5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
May 23, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,474
Gold Stars: 1,500

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
moosey_club
May 23, 2023, 9:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

Gosh....Pollen count must be high today as my eyes just started watering

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
TownSNAFU5
May 23, 2023, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
Gold Stars: 42
Some of my favourite words there:

“Deserved equaliser”.

“Grimsby’s golden goal!”.

(Well, to be picky,  that was at the old Wembley in 1998 - in front of the massed Town fans).  We will take it though.

The prize for winning was playing away to Wrexham. Very difficult but we know how that went! 😥 for the home fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
Limerick Mariner
May 23, 2023, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
My only ejection from a football ground in 50+years; followed by a stroll through the open ("let the away fans out whilst the home fans are celebrating the win") away stand gates to watch extra time. And my daughter giving the finger to the stewards who chucked us out after the winner went in. Deep joy...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
Numanoid
May 23, 2023, 1:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
Makes you realise how important Maguire Drew was in those games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
RonMariner
May 23, 2023, 1:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,665
Marvelous.

I suppose I might eventually get bored re watching that.

But not anytime soon!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
Posh Harry
May 23, 2023, 1:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,358
Gold Stars: 35
The day that I don’t get emotional watching any of the videos from last seasons play offs will be the day the last nail goes in.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
diehardmariner
May 23, 2023, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,579
Gold Stars: 537
That roar for the equaliser....!

So many sliding doors moments in that game.  What wasn't shown in that clip was the foul on Clifton that resulted in the free-kick for the equaliser.  Referee could easily have just waved it away and that was it.  Could also have given a penalty too, something we had struggled with all season.

Crocombe is more composed in that scramble and actually takes a shot, which doesn't go in.  Waterfall goes a mili-second earlier for JMD's second free-kick, Mani too for the knockdown.  Or the Ref thinks Mani's handled it...

The drama of that was something I didn't think would ever be repeated, only to do it 6 days later in North Wales.  By the time the final came round it was a bit of a damp squib in comparison, dare I say it felt a foregone conclusion even though Solihull finished higher than us and had done the double over us.

Never say never, but I'm pretty confident that I'll never experience anything like that again as a Town fan.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
RonMariner
May 23, 2023, 4:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,665
Quoted from diehardmariner
That roar for the equaliser....!

So many sliding doors moments in that game.  What wasn't shown in that clip was the foul on Clifton that resulted in the free-kick for the equaliser.  Referee could easily have just waved it away and that was it.  Could also have given a penalty too, something we had struggled with all season.

Crocombe is more composed in that scramble and actually takes a shot, which doesn't go in.  Waterfall goes a mili-second earlier for JMD's second free-kick, Mani too for the knockdown.  Or the Ref thinks Mani's handled it...

The drama of that was something I didn't think would ever be repeated, only to do it 6 days later in North Wales.  By the time the final came round it was a bit of a damp squib in comparison, dare I say it felt a foregone conclusion even though Solihull finished higher than us and had done the double over us.

Never say never, but I'm pretty confident that I'll never experience anything like that again as a Town fan.

Can't see many fans of any club experiencing anything like that fortnight.

I was watching the Southampton game again last week (well, why not!!) and at one point the commentator mentions the  Wrexham game to McCoist and says 'surely one of the games of the decade.'  McCoist agrees and says ' Yes. I remember it well'.  That playoff campaign was so remarkable that it's not only us that will remember it.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 48
buckstown
May 23, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I still can't quite believe we played Solihull on June 5th, celebrated, boys went on holiday, did pre-season, signed new players and kicked off on July 30th
Makes this season seem all the more remarkable on reflection
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A year ago today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.