Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 343 Guests

McAtee gone….

This thread currently has 24,000 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
August 2, 2022, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from 123614
So, one thing I don't understand is why clubs in the lower Leagues never disclose the transfer fee!

It's most clubs, it's just that at the top level the media get hold of it and speculate/make up figures/pay someone inside to reveal the details.

The reason for the undisclosed nature is to protect the clubs involved, namely the selling club.  If it's common knowledge that we've got £300k in the bank from the sale of McAtee and then offer Solihull £150k for Dallas, they know we've got more to play with.

Equally so if Luton try and sign a striker from League Two next summer and offer £200k, the selling club can reference the recent history for such a deal.  

I don't know how effective this is as I imagine players and agents, indeed managers too, will all talk and within the game it'll be common knowledge.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 163
Maringer
August 2, 2022, 10:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,488
Gold Stars: 185
A good deal all round, really.

We get some money but keep the player so don't need to look for an immediate replacement. McAtee gets a pay rise, doesn't have to spend time bedding in at a new club with the season already started, is guaranteed plenty of game time and gets the chance to prove his worth in League Football (fitness allowing). Luton get a good young prospect, playing regularly and the risk of his shoulder injury being an issue is shifted across to us until the summer.

The only way we could lose out here is if he gets injured and we're still committed to paying most of his wages, but that is always a risk in any case.

If he has a blinder of a season and helps us win promotion, we might have lost out on more transfer money, but we aren't really going to complain, are we?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 163
August 2, 2022, 10:43am
Guest User
Thanks for the explanation.
Reply: 32 - 163
RichMariner
August 2, 2022, 10:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Great bit of business. Surprised Luton agreed to loan him back - so effectively what they’ve paid for him is what it costs to ‘reserve’ a player to avoid a scramble for his signature next summer.

Makes you wonder if there was a pre-existing relationship between our owners and Luton. Debbie and her team have been talking extensively to lots of other clubs since they took over.

Speculating, of course, but having and maintaining good relationships literally pays off sometimes. This deal is a world away from the relationship we had with Peterborough over the transfer of Bennett way back when, for example.

Given McAtee is a relatively young player I notice there’s no mention of a sell-on clause. Would be good to know if that was part of the deal.

One excellent season at Luton in 23/24 and he could get a big money move to the Prem.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 33 - 163
Rodley Mariner
August 2, 2022, 10:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Great deal for us but the elephant in the room is his shoulder isn't it? I can't believe we can just have him all season and Luton have said not to worry about the op he apparently needs until then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 163
Mariner_09
August 2, 2022, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
This is an absolute win-win. We were only ever going to keep him until next summer anyway, we’d have then been in the lap of the Gods with a tribunal.

Furthermore, it’s no guarantee he would reproduce his form from the end of last season this season. That shoulder injury could flare up and leave us with a massive injury lay off, he could lose form. By this, we’ve cashed in and protected ourselves against any kind of imponderable like that.

If we hadn’t sold him now, we’d have been forced to sell in January when we’d likely have got less cash and never got a loan back clause as part of any deal, cos you’d likely be selling to someone desperate who wants him there and then.

Overall, I can’t see any fault with this deal. Just hope he maintains his form from the end of last season and his legacy is back to back promotions with us!!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 163
Mayaman
August 2, 2022, 10:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
One more promotion please John - Up the McAttee!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 163
Mendonca1995
August 2, 2022, 10:53am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from fishcake63
Now go spend it on dallas or a striker of that calibre

Fully agree I think we will show plenty of intent from the sale even though he’s back with us etc Taylor injury prone orsi unknown would love to see us go and get 2 quality forwards will see what happens but it’s a great move for the lad and he fully deserves it definetly no hard feeling from me he’s some talent 👏

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 163
jamesgtfc
August 2, 2022, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer
A good deal all round, really.

We get some money but keep the player so don't need to look for an immediate replacement. McAtee gets a pay rise, doesn't have to spend time bedding in at a new club with the season already started, is guaranteed plenty of game time and gets the chance to prove his worth in League Football (fitness allowing). Luton get a good young prospect, playing regularly and the risk of his shoulder injury being an issue is shifted across to us until the summer.

The only way we could lose out here is if he gets injured and we're still committed to paying most of his wages, but that is always a risk in any case.

If he has a blinder of a season and helps us win promotion, we might have lost out on more transfer money, but we aren't really going to complain, are we?

If he had a blinder of a season and we got promoted, he would have gone for pittance at tribunal. The model for us has to be signing players like McAtee with a point to prove and a desire to play higher.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 163
Poojah
August 2, 2022, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's most clubs, it's just that at the top level the media get hold of it and speculate/make up figures/pay someone inside to reveal the details.

The reason for the undisclosed nature is to protect the clubs involved, namely the selling club.  If it's common knowledge that we've got £300k in the bank from the sale of McAtee and then offer Solihull £150k for Dallas, they know we've got more to play with.

Equally so if Luton try and sign a striker from League Two next summer and offer £200k, the selling club can reference the recent history for such a deal.  

I don't know how effective this is as I imagine players and agents, indeed managers too, will all talk and within the game it'll be common knowledge.

Yep. Ultimately it will all come out in the club accounts in time, but at a point when it won’t hinder our negotiations for other players.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 163
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.