, making a high number of confident strong tackles and clearances, etc, and always being there when needed.

It certainly wasn't one for the record books by any stretch of the imagination but they got the job done. Felt the game could have gone either way but we did definitely look the stronger team for the majority of the second half - just our usual problem of dancing around the box, and seemingly not able to get it in there, or to actually dare take any shots. Instead we just pass it around until someone, inevitably, gives it away!
Posted by: forza ivano, September 21, 2014, 1:21am; Reply: 3
Fair assessment by barra.be interested to see the goal again.did Oates drop his shoulder and 'do' gowling ? Coz certainly gowling for the first time in the match was left floundering and it was a very very good turn n finish. The difference between the teams? We scored from our one moment of quality whilst gash missed john lewis style after their moment of brilliance from the impressive thompson
Posted by: DocTower, September 21, 2014, 7:20am; Reply: 4
Good read from those who went , just wonder how it would read if we hasn't got the three points . Barralad highlighted my comments  earlier regarding Macca . He never has commanded his area but recently his positioning and catching have become increasingly dodgy .

I had to listen on the radio so had to rely on JT and ex player  , they couldn't work out the system we had adopted until Oats came on . Were they the biggest side we have ever played against ?  Just proves size doesn't matter sometimes .
Posted by: aldi_01, September 21, 2014, 8:11am; Reply: 5
Fair reflection. It wasn't thrvgreaest game from two of the leagues better sides but it was nice to see us capitalise on the one piece of brilliance. Kiddy weren't overly impressive and I was surprised to see them resort to a very direct, long ball style towards the end. They did miss some chances and they did try and blame the ref although the fouls by their striker were blatant fouls.

Sadly there seems to be an ever growing amount of balderdash being soured by some fans who simply don't want hurst. Yes, we all know that sometimes he makes a mistake but in recent weeks the players have to take some responsibility too. Lots of people take their opinion from the sometimes non discript commentary or from the odd comment without actually seeing the game. I read yesterday that hurst doesn't have a 'plan B'...a flawed comment given that that was exactly what he has yesterday.

If we were a prima donna team our pragmatic foreign manager would say that we got what went for yesterday and that good sides will find the result with the odd flash of class.

It's nice to play well and win but I, along with everyone else is bored of this horrible league so if we play excrement all year and grind out results that'll do for me...this week could have been disastrous but it turned out very good. Not many sides would've taken 4 points from Halifax and kiddy away in consecutive games.
Posted by: wigworld, September 21, 2014, 8:27am; Reply: 6
Quoted from DocTower

I had to listen on the radio so had to rely on JT and ex player  

Nigel Lowther's not an ex-player. Editor of Cleethorpes chronicle, I think.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=253

Posted by: PB, September 21, 2014, 8:31am; Reply: 7
Accurate summary from Barralad. I like going to Kidderminster. I can see steam trains, enjoy a quality beer, good food and get a result!
The two new boys look to be real assets, but Oates is far from match fit (he was puffing more than me after running for the bus!)
Dead ball kicks are now so bad it is embarrassing. I don't see why we cannot sort them. Kiddy on the other hand looked dangerous with nearly every corner. This also shows Macca's current wobbles when under pressure.
Anyway, three well won points, an obvious good team spirit, a clean sheet, and a good day out
MOM - Clay
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2014, 9:01am; Reply: 8
One shot on target, one goal. I think luck was on our side today. We have to get better sooner rather than later.
Posted by: chicaneuk, September 21, 2014, 9:10am; Reply: 9
Also think Sean Pearson was lucky early in the game when he bought down Styche with a clumsy and deliberate foul when Styche was making a run on goal. I think some referees might have red carded that, but as this ref was so utterly useless (and for once, to our benefit) he completely missed it. Did rather sour the mood after as Styche then nearly got into a punch up with Macca (they were both face to face in the goal mouth at one point, and had each other by the throats) and various other incidents before being loudly booed off by us when he was subbed towards the end of the second half :)
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 21, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 10
Quoted from chicaneuk
Also think Sean Pearson was lucky early in the game when he bought down Styche with a clumsy and deliberate foul when Styche was making a run on goal. I think some referees might have red carded that, but as this ref was so utterly useless (and for once, to our benefit) he completely missed it. Did rather sour the mood after as Styche then nearly got into a punch up with Macca (they were both face to face in the goal mouth at one point, and had each other by the throats) and various other incidents before being loudly booed off by us when he was subbed towards the end of the second half :)

