Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: JMT, September 16, 2014, 7:54am
will a loss today see the dismissal of Hurst? or will the board keep him in for a bit longer?
Posted by: bradzmilne, September 16, 2014, 8:50am; Reply: 1
I have to admit, I think he'll get a bit longer regardless. Personally I'm not one for chop and changing, especially because of Hursty on the whole has had a pretty decent spell here. Let alone because its so early on in the season but if we are going to do it lets get on with it quickly so the whole season isn't a write off.
Posted by: Garth, September 16, 2014, 8:52am; Reply: 2
Bit longer, most of the men are injured physically and mentally stabbing their leader won`t help just yet, lets see what he`s made of tonight can he be Churchillian at Dunlirk
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 16, 2014, 8:59am; Reply: 3
No doubt fenty will give him longer and maybe rightly so given the injuries. I can see us getting something tonight anyway, buying PH more time regardless.
Posted by: bluebottle, September 16, 2014, 9:06am; Reply: 4
I think the above posts are about right, for all the calling for his head by a few fans I don't see it happening just yet. That's not to say that Hurst has not had a warning fired across his bows
Posted by: Southernboy, September 16, 2014, 9:08am; Reply: 5
As ever who would we appoint that would do so much better with the same group of players? At Aldershot it wasn't Hurst's fault and we would probably have won that game making it 3 in a row and may well have then beaten the Gimps and wouldn't be having the conversation. Admittedly ifs and buts wont win us promotion but the players need as much scrutiny as PH does
Posted by: denni266, September 16, 2014, 9:12am; Reply: 6
No he does not need more time, He will never get us out of this league, It is the same all the  time with him , get a good striker in  and hey ho, there goals dry up . People saying the season is over now are wrong,, it finnished in the summer when he wasnt sacked
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2014, 9:13am; Reply: 7
For me its not just about tonights result it spans back to his failures in playoff finals and the whole package paul brings...

He has never been taken to by the fans and never will be due to his stubborness and his drab management style..

Tonight may or may not prove to be his deciding game and it may get him a reprieve but why ? Im certain we are just delaying the inevitable..
Posted by: GrimRob, September 16, 2014, 9:19am; Reply: 8
No, his overall record since he's been here has been good. Town never do well (under any manager) when the side is changing every game as PH has been forced to do for most of this season. Get a settled side and this blip will soon be forgotten.
Posted by: Garth, September 16, 2014, 9:24am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82
For me its not just about tonights result it spans back to his failures in playoff finals and the whole package paul brings...

He has never been taken to by the fans and never will be due to his stubborness and his drab management style..

Tonight may or may not prove to be his deciding game and it may get him a reprive but why ? Im certain we are just delaying the inevitable..

Because he helped get us into this mess by not adequately signing (when he had all the time in the world) cover for the strikers positions,  vacated by Cook and Southwell, bad management in my book, the next three matches will answer your question highlighted, now lets see if he and the players can get us out of it
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Garth

Because he helped get us into this mess by not adequately signing (when he had all the time in the world) cover for the strikers positions,  vacated by Cook and Southwell, bad management in my book, the next three matches will answer your question highlighted, now lets see if he and the players can get us out of it

True..

and that boils down to him, he had a full summer to get 2 quality strikers in , we got pittman who came on trial and I think he is quality but he will be injured for at least  quarter of the season as his track record proves he is very injury prone.

we knew we needed quality upfront this year and again paul decides we will go with what we have got, we should not be panicking now looking for loans , we should have 4 quality strikers at our disposal but we aint and whos fault is it?

Hannah has been imo a major disappointment since he came permanantley, yes he scored 15 or so goals last year but at a 50k price tag I would expect more.

Its time for fenty to seriously start thinking when not if he is going to take action.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2014, 9:38am; Reply: 11
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Its time for fenty to seriously start thinking when not if he is going to take action.

But which action to take? Invest in players under existing manager or appoint new manager to bring in his own? By and large we've got a decent side which is let down by a lack of depth in centre midfield and a lack of cover up front.
Posted by: Garth, September 16, 2014, 9:52am; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But which action to take? Invest in players under existing manager or appoint new manager to bring in his own? By and large we've got a decent side which is let down by a lack of depth in centre midfield and a lack of cover up front.

