Posted by: gtfc98, September 27, 2010, 8:22pm
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10417~2167186,00.html

FURNEAUX OUT
Posted by: BIGChris, September 27, 2010, 8:36pm; Reply: 1
Have you put your proposal to the club?
Posted by: kingofthekippers, September 27, 2010, 8:44pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from BIGChris
Have you put your proposal to the club?

He'd have to be a shareholder to put that forward at the AGM. Something tells me he's not a shareholder.
Posted by: Shiver, September 27, 2010, 8:47pm; Reply: 3
I've got 5 shares bought 3/4 years ago for £100 each, I will sell him 1 for £0.50 before it's totally worthless  ;D
Posted by: gtfc98, September 27, 2010, 8:59pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from kingofthekippers

He'd have to be a shareholder to put that forward at the AGM. Something tells me he's not a shareholder.

I am not  a shareholder. Putting this sort of proposal forward at the club's AGM would be pointless anyway given that the majority of ordinary shares (which carry voting rights) in the club are owned by Fenty, who is never going to get rid of Furneaux. Perhaps I do rant on about Furneaux but I can't help but feel the club would have a more positive atmosphere around the place without him involved. After his backstabbing of Bill Carr, the whole Jevons fiasco and his continued involvement in our decline continually seeing him attending home and away matches (including travel) free of charge for a return of £500 in share capital is a bit of a kick in the teeth for fans who part with good money to watch the mariners. I cannot possibly see what he brings to the board
Posted by: siy2k5, September 27, 2010, 9:03pm; Reply: 5
I'd gladly buy out Mr Burns' £500 shareholding.
Posted by: Rich Boy, September 27, 2010, 10:24pm; Reply: 6
GTST are hoping to be elected to the board, they just need to have another squabble amongst themselves to decide who will take over from Fenty.
Posted by: the Grimbarian, September 28, 2010, 11:18am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Rich Boy
GTST are hoping to be elected to the board, they just need to have another squabble amongst themselves to decide who will take over from Fenty.

They will never get any where near the board as long as we all live,they own a lot of shares but when it comes to being aboard member they have no big money backers!!
Posted by: Grim_Exile, September 28, 2010, 11:57am; Reply: 8
Quoted from the Grimbarian

They will never get any where near the board as long as we all live,they own a lot of shares but when it comes to being aboard member they have no big money backers!!

I beg to differ.  The Supporters Trust has *potentially* the biggest of backers going which are THE SUPPORTERS.  Sadly, for some reason the majority of fans continue to overlook this fact and wait for a fairy godfather/mother to materialise and make everything better.

As one well known insurer says - 'Together, We're Stronger'.

Posted by: tarka, September 28, 2010, 2:06pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Rich Boy

Sorry Tony, but which "squabble" are you referring to?  In over 7 years I can't recall one "squabble" - come to think of it, we have never actually discussed who would join the Board if we actually did find the money.  In the unlikely event of that happening, there would probably be an election to the position.
Posted by: BIGChris, September 28, 2010, 2:51pm; Reply: 10
Amyone on here expecting to go to the AGM on Thursday?
Posted by: the Grimbarian, September 29, 2010, 12:36pm; Reply: 11
So why havent the Supporters taken to having their own trust then??
Posted by: forza ivano, September 29, 2010, 12:40pm; Reply: 12

because they're an apathetic bunch in the main who are quite content to moan from the sidelines about the team/manager/stewards/bar staff/ticket office girls /steve wraith/chairman/ furneaux/facilities/ nweather / price of beer /the town itself/ referees/ sky/the trust and anyhting else that doesn't require them getting of their arrses and doing anything positive?
Posted by: theicenian, September 29, 2010, 12:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from forza ivano

because they're an apathetic bunch in the main who are quite content to moan from the sidelines about the team/manager/stewards/bar staff/ticket office girls /steve wraith/chairman/ furneaux/facilities/ nweather / price of beer /the town itself/ referees/ sky/the trust and anyhting else that doesn't require them getting of their arrses and doing anything positive?

Oooops.  But painfully near the truth.

We don't have a big enough COMMITTED fan base.   Even if the approximate 3000 regulars were totally committed (which they aren't,see above) you would still be way short of enough clout to have a say.  It all comes down to money these days.

Posted by: Grim_Exile, September 29, 2010, 12:46pm; Reply: 14

errm, can I point you in the direction of http://www.gtst.net???

