Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 120 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,003 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner tommy
August 9, 2022, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
I don’t know where to start really, we absolutely took them apart from the first minute, Crewe never had a look in, the system we played just worked, the substitutions were also good.
Four cracking goals that were all well worked and two good penalty shouts turned away. This was a superb performance against a side that’s started the season well.
I’ve got to say that all our new signings have been great, can’t wait for the cup draw tomorrow.
One more point of interest, I don’t recall them having any shots on target.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
August 9, 2022, 10:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 125
Agree with above . looked very good . Never saw or heared a drone and no one was mentioning it around me ,, Just thought they went to the dug outs for a drink
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
NorthLondonMariner
August 9, 2022, 10:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
I don’t know where to start really, we absolutely took them apart from the first minute, Crewe never had a look in, the system we played just worked, the substitutions were also good.
Four cracking goals that were all well worked and two good penalty shouts turned away. This was a superb performance against a side that’s started the season well.
I’ve got to say that all our new signings have been great, can’t wait for the cup draw tomorrow.
One more point of interest,
Quoted from mariner tommy
I don’t recall them having any shots on target.

The BBC says the same. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62388013

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
Tommy
August 9, 2022, 10:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
Really good game and a strong Town performance.

Played 4141 but as ever, the formation isn't the be all and end all, it's how you play the formation that counts. It was an aggressive 4141. Morris sat deep in front of the back 4 but the 4 in midfield ahead of him were all on the front foot, pressed well and got forward to get support around Pepple. In the past we've allowed a lone striker to get isolated by midfielders playing too deep or not getting up in support of the striker enough. But tonight Holohan and perhaps more surprisingly Green played quite high up and were adventurous with their runs. Wearne was good on the right and Glennon worked really hard on the left.

The Crewe keeper was shocking on crosses which helped, but we controlled the game well, even when we didn't have the ball I thought we controlled it and forced Crewe into going long. Played some really tidy football and confidence clearly grew after getting the goals in the first half.

Ref was very poor.

I thought Pepple showed enough to suggest he's got something about him and will offer us something.

Green was absolutely excellent in this slightly higher role. There was one moment off the ball which many may have missed - think it was at a Crewe throw-in - when one of their players tried to run past him or near him, and Green just stood his ground and checked the guy who hit thr deck and must have felt like he'd run into a brick wall.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
Hagrid
August 9, 2022, 10:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,933
Gold Stars: 505
Really enjoyable against a poor- albeit changed- crewe side

Wearne impressed me again. Smith at CB is outstanding.

I also saw Les Brechin wearing jeans and a town shirt over a jumper. Les. What you doing man, its 25 degrees

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
monkeyboy
August 9, 2022, 10:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Morris and green outstanding tonight. Look they are gonna be a great pairing. Green seemed to be everywhere and Morris touch was class.
Not a lot for pepple to go at but he’ll it up well but looks like he will need a few games to get match fit.

First yellow was a joke as was a cracking challenge and Amos should never have been booked.
Glennan looks a great improvement on Harry on that left side too.

Good performance with no real negatives barring the officials . What was that break? Drinks? Thought he was taking players off at that stage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
toontown
August 9, 2022, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,144
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Tommy
Really good game and a strong Town performance.

Played 4141 but as ever, the formation isn't the be all and end all, it's how you play the formation that counts. It was an aggressive 4141. Morris sat deep in front of the back 4 but the 4 in midfield ahead of him were all on the front foot, pressed well and got forward to get support around Pepple. In the past we've allowed a lone striker to get isolated by midfielders playing too deep or not getting up in support of the striker enough. But tonight Holohan and perhaps more surprisingly Green played quite high up and were adventurous with their runs. Wearne was good on the right and Glennon worked really hard on the left.

The Crewe keeper was shocking on crosses which helped, but we controlled the game well, even when we didn't have the ball I thought we controlled it and forced Crewe into going long. Played some really tidy football and confidence clearly grew after getting the goals in the first half.

Ref was very poor.

I thought Pepple showed enough to suggest he's got something about him and will offer us something.

Green was absolutely excellent in this slightly higher role. There was one moment off the ball which many may have missed - think it was at a Crewe throw-in - when one of their players tried to run past him or near him, and Green just stood his ground and checked the guy who hit thr deck and must have felt like he'd run into a brick wall.

Yeah I clocked that check from green, didn't move and the bloke just bounced off him lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
jamesgtfc
August 9, 2022, 10:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,807
Gold Stars: 187
Crewe were absolutely terrible. Greens goal was a great strike, Kalala-esque except the keeper was in a heap on the floor. He missed a great chance later in the first half too.

Smith was an absolute rock at the back, and put in a great last ditch tackle towards the end. Efete drove forward with intent and they struggled to handle his strength. I didn't think he looked out of place on the right wing and he almost set one up for Pepple with a low cross.

Pepple showed promise, looked good with his feet and looked to link play. Wearne's goal at the end was quality but that could have been 6 or 7-0 tonight, I'm sure Glennon scored direct from a corner but the ref seemed to let the keeper pick it out the net and carry on.

The refs performance can be summed up by the fact we won 4-0 and everyone thought he was dreadful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
TownSNAFU5
August 9, 2022, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
The BBC said 6-0 for shots on target.  Says everything really.  What a treat for the fans there tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
forza ivano
August 9, 2022, 10:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,108
Gold Stars: 265
and perhaps another £30 - £40,000 in the bank from gate receipts, which is always helpful
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.