Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 225 Guests

McAtee gone….

This thread currently has 23,978 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 3, 2022, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from BrMarin
Why is it not allowed to be disappointed about this? We are losing our best player to only  a moderately bigger club. He was kissing the badge and at the same time wanting to run down his contract and get out of here. Is that not disappointing? That's modern day football for you...

Championship footballers are mostly on 10k a week plus. If you wouldn’t want to minimum quadruple your salary, you’re lying.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 163
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 3, 2022, 1:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Quoted from BrMarin
Why is it not allowed to be disappointed about this? We are losing our best player to only  a moderately bigger club. He was kissing the badge and at the same time wanting to run down his contract and get out of here. Is that not disappointing? That's modern day football for you...

You can be disappointed...but don't be:

1. Luton finished 6th in the Championship last season - much higher than we have done in my 39 years of life. It's not like leaving for Northampton

2. Massive increase in wages for the player - at least quadrupled

3. If you're daft enough to believe all of the badge kissing stuff from most footballers then you are going to get hurt

4. Out of contract at the end of the season and the tribunal might not have given us much compensation

5. I once saw McAtee eating some pork souvlaki whilst straddling the Meridian Line - must be riddled with tapeworms by now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 163
Rick12
August 3, 2022, 2:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

2. Massive increase in wages for the player - at least quadrupled

And the bonuses wouldn't be bad either in the championship. Some of the top wage earners in the championship are on basic salarys on over 3 million a year as well.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 163
SteffiMariner
August 3, 2022, 3:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Rick12
And the bonuses wouldn't be bad either in the championship. Some of the top wage earners in the championship are on basic salarys on over 3 million a year as well.

I struggle to believe that Championship players are on £60K a week.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 163
Limerick Mariner
August 3, 2022, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,662
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Championship footballers are mostly on 10k a week plus. If you wouldn’t want to minimum quadruple your salary, you’re lying.

Our 78 - 81 team - virtually the same team (plus Whymark) from Division 4 to Top 7 Division 2, (if there had been play-offs we'd have missed out on GD), would have been broken up long before we got to the high point with the current disparities in income. Waters, Drinkell, Ford, K Moore, would all have been well in demand. The extra buying power in those days mainly came from turnstile revenue; we averaged 10k in 1980, the Div 2 average was only 13k, so not much difference really, and small enough for us to compete with new contract offers as we rose through the leagues.

The Buckley team 89 to 92 would have been less in demand, because of the type of players Buckley went for - Diddy, perhaps, Cunnington and we lost Tillson to higher up. But players like Cockers were late developers so not like someone like Ford. Also the Div 2 crowds were only 10k then and we were at 6-7k average, so again not much difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 163
sam gy
August 3, 2022, 3:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Why does a player kissing the badge automatically equal a lifetime contract with the club in some fans eyes?

Players are allowed to kiss the badge at times of jubilation (ie when they've scored a goal for us), and show that they love the club without wanting to be playing with us forever. It doesn't make them a mercenary if they eventually leave to a much better team.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 163
lukeo
August 3, 2022, 3:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,342
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from BrMarin

2 divisions above.
Atleast quadruple the money.
No person in their right mind would say no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 163
Rick12
August 3, 2022, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from SteffiMariner

I struggle to believe that Championship players are on £60K a week.

I think it's true though. I was talking to a lad who had played championship football and some of his teammates had been on really good bonuses following a decent month. Bear in mind the crowds they get at some championship games are really good and rival a fair few teams in the top of their respective leagues eg Spain for one. It surprised me as well when I read a while back in the daily Spanish sports football Marca newspaper not that long ago some  players were on roughly only £60- 70 ,000 yearly basic whereas the top earners in la Liga would of been earning so much more. The last time I read the average yearly basic wage at Real Madrid was roughly 10 million with the recently departed Gareth Bale close to 30 million basic on a 5 year deal. Different worlds.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 163
Marinerdan
August 3, 2022, 3:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Rick12
I think it's true though. I was talking to a lad who had played championship football and some of his teammates had been on really good bonuses following a decent month. Bear in mind the crowds they get at some championship games are really good and rival a fair few teams in the top of their respective leagues eg Spain for one. It surprised me as well when I read a while back in the daily Spanish sports football daily Marca not that long ago some players players were on roughly only £60- 70 ,000 yearly basic whereas the top earners would of been earning so much more. The last time I read the average yearly basic wage at Real Madrid was roughly 10 million with the recently departed Gareth Bale close to 30 million basic on a 5 year deal. Different worlds.

Some will be hangovers from Premier League relegation too. I bet someone like Mitovic or Joe Allen will still be on huge salaries.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 163
SteffiMariner
August 3, 2022, 3:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Rick12
I think it's true though. I was talking to a lad who had played championship football and some of his teammates had been on really good bonuses following a decent month. Bear in mind the crowds they get at some championship games are really good and rival a fair few teams in the top of their respective leagues eg Spain for one. It surprised me as well when I read a while back in the daily Spanish sports football Marca not that long ago some  players were on roughly only £60- 70 ,000 yearly basic whereas the top earners in la Liga would of been earning so much more. The last time I read the average yearly basic wage at Real Madrid was roughly 10 million with the recently departed Gareth Bale close to 30 million basic on a 5 year deal. Different worlds.

I appreciate this is last year, though these are the average salaries per club https://sqaf.club/how-much-do-championship-players-earn/      

struggle to believe that a player can earn £3M per year when the average for a player at Fulham (the highest) is £1M.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 163
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McAtee gone….

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.