It was a tactic to unsettle the town players, bit like Brodie and what he'll do when he comes.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 21, 2014, 9:47am; Reply: 11
Grimsby were a very decent side, they controlled the game for long periods and in their number 22 - they had the best player on the park.      Comment from kiddys forum
Posted by: Maringer, September 21, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 12
A decent performance at the back from Toto, then? That's good to hear after his recent dodginess in defence!
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 21, 2014, 10:10am; Reply: 13
Quoted from aldi_01

Sadly there seems to be an ever growing amount of balderdash being soured by some fans who simply don't want hurst.

This has reached new levels this week. Some posters even said they would rather have lost, or at least had mixed feelings about the win, because it means Hurst won't get sacked! Simply staggering. Particularly when you consider that there has been no indication that the board are even close to pulling the trigger. We have clearly dropped more points than we would have wished but we're by no means out of the promotion shake up and given Hurst's superb track record over several years (at several clubs) of getting his teams in to the top 5 I wouldn't back against him doing it again.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), September 21, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 14
Toto now on 4 yellows. If he gets another one before Christmas then he will get a 1 match ban.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 21, 2014, 10:34am; Reply: 15
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

This has reached new levels this week. Some posters even said they would rather have lost, or at least had mixed feelings about the win, because it means Hurst won't get sacked! Simply staggering. Particularly when you consider that there has been no indication that the board are even close to pulling the trigger. We have clearly dropped more points than we would have wished but we're by no means out of the promotion shake up and given Hurst's superb track record over several years (at several clubs) of getting his teams in to the top 5 I wouldn't back against him doing it again.

He's only ever managed solo at Grimsby Town and we are the only club he's managed solo or otherwise at this level. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to prove me wrong but I simply don't believe he has the nous or the charisma (to attract a decent striker) to get us out this league.

More than that, I am extremely concerned about how long GTFC remains financially sustainable (at Blundell Park) as long as we stay in the Conference.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, September 21, 2014, 10:36am; Reply: 16
Toto is on 5 yellows, so a ban is imminent
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 21, 2014, 10:40am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
One shot on target, one goal. I think luck was on our side today. We have to get better sooner rather than later.

Some may feel ,and i am one , that we have been  unlucky in lots of ways ,including the injuries, this season . I  could  not  get there ,or near a commentary yesterday , but when tondour interrupted the mudrats commentary  , as i headed homewards on the M62 to tell us Town was one up , i punched the air. Now if we rode our luck a little i dont know .Three points at Kidddy will do for me
I thought myself that the time for PH to go (if we was to get another in)  was after the playoffs , After the excrement hes had off some of us so far this season i'm starting to warm to him.
UTM
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 21, 2014, 10:41am; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He's only ever managed solo at Grimsby Town and we are the only club he's managed solo or otherwise at this level. Don't get me wrong, I'd love him to prove me wrong but I simply don't believe he has the nous or the charisma (to attract a decent striker) to get us out this league.

More than that, I am extremely concerned about how long GTFC remains financially sustainable (at Blundell Park) as long as we stay in the Conference.

I've no problem with people having doubts about him, it's the people willing him to fail that annoy me.
Posted by: GyMariner, September 21, 2014, 10:43am; Reply: 19
When do the MP highlights go up
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2014, 10:52am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Toto is on 5 yellows, so a ban is imminent

No he is not on 5, just 4.

