Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...Mansfield   (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 118 Guests

Just Back...Mansfield   (merged)

This thread currently has 3,701 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GtfcGarner
March 22, 2023, 10:53pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,785
Gold Stars: 26
Very positive performance first half felt like we could have had 4 or 5. After the break felt like we tired a little and didn’t come out with the same gusto but what an entertaining 0-0. Special shout-out to Waterfall and Lloyd tonight who I thought was our standout performers and I’d go try and sign the latter permanently in the summer.

We are identifying the nucleus of the squad we need to keep in the summer with a few tweaks and additions I think we can be right up there in the mix next year.

Crowd was absolutely brilliant aswell, looking forward to Saturday already. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
March 22, 2023, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Excellent first half, unusual attacking line up with Taylor Lloyd and Mcatee which should have paid dividends but somehow they kept us out/we failed to score.
Second half was always going to be a different kettle of fish and their tweaks and extra push and our constant habit of just passing straight back to them gave us no foothold.  
They still really only threatened from set pieces but Waterfall very lucky to not repeat his sin of trying to be Beckenbaher when carrying the ball out.
No lack of endeavour but summer and January window coming back to haunt us, no guile in the middle, no pace out wide and no genuine goal scorer.
Great turn out, good voice and kept their fans very quiet.

UTM

Please merge threads

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Ashby mariner
March 22, 2023, 11:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Just walked in. Brilliant first half. Second half we never had many opportunities. A good point overall to a playoff chasing team. Unreal atmosphere better than at Brighton, roll on Bradford away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
March 22, 2023, 11:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Should have been at least 2 up by half time, then we run out of steam and they come back into it. A good night with a great atmosphere, felt good to be back at a league 2 ground after Sunday, almost forgot, Ref was awful. UTM

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
thornemariner
March 23, 2023, 12:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +654
Gold Stars: 22
I received a text from a Mansfield supporter at half-time and he reckoned we should have been six up.

Great performance in the first half but Mansfield had the better of the second.

Tremendous atmosphere. It only went a little quiet in the last ten minutes but what a racket!

I really enjoyed that game. It was entertaining for a goalless draw. I've become friends with quite a few Stags fans over the last few years and had the benefit of their company before the game.

Disappointed that they don't do programmes but I did get plenty of team sheets if anyone is a collector and wants one. Free of course. I've passed a few on already.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Limerick Mariner
March 23, 2023, 12:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,685
Gold Stars: 136
Should have been at least 2 up by half time, then we run out of steam and they come back into it. A good night with a great atmosphere, felt good to be back at a league 2 ground after Sunday, almost forgot, Ref was awful. UTM

Yes - enjoyable. Lloyd splendid effort again. Liked how we set up, no reason why we shouldn’t carry on with that shape on Saturday, with Harry in for Gav and maybe Hunt for Morris.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
aldi_01
March 23, 2023, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Ashby mariner
Just walked in. Brilliant first half. Second half we never had many opportunities. A good point overall to a playoff chasing team. Unreal atmosphere better than at Brighton, roll on Bradford away.

Most atmospheres will be better than Brighton, that was all day out type stuff and tourists…

I think it’s a great point, I’ve never felt we’ve been in the playoff race but taking points from playoff teams stands puts us in a great place moving forward into next season, good performance too after a kicking on Sunday. Cracking bouncebackability to some extent…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
gtfc_chris
March 23, 2023, 7:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,462
Gold Stars: 114
Really enjoyed the first half, thought we were the better of the two teams and had some really good chances to score and will no doubt feel a bit disappointed that we didn't.

Second half swung a bit and Mansfield definitely dominated the second half and gave us little really to get excited about but I also thought we contributed to that ourselves with some really poor passing and lapses in concentration at times.

The ref was awful in the second half, which was strange because I thought he was half decent in the first. Not sure what happened at HT but he seemed adamant that he wasn't going to give Town anything if he could help it in the 2nd half.

In honesty, after the exertions at the weekend, playing away from home against a team just outside play-offs with real sights to be in them I think many would have taken a point before the game. Aside from the frustration of the dip in performance in the second half I wasn't disappointed with the game and as others have said already, for a 0-0 it wasn't as drab an affair as the scoreline might suggest.

Not sure about keeping their fans quiet though. Granted I was right over the other side but you could hear them for most of the game. You could also hear Town fans right throughout the game too so I imagine if you were right in the thick of that you wouldn't have heard the home lot. At L2 level that's probably the best I've seen from home fans but I must confess my away days this season don't stretch past double digits yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
Spurn boy
March 23, 2023, 8:24am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,211
Gold Stars: 26
Excellent first half performance and should have gone in at half time at least 3 goals up, I thought our front line of Taylor,Lloyd and JM linked well and the chip/shot from JM inside the box was class and so unlucky to come back off the post and nice to see Waterfall getting on to a corner with his head and producing a good save from their keeper although his later effort from inside the 6 yard box with his left foot was something for him to forget. 2nd half just drifted by although Holohan did not help our situation with some poor passing and surprised he wasn’t replaced by Hunt. MoM for me was Smith he didn’t do much wrong all game, would have taken a point before kick off but felt like dropped 2 points after.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
jamesgtfc
March 23, 2023, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
It was a very entertaining game, we have to take our chances though. It never felt like Mansfield would score, even when they were the better team in the second half, but they clearly regrouped at half time to deal with the threat we were causing them.

A lot of positives to take from that, the front 3 of McAtee, Taylor and Lloyd worked well together, a more mobile version of Taylor so everyone can chase a through ball would make that front 3 even better. I want to see Lloyd signed up in the summer.

Maher has a decent throw on him but it is always won by the defender, it's not going to cause the mayhem that Cropper causes with his but we need to work on a way of getting Maher's throw ins to work because it currently feels like we are dragging him out of position unnecessarily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...Mansfield   (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.