3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
February 8, 2023, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Well, we’ve started 16 different players in the last three games, and all have been outstanding. How the hell do you pick 11 from the following?

Crocombe
Efete
Waterfall
Maher
Smith
Amos
Glennon
Emmanuel
Clifton
Holohan
Hunt
Green
Morris
McAtee
Lloyd
Orsi

Somehow, you have to lose at least 5. I believe these are called nice problems, but problems nonetheless…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
February 8, 2023, 11:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Harsh as it sounds, I'd go back to the team from Saturday. You can't leave Emmanuel out and Lloyd managed to work with McAtee to bring about his best performance of the season. Seems so harsh on Smith and particularly Danilo.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 11:02am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
That is one hell of a match day squad for L2!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Mariner93er
February 8, 2023, 11:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Mariner_09
Harsh as it sounds, I'd go back to the team from Saturday. You can't leave Emmanuel out and Lloyd managed to work with McAtee to bring about his best performance of the season. Seems so harsh on Smith and particularly Danilo.

Agreed. The same team again would be too negative for a league 2 game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our Luton lineup at Southampton. Almost like we have a league 2 lineup and a cup lineup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
RonMariner
February 8, 2023, 11:05am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,008
Gold Stars: 216
I'm trying to think when we last had a squad with this depth. Better than 2016 isn't it? Which takes us back to early 2000's? Maybe the Slade squad that made the 2006 playoffs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Mariner_09
February 8, 2023, 11:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Mariner93er

Agreed. The same team again would be too negative for a league 2 game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our Luton lineup at Southampton. Almost like we have a league 2 lineup and a cup lineup.

I wonder if he will judge McAtee too much of a luxury against a PL side? I bet Emmanuel plays against Soton though.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
Grantham_Mariner
February 8, 2023, 11:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Poojah
Well, we’ve started 16 different players in the last three games, and all have been outstanding. How the hell do you pick 11 from the following?

Crocombe
Efete
Waterfall
Maher
Smith
Amos
Glennon
Emmanuel
Clifton
Holohan
Hunt
Green
Morris
McAtee
Lloyd
Orsi

Somehow, you have to lose at least 5. I believe these are called nice problems, but problems nonetheless…

Scannell, Pearson & Khori

Plus

Khan
Taylor
&
Cropper

to return from injury as well

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
gtfc_chris
February 8, 2023, 11:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 110
GK - Crocombe
DC - Smith
DC - Waterfall
DC - Maher
RWB - Emmanuel
LWB - Amos
CM - Clifton
CM - Hunt
CM/AMC - Holohan
ST - Orsi
ST - Lloyd

Sub 1 - Efete
Sub 2 - Glennon
Sub 3 - Morris
Sub 4 - Green (if fit) / Dickson-Peters
Sub 5 - McAtee
Sub 6 - Scannell
Sub 7 - O'Neill

Hard to pick but I think this would be my pick. Morris unlucky to be missing out, as is Green but with him looking like he took a knock I'm leaving him out. Much as we know McAtee can be a talent, I don't think he's hit the heights of last season and often looks like he's playing to his own tune. I think for this one he comes on if we need that more risky approach to grab a goal. Also, granted Lloyd is also on loan too but we need to plan for the next season. If Lloyd can perform and is a possible permanent signing in the summer then makes sense to try and learn/prove this during the season.

As you say, nice problem to have!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Son of Cod
February 8, 2023, 11:22am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Tough selection. The key issues for me are...

Orsi or Lloyd?
2 of Hunt, Morris, Green (if fit) or Gav?
Maher, Smith or Efete?

I'd maybe go with this but we've looked so good over the last few matches that any combo of those 16 in Poojah's opening post will do...

GK: Crocombe
RWB: Emmanuel
CB: Smith
CB: Waterfall
CB: Maher
LWB: Amos
CM: Morris
CM: Hunt
CM: Clifton
FWD: McAtee
FWD: Orsi
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
diehardmariner
February 8, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 518
Don't think I've got the brain power to pick the XI for Saturday, too many options.  

But I'd expect something like a return to the Crewe side, as others have stated the sides for the Luton games aren't ones we would get away with in the league.  Different prospect altogether.  

Orsi ran himself into the ground, which may make Hurst's decision a little easier.  Lloyd and McAtee linked up so well so keen to see them get another outing together.  Efete was brilliant last night but as was the pairing of him and Emmanuel down that right, that then leaves one of the back 3 to drop out.

Absolutely no idea in midfield.  Clifton doesn't get dropped.  But then Green, Holohan, Hunt and Morris have all performed excellently of late with only two other slots to fill.

Other than Clifton, I think the only nailed on starter is Crocombe.  Perhaps Waterfall as your captain too.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team vs Colchester

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.