Posted by: mariner91, September 21, 2014, 10:54am; Reply: 21
4 bookings already seems excessive even for a centre back.
Posted by: Richard Cranium, September 21, 2014, 11:01am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Hagrid
Grimsby were a very decent side, they controlled the game for long periods and in their number 22 - they had the best player on the park.      Comment from kiddys forum
I agree with the comment. Toto was our best player and Gowling for them

Posted by: Maringer, September 21, 2014, 11:04am; Reply: 23
Hmmm. Soccerbase seems to think that Toto has received 5 bookings already, but Hurst indicated it was just 4 in his post-match interview yesterday. Wonder who is correct?

Looking through the listings on Soccerbase, 4 of the bookings listed there were actually received when he was playing out of position at full-back so that is not necessarily an indication that he will be penalised as often when playing in his proper position of centre-half. Especially as his booking yesterday was apparently incorrect (according to Hurst)!
Posted by: DocTower, September 21, 2014, 11:07am; Reply: 24
Quoted from mariner91

He needs a calm experienced mature player with him to bring the best ouf of him , eg Futcher and Lever ,  Pond and Pearson  Boyce  and Pearson . Not saying that Pearson is bad and the pairing is wrong , however Pearson needs to watch what he does in and around the box .
Posted by: brad_gtfc, September 21, 2014, 11:30am; Reply: 25
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not aiming this at you personally.
But I always see people saying he's being here for 3/4 years and not done anything, but in reality, he's only being here on his own for a year or so, and he got us to the play off Semi-Final, this is why he deserves more of a chance. People suggesting he needs to go are out of their minds.
Fantastic result yesterday to get the win with a little bit of quality from a new signing.
Roll on next week, lets get some positive atmosphere around the place again.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 21, 2014, 11:45am; Reply: 26
Quoted from GyMariner
When do the MP highlights go up

Normally the day after the game.

UTM
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 21, 2014, 11:56am; Reply: 27

No he is not on 5, just 4.

He is on five, he got yellows against-
Gateshead, Alfreton, Aldershot, Halifax and Kiddy.

UTM
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 21, 2014, 11:56am; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad
10:30 p.m. and no "Just Back" thread??

For the record:-IMO  Not as good a game as Tuesday but I would venture a much, much better result. Having read some comments about Town hoofing the ball up to poor Ross Hannah I can only wonder what game was being watched. I thought Town played some decent approach football only to be let down by some very poor final balls-with Magnay being the worst culprit having got himself and Town into some great positions with positive runs down the left in the second half. MacReth was nowhere near as dangerous as he looked last time out. Hannah ran his socks off-again but he simply hasn't got the upper body strength to hold the ball up as a lone striker. Like others I was very surprised that Oates didn't start but judging by his inability to run AT ALL in the last five minutes it seemed to be a very shrewd move by Hurst. It was a brilliant finish for the goal.
Defensively the outfield four played very well including the new lad who to be honest didn't look as though he hadn't played competitively for so long. My real worry defensively is dare I say it-McKeown who has looked increasingly vulnerable to the high ball. There were also several moments of indecision particularly in the first half which could have cost us. He remains a superb shot stopper but appears to be in need of some coaching on dealing with crosses and commanding his area....
I feel a bit for Paddy but think that today Hurst was right to use Disley for the better defensive qualities he has. This was underlined when Paddy gave away a free kick in a dangerous position by dabbing a foot in with all the conviction of Danny La Rue on tranquilisers when he finally came on.
Neilson was frustrating to say the least. Saw a lot of the ball for much of the game but too often ran down blind alleys. Kiddy had done their homework though as for much of the game he had two on him.
Our dead ball delivery is becoming the world's unfunniest joke. I lost count of the free kicks and corners that didn't beat the first man. From the first corner we actually put into the danger area Toto hit the top of the bar. It is such a waste....
MOM-anyone from the back four plus Clay (who didn't put a foot wrong).

This is why I don't like people slating Hurst and the players by listening to the radio !

