Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ye Gods!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 189 Guests

Ye Gods!

This thread currently has 6,514 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 29, 2022, 9:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Hollowhead has a new book coming out in October, entitled (and I kid you not), "How to Be a Football Manager".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Southwark Mariner
July 29, 2022, 10:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
Surely with a preface from the writer of that bestseller "How to be a Non-Chairman"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
diehardmariner
July 29, 2022, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted Text
The funniest and most entertaining sports book you’ll read this year. Peter Crouch’s How to Be a Footballer but for managers.

Football management is like being a potato – you’re never too far from the sack and everyone is constantly chipping away at you. It’s not for the faint-hearted and unless you’ve got skin as thick as rhino and, more importantly, a wicked sense of humour, you’ve no chance of surviving.

Ian Holloway – aka ‘Ollie’ – has all the above and more besides. His press conferences are the stuff of legend. He’s been there, seen it and done it in his 40 years as player and manager, and has been entertaining football fans on and off the pitch for most of his life. He’s been head honcho at clubs in all four divisions in English football, experiencing everything from the giddy heights of taking Blackpool to the Premier League to fighting relegation from the Football League with Grimsby Town. There’s never been a dull moment.

In the joyful How to Be a Football Manager, Holloway weaves a fantastically rich tapestry of hilarious anecdotes to reveal what being the boss is really like. This is not a handbook to tell you when to play a Christmas tree formation or throw on a false nine – it’s about dealing with the ridiculous, fighting your corner and always having a comeback.

Sounds excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
Poojah
July 29, 2022, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
22 notes an’ all. Madness.

Anyway, I’m not sure he’ll be selling many after a torrent of 1 star reviews. Fill yer boots, lads…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw.....659086046&sr=8-6

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
diehardmariner
July 29, 2022, 10:15am
Vodka Drinker
For balance...

I read his first book long before he came to Town.  I thought it was an entertaining read and offered a decent insight into him as a person as much about his playing/managing career.

He definitely came across a bit 'me me me', but I think that's his personality anyway so didn't really expect anything else from it.  

This just seems like the case of bringing a book out for the sake of bringing a book out.  A bit like the ones that Harry Redknapp brings out every couple of years with anecdotes aplenty that the average armchair fan loves to read.  

As much as I think it sound excrement, I'll be mildly interested to see if he's done any reflection on his time at Town.  In the same week that Jason Stockwood got more national attention to his approach, his vision and how we as a club are presenting ourselves it would be interesting to see if Holloway mentions how he felt Stockwood was underhand in trying to speak to him whilst the takeover was in process...
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
HatTrickHero
July 29, 2022, 10:17am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +771
Gold Stars: 25
"An excellent book from someone who excels in his areas of expertise...talking a lot and darts. A must buy!"

Alex May - Business Entrepreneur
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
thornemariner
July 29, 2022, 10:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +596
Gold Stars: 22
I liked his first book which I read long before he was on our horizon. If it is like his page in Four Four Two magazine, I'll resist buying it and wait until it sells for a few quid at The Works.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
chaos33
July 29, 2022, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from HatTrickHero
"An excellent book from someone who excels in his areas of expertise...talking a lot and darts. A must buy!"

Alex May - Business Entrepreneur

😂

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
July 29, 2022, 10:36am
Guest User
Quoted from HatTrickHero

Alex May - Business Entrepreneur and crook, allegedly.

Reply: 8 - 37
diehardmariner
July 29, 2022, 10:40am
Vodka Drinker
It's not allegedly BAWB, it's a fact.

He's a convicted criminal, found guilty in 2014 and sentenced to six years in prison for mortgage fraud.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ye Gods!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.