Posted by: marinerjase, September 29, 2010, 12:52pm; Reply: 15
you could, but you'd be wasting your time with Hamilton. Ignore his pathetic jibes, been doing it for years and not worth responding to. He's more inclined to want to be directed to 'other' websites..very average ones apparently.
Posted by: tarka, September 29, 2010, 1:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from BIGChris
Amyone on here expecting to go to the AGM on Thursday?

Yes, I'll be there Chris.
Posted by: tarka, September 29, 2010, 1:12pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from marinerjase
you could, but you'd be wasting your time with Hamilton. Ignore his pathetic jibes, been doing it for years and not worth responding to. He's more inclined to want to be directed to 'other' websites..very average ones apparently.

...for all age groups too!  ;)
Posted by: TWAreaTownSupporter, September 30, 2010, 12:57am; Reply: 18
Quoted from marinerjase

Oh it's that male masturbator.  I wondered why there was a whiny noise when I opened this thread. Thought I'd developed tinnitus.

Posted by: BIGChris, September 30, 2010, 12:43pm; Reply: 19
Nothing major to report.

The proposal for Mike Parker to buy £499,999 shares and for JF to convert some of his loans to shares was virtually unnanimously carried.

Everyone favourite Mr Furneaux, was re elected to the board.

They expect to lose somewhere in the region of £500-700k this season which will be covered by the directors.

The planning permission for the ground at Great Coates expires on 13th Nov and they will not be spending the £50k+ to renew it at present. They are exploring alternatives with the BACKING of the council but wont expand on that until something more definete can be announced.

Tribunal for Ademeno is next Thursday at the FA.

The question raised by someone on here about the pension payments to JF in the accounts. As previously explained this was a tax efficent way of paying back the Five Star Fish loan. One mor epayment still has to be made.

Icey was mentioned!!! The swearing in the main stand is getting out of hand  said one shareholder and is disturbing to women and young children!

One shareholder wants the drum banned but it is likely to go to a vote on the OS shortly.

Mr Colgan was brought up and JF handled the question well impling, but not answering, as a difficult situation!! ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 30, 2010, 12:56pm; Reply: 20
So Great Coates is officially dead then?
Posted by: BIGChris, September 30, 2010, 1:01pm; Reply: 21
So Great Coates is officially dead then?

Not officially but certainly on the back burner and exploring alternatives with council backing
Posted by: marinerian, September 30, 2010, 1:02pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from BIGChris

Not officially but certainly on the back burner and exploring alternatives with council backing

It makes sense working with the Council looking for the right place and oppertunity!
Posted by: psgmariner, September 30, 2010, 1:26pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

I'm actually quite pleased about this. Not that the new ground is dead but that Great Coates is dead. It would be fantastic if there was another suitable site that wasn't so far out of town. Here's hoping...
Posted by: marinerian, September 30, 2010, 1:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from psgmariner

I'm actually quite pleased about this. Not that the new ground is dead but that Great Coates is dead. It would be fantastic if there was another suitable site that wasn't so far out of town. Here's hoping...

Move it to Immingham! You know it makes sense for me  ;) ;D
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 30, 2010, 1:34pm; Reply: 25
All that money that could have gone on the playing budget was well spent on the planning push then.
Posted by: BIGChris, September 30, 2010, 1:36pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from headingly_mariner
All that money that could have gone on the playing budget was well spent on the planning push then.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! ;)
Posted by: Rik e B, September 30, 2010, 1:40pm; Reply: 27
What about that spot opposite grimsby Leisure Centre, Millenium Park is it? 'Retail enabling development' could be incorporated in the sides of the stadium possibly?
Posted by: Denby, September 30, 2010, 1:54pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from BIGChris

perhaps it's time to read alec king's letter of resignation again ;)
Posted by: Lord Sommet, September 30, 2010, 1:57pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from BIGChris
Nothing major to report.

They expect to lose somewhere in the region of £500-700k this season which will be covered by the directors.

Furneaux, Chapman and Elsom actually going to help with this or will it be left to Parker and Fenty as usual?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 30, 2010, 2:00pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from BIGChris

Foresight is more useful though!
Posted by: theicenian, September 30, 2010, 2:05pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from BIGChris

Icey was mentioned!!! The swearing in the main stand is getting out of hand  said one shareholder and is disturbing to women and young children!