Good review and delighted for Clay ! What a gem Hurst has got there !! Proved with this signing why he is a good YOUNG manager
Posted by: TAGG, September 21, 2014, 12:14pm; Reply: 29

Can't read all posts but only seen one wanting Town to lose.
You may be happy with a top 5 finish but I and a lot of others aren't. We need a Manager in who looks to win the league outright not like Husts who is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs and thinks that success.
Posted by: denni266, September 21, 2014, 12:21pm; Reply: 30
Same here. Wanting town to loose is wrong,, i dont like Hurst , he will not get us out of this league, and will also be an also ran. we need someone to get us out this league, and he is not the man to do this
Posted by: MyDogsThoughts, September 21, 2014, 12:32pm; Reply: 31
My first game of the season yesterday: thought we tried to play football and on the ground, looking good until we got towards their penalty area where we seemed to over elaborate or make to wrong pass. We went a little more direct when young Oates came on and Kidderminster were not ready for that, or expecting it. Kidder played high balls all game and gave us an aerial bombardment at times with some very tall guys all over the pitch. Good result with some fine defending and a well taken goal by the keen, awkward and strong Oates. Midfield ran their socks off and we controlled the game for long periods, an all round good performance. Obviously my first look at quite a few players and unfair of me to pick up anyone from just one game or part of one, none of them looked poor though: first home game next Saturday for me, looking forward to it.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, September 21, 2014, 12:44pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from TAGG

You may be happy with a top 5 finish but I and a lot of others aren't. We need a Manager in who looks to win the league outright not like Husts who is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs and thinks that success.

Sick of this nonsense. Hurst is trying to win the league and I would fuccking love us to win the league. I have the club badge tattooed on my arm and crave league football just as much as anyone else. But it is wilful ignorance to not recognise that there are at least 5 other sides competing for top spot, several of which have bigger budgets than us and have more advantageous geographical locations. We should absolutely be challenging with them for promotion. But on what basis do you demand that we win it and consider anything else failure? Budget? Attendances? Bristol Rovers kick our bottom on both counts. Don't try to paint me as someone who cares less or doesn't mind if we lose in the playoffs. I am as passionate as any other Town fan but I will not apologise for the fact that I am capable of taking in to account more factors than just how much I hate being out of the league. UTFM
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 21, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from mariner91

Depends how many tackles you make Matt, that's a normal amount of bookings for a Pointon CB.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 21, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 34

I believe one person said they would have preferred a loss. Personally I am delighted we got 3 points but that does not stop me from believing PH is not the great manager some people think. He has had one season with a very decent budget so a play off place was the least that he should have achieved but the side never was strong enough or well organised enough to go further.

To his credit Hurst re-jigged the squad this season and has signed some reasonable players. Once again he has had a pretty good budget to work with. He has had bad luck with injuries but nevertheless we are a mid-table side that has just fluked a game we could just as easily have lost over another mid-table side with a much smaller budget. Those are the relevant facts.

To go on from this win to say Hurst is the THE man to take us forward is a foolish step in my view because he is responsible for the play and the players that have put us where we are. Nobody else did. Nobody else failed to finish off the squad with a proper striker. Nobody else plays around with team selection but waits forever to change tactics during a game. If we go up I will be over the proverbial and more than happy to give PH the praise. Until that happens I will express my doubts about his ability to manage a promotion team.
Posted by: BIGChris, September 21, 2014, 12:56pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mariner tommy

UTM

Toto was not cautioned at Aldershot.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-confirm-Toto-Nsiala-booked-Aldershot/story-22870729-detail/story.html
Posted by: barralad, September 21, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from BIGChris

About time we heard from you..... :)
Posted by: MrsMariner, September 21, 2014, 1:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from 1739
Toto now on 4 yellows. If he gets another one before Christmas then he will get a 1 match ban.