Difficult!    To invest in players is a no brainer,  whether under this manager who as seen can scout a good player, or throw it all in the air and change the manager as well.

Chances are under Hurst with additional playing staff we will I think make the play offs again, but with a new manager with new ideas and sound connections his new additions could well see us go all the way,

Its a question of finance, cost to get rid plus cost to recruit   versus    cost to keep and hope for the best, I know which looks the cheaper but falling gates and increased animosity might prove otherwise
Posted by: kingster72, September 16, 2014, 10:37am; Reply: 13
This season Hurst has made excuses, rightly, or wrongly about refs and injuries.  But, it was his fault Neilson missed the 1st 3 games due to not appealing his sending off, it was his fault we failed to perform in that play-off game at Gateshead, it is his fault that he persists with Disley, it is his fault and Lord Fenty's, they did sign that promised player, that would "make the hairs on the back of our necks stand on end" and leaves us short up front.  He never gave Southwell his chance and is not giving Walker and Winfarrah a decent chance either.  We have a decent squad, team, we just need a manager to get the best out of them, Hurst is not that man.  A failure to win tonight, should mean he clears his desk, as it will be crystal clear he is not able to take us up, even at this stage of the season (as it was crystal clear last season tbh).
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 16, 2014, 10:42am; Reply: 14
Is it the decider? Only if the result is an absolute disaster and even then maybe not.

For JF the deciding factors will be financial and the availability of a replacement. Doig and Dave Moore as caretakers looks most likely and a few points for that combo could spell another el cheapo appointment by Christmas. I cannot see JF paying comp for PH and comp to another club for a successful manager so his market will be most likely restricted to the unemployed or appoint from within the club.

Whatever happens, we have to face the unpleasant fact that in September the club can have only a scrape into the play-offs as an aim.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 16, 2014, 10:46am; Reply: 15
I don't want to see any man lose his job, I hope Paul can turn it around but I am very disappointed we haven't signed that elusive striker. We've needed one in since pre season and we are paying the price now. Why we can't sign a player from Solihill illegitimate Motors or whatever they are called speaks volumes! Also, PH had had three days to plug the gap yet has failed to bring anyone in. Unacceptable and I have to question his ability to attract players to the biggest club in the league. Either that or the board isn't backing him, perhaps as they don't trust him and he's on his way out?
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 16, 2014, 12:22pm; Reply: 16
John will not sack Paul just yet,

He will wait a few weeks and then judge what would be the best thing to do,

BUT

As John has said a few times on here,

It's not up to him it's a board decision.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 16, 2014, 12:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 75
I don't want to see any man lose his job, I hope Paul can turn it around but I am very disappointed we haven't signed that elusive striker. We've needed one in since pre season and we are paying the price now. Why we can't sign a player from Solihill illegitimate Motors or whatever they are called speaks volumes! Also, PH had had three days to plug the gap yet has failed to bring anyone in. Unacceptable and I have to question his ability to attract players to the biggest club in the league. Either that or the board isn't backing him, perhaps as they don't trust him and he's on his way out?

What is starting to worry me is that if we don't address all the issues hanging around the Club soon (on and off the field) we will no longer be viewed as the biggest club in the Conference.

I know people on here can be critical at times, but with the decline showing no signs of abating I think the powers that be have got off lightly with the fans really.

My opinion for what its worth is that the Board(!) has been pinning its hopes on a new ground for donkeys years now and it looks as far away as ever.

This new stadium malarkey has been going on to the detriment of everything else.

I would like some statement (in English preferably) from the Board(!) about what they intend to do to turn the playing fortunes around if indeed the new stadium may be 3/5/10 years away.

I think we are being taken for mugs if I am honest.    

Posted by: pontoonlew, September 16, 2014, 12:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob
No, his overall record since he's been here has been good. Town never do well (under any manager) when the side is changing every game as PH has been forced to do for most of this season. Get a settled side and this blip will soon be forgotten.

Rob he wasn't forced to do it at Lincoln, he just did it anyway. Costing us the game.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2014, 12:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

the only action is a new manager with fresh ideas and a confidence in his team that they are good enough, paul imo does not have the balls to make them big decisions when we need them, his subs are predictable his interviews are predictable..

