6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
July 6, 2022, 2:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Was initially slightly surprised at PH saying he wanted 6 more players; with the new strategy of getting in the right permanent signings that properly improve the squad I was thinking 3 maybe 4 more in, but on reflection 6 might be his ideal world and it actually might be 3/4 permanents and a couple of loans if we need them. If by the end of next week - so 2 weeks to ko, we have signed a top-quality CM and striker for this level (and not the crumbs from Stockport's table) I think we'd be happy to start the season with that wouldn't we?

A keeper and another CM to follow and then see what we need from a couple of loans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
diehardmariner
July 6, 2022, 2:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 537
Hurst always likes to keep a couple of spaces in his squad held back so he can play the loan market during the season.

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit bare so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other) plus Khouri and the first year pros.  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I've a feeling Khouri's in for a big year.  Very, very limited chance to impress as a first year pro but got a two-year deal off the back of it.  That's a statement of backing from the management team who clearly rate him highly, which could also lessen the desire for more than one addition in the middle now.

Up top I could see two more coming in comfortably.  Even if McAtee has Wearne has potential cover in that freeish role, it still only leaves Taylor with back up (I presume) from Orsi as the main striker role.  With seven subs to name and play with, you've got room for 2, maybe even 3, strikers on the bench.

Keeper, Centre-Mid, 2 Strikers.  Then I think it'll be a few loans if needed later on.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
GrimPol
July 6, 2022, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -656
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…

[img]https://imgur.com/a/GtNfbhw[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Limerick Mariner
July 6, 2022, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hurst always likes to keep a couple of spaces in his squad held back so he can play the loan market during the season.

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit thread bare to say the least so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other plus Khouri and the first year pros).  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I've a feeling Khouri's in for a big year.  Very, very limited chance to impress as a first year pro but got a two-year deal off the back of it.  That's a statement of backing from the management team who clearly rate him highly, which could also lessen the desire for more than one addition in the middle now.

Up top I could see two more coming in comfortably.  Even if McAtee has Wearne has potential cover in that freeish role, it still only leaves Taylor with back up (I presume) from Orsi as the main striker role.  With seven subs to name and play with, you've got room for 2, maybe even 3, strikers on the bench.

Keeper, Centre-Mid, 2 Strikers.  Then I think it'll be a few loans if needed later on.

Agree - that's why I think one big CM signing might suffice and then leave space for a loan if we get a couple of injuries.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Son of Cod
July 6, 2022, 2:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from diehardmariner

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit bare so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other) plus Khouri and the first year pros.  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I'd imagine we'll be bringing in at least 2 CMs. I think the question is whether we'll bring in 2 or 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
Chrisblor
July 6, 2022, 2:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,783
Gold Stars: 233
What's all this about leaving space for loan signings? Doesn't make sense - you can't make loan signings in the football league after the transfer window shuts. Short-term loans don't exist at this level and you can only sign loan players from window to window (emergency goalkeeper loans are the only exception). This is why Hurst keeps going on about making 6 or 7 more signings because we need enough players to cover for injuries because loans aren't an option anymore.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Posh Harry
July 6, 2022, 2:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,358
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Poojah

Was at that game (with our good friend Aldi, if memory serves) - was a great day out and indeed the footballing world seemed our oyster. Then 3 days later 9/11 happened and the world's been a shíttier place ever since.

My memory tells me we beat Barnsley at home to go top of the championship not cov away. Same day England beat Germany 5-1. In absolute cloud cuckoo land. Got stinking drunk and had a hangover the size of Brazil the next day and agreed to get a dog as long as the wife would just shut up and leave me alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
acko338
July 6, 2022, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Chrisblor
What's all this about leaving space for loan signings? Doesn't make sense - you can't make loan signings in the football league after the transfer window shuts. Short-term loans don't exist at this level and you can only sign loan players from window to window (emergency goalkeeper loans are the only exception). This is why Hurst keeps going on about making 6 or 7 more signings because we need enough players to cover for injuries because loans aren't an option anymore.

This is what some people are missing out on, or not understanding now we are back in the League - the EFL transfer door shuts and locks until January, so all business HAS to be completed by the alloted transfer window date and time !!

We need the necessary bodies, including the correct number of youth / academy players in the squad in order to comply with League rules !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
diehardmariner
July 6, 2022, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 537
The window shuts on September 1st.  Our season starts over a month before that.  Hurst will use that first month to determine where he wants to tweak and then use the loan market to suit as that deadline looms.  

Just like he did the last time, the only time in fact, he was here in the EFL with the deadline day signings of Henderson, Comley and Tuton.   Regardless of what level or when that window shuts, Hurst has always left himself room to tweak around that time.  

Clubs further up the ladder are often reluctant to loan out at this stage because they want to see how their own players, especially young ones, develop in and around the main team and in pre-season games.  It allows managers to also get a feel for how the first month has panned out and what the likelihood is of said young players challenging for the first team.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Les Brechin
July 6, 2022, 3:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…

It was actually the game before that (home to Barnsley) when we first went top of the table. It was the same day that England stuffed Germany 5-1 in their own back yard so our game kicked off at 1pm to avoid a clash.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst preseason interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.