That's being optimistic the rate he's going he'll have 10 bookings by Christmas
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, September 21, 2014, 1:53pm; Reply: 38
Football is all about winning - end of!
We had only shot on target and scored
We had 15 shots and 7 on target and lost 2-0 to Torquay

Doesn't make sense really, other than luck play a huge part in any sport

I would NEVER want us to lose so a manager is under even more pressure but up until the goal I was listening to (and the stats would bear this out) another disjointed, fractured, unconvincing Town display.
As such I was as fed up as many Fishy posters and wondering if we were just not able to 'click' this season and whether we will 'click' under PH... I seriously believe this squad is stronger than last season.

and then Mr Oates strikes and we all feel happy...bloody football as Mr Ferguson once said

I would still plead with PH to
1) Start thinking about the problems we can cause oppostion - ditch 4-5-1 bo*locks as it doesn't suit us
2) Drum into the players how sh*t we are at set piece delivery - it has to improve cos it's a huge source of goals in lower league footy
3) Free Neillson up every game so he picks ball up in dangerous areas and not in cul de sacs on the wings

Posted by: moosey_club, September 21, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano
Fair assessment by barra.be interested to see the goal again.did Oates drop his shoulder and 'do' gowling ? Coz certainly gowling for the first time in the match was left floundering and it was a very very good turn n finish. The difference between the teams? We scored from our one moment of quality whilst gash missed john lewis style after their moment of brilliance from the impressive thompson

Nowhere near the team and he still gets a bashing... :B...
Posted by: moosey_club, September 21, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from barralad

This was underlined when Paddy gave away a free kick in a dangerous position by dabbing a foot in with all the conviction of Danny La Rue on tranquilisers when he finally came on.

Wonderful image created by this description.. :)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 21, 2014, 3:05pm; Reply: 41
Just seen the highlights, what a killer finish for the goal, hope that's not a fluke because that was real quality.
Posted by: nickmariners, September 21, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 42

Sick of this nonsense. Hurst is trying to win the league and I would fuccking love us to win the league. I have the club badge tattooed on my arm and crave league football just as much as anyone else. But it is wilful ignorance to not recognise that there are at least 5 other sides competing for top spot, several of which have bigger budgets than us and have more advantageous geographical locations. We should absolutely be challenging with them for promotion. But on what basis do you demand that we win it and consider anything else failure? Budget? Attendances? Bristol Rovers kick our bottom on both counts. Don't try to paint me as someone who cares less or doesn't mind if we lose in the playoffs. I am as passionate as any other Town fan but I will not apologise for the fact that I am capable of taking in to account more factors than just how much I hate being out of the league. UTFM

Exactly right, well put
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2014, 3:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mariner tommy

UTM

He was not booked against Gateshead. Check FA site, bbc and press assoc. got it wrong.

Posted by: mariner tommy, September 21, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 44

He was not booked against Gateshead. Check FA site, bbc and press assoc. got it wrong.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

UTM
Posted by: Stevie Saunders, September 21, 2014, 3:52pm; Reply: 45
Nick Mariners
Very well put - spot on mate!
This attitude that we MUST win the league is creating stupid expectations
Sure, I expect us to be in and around top 5 and then you need that bit of luck with injuries, suspensions etc to lift you over the line

I would think Barnet, Kiddy, Torquay, Bristol, Halifax, Gateshead and Wrexham (to name but SEVEN) will think they could win the league and quite rightly so

It's that competitive we could play really well from here on in and not quite make the play offs

We have a great history, we were a Division One club a few years back, we have great support, we won at Wembley twice, we've reached two FA Cup semi finals...but it counts for nothing on a wet Wednesday at Dartford

Get real folks!
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 21, 2014, 3:55pm; Reply: 46
So is Toto only on 3 yellows? - Big Chris says that there was no yellow at Aldershot and Grantham Mariner says there was no yellow at Gateshead - if so - GOOD!

