Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood interview: debt to be cleared early
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 291 Guests

Stockwood interview: debt to be cleared early

This thread currently has 16,561 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
bax
August 3, 2022, 4:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from lukeo
Pardon my ignorance Bax but are you still a part of the trust in any way shape or form? You seem like you have the exact views and love for GTFC as the large majority of it. If you're not would you ever consider doing it again now the club has changed dramatically?

No, not a Trust member and have zero intentions of joining again or being part of it. Unfortunately still have a few scars from that time and I much prefer watching games as a fan rather than being involved - Operation Promotion is something I always look back on fondly but what happened after that, not so much! Plus I don't think Jason and Andrew need a supporter's Trust in the same way we needed one up to the takeover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 118
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2022, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from bax

No, not a Trust member and have zero intentions of joining again or being part of it. Unfortunately still have a few scars from that time and I much prefer watching games as a fan rather than being involved - Operation Promotion is something I always look back on fondly but what happened after that, not so much! Plus I don't think Jason and Andrew need a supporter's Trust in the same way we needed one up to the takeover.

Interesting observation, especially given the increased Trust involvement under the new owners.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 118
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2022, 6:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from bax

I'll never forget that night. It was embarrassing and I felt so sorry for Matt Dean who is an excellent journalist and didn't deserve what he got. I actually resigned as Trust chairman straight after that meeting because I didn't feel the Trust should align itself with the club. It was the polar opposite of what the Trust should have been. I got talked into staying on but ended up quitting not long after when it became clear too many Trust board members (in my very clear opinion) were closer to the club's beliefs at that time than mine and I didn't want any part of what was going on.

As I was sat next to JF I remember him writing stuff on his notebook (if I recollect he'd got a text or a message during the meeting saying Chris Clements was going out on loan and he'd written that down) and he also scribbled something related to Matt Dean and underlined it. I don't remember what it said, only that it was clear what happened was pre-meditated.

I got hauled into the boardroom a week or so after that fans' forum as I'd said JF had bullied Matt Dean which he took offence to. He tried (and failed) to make me watch the whole fans forum back to prove he hadn't done it - it was here he told me Operation Promotion was the worst thing that could have happened to the club because of the pressure it put on everyone. When I became Trust chair I was told by previous chairs that I wouldn't do it very long because no-one could work with JF. They weren't wrong.

Incidentally, I met Jason Stockwood just after the Play Off Final. He didn't know me from Adam but what a breath of fresh air, chatted to me and my partner for about 20 minutes and was the polar opposite to anyone I had encountered at the club previously. We truly are in safe hands now.

Your comment about too many Trust members being aligned to Fenty's way of thinking rather than your own is the very reason why I have been vehemently against the Trust on these pages and elsewhere for a very long time.

Their job was to represent the fans and you only had to be in Fenty's company for 10 minutes to know he was wholly unsuited to be the head honcho of Grimsby Town. I could see it, a lot of us could see it, business people who ever came across him could see it, yet the Trust failed in their duty to spill the beans about a man who was dragging the club's name through the mud, which culminated in that grotesque fans forum and the subsequent May debacle.

It seemed to me they were more concerned about their position (God knows why as Fenty just ignored them anyway) instead of telling the wider public we needed change and we needed it quickly.

It all ended happily but no thanks to the Trust.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 118
Croxton
August 3, 2022, 10:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31

Your comment about too many Trust members being aligned to Fenty's way of thinking rather than your own is the very reason why I have been vehemently against the Trust on these pages and elsewhere for a very long time.

Their job was to represent the fans and you only had to be in Fenty's company for 10 minutes to know he was wholly unsuited to be the head honcho of Grimsby Town. I could see it, a lot of us could see it, business people who ever came across him could see it, yet the Trust failed in their duty to spill the beans about a man who was dragging the club's name through the mud, which culminated in that grotesque fans forum and the subsequent May debacle.