Well B**ger that!     Actually ans quite surprisingly I have not heard any swearing this season in our little bit of the main. I have heard one bit of ethnic abuse and Uriah dealt with that in his own way and rather efffectively too. :)
Posted by: marinerjase, September 30, 2010, 2:16pm; Reply: 32
Grimsby docks re new ground,makes perfect sense. I'm led to believe its been looked at and the ball slowly rolling.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 30, 2010, 3:43pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from marinerjase
Grimsby docks re new ground,makes perfect sense. I'm led to believe its been looked at and the ball slowly rolling.

I hope so.That's my preferred location.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 30, 2010, 3:51pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

I hope so.That's my preferred location.

Me too but reckon it's very unlikely.

There is a fair bit of space there but it doesn't seem very practical.
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 3:57pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from psgmariner

Me too but reckon it's very unlikely.

There is a fair bit of space there but it doesn't seem very practical.
Please tell me where there is the space* on Grimsby Docks to create a football ground, car park & other facilities!  :-/

(*Whilst leaving room for commercial users to carry out their business!)

Posted by: psgmariner, September 30, 2010, 4:06pm; Reply: 36
That's sort of what I meant - it has more "space" than the rest of the town centre but still not enough for a ground to be practical.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 30, 2010, 4:15pm; Reply: 37
I think there is plenty of room over by North Quay and there's already a train station at Old Clee.
Posted by: Biccys, September 30, 2010, 4:19pm; Reply: 38
We really love going over old ground again and again on here don't we?! The docks have previously been dismissed as unsuitable for one reason or another.

I thought the GC site was earmarked as Fenty already owns that land so it wouldn't cost any more? I may have been mislead into that though...
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 4:24pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from psgmariner
That's sort of what I meant - it has more "space" than the rest of the town centre but still not enough for a ground to be practical.
Sorry, should have really put my comment against one of the earlier posts.

Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 4:25pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings
I think there is plenty of room over by North Quay and there's already a train station at Old Clee.
North Quay is, as far as I know, already earmarked for development for industry.

Posted by: psgmariner, September 30, 2010, 4:26pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from marinerjase

Any more details then? I'm intrigued.

I still want a floating stadium really.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 30, 2010, 4:27pm; Reply: 42
What about riby square end of freeman st,

knock down dereelict buildings,
relocate businesses elsewhere in the st
Nice big juction at Riby square
already on major bus routes
train station near by
rest of Freemo regenerated, pubs cafes shops etc
hey jobs  a good un
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 4:27pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Biccys
I thought the GC site was earmarked as Fenty already owns that land so it wouldn't cost any more? I may have been mislead into that though...

Think the GC site was earmarked as we were in a different league then and we were looking at regularly getting several thousand away fans traveliing down the A180.
Posted by: semilapsedmariner, September 30, 2010, 4:29pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Rik e B
What about that spot opposite grimsby Leisure Centre, Millenium Park is it? 'Retail enabling development' could be incorporated in the sides of the stadium possibly?

Brilliant idea new ground on an old rubbish tip.
Would go well with with the last ten years of rubbish served up at the present ground.
Posted by: theicenian, September 30, 2010, 4:36pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Biccys
We really love going over old ground again and again on here don't we?! The docks have previously been dismissed as unsuitable for one reason or another.

No,I think the land still belongs to Sutton Estates.    Oh agricultural land has doubled in price in the last ten years so if JF already owned it and different site is found RBoH will have a ball pointing out the profiteering chairman.    ;)

Posted by: carrot top, September 30, 2010, 4:36pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from semilapsedmariner

Brilliant idea new ground on an old rubbish tip.
Would go well with with the last ten years of rubbish served up at the present ground.

Wasn't Scunny's Old Show Ground built on a tip aswell. Makes sense why they were rubbish for years
Posted by: AndyGTFC, September 30, 2010, 4:56pm; Reply: 47
Some interesting stuff there. It seems like the Great Coates ground is all but dead and buried now then but at least we've finally heard something new regarding it. Will be interesting to see what location they earmark next.
Posted by: ska face, September 30, 2010, 5:02pm; Reply: 48
I wouldn't say the Great Coates location is dead, but the stadium and plans in their current form pretty much are.

As negative and backwards looking as it sounds, I'm quite pleased :)

Hopefully a bit more thought will be put into future plans with regards to trying to maintain a bit of character and soul in any new ground as opposed to the flat-pack identikit idea that had been lingering over us for much of the last 15 years.
Posted by: RexFannies, September 30, 2010, 5:03pm; Reply: 49
Maybe the council have plans for the green stuff at Cleethorpes leisure centre afterall
Posted by: Lumpsleftbreast, September 30, 2010, 5:06pm; Reply: 50
That or we will be playing at Bradley pitches new stadium soon  :P
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 30, 2010, 6:00pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Lumpsleftbreast
That or we will be playing at Bradley pitches new stadium soon  :P

Or a takeover by Grimsby Borough? ;)

Posted by: 75 (Guest), September 30, 2010, 6:45pm; Reply: 52
Would be awesome under the dock tower.