UTM
Posted by: Meza, September 21, 2014, 5:14pm; Reply: 47
Cant believe someone said they wanted to lose thats just wrong.  :X

anyway I manage to kill evil Meza.
Posted by: TAGG, September 21, 2014, 5:15pm; Reply: 48

Sick of this nonsense. Hurst isnt trying to win this league and I would fookin love us to win the league eg in his interview after the game he pointed out how many points we were off a playoff spot and not how many point we were from top spot.
I have my kids names tattooed on my arm.
Its obvious that there are other teams competing for top spot, thats what its all about.
Not saying you are someone who cares less or doesn't mind if we lose the playoffs or that your not as passionate as any one else what I'm saying is yes I demand we have the ambition to win the league and anything else is a lack of ambition.
I dont really give a toss about what other clubs have got, this is another one of Hursts biggest problems as a manager hes so bothered about what our opponents have instead of concentrating on what we have.    
Posted by: mariner91, September 21, 2014, 5:23pm; Reply: 49
To say he's not trying to win the league is ridiculous. Of course he will want to win the league but ultimately, when only one automatic spot is available, the play offs shouldn't be considered a failure, it still gives us a shot at going up.
Posted by: Meza, September 21, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 50
Im not going to continue to be negative about PH as I've had my moan.  Yes it was wrong of me to wish town a defeat that was wrong and not the correct way to support a football club.

if we make the playoffs....nice one.  If we get promoted I will be in ecstasy.   If we dont I will let JF decide PH fate but my job is to support and back everyone at the club through the good times and bad.

I don't usually moan but I would say alot of crap that I wrote was down to frustration.

Anyway lets hope we can continue positive momentum.

Up the mariners
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 21, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Meza
Im not going to continue to be negative about PH as I've had my moan.  Yes it was wrong of me to wish town a defeat that was wrong and not the correct way to support a football club.

if we make the playoffs....nice one.  If we get promoted I will be in ecstasy.   If we dont I will let JF decide PH fate but my job is to support and back everyone at the club through the good times and bad.

I don't usually moan but I would say alot of crap that I wrote was down to frustration.

Up the mariners

Stick to what your opinion is and don't be swayed..

If you don't want hurst here that's your opinion and if you do that's yours too..

I don't want him as I think he has taken us as far as he can , some disagree and to me that's fine.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 21, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from mariner91
To say he's not trying to win the league is ridiculous. Of course he will want to win the league but ultimately, when only one automatic spot is available, the play offs shouldn't be considered a failure, it still gives us a shot at going up.

I am sure PH is trying to win the league in the sense that he would not want to lose games. As an ambition though I think his sights are set on a playoff spot because that is considerably more realistic and considerably easier.

There are problems though. The playoffs is not quite so much of a lottery now. Cambridge were always going to win last season and that was because they actually set their sights on the title, led the race for quite a while and so were much better than the other 3 playoff sides. That is what I and some of the other critics of the Hurst management mean when we say we lack some players and the ambition and style to get us promoted.

In other words, having a shot at going up is not good enough. What was that corny saying? Something about aim for the stars and you might reach the moon?

Posted by: Meza, September 21, 2014, 7:40pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Stick to what your opinion is and don't be swayed..

If you don't want hurst here that's your opinion and if you do that's yours too..

I don't want him as I think he has taken us as far as he can , some disagree and to me that's fine.

Yeah i know what your saying Jonnyboy, and it does look as if i've been swayed, but i haven't.  I have my opinions too on PH but i've done a lot of thinking today, and tbf i just want us to do well, as us all, and i will continue to support the team and manager until such time.  lets hope we get atleast 9 points min from the next 4 games.  
Posted by: denni266, September 21, 2014, 7:41pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Meza

Up the mariners

Fair play   there , yes it was a bit over the top wishing we loose. but frustration gets to everyone now and again , especially when it comes to football, and it showed that you care enough to go all the way , I believe that hurst wont get us up and back in the league, and i will not take playoff loses as sucess. his job is to get up promoted  end of.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 21, 2014, 7:45pm; Reply: 55
I nothing wrong with people expresses strong opinions on this board,it shows the passion they have for the club,the time to worry is when apathy creeps in and people no longer care.

