toontown
July 1, 2022, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,158
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Watch the play off final again. It wasn’t all about Bogle & Arnold.

Nolan had an excellent game carrying the ball forward and helped Hurst get a balance that enabled Dis & Clay to retain the ball, something we needed to improve on before he arrived.

I’m amazed anyone could doubt his ability based upon a run of results.

He wasn't playing as a  Central midfield pairing then though. I agree we were a better side for the inclusion of him over monkhouse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 52
diehardmariner
July 1, 2022, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,097
Gold Stars: 520
flipping hell.  I'm not sure what's more bizarre, the slightest nod that Nolan was excrement or the very brash use of statistical data to prove this point. (Nice WUMing though, Golly.  )

Thankfully football isn't played on a crude spreadsheet.  As highlighted very well by others, far too many variables at play just to say it's as simple as points won whilst said player was involved.

Nolan was a quality player for us 6 years ago.  Anyone who failed to see that needs their eyes and head testing.  Am I bothered he's signed for Tranmere?  Not particularly.  I think the level of retention and recruitment we've shown this summer suggests Hurst's feels he can do better and I agree on that.  Not sure he would fit into our style of play now either.  Hurst's style of play has evolved since 2016.  
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 52
mariner91
July 1, 2022, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from diehardmariner
flipping hell.  I'm not sure what's more bizarre, the slightest nod that Nolan was excrement or the very brash use of statistical data to prove this point. (Nice WUMing though, Golly.  )

Thankfully football isn't played on a crude spreadsheet.  As highlighted very well by others, far too many variables at play just to say it's as simple as points won whilst said player was involved.

Nolan was a quality player for us 6 years ago.  Anyone who failed to see that needs their eyes and head testing.  Am I bothered he's signed for Tranmere?  Not particularly.  I think the level of retention and recruitment we've shown this summer suggests Hurst's feels he can do better and I agree on that.  Not sure he would fit into our style of play now either.  Hurst's style of play has evolved since 2016.

Agree with this. He built a far more dynamic team than we had in 2016. Emphasis on pressing hard and high as a team. All of our team this season have been physically capable and often physically out battled our opponents, that wasn't the case previously. Not sure that would suit Nolan. McAtee can do the things Nolan can but also hunts the ball down brilliantly, a constant thorn in the side of the opposition.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.