It seemed to me they were more concerned about their position (God knows why as Fenty just ignored them anyway) instead of telling the wider public we needed change and we needed it quickly.

It all ended happily but no thanks to the Trust.

Not quite true is it? Would you like to apologise to the more recently elected board members for your slur?

I seem to recollect that 1878 had multiple meetings with the Trust in the final days of Fenty. Do we have to rehearse all the threads about the Trust's functions, it's benefits, or otherwise, as a GTFC board member ? Do you not think there might have been some back channel communications going on or do you think Fenty's downfall was all brought about during a Lloyd Griffith/ Tondeur/ Telewag journo love in at Dock's Beers?

I have no axe to grind for any Trust Board member but the dealings I have had with Barralad , Kristine, Dave Roberts, Big Chris et al have been prompt and professional.

Which of these have offended you?

https://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/board/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 118
jamesgtfc
August 3, 2022, 10:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
It's sad to see this apathy towards the Trust. The good times are when the membership needs building so it's strong if bad times ever come again and due to a lack of people wanting to work with Fenty, sympathisers continued to get elected on the basis of having no opposition.

The Trust board seems much better now and they have more of a licence to get on with things. Without them, £24k and a donation from Vanarama would not have been raised in response to the ridiculous pricing and location of the play-off final.

If we let it die and try revive it again if we fall on troublesome times, it's never going to be strong is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 118
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2022, 11:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Croxton

Not quite true is it? Would you like to apologise to the more recently elected board members for your slur?

I seem to recollect that 1878 had multiple meetings with the Trust in the final days of Fenty. Do we have to rehearse all the threads about the Trust's functions, it's benefits, or otherwise, as a GTFC board member ? Do you not think there might have been some back channel communications going on or do you think Fenty's downfall was all brought about during a Lloyd Griffith/ Tondeur/ Telewag journo love in at Dock's Beers?

I have no axe to grind for any Trust Board member but the dealings I have had with Barralad , Kristine, Dave Roberts, Big Chris et al have been prompt and professional.

Which of these have offended you?

https://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/board/

It was very true in my opinion, an opinion I have aired many times and I am not going to change my mind. The Trust as a collective should have publically expressed no confidence in the owner instead of giving Fenty a fig leaf of respectability.  He took them and the wider fan base for fools.

How anybody could be daft enough to dance for years to Fenty's tune is a mystery. They weren't paid employees who had to tow the line.

I applaud them in their voluntary efforts to at least try to help the club, but faced with Fenty and his sidekicks they should have put the fans in the picture well before May came on the scene. I guess Bax was the only one to resign even after the most embarrassing and comically Partridge esq.fans forum with board members shouting at our own paying fans and trying to sully the reputation of a well respected radio journalist who was there to bring the event to our fans.

No one on the Trust board has offended me; they dont know me and I dont know them. I am talking as I have said before about the Trust as an organisation and a collective not individuals.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 118
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 4, 2022, 2:12am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +787
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from aldi_01
That night a part of the club died. The saddest thing was the people in charge didn’t and couldn’t see it.

Maybe you should have ended it there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 118
aldi_01
August 4, 2022, 8:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Maybe you should have ended it there!

Probably…

Touching on the trust, I think you have to look differently and realise that the trust then and the trust now are very different. 1878 believe in the trust and there’s a value to them. Their seat on the board isn’t tokenism anymore and I do believe they’re influential, hence my renewed membership.

However, under the old regime the trust was seemingly futile to some extent. Big Chris and Sav to name a couple tried, they really did but they could see that working with Fenty for the better of the club was impossible. I dare say the reason they weren’t so vocal about his inability to run the club after their exit was more out of fear of retribution from a man who has made threats to sue folk in the past. It’s simply not worth the hassle.

For me, there was a period where being on the trust board seemed to be enough for some, some kudos, whatever and deep down they knew their role was lacking any influence but they still felt like they were doing their bit.