Remember       Thesis + Antitheses = Synthesis.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 21, 2014, 7:50pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from friskneymariner
I nothing wrong with people expresses strong opinions on this board,it shows the passion they have for the club,the time to worry is when apathy creeps in and people no longer care.

Remember       Thesis + Antitheses = Synthesis.

Yes. And I remember that the most famous exponent of dialectics in the political sphere wanted nothing less than a complete revolution and overthrow of the regime.
Posted by: mariner91, September 21, 2014, 7:57pm; Reply: 57

I am sure PH is trying to win the league in the sense that he would not want to lose games. As an ambition though I think his sights are set on a playoff spot because that is considerably more realistic and considerably easier.

There are problems though. The playoffs is not quite so much of a lottery now. Cambridge were always going to win last season and that was because they actually set their sights on the title, led the race for quite a while and so were much better than the other 3 playoff sides. That is what I and some of the other critics of the Hurst management mean when we say we lack some players and the ambition and style to get us promoted.

In other words, having a shot at going up is not good enough. What was that corny saying? Something about aim for the stars and you might reach the moon?

I think you're right that he may be happy purely with the play offs whilst still wanting to win the league. But I disagree that Cambridge were always going to win the play offs. We beat them with a great performance in January and there is no reason that we couldn't have done so again if we'd played them. We were also unlucky to lose at home against them in the league to an own goal in a game that was pretty even overall. The season before Kiddie finished 8 points ahead of Newport and had been leading the table for a long time all season but they didn't go up, so there is never any guarantee that a team will win the play offs. The season before, York were 15 points behind Wrexham but they went up.

The play offs are a lottery and are basically a mini cup competition and it comes down to who plays better on the day generally as Wrexham were clearly a better side throughout the season than York had been and Kiddie better than Newport. I think PH aims for the league title but if we only make the play offs he isn't unhappy as we still have as much chance of others of succeeding in them. Until this stupid league gets more than 1 automatic place though, it will remain like that. We don't have the biggest budget, we shouldn't expect to win and view the play offs as failure. It's about where our budget states we should be.

For arguments sake, let's say we get in the play offs again and lose once more. If we'd shown improvement on last term throughout this coming season then I don't see how that can be a failure, we would still be going in the right direction.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 21, 2014, 8:15pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yes. And I remember that the most famous exponent of dialectics in the political sphere wanted nothing less than a complete revolution and overthrow of the regime.

Que Sera.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 21, 2014, 8:23pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Teestogreen
So is Toto only on 3 yellows? - Big Chris says that there was no yellow at Aldershot and Grantham Mariner says there was no yellow at Gateshead - if so - GOOD!

UTM

My mistake it was Aldershot.

Posted by: GyMariner, September 21, 2014, 9:01pm; Reply: 60
What's all this about PH only aiming for the playoffs. The league is still so tight with numerous clubs capable of competing for top spot. Surely there are about 10 managers aiming to win the league. We know that the players are!

What Paul hurst says and does are different things. Course he is capable of getting us promoted, if he wasn't then we'd have an attendance of about 50 people who's aim is to get away from the mrs for a few hours!!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 21, 2014, 9:03pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from mariner91

I think you're right that he may be happy purely with the play offs whilst still wanting to win the league. But I disagree that Cambridge were always going to win the play offs. We beat them with a great performance in January and there is no reason that we couldn't have done so again if we'd played them. We were also unlucky to lose at home against them in the league to an own goal in a game that was pretty even overall. The season before Kiddie finished 8 points ahead of Newport and had been leading the table for a long time all season but they didn't go up, so there is never any guarantee that a team will win the play offs. The season before, York were 15 points behind Wrexham but they went up.

The play offs are a lottery and are basically a mini cup competition and it comes down to who plays better on the day generally as Wrexham were clearly a better side throughout the season than York had been and Kiddie better than Newport. I think PH aims for the league title but if we only make the play offs he isn't unhappy as we still have as much chance of others of succeeding in them. Until this stupid league gets more than 1 automatic place though, it will remain like that. We don't have the biggest budget, we shouldn't expect to win and view the play offs as failure. It's about where our budget states we should be.