Loads of haddock all over the place, think fog off the north sea, dodgy prostitutes touting for business in dark corners and lurking behind skips full of rotting fish. Tattooed losers from Cottee's lording it over any away fan daft enough to leave the relative safety of the fentydome.

The opposition would be beaten before they kicked off.
Posted by: kingofthekippers, September 30, 2010, 7:27pm; Reply: 53
Realistically GC has been dead for some time now given that:

A) The club have yet to purchase the land, the land is agricultural land and (as mentioned earlier) agricultural land has doubled in value in the last five years
B) The development would require a commercial mortgage to fund a significant chunk of it and banks have clamped down on their lending
C) The recession has probably seen off any interest in retailers looking to particpate in the retail park for at least five years
D) Grants available at the time are no more due to planned government spending cuts
E) We are three divisions lower than when the plans were first mooted and costed

Other than that it is alive and kicking!
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 8:25pm; Reply: 54
Realistically GC has been dead for some time now given that:

A) The club have yet to purchase the land, the land is agricultural land and (as mentioned earlier) agricultural land has doubled in value in the last five years
B) The development would require a commercial mortgage to fund a significant chunk of it and banks have clamped down on their lending
C) The recession has probably seen off any interest in retailers looking to particpate in the retail park for at least five years
D) Grants available at the time are no more due to planned government spending cuts
E) We are three divisions lower than when the plans were first mooted and costed

Other than that it is alive and kicking!

Miserable git!!  ;) ;D
Posted by: Biccys, September 30, 2010, 8:30pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from JazzMariner

Think the GC site was earmarked as we were in a different league then and we were looking at regularly getting several thousand away fans traveliing down the A180.

Maybe so but those days are only a few seasons away..... Potentially...
Posted by: theicenian, September 30, 2010, 8:31pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from JazzMariner

Miserable git!!  ;) ;D

But realistic.     And the price of the land wouldn't be it's agricultural value either would it,Sutton Estates would want it's pound of flesh.

So looking elsewhere is no bad thing but for much further into the future. AGAIN.
Posted by: JazzMariner, September 30, 2010, 8:33pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Biccys

Maybe so but those days are only a few seasons away..... Potentially...
Positive git!!  ;D

Posted by: Tommy, September 30, 2010, 8:41pm; Reply: 58
Are we free of that tax debt nowadays?

Can't remember an announcement to say that it was done and dusted, unless i missed it. Last i remember hearing was that it was re-negotiated to allow us to pay if off in smaller installments over a slightly longer period. Think that was a couple of years ago though.
Posted by: BIGChris, September 30, 2010, 10:18pm; Reply: 59
I THINK the tax debt is now gone BUT the bank now want the overdraft restructured as a loan with monthly repayments
Posted by: gobby, October 1, 2010, 7:27am; Reply: 60
What about the old Birds Eye site on Ladysmith Road, before you say its too small,take the time to see how big this site actually is. Parking may be on the streets again (should not need too much at present) there is a cracking little club plus the Honesy Lawyer. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Biccys, October 1, 2010, 7:56am; Reply: 61
The whole idea of having a new ground is to stop having to park around the streets again! I agree the old factory site would be a good place for the ground but parking would discount it.
Posted by: EvilFish, October 1, 2010, 8:40am; Reply: 62
I don't understand the issue with on-street parking. Most of the grounds I've driven to that have had a car park (including "newer" grounds like Derby and Bolton) it's taken me absolutely ages to get out of after the match. I've never had a problem getting away from BP, despite ("shock, horror!") staying until after the final whistle. The only time it took me a while to leave was when I parked right outside the turnstiles for the Spurs cup match.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 1, 2010, 8:59am; Reply: 63
Quoted from EvilFish
I don't understand the issue with on-street parking. Most of the grounds I've driven to that have had a car park (including "newer" grounds like Derby and Bolton) it's taken me absolutely ages to get out of after the match. I've never had a problem getting away from BP, despite ("shock, horror!") staying until after the final whistle. The only time it took me a while to leave was when I parked right outside the turnstiles for the Spurs cup match.

