Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It all feels…
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 221 Guests

It all feels…

This thread currently has 6,762 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
July 2, 2022, 10:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 22
It all feels -
to me like GTFC are assembling a competitive football team in League 2.
🤙
UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
MarinerDevil
July 2, 2022, 11:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,706
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Mariner_09

On another note, I read today Lincoln are in bother, owners are making all the signings, and isn’t a happy camp at all, have pulled the funding owing to losses of £4m last financial year. Could we swap places with them? I think so.

Not sure where you've heard that as there have been up to 10 share allocations in the last year, the latest being £650k:

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1538840128428417026

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
toontown
July 3, 2022, 8:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Not sure where you've heard that as there have been up to 10 share allocations in the last year, the latest being £650k:

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1538840128428417026

Yeah it really does show how competitive and demanding league 1 is now that lincoln with average crowds of what, 9k, are needing 100s of thousands (millions?) poured in a year by the board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
Heisenberg
July 3, 2022, 8:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,954
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from toontown

Yeah it really does show how competitive and demanding league 1 is now that lincoln with average crowds of what, 9k, are needing 100s of thousands (millions?) poured in a year by the board.

This is a good point. Players earn a fortune in L1. To be competitive you really need to be an Ipswich or Portsmouth nowadays, a Lincoln or Grimsby will struggle income-wise. Lincoln’s model has worked well so far, but ultimately their crowds of 9000 don’t sound enough, which is mad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
lukeo
July 3, 2022, 8:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
I'm not expecting to be promoted, it'd be lovely but I can only imagine we'd come straight back down or constantly fight off relegation because there's mega money in league 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
moosey_club
July 3, 2022, 9:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from lukeo
I'm not expecting to be promoted, it'd be lovely but I can only imagine we'd come straight back down or constantly fight off relegation because there's mega money in league 1.

Hence why the owners use the self sustaining title alot. The game has changed beyond recognition since we were last punching above our weight in the second and third tier.  Back then you overspent a bit... but not to the degree that is needed nowadays.
However Fleetwood, Accrington seem to do OK so would be interesting to see how their books look.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
aldi_01
July 3, 2022, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from moosey_club

Hence why the owners use the self sustaining title alot. The game has changed beyond recognition since we were last punching above our weight in the second and third tier.  Back then you overspent a bit... but not to the degree that is needed nowadays.
However Fleetwood, Accrington seem to do OK so would be interesting to see how their books look.

I’d imagine their books look similar to Lincoln, although Lincoln did try and push on for promotion, those you named haven’t ever really tried to do that. Perhaps that’s an issue.

Wages in league 1 are bonkers in truth. There are players in league 1 earning top end championship money at bang average clubs.

The season just gone is probably the first season that Lincoln fans will have experienced a ‘meh’ season since many have been following them (I’m aware this is tongue in cheek) and I know they’ve sold a huge amount of season tickets again but another nothing season May be alien and begin to affect them and the interest in the team. How much do shareholders want to shovel in? What’s their ambition. I’d imagine they fancy the championship but it’s not that easy and we know that the championship is littered with huge spenders and the levels of cash needed are huge unless you become Rotherham…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
Heisenberg
July 3, 2022, 3:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,954
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from aldi_01

I’d imagine their books look similar to Lincoln, although Lincoln did try and push on for promotion, those you named haven’t ever really tried to do that. Perhaps that’s an issue.

Wages in league 1 are bonkers in truth. There are players in league 1 earning top end championship money at bang average clubs.

The season just gone is probably the first season that Lincoln fans will have experienced a ‘meh’ season since many have been following them (I’m aware this is tongue in cheek) and I know they’ve sold a huge amount of season tickets again but another nothing season May be alien and begin to affect them and the interest in the team. How much do shareholders want to shovel in? What’s their ambition. I’d imagine they fancy the championship but it’s not that easy and we know that the championship is littered with huge spenders and the levels of cash needed are huge unless you become Rotherham…

How many season tickets have Lincoln shifted this time? And is their upgrading of Sincil Bank still in the pipeline?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It all feels…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.