I know we have the squad, I really do believe the quality is there its about making your players believe yes we can win this league and yes we are going there for a win , not the 4-5-1 which says everything you need to know.

it is just time for that change we have needed for about a year and it should happen now.

the hardest job will be getting a new man in and that is one decision john and the board need to take time and talk to other people about to make sure that when and not if the inevitable happens they get it right because he cant afford to get it wrong.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 16, 2014, 12:47pm; Reply: 20
For the record, the results at Gateshead & Alfreton have bought him more time in my eyes. If they were scraped 1-0 wins i'd be certainly calling for his head, he's showed that he can make this team play well. The concern after those games was, was he going to be classic Hurst and revert to his old negative ways. Quite staggeringly he has, he's only himself to blame for that.

People cite the fact he's got unlucky with injuries as we don't have enough cover. Who's fault is that? It's Hurst's fault for not bringing in the right amount of players needed for any eventuality. 3 strikers is a bit of a joke, yet he's done sod all about it still. A loss tonight will see him under some serious serious pressure. A new manager will have a good squad to work with, Hurst can take pride in that. But he's never ever going to be tactically aware or flexible enough to get this side promoted, the last 4 weeks have summed him up in a nutshell.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 16, 2014, 12:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from JMT
will a loss today see the dismissal of Hurst? or will the board keep him in for a bit longer?

Dunno. Only one man can answer that.
Posted by: DocTower, September 16, 2014, 1:09pm; Reply: 22
With 2 of the potentially 4 big games in a row we haven't shown anything that provides confidence for the fugure . Injuries are a factor , the odd player with a loss of form , however it's never really been addressed . Get the Kiddy game out of the way , then serious decisions will have to be made . As Garth said cost to us for keeping him , cost to the club for letting him go .
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, September 16, 2014, 1:13pm; Reply: 23

What is starting to worry me is that if we don't address all the issues hanging around the Club soon (on and off the field) we will no longer be viewed as the biggest club in the Conference.

I know people on here can be critical at times, but with the decline showing no signs of abating I think the powers that be have got off lightly with the fans really.

My opinion for what its worth is that the Board(!) has been pinning its hopes on a new ground for donkeys years now and it looks as far away as ever.

This new stadium malarkey has been going on to the detriment of everything else.

I would like some statement (in English preferably) from the Board(!) about what they intend to do to turn the playing fortunes around if indeed the new stadium may be 3/5/10 years away.

I think we are being taken for mugs if I am honest.    

Sounds very similar to what Newell said about us fans and the set up at GTFC - what was it about 5 or 6 years ago now. :-/
Posted by: Maringer, September 16, 2014, 1:48pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from pontoonlew

Rob he wasn't forced to do it at Lincoln, he just did it anyway. Costing us the game.

Defensive errors, including 2 daft penalties, allied with misses at the other end of the pitch cost us that game.

There is simply no way of knowing if an unchanged team would have won, especially in a game as heated as a derby match.

Regardless, this doesn't relieve him of the responsiblity for failing to sign enough strikers this season, which is a bad error.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 16, 2014, 1:57pm; Reply: 25
I was appalled by PH's comment in the Telegraph that they would 'give it a go' tonight.  That sounds so lame from a manager of a team with aspirations to be top of the table.  He should be saying that we are going there to give are all and I expect the players to win, even with injuries.  Imagine Winston Churchill saying 'we'll give it a go on the beaches'!!

No leadership
Posted by: DocTower, September 16, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 26
If and it is a big if  , we went in for Bogle again , and he sees what state we have got into would he really want to sign for us .?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 16, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I was appalled by PH's comment in the Telegraph that they would 'give it a go' tonight.  That sounds so lame from a manager of a team with aspirations to be top of the table.  He should be saying that we are going there to give are all and I expect the players to win, even with injuries.  Imagine Winston Churchill saying 'we'll give it a go on the beaches'!!

