Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 146 Guests

Hurst preseason interview

This thread currently has 8,623 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
July 6, 2022, 4:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from Posh Harry

My memory tells me we beat Barnsley at home to go top of the championship not cov away. Same day England beat Germany 5-1. In absolute cloud cuckoo land. Got stinking drunk and had a hangover the size of Brazil the next day and agreed to get a dog as long as the wife would just shut up and leave me alone.

I thought it was cov.
Reply: 40 - 55
Les Brechin
July 6, 2022, 4:38pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from 4055

I thought it was cov.

No, it was definitely Barnsley 1-0 at home when we went top.

Early ko to avoid a clash with the Germany England game.

England win 5-1 and Town top of what is now The Championship. Doesn't get much better than that!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1518498.stm

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
Maringer
July 6, 2022, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure we went top the following week after beating Coventry.

Oddly enough I went to visit some mates in Nottingham to watch the Germany 1 England 5 game and I can remember being stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway thinking I was going to miss kick-off but got there with about 30 seconds to spare! I have no recollection of the Barnsley game, although I'm sure I would have gone to it!

I was on holiday in Cornwall when 9/11 took place and seem to think I was envious that my friends who lived in Nottingham had been able to make it to the Coventry game to see us go top!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Rodley Mariner
July 6, 2022, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Abdul19
July 6, 2022, 6:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Burnley went back top on Sep 2 after winning at Bradford. They then beat Rotherham on the day we beat Cov (8th) so we'll have stayed 2nd.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
PoutonStepover
July 6, 2022, 6:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Abdul19
Burnley went back top on Sep 2 after winning at Bradford. They then beat Rotherham on the day we beat Cov (8th) so we'll have stayed 2nd.

We were definitely top of the league at some point during the Coventry game, I remember that much as clear as day.

🎶 we are top of the league, say we are top of the league 🎶
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
Tommy
July 6, 2022, 6:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah, I remember us singing "we are top of the league" at Coventry but because Bradford also won we didn't actually go top.

What a smash and grab that win at Cov was by the way. Barely made it out of our half all game and then gifted a win by their international GK who played in world cups.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
gtfc_chris
July 6, 2022, 9:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 110
Remember that day well, watched the England game at a mates house and biked back (was only 16 at the time) with England flag gritted between my teeth. Still have the print out of the Grimsby v Barnsley match report from BBC sport in the loft I think. Was a cool kid..... honest!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
Heswall Mariner
July 7, 2022, 1:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
For those of you who can't / unable to listen to the Interview, here is brief summary on the subjects.

On the new signings

Really happy to get the first five over the line. He is hoping for ANOTHER SIX players, dropping his priorities as a mobile strong goal scoring centre forward, a couple of midfielders (namely a replacement for Ben Fox) and a goalkeeper. he comments as a manager this is the most players that he's ever kept on and that he feels the club are in a good place. Next signing could be this week or next week, confirms he is in dialogue with a few players.

Erico Sousa

Out of all of the released players, Sousa was the closest to earning a new deal but was completely honest with him that he couldn't promise him regular football next season. Says Sousa was complimentary on his time at the club and said some really nice things, PH feels he will have lots of clubs after him and he will do well somewhere else.

John McAtee

Decided against an operation, initially told he needed one until looked into and thinks he can get bye without having it. No news on a new contract, no offers have been made for him although some have asked the question. Says John is happy at Town and he is focused on doing well for Town, feels the best place for him is working under him and Doigy as they know him well. Challenging him to go on and do well in League Two now.

Sean Scannell

PH has confirmed that Scannell has signed a new contract, feels people have been misunderstood from Scanz' recent interview in which he was talking about the potential ending to his career. Doesn't expect him back any time soon and maybe not until Christmas.

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

PH confirms that he was never considering offering Mani a contract. He said he scored some big goals and was popular in the group and with the fans, but feels he wasn't really the type of player who could have taken us forward.

Ollie Battersby

The club will be looking to loan Battersby out in order for him to get some better experience, but this will only happen when another goalkeeper is signed.

Andy Smith

PH confirms a conversation was had with Hull City, but at the moment they are wanting to take a look at him themselves.

James McKeown

It was a very tough decision to make personally, given his history with Macca. PH says he hopes he can get sorted and find somewhere where he can play for the final few years of his career.

Ben Fox

Confirms he was transparent with the club that he had other offers, says he would have like to have kept him but that's football.

Goalkeeping coachl

Confirms Sam Russell left due to a personal situation and  left on good terms. Refused to be drawn in to confirming Steve Croudson as the new GK coach, didn't accept or deny it but said people will soon see who it will be and should be announced by Saturday.

Pre-season opener at Clee

On the injury front, Efete and Wearne potentially doubtful for the game due to injuries at the end of last season. Says he likes Wearne's attitude, came in a week early to start his rehab. Both should be fit for the start of the season.

Season Tickets

Says its incredible, says the club feels different, the way the shirts are selling amazing, Says its a nice place to be, and the best time to be at Grimsby Town.

Gold star from me for that summary Gainsboro - thanks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
TonySmith
July 7, 2022, 1:19pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
It's noticeable that he wasn't asked about his thoughts on Max Wright. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say about Max's situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst preseason interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.