Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RichMariner, September 13, 2014, 5:41pm
I don't fully understand how we got it so right against Gateshead and Alfreton, and then got it so wrong against Lincoln and Torquay.

But I have a theory.

Against Gateshead we closed them down from minute one. Hurst got his tactics spot on that day, so he does have some tactical nous.

But in the last few matches he's reverted to the style he showed in the second half of last season - giving too much consideration to the way the opposition were going to set up. That's fine if the team your playing is better, and has better players, but there are very few teams in this division that have that.

We should start every game at home like we did at Gateshead - press from the off, get the fans behind the players and give the visitors no time to settle.

Too often we give the opposition time to find their feet and let them play the way they want to play. We're not aggressive enough and we don't force the opposition to re-evaluate their own tactics often enough. Let them worry about us.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 13, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from RichMariner
I don't fully understand how we got it so right against Gateshead and Alfreton, and then got it so wrong against Lincoln and Torquay.

But I have a theory.

Against Gateshead we closed them down from minute one. Hurst got his tactics spot on that day, so he does have some tactical nous.

But in the last few matches he's reverted to the style he showed in the second half of last season - giving too much consideration to the way the opposition were going to set up. That's fine if the team your playing is better, and has better players, but there are very few teams in this division that have that.

We should start every game at home like we did at Gateshead - press from the off, get the fans behind the players and give the visitors no time to settle.

Too often we give the opposition time to find their feet and let them play the way they want to play. We're not aggressive enough and we don't force the opposition to re-evaluate their own tactics often enough. Let them worry about us.

imo its simple 442 and pass the flipping ball.

he`s not a good enough manager to start playing with fancy formations.
Posted by: Tinymariner, September 13, 2014, 5:45pm; Reply: 2
The main difference is Disley. He slows the play down and with Neilson out wide instead of running across the midfield.
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 13, 2014, 5:52pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from RichMariner

But I have a theory.

So why can Paul not see the reason why he won this game and implement the same game plan (in fact he did 2 days later)? In fact at Aldershot, the wheels came off when LJL was sent off ( when apparently Town were still the better team with 10 men). At that point, we were still not broken - just wounded.
Posted by: DocTower, September 13, 2014, 6:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Tinymariner
The main difference is Disley. He slows the play down and with Neilson out wide instead of running across the midfield.

Did we not look better when he went off ?

Do the other players not like playing with him  ?
Predictable with his twirl and side pass , certainly no longer captain material .
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), September 13, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 5
Disley has done well for town over the years but I think time is catching up with him if I'm honest, he just doesn't seem to have any influence on a game anymore, hope there is still time for him to find some kind of form.
Our main problem is the tinker man!  things where going fine up to the lincoln game and that was even after a loss to aldershot as reported we were unlucky, but like jonny boy has said he just can't do these fancy formations, I believe if Hurst stuck to to 442 for the rest of the season and played a consistent team on form without trying to be a clever girl private with constant tinkerings we would finish above where we are heading which is mid table.
Posted by: acko338, September 13, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 6
Too slow with Disley in the current starting line up - Clay, Neilson, Brown and McLaughlin are a proven unit yet with no injuries, the midfield is changed and both games are lost in the first half !!

Disley back on the bench for Tuesday, please, or it'll be three losses on the trot !!

Impact player now, not a starter, pace is the problem nowadays !! Not there any more ! Sorry !
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2014, 8:11am; Reply: 7
Quoted from acko338
Too slow with Disley in the current starting line up - Clay, Neilson, Brown and McLaughlin are a proven unit yet with no injuries, the midfield is changed and both games are lost in the first half !!

Disley back on the bench for Tuesday, please, or it'll be three losses on the trot !!

Impact player now, not a starter, pace is the problem nowadays !! Not there any more ! Sorry !

Clay went off injured on Tuesday with a knock to the ankle which affected Hurst's decision making yesterday (and rightly so IMO).

Factually the Lincoln game was decidedly NOT lost in the first half as the score at HT was 1-1. It was actually lost because of hitherto not spotted defensive frailties in the second half.

Other than that I believe we have far more pressing problems for Tuesday which have nothing whatsoever to do with Disley. Unless something is done defensively Halifax's speed and movement will cause us real problems and as it stands we have one fit striker who has shown no capability at all to play a lone striker role...
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:33am