No leadership

yep.

file under woking at home etc..
Posted by: denni266, September 16, 2014, 2:30pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from DocTower
If and it is a big if  , we went in for Bogle again , and he sees what state we have got into would he really want to sign for us .?

this is starting to look like it is happining all the time now, no one wants to play for us. or him
Posted by: Abdul19, September 16, 2014, 2:59pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from DocTower

He didn't anyway did he, even back in those halcyon days when we weren't in the state of losing 3 games.
Posted by: Grimal, September 16, 2014, 3:24pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Garth
Bit longer, most of the men are injured physically and mentally stabbing their leader won`t help just yet, lets see what he`s made of tonight can he be Churchillian at Dunkirk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sh!t,I thought we were playing at Halifax,better take the next exit off the M62, I'm heading the opposite direction. ;)

Posted by: Grimal, September 16, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from kingster72
This season Hurst has made excuses, rightly, or wrongly about refs and injuries.  But, it was his fault Neilson missed the 1st 3 games due to not appealing his sending off, [/b]it was his fault we failed to perform in that play-off game at Gateshead[b], it is his fault that he persists with Disley, it is his fault and Lord Fenty's, they did sign that promised player, that would "make the hairs on the back of our necks stand on end" and leaves us short up front.  He never gave Southwell his chance and is not giving Walker and Winfarrah a decent chance either.  We have a decent squad, team, we just need a manager to get the best out of them, Hurst is not that man.  A failure to win tonight, should mean he clears his desk, as it will be crystal clear he is not able to take us up, even at this stage of the season (as it was crystal clear last season tbh).

Please explain to us all how PH can be to blame for the team not  performing in the playoff game at Gateshead ,was it his fault the ref was blind and was it his fault hatton was just a stupid Tw@t.Also was it Hursts fault that Pearson missed that game due to suspension.

Posted by: pontoonlew, September 16, 2014, 4:33pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Grimal

Please explain to us all how PH can be to blame for the team not  performing in the playoff game at Gateshead ,was it his fault the ref was blind and was it his fault hatton was just a stupid Tw@t.Also was it Hursts fault that Pearson missed that game due to suspension.

No but it was his fault that he failed to capitalise on a weakness we ALL saw in Gateshead from the first leg. In the first half we were poor when we gave them time, second half we closed down quickly and we battered them. Unfortunately Hurst hadn't addressed his goal scoring problem (and still hasn't) and we couldn't put the tie to bed there and then.

For some stupid reason he then reverted back to the tactics of the first half for the away leg, it was only when the ref made that stupid decision that we had to push forward and actually looked any good.

Fast forward to August, we decide to go to Gateshead and close them down and lo and behold we score 6 bloody goals!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 16, 2014, 5:37pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Abdul19

He didn't anyway did he, even back in those halcyon days when we weren't in the state of losing 3 games.

I can't understand it. Why would he not want to sign for a progressive and ambitious club like Grimsby with a go-ahead manager committed to attacking football in every game and a side that creates dozens of chances for strikers? Makes no sense really. I can only assume he is allergic to fish.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 16, 2014, 5:48pm; Reply: 34
Maybe Fenty and the board haven't even considered Pauls position as manager. A lot of people would like to see him replaced and are assuming the powers that be think the same way. They may not be.

It is early in the season and things can change rapidly in football.

I'm no lover of Hurst as most know but finding a replacement isn't easy. There are plenty of managers out there looking for work but i'm not sure i trust the board to pick the right one after repeated failures. Employing Woods over Slade is still a staggering decision looking back. Do you trust the board to come up with a suitable candidate?

Mills was the right man at the right time IMO but that ship has sailed. I don't know what to think anymore but i'm annoyed that we can't seem to find a suitable striker to sign. Is Hurst correct when he says he has been looking but there is no one suitable?
Posted by: Garth, September 16, 2014, 6:06pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
Maybe Fenty and the board haven't even considered Pauls position as manager. A lot of people would like to see him replaced and are assuming the powers that be think the same way. They may not be.

It is early in the season and things can change rapidly in football.

I'm no lover of Hurst as most know but finding a replacement isn't easy. There are plenty of managers out there looking for work but i'm not sure i trust the board to pick the right one after repeated failures. Employing Woods over Slade is still a staggering decision looking back. Do you trust the board to come up with a suitable candidate?

Mills was the right man at the right time IMO but that ship has sailed. I don't know what to think anymore but i'm annoyed that we can't seem to find a suitable striker to sign. Is Hurst correct when he says he has been looking but there is no one suitable?

Yes because they have all been snapped up long ago, he forgot to cross out their names in his little black book
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 7:19pm