For arguments sake, let's say we get in the play offs again and lose once more. If we'd shown improvement on last term throughout this coming season then I don't see how that can be a failure, we would still be going in the right direction.

I see your point though it depends on how well the teams are playing at the end of the league proper. The form side generally wins. However I'm sure you are right that Hurst would aim to be part of the playoffs regardless and would take 5th place if it was offered now.

The other thing I would say though is that if we are not promoted (again) can the club (JF) afford to keep up the same budget for yet another season? Money isn't everything, Kidderminster show that, but it is a big factor.

Posted by: mariner91, September 21, 2014, 9:49pm; Reply: 62

I see your point though it depends on how well the teams are playing at the end of the league proper. The form side generally wins. However I'm sure you are right that Hurst would aim to be part of the playoffs regardless and would take 5th place if it was offered now.

The other thing I would say though is that if we are not promoted (again) can the club (JF) afford to keep up the same budget for yet another season? Money isn't everything, Kidderminster show that, but it is a big factor.

Yeah, generally the form side wins but hopefully we'll be the form side this year (if we're in the play offs) and won't drop off alarmingly like we have the last two Januarys.

Money is a big factor but I would argue that provided we have shown continual improvement, should we not get promoted, I'd rather keep PH and let him tweak things than bring in another manager and the inevitable changes in personnel which would have to be done on this lower budget. The changes from a new manager would likely be a lot more than if we had some continuity and we'd suffer consequently from any budget reductions.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 21, 2014, 9:57pm; Reply: 63
Our experience in the playoffs for the last 2 seasons would surely help us again - if we are in them.  It is a mini- cup competition and you always need some luck to win. The margins are usually very fine.   Eg, we were unfortunate at Gateshead when a) Neilson was send off unjustly, and b) Macca made his worst error of the season at such a vital time.

York also benefited from some good fortunate in their playoff final against Luton as one goal was clearly offside.

So far we have played poorly against Newport but better (and somewhat unlucky) against Gateshead a year later.  
Posted by: mariner91, September 21, 2014, 10:25pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Our experience in the playoffs for the last 2 seasons would surely help us again - if we are in them.  It is a mini- cup competition and you always need some luck to win. The margins are usually very fine.   Eg, we were unfortunate at Gateshead when a) Neilson was send off unjustly, and b) Macca made his worst error of the season at such a vital time.

York also benefited from some good fortunate in their playoff final against Luton as one goal was clearly offside.

So far we have played poorly against Newport but better (and somewhat unlucky) against Gateshead a year later.  

I actually think we were the better side comfortably in both home legs. Even when Newport beat us, it was their only shot on goal all game and came from a free kick which was so ridiculously awarded to them it's almost up there with Neilson's sending off. I'll get shot down for this I'm sure but PH does seem to be quite an unlucky fellow.

Admittedly, we were shite at Newport and didn't deserve to go through and at Gateshead it took an unjust sending off to get us going.
Posted by: Grimal, September 21, 2014, 10:30pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from TAGG

You may be happy with a top 5 finish but I and a lot of others aren't. We need a Manager in who looks to win the league outright [/b]not like Husts who is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs [b]and thinks that success.

Can you please show us where PH has stated he is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs,I havn't heard or seen him say it anywhere. I would imagine every manager at every club in the world aim for top spot and not second best.I wouldn't think PH is any different. UTM.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 21, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 66
The form side definitely didn't win the playoffs last year - Cambridge lost their last 4 or 5 league games didn't they?  
Posted by: Grimal, September 21, 2014, 10:54pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from friskneymariner

[/b]Remember       Thesis + Antitheses = Synthesis.
[b]

No, sorry I don't remember them, do they play for the Greek national team ?. ;)

Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:50pm