This thread currently has 3,328 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
July 4, 2022, 8:47pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,999
Gold Stars: 193

Premier League and Championship clubs will be allowed to introduce safe standing areas from the start of the 2022-23 season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62029516

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
grimps
July 4, 2022, 8:58pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 46
It’s Too late for Blundell park although it would be nice in a new stadium .
It’s a shame we knocked out standing corners down and repaired them with nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
GYinScuntland
July 5, 2022, 4:32am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
excrement idea and by the looks on their faces a excrement reality too.
If anyone thinks for half a second that this compares with a good old fashioned terrace where you can mingle with your mates then you're deluded.
It's simply seating without the seats.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
aldi_01
July 5, 2022, 6:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GYinScuntland
If anyone thinks for half a second that this compares with a good old fashioned terrace where you can mingle with your mates then you're deluded.

You stood in safe standing?

Agreed it’s not just a big concreted space but the times I’ve stood on it it’s decent…anything is better than flipping plastic seats…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
toontown
July 5, 2022, 8:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Not as good as proper terracing but definitely an improvement for those who prefer to stand, at least it gives them the option.

I wonder if this means we will finally be freed from our requirement to be all seater due to being in the championship when it was introduced? Or will we only be able to change to rail seats rather than proper terracing?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Mariner Ronnie
July 5, 2022, 9:51am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from aldi_01

You stood in safe standing?

Agreed it’s not just a big concreted space but the times I’ve stood on it it’s decent…anything is better than flipping plastic seats…

Hamburg has it (like scuntland will know) and it is awful.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Son of Cod
July 5, 2022, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from toontown
Not as good as proper terracing but definitely an improvement for those who prefer to stand, at least it gives them the option.

I wonder if this means we will finally be freed from our requirement to be all seater due to being in the championship when it was introduced? Or will we only be able to change to rail seats rather than proper terracing?

Yeah it could be a good thing if only for the reason that it eradicates the potential for people who want to sit arguing with people in front of them that want to stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
mimma
July 5, 2022, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
It's very expensive and doesn't increase capacity. Does it still have to have a seat in it, or can we just build a good old fashioned terrace with rails to keep the costs down?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
petethemariner
July 5, 2022, 3:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
We were made to have all seating a couple of decades ago because of the league we were in, we are no longer in that league,
would we be allowed to  build standing areas in the corners of BP now?  Doubt it,but It would certainly help  with capacity problems & plenty of other league 2 clubs have standing areas so  seems a bit  unfair if we can't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
GYinScuntland
July 5, 2022, 5:20pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Hamburg has it (like scuntland will know) and it is awful.

It is awful, once was enough for me.
To put it in context a season ticket on that stand when last I heard was €150 but with a hell of a waiting list mind.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
immariner
July 5, 2022, 5:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
I don't know hoe they ever came to the conclusion that the ptoblem was terracing itself and not over-estimated capacities, crowd control and fencing. Still irks that we had to get rid of terracing and that it can't be overturned, despite all the extant terraced stands and the very few incidents that have occurred since
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 5, 2022, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from immariner
I don't know hoe they ever came to the conclusion that the ptoblem was terracing itself and not over-estimated capacities, crowd control and fencing. Still irks that we had to get rid of terracing and that it can't be overturned, despite all the extant terraced stands and the very few incidents that have occurred since

It was the safety on the terraces where the issue started. Crush barriers were introduced but didn’t really work as the surge could then create such force that serious injury prevailed. Fences were put up to try to eradicate hooliganism, but the dangers were highlighted when the disaster at valley parade (due to antiquated stadium and locked escapes) and hillsborough happened.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
aldi_01
July 6, 2022, 6:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The whole removal of terracing was a typical knee jerk reaction that was poorly thought out and just shite. That said, I know plenty of fans who’ve never stood on a terrace and whilst I’d imagine clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd May sling it in the Kop and Stretford end, that’s generally for their ‘real’ fans who likely remember the days of standing. The areas with the tourists and the half and half buyers quite like their seats and you’d struggle to justify £45/50 a ticket for a standing place.

I’ve used safe standing it’s decent and perhaps it lacks that old school feel but I know which I’d prefer to do…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
Limerick Mariner
July 6, 2022, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Standing is great, especially when you are close to the action. The terrace at Welford Road, Leicester is superb for atmosphere, right on top of the players when there is a scrum or lineout on that side and up to COVID the players used to run out through the crowd - altogether really intimidating for the opposition, but clearly would never be permitted for football. Also, I don't mind getting wet on a terrace, it's miserable sitting down getting rained on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Limerick Mariner
July 7, 2022, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Quoted from aldi_01
The whole removal of terracing was a typical knee jerk reaction that was poorly thought out and just shite. That said, I know plenty of fans who’ve never stood on a terrace and whilst I’d imagine clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd May sling it in the Kop and Stretford end, that’s generally for their ‘real’ fans who likely remember the days of standing. The areas with the tourists and the half and half buyers quite like their seats and you’d struggle to justify £45/50 a ticket for a standing place.

I’ve used safe standing it’s decent and perhaps it lacks that old school feel but I know which I’d prefer to do…

I was thinking how it really fecked us in particular; probably more than any other club. We had a stadium that was tired but with a capacity of circa 17k, and therefore an established planning use in law for that capacity in terms of parking, access etc (stadium capacity from a safety aspect being a separate matter). We have lost that established planning use. In terms of redevelopment of the BP, we could have rebuilt the Main and Osmond and extended down to the Pontoon, with a curved cantilever roof same height but radically better site lines - probably about 5,500 seats in total. With the Upper that would give us 7,500 seats, so not alot different from current.

We could have put roofs on the Imp and Clee Corner terraces and even with lower terrace capacities that we have now we would have had circa 1,200 in each corner, 1,200 in the lower and 2,400 standing in the Pontoon. So an overall capacity of 13,500 - 7,500 seats 6,000 standing with half the stadium rebuilt - but alot lower cost than a new stadium. A capacity certainly adequate for League 1 with likes of Wednesday and Derby in it and a nice tight enclosed ground with a great atmosphere. Instead we have lost our planning rights to that level of capacity and have almost half of our capacity with pretty shite sight lines. A rebuild would cost alot more and probably wouldn't get us to any more than 12k and probably attract a shedload of planning objections on parking and traffic issues. It really fecked us didn't it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
White_shorts
August 5, 2022, 5:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I don't get this idea that old-fashioned terracing is better than safe standing.  Did you enjoy being squashed like sardines?

If the club had absolutely no other choice but to stay at Blundell Park, then I would like the Main Stand to be replaced with a safe standing terrace that runs the full length of the pitch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
FPVmariner
August 5, 2022, 8:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Maybe we could also have CRT tv’s on each barrier playing the latest Z car episodes and the refreshment stalls selling Bellamys pop.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Kris2
August 5, 2022, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,627
Quoted from White_shorts

I don't get this idea that old-fashioned terracing is better than safe standing.  Did you enjoy being squashed like sardines?

If the club had absolutely no other choice but to stay at Blundell Park, then I would like the Main Stand to be replaced with a safe standing terrace that runs the full length of the pitch.

Nostalgia for a time long gone mostly.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Safe standing given the green light

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.