I don’t believe a vote of no confidence wouldn’t achieved anything sadly, Fenty was a bully with a board made up of sycophants and no marks. I believe that the entire boardroom should’ve gone when 1878 took over, trust members included, but I do believe fresh faces were rightly elected and reassigned. After all, you need to be at the table to even get an idea of what is going on.

Operation promotion is one of the greatest successes of this club but once the owner/tyrant/despot/tax evader/majority shareholder/chairman/non chairman/ de facto chairman tells you quite publicly that it wasn’t then it must be flipping soul destroying, especially when you know folk put in their actual money in to the campaign, didn’t borrow it from elsewhere…

Perhaps the trust could look to rebranding to entice new members, to finally rid themselves of the image left behind? I dunno, but I do know they do some great stuff and they do work hard for the fans in particular.

When Fenty had them over a barrel and they seemingly caved without even a fight it left a bitter taste, one that lingers for some and that’s their right to still feel aggrieved.

Our supporters trust is valuable and their place on the board is clearly valued and important. I guess we’re in a different position as a club, our trust aren’t designed to take on the ownership, to save the club, but work collaboratively to ensure the way for everyone.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe the trust wild ever have been able to obtain the club from Fenty’s grasp or could they have taken that role.

One suggestion to shift the view of the trust could be for them to run an away members club perhaps?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 118
GrimPol
August 4, 2022, 9:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 68
For a man that "left the building" some time ago JF is still haunting some on this forum.
They're the ones who had such foresight that they knew JF would mess it up before he even joined.
And the ones who are self-flagellating with cat o nine tails and they should have done this or that whilst they could,
Just stop it, you're making my pixels run on my screen.

Now this will start a pile on with oodles of Red X's (Must find out what they actually mean. I'll pretend that they are signes of affection for now  
It could be much much worse, but it wasn't.  Not that long ago people were sighing and pointing to Scunthorpe as a model we should follow. Then there's Macclesfield, Oldham, Bury, Rushden & D, Chester, Aldershot remember them ???
So yes JF ran the management side bizarrely, with more U-turns than the government,  but the financial side was good. Yes, I know you just choked on your coffee, but the fact that the club is paying off its debt earlier means it was a low-debt club. You can't have it both ways.
And there are the media (Poor old Matt Dean and Radio Humberside). They are all over Grimsby now but wait untill we have a few bad runs, and just when you need them most, the knives will be out. Let's not forget RH's  roll in one of our manager's demise. Trust the media? As much as I trust some on this site giving PH a bad time Feb/Mar/April. Short memories eh?

We have a club, a ground, a manager, a squad, a few points wouldn't go amiss, and you are argueing about ancient history.
ATAW  UTM  PHBAWA  SWWF   etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 118
Croxton
August 4, 2022, 9:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31

It was very true in my opinion, an opinion I have aired many times and I am not going to change my mind. The Trust as a collective should have publically expressed no confidence in the owner instead of giving Fenty a fig leaf of respectability.  He took them and the wider fan base for fools.

How anybody could be daft enough to dance for years to Fenty's tune is a mystery. They weren't paid employees who had to tow the line.

I applaud them in their voluntary efforts to at least try to help the club, but faced with Fenty and his sidekicks they should have put the fans in the picture well before May came on the scene. I guess Bax was the only one to resign even after the most embarrassing and comically Partridge esq.fans forum with board members shouting at our own paying fans and trying to sully the reputation of a well respected radio journalist who was there to bring the event to our fans.

No one on the Trust board has offended me; they dont know me and I dont know them. I am talking as I have said before about the Trust as an organisation and a collective not individuals.

Feel free to 'other' the Trust Board when Bax resigned but references to 'them' and collective infers that you cling to past prejudices rather easily. How about living in the present a little more whilst being informed about the past rather than the other way round? Aldi's post expresses that balance very well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 118
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood interview: debt to be cleared early

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.