6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 6, 2022, 9:30am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
For those of you who can't / unable to listen to the Interview, here is brief summary on the subjects.

On the new signings

Really happy to get the first five over the line. He is hoping for ANOTHER SIX players, dropping his priorities as a mobile strong goal scoring centre forward, a couple of midfielders (namely a replacement for Ben Fox) and a goalkeeper. he comments as a manager this is the most players that he's ever kept on and that he feels the club are in a good place. Next signing could be this week or next week, confirms he is in dialogue with a few players.

Erico Sousa

Out of all of the released players, Sousa was the closest to earning a new deal but was completely honest with him that he couldn't promise him regular football next season. Says Sousa was complimentary on his time at the club and said some really nice things, PH feels he will have lots of clubs after him and he will do well somewhere else.

John McAtee

Decided against an operation, initially told he needed one until looked into and thinks he can get bye without having it. No news on a new contract, no offers have been made for him although some have asked the question. Says John is happy at Town and he is focused on doing well for Town, feels the best place for him is working under him and Doigy as they know him well. Challenging him to go on and do well in League Two now.

Sean Scannell

PH has confirmed that Scannell has signed a new contract, feels people have been misunderstood from Scanz' recent interview in which he was talking about the potential ending to his career. Doesn't expect him back any time soon and maybe not until Christmas.

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

PH confirms that he was never considering offering Mani a contract. He said he scored some big goals and was popular in the group and with the fans, but feels he wasn't really the type of player who could have taken us forward.

Ollie Battersby

The club will be looking to loan Battersby out in order for him to get some better experience, but this will only happen when another goalkeeper is signed.

Andy Smith

PH confirms a conversation was had with Hull City, but at the moment they are wanting to take a look at him themselves.

James McKeown

It was a very tough decision to make personally, given his history with Macca. PH says he hopes he can get sorted and find somewhere where he can play for the final few years of his career.

Ben Fox

Confirms he was transparent with the club that he had other offers, says he would have like to have kept him but that's football.

Goalkeeping coachl

Confirms Sam Russell left due to a personal situation and  left on good terms. Refused to be drawn in to confirming Steve Croudson as the new GK coach, didn't accept or deny it but said people will soon see who it will be and should be announced by Saturday.

Pre-season opener at Clee

On the injury front, Efete and Wearne potentially doubtful for the game due to injuries at the end of last season. Says he likes Wearne's attitude, came in a week early to start his rehab. Both should be fit for the start of the season.

Season Tickets

Says its incredible, says the club feels different, the way the shirts are selling amazing, Says its a nice place to be, and the best time to be at Grimsby Town.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
Son of Cod
July 6, 2022, 9:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Usually, I'd be worried about the money with regards to a star player with only a year left on their contract but I don't think I've enjoyed watching a player for Town as much as I have with McAtee since the 90s. With that in mind, I wouldn't be that bothered if he left on a free at the end of the season if we've watched him for another season.

This might be a bit of a Championship/Football Manager style suggestion, but I wonder if we could get him to sign an extension with some kind of non-promotion release clause. If we go up with him then he's contracted to the club in L1 on improved terms. If we don't go up this season then he's free to join anyone that gives us a pre-determined fee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
Hagrid
July 6, 2022, 9:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
i love Hursty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
sam gy
July 6, 2022, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Re reserve games for the squad players, i guess that's one good thing (the only good thing!) about the Pizza Trophy...gives the fringe players a game, which we really struggled with organising last season it seems.

I think people have really got it wrong about the thousands that Fox is supposedly earning - he was brilliant in the playoffs but across the whole season, can we honestly say he particularly delivered? I liked him and would have loved to have kept him, but think PH was right to not break the bank to keep him - although his wage will be thousands less than what some people are saying.

Re-McAtee...i hope he signs a new contract. If he's good enough and proves himself enough then a club will come in for him no matter the price tag. May as well thank the club and PH and help us get that fee than not. Though i'd much rather see him in a black and white shirt no matter what.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
lee65
July 6, 2022, 10:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
For those of you who can't / unable to listen to the Interview, here is brief summary on the subjects.

On the new signings

Really happy to get the first five over the line. He is hoping for ANOTHER SIX players, dropping his priorities as a mobile strong goal scoring centre forward, a couple of midfielders (namely a replacement for Ben Fox) and a goalkeeper. he comments as a manager this is the most players that he's ever kept on and that he feels the club are in a good place. Next signing could be this week or next week, confirms he is in dialogue with a few players.