But you can charge a fiver per car
Posted by: EvilFish, October 1, 2010, 9:23am; Reply: 64
Quoted from headingly_mariner

But you can charge a fiver per car

Exactly - so everyone parks on the street anyway because they don't want to pay it.

Posted by: theicenian, October 1, 2010, 9:29am; Reply: 65
Is it Wycombe that it takes an hour and a half to get out of the carpark?
Posted by: psgmariner, October 1, 2010, 9:39am; Reply: 66
Quoted from theicenian
Is it Wycombe that it takes an hour and a half to get out of the carpark?

Yep but there is a beautiful industrial estate to look at whilst you wait.
Posted by: Biccys, October 1, 2010, 9:45am; Reply: 67
I was thinking more along the lines of the Madejski in Reading. They have a huge car park on site and it's a piece of wee wee to get in and out of. Sentimentality about parking on a street is not a replacement for great planning....
Posted by: forza ivano, October 1, 2010, 10:12am; Reply: 68
Quoted from 75
Would be awesome under the dock tower.

Loads of haddock all over the place, think fog off the north sea, dodgy prostitutes touting for business in dark corners and lurking behind skips full of rotting fish. Tattooed losers from Cottee's lording it over any away fan daft enough to leave the relative safety of the fentydome.

The opposition would be beaten before they kicked off.

lmfao! it'd be a legendary trip for footie fans. leave as many of the little byways and buildings up as possible so that everyone gets hopelessly lost in a victorian-industrial-maze, with the aded attraction of then having to dodge the under 5's/cbp/ghs  as they desperately try to locate the ground. we could market it as not just a football match but an adventure weekend/bare knuckle ride all rolled into 1 ;D ;D
Posted by: EvilFish, October 1, 2010, 10:16am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Biccys
I was thinking more along the lines of the Madejski in Reading. They have a huge car park on site and it's a piece of wee wee to get in and out of. Sentimentality about parking on a street is not a replacement for great planning....

I'm not sentimental about parking on a street, I'm just not a big fan of sitting in a car in a car park for two hours while everyone slowly exits out of the one exit on to a busy road (which is exactly what the design was like for the Great Coates site).
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, October 1, 2010, 10:47am; Reply: 70
How about at that white elephant Cleethorpes Meridian Arena. Seems to be lots of room there.

Could also be used during the summer for events....
Posted by: Biccys, October 1, 2010, 10:54am; Reply: 71
Quoted from EvilFish

I'm not sentimental about parking on a street, I'm just not a big fan of sitting in a car in a car park for two hours while everyone slowly exits out of the one exit on to a busy road (which is exactly what the design was like for the Great Coates site).

Like I said, the Madejski is a doddle to get out of. Good design and forethought is what's needed and they managed it there so why can't we here?
Posted by: EvilFish, October 1, 2010, 10:56am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Biccys

Like I said, the Madejski is a doddle to get out of. Good design and forethought is what's needed and they managed it there so why can't we here?

Like I said, the original design for the new stadium suggested not.
Posted by: LH, October 1, 2010, 11:32am; Reply: 73
Madejski? Easy to get out of? It took me at least 20 mins when I went! Coincidentally, the Madejski is built on top of an old rubbish tip and has vents located around the site to let the gases from below escape.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 1, 2010, 11:36am; Reply: 74
And I thought that funny smell was Cilla Black
Posted by: ginnywings, October 1, 2010, 12:22pm; Reply: 75
The fact is,it is almost impossible to get planning permission for construction of any kind without provision for adequate parking,so any new site would have to cater for so many thousand cars,whether the punters used them or not.
Posted by: kingofthekippers, October 1, 2010, 9:58pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from BIGChris
I THINK the tax debt is now gone BUT the bank now want the overdraft restructured as a loan with monthly repayments

I haven't heard that one but it wouldn't surprise me. Having said that if the club have a chairman and others who are willing to underwrite the losses each year then there is little reason for Lloyds to put anything like that into practice; the rates chargable on an o/d are far greater than that on a loan.
Posted by: BIGChris, October 1, 2010, 10:01pm; Reply: 77

I haven't heard that one but it wouldn't surprise me. Having said that if the club have a chairman and others who are willing to underwrite the losses each year then there is little reason for Lloyds to put anything like that into practice; the rates chargable on an o/d are far greater than that on a loan.

The chairman said that the costs will increase on a structured repayment programme and the club are resisting it but half expect the bank to push it through anyway.

I assume the overdraft isnt fully fluctuating and if it is 'solid' then most banks will insist upon a structured repayment programme, especially in the current climate
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:49am