Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of the FA Cup run (for the players)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 335 Guests

Legacy of the FA Cup run (for the players)

This thread currently has 1,521 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 21, 2023, 7:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,134
Gold Stars: 265
Have always wanted to know whether players improve as a result of things like Harry being in the Wales Under 21 team, or our players h playing 4 games in quite short succession against top opposition.
And if so, how?

Wonder if it might be more on the mental/confidence side? Whether their concentration levels are improved or if they pick up little techniques or skills from being up against these top pros?

PS should also add that Maher & Efete ,in particular, did really well on Sunday, given this is their first season in the F.L.

PPS thought we also saw Glennon at his very best against Brighton - he was my standout Town player on the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2023, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
I agree re Glennon I was close to the pitch on the LHS and you could see how hard he was concentrating.

In terms of legacy for the players I hope they’ve had a decent bonus pot on this as they deserve it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Heisenberg
March 21, 2023, 9:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,803
Gold Stars: 89
Glennon absolutely bust a gut on Sunday. He tried to get down the wing and you could see he was giving it his all, and was gutted when a delivery went into the keeper’s arms. He can be proud of his shift, but it’ll still be hurting them all. I remember school games when my team were outplayed and it makes you feel useless, but they can bounce back and win tomorrow. There’s only a handful of L2 teams who are genuinely better than us, I honestly believe that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
aldi_01
March 22, 2023, 6:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I thought Glennon played really well, even more so when you look at Khans display, which to be honest was pretty non existent.

Smith and Efete played well and both looked calm when in possession. Naturally, Clifton battled hard and although I was disappointed with Mcatees attitude, he did carve out a couple of chances.

Green seemed out of his depth, not a criticism of him personally but probably an example of why players with his style don’t really feature at the highest level anymore, they just played around him. Same for Maher, I know plenty like him but for me I don’t see anything more than a league 2 player, which is fine, we know Hurst will get the best out of him and who knows, he may improve…I’m not convinced he’ll be a mainstay next season though.

Legacy wise, for the players they’ll remember the run. Nobody was awful at any point and they’ll be remembered fondly by the fans. I’d imagine plenty learned a lot from Brighton players, similarly I’d imagine the club took away some valid experience and knowledge of operating a club.

I guess time will tell if that legacy translates into further success…a competitive end to the season could set us up nicely for next season though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
forza ivano
March 22, 2023, 10:15am

Exile
I think Maher has improved since he's been here, and I think he will continue to improve.

The question I really want answered, and it probably needs an ex pro, is whether Hurst will see improvements in our players as a result of playing against 4 really top sides this season? Will they, and what will they, have learnt from the experience?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Son of Cod
March 22, 2023, 10:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Glennon was one of our best players against Southampton too, said at the time it was his best defensive performance in a Town shirt. I think he's struggled at times to hit the heights of what we saw in his loan spell under Holloway but we're now seeing more consistency from him and I think he'll be a key player next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
MarinerRob
March 22, 2023, 7:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from forza ivano
Will they, and what will they, have learnt from the experience?

I think just being on the same field with better players will help them to improve, even without realising it.

I think back to when I use to go kart racing. I used to race regularly at club meetings where there may be 20-24 in a race and I was lucky enough to race in 'front of the middle' (5th to 8th) reasonably OK. At the first corner you would find another 6-8 karts really challenging for the lead. Great fun.

I entered the Super One series (the national championship). This attracted drivers from all over the country and there were about 30 in each heat (race). And at the start, instead of 6-8 karts challenging for the lead there were about 24. I quickly went down the field to start with. But over the race I would get back up to about 16th or thereabout. I went to two Super One rounds.

However, when I went back to my club meeting I found myself on pole position for two months running. Normally I might be 3rd or 4th at a good meeting. I can only assume that racing with drivers who were massively better than me helped me to find something extra. I never forgot that.

Hopefully, something similar may happen with the Town players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
forza ivano
March 22, 2023, 8:37pm

Exile
Quoted from MarinerRob

I think just being on the same field with better players will help them to improve, even without realising it.

I think back to when I use to go kart racing. I used to race regularly at club meetings where there may be 20-24 in a race and I was lucky enough to race in 'front of the middle' (5th to 8th) reasonably OK. At the first corner you would find another 6-8 karts really challenging for the lead. Great fun.

I entered the Super One series (the national championship). This attracted drivers from all over the country and there were about 30 in each heat (race). And at the start, instead of 6-8 karts challenging for the lead there were about 24. I quickly went down the field to start with. But over the race I would get back up to about 16th or thereabout. I went to two Super One rounds.

However, when I went back to my club meeting I found myself on pole position for two months running. Normally I might be 3rd or 4th at a good meeting. I can only assume that racing with drivers who were massively better than me helped me to find something extra. I never forgot that.

very interesting. My wife's son was a pro at Wycombe till he was 16, but was  a better cricketer. said this to him and he said he played in a cricket pro/am 20-20 last summer. Was really hard work but his team eventually won the final. He went back to his club and suddenly felt incredibly confident in himself and playe some of his best cricket in recent years.

watching holohan, smith, maher and glennon tonight then that might be the legacy - they seem super confident
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
OddShapedBalls
March 23, 2023, 2:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,182
Gold Stars: 39
It's the Roger Bannister thing isn't it?  Nobody ever ran a 4 minute mile ad didn't think it was possible, he then went and did exactly that and within the year 18 more people had done it too because they'd seen him do it and now believed.

Apply that to town and footy, if you're only up against conference and now league 2 players that's the level you'll see day in day out as your reality.  Going up against James Ward-Prowse then Ciacedo etc gives you a new reality to strive for.   I think we saw that in the Mansfield game - the back 3 were very comfortable playing the ball to each other (like Brighton's were) and also saw Smith and Maher both come forward into midfield confidently a few times (again like Brighton's defenders).  It can't be a coincidence that when fresh we put together a blistering display of attacking football first half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
grimps
March 23, 2023, 5:31pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from MarinerRob

It’s the same when I used to play golf , when I played with better players I seemed to play a bit better .
To be fair I was still usless but I did improve my scores a bit
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of the FA Cup run (for the players)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.