Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 268 Guests

McAtee gone….

This thread currently has 23,982 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
bax
August 3, 2022, 3:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from SteffiMariner

I struggle to believe that Championship players are on £60K a week.

Mitrovic was on £100k a week last season at Fulham.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-championship-record-historic-wage-25394760
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 163
Numanoid
August 3, 2022, 3:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
It's all about the money but doubt he will get the adulation there as he did here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 163
Rick12
August 3, 2022, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Marinerdan

Some will be hangovers from Premier League relegation too. I bet someone like Mitovic or Joe Allen will still be on huge salaries.

Yes your right. What's sad as well is some of these ex football professionals who have had success in the game eg played championship and premiership struggle when their career is over. Not just the money side but the discipline and company,unity that comes with the territory. Some end up depressed and have been  in a bad way.  I know the FA are trying to do more for players mental health as well which is good to see though.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 163
rancido
August 3, 2022, 4:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from BrMarin
Why is it not allowed to be disappointed about this? We are losing our best player to only  a moderately bigger club. He was kissing the badge and at the same time wanting to run down his contract and get out of here. Is that not disappointing? That's modern day football for you...

I struggle to see what the size of the club has to do with this. Luton are ambitious, are prepared to pay a better salary than us and have a great location not too far from the capital.  Once he plays for them in the Championship he will get more attention at a higher level. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that if he develops he could attract the attention of a Premiersh*t team and be transferred for a 7 figure sum.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 163
Rodley Mariner
August 3, 2022, 4:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Good luck paying your mortgage with adulation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 163
BrMarin
August 3, 2022, 4:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Championship footballers are mostly on 10k a week plus. If you wouldn’t want to minimum quadruple your salary, you’re lying.

I read that the average at Luton is 6k but I understand your point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 163
BrMarin
August 3, 2022, 4:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +100
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from rancido

I struggle to see what the size of the club has to do with this. Luton are ambitious, are prepared to pay a better salary than us and have a great location

Have you ever been to Luton? 😂

Also we don't know his wage, I'm guessing 6k or less. We also don't know whether we got a good deal because it's undisclosed. I'm guessing it is a satisfactory deal for us in the circumstances rather than a fantastic deal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 163
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2022, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Our 78 - 81 team - virtually the same team (plus Whymark) from Division 4 to Top 7 Division 2, (if there had been play-offs we'd have missed out on GD), would have been broken up long before we got to the high point with the current disparities in income. Waters, Drinkell, Ford, K Moore, would all have been well in demand. The extra buying power in those days mainly came from turnstile revenue; we averaged 10k in 1980, the Div 2 average was only 13k, so not much difference really, and small enough for us to compete with new contract offers as we rose through the leagues.

The Buckley team 89 to 92 would have been less in demand, because of the type of players Buckley went for - Diddy, perhaps, Cunnington and we lost Tillson to higher up. But players like Cockers were late developers so not like someone like Ford. Also the Div 2 crowds were only 10k then and we were at 6-7k average, so again not much difference.

You’re absolutely right, of course. For all the TV rights deals have put into football, the total skewing of the financial structure is abhorrent. Whilst I don’t agree with Gary Neville on many things, a total review is both necessary and overdue.
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 163
lew chaterleys lover
August 3, 2022, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from rancido

I struggle to see what the size of the club has to do with this. Luton are ambitious, are prepared to pay a better salary than us and have a great location not too far from the capital.  Once he plays for them in the Championship he will get more attention at a higher level. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that if he develops he could attract the attention of a Premiersh*t team and be transferred for a 7 figure sum.

The location had nothing to do with it. I agree with the rest though, it is ambition, Championship football and the money that goes with it and the chance eventually to reach the promised land of the Premier League and show his brother who's boss.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 163
jamesgtfc
August 3, 2022, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Players like Mitrovic have made a career out of scoring goals for fun in The Championship so it's no surprise he earns £100k a week, given the financial rewards of promotion to the Premier League.

McAtee has signed a deal until summer 2026 and I assume there are pay rises in that linked to appearances and promotion to the promised land. Keeping players here against their will isn't going to contribute to a good dressing room but this has to be about the bigger picture. Come here, impress and we won't stop you progressing.

Last year I recall Stockwood talking about us receiving multiple bids for Grist and Leicester wasn't the highest fee but it was important for Grist to decide what was best for him. Fast forward a year and it transpires Luton weren't the highest bid for McAtee but it's a deal that allowed everyone to win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 163
17 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.