Erico Sousa

Out of all of the released players, Sousa was the closest to earning a new deal but was completely honest with him that he couldn't promise him regular football next season. Says Sousa was complimentary on his time at the club and said some really nice things, PH feels he will have lots of clubs after him and he will do well somewhere else.

John McAtee

Decided against an operation, initially told he needed one until looked into and thinks he can get bye without having it. No news on a new contract, no offers have been made for him although some have asked the question. Says John is happy at Town and he is focused on doing well for Town, feels the best place for him is working under him and Doigy as they know him well. Challenging him to go on and do well in League Two now.

Sean Scannell

PH has confirmed that Scannell has signed a new contract, feels people have been misunderstood from Scanz' recent interview in which he was talking about the potential ending to his career. Doesn't expect him back any time soon and maybe not until Christmas.

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

PH confirms that he was never considering offering Mani a contract. He said he scored some big goals and was popular in the group and with the fans, but feels he wasn't really the type of player who could have taken us forward.

Ollie Battersby

The club will be looking to loan Battersby out in order for him to get some better experience, but this will only happen when another goalkeeper is signed.

Andy Smith

PH confirms a conversation was had with Hull City, but at the moment they are wanting to take a look at him themselves.

James McKeown

It was a very tough decision to make personally, given his history with Macca. PH says he hopes he can get sorted and find somewhere where he can play for the final few years of his career.

Ben Fox

Confirms he was transparent with the club that he had other offers, says he would have like to have kept him but that's football.

Goalkeeping coachl

Confirms Sam Russell left due to a personal situation and  left on good terms. Refused to be drawn in to confirming Steve Croudson as the new GK coach, didn't accept or deny it but said people will soon see who it will be and should be announced by Saturday.

Pre-season opener at Clee

On the injury front, Efete and Wearne potentially doubtful for the game due to injuries at the end of last season. Says he likes Wearne's attitude, came in a week early to start his rehab. Both should be fit for the start of the season.

Season Tickets

Says its incredible, says the club feels different, the way the shirts are selling amazing, Says its a nice place to be, and the best time to be at Grimsby Town.

Thank you very much for that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
HertsGTFC
July 6, 2022, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Good interview that, I think it once again confirms if we needed it confirming that Paul Hurst knows what he’s doing and is getting on just doing that.

Some have questioned whether he has the backing or not and the fact that he’s looking for 6/7 players on top of a healthy number that have returned to pre season training confirms he has.

I appreciated his honesty throughout the piece especially when he was talking about the players who departed and his ambitions to bring others in.

Regarding McAtee some have suggested that he’s not signed a new deal as “he’s keeping his options open” nothing in the interview suggests anything other than the focus for the club and the player at the moment is getting through pre season and into the fixtures.

Similar to my point about new additions you sense Hurst is enjoying it and being allowed and backed to continue the good work that he’s done so far.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
LocalLadGTFC
July 6, 2022, 12:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,938
Gold Stars: 129
I think based on what we heard, I don’t think David Longe King will be moving on either.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 55
ginnywings
July 6, 2022, 12:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Good interview that, I think it once again confirms if we needed it confirming that Paul Hurst knows what he’s doing and is getting on just doing that.

Some have questioned whether he has the backing or not and the fact that he’s looking for 6/7 players on top of a healthy number that have returned to pre season training confirms he has.

I appreciated his honesty throughout the piece especially when he was talking about the players who departed and his ambitions to bring others in.

Regarding McAtee some have suggested that he’s not signed a new deal as “he’s keeping his options open” nothing in the interview suggests anything other than the focus for the club and the player at the moment is getting through pre season and into the fixtures.

Similar to my point about new additions you sense Hurst is enjoying it and being allowed and backed to continue the good work that he’s done so far.

Hurst was desperately trying not to say that they simply weren't good enough.

Was a good interview and insight. PH looks totally relaxed and enthused.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
PoutonStepover
July 6, 2022, 1:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from scott

Fair point! I'm 32 and started following town the year Gateshead knocked us out the play offs. For me the actual dream is just being a stable league club!

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
Poojah
July 6, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…

Was at that game (with our good friend Aldi, if memory serves) - was a great day out and indeed the footballing world seemed our oyster. Then 3 days later 9/11 happened and the world's been a shíttier place ever since.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst preseason interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.