3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
June 27, 2022, 12:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
Our players were thrown together last summer and had just one pre-season to gel.

Then we made changes throughout the season, sending loans back and signing new players. They had no time to settle in.

And we came out the other side playing decent stuff, scoring great goals and winning promotion.

It's hard to get a bunch of players to buy into a style of play if the squad is always changing — unless that style is so clearly laid out, and easily understood, that players can literally walk in and get it. That takes real skill to establish.

Looks like Hurst has done that. Everyone knew their role in the play-offs, from those who played every minute, like Clifton and Waterfall, to the likes of Coke and Abrahams.

Well drilled, well coached, everyone bought into it. I wouldn't say we're longball, either would I say we're known for passing it like under Buckley. It's a mix, which makes us hard to figure out for the opposition.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Jarmo.Is.God
June 27, 2022, 12:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We got the best value entertainment we've had in years at home last season. The football was great even when we weren't clinical

This is the nail on the head.

If we finished a lot of our chances, they style of play in the build up gets recognised more.

We have a tough time in the middle of the season, but i don't ever thinking 'this is painful to watch'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
buckstown
June 27, 2022, 1:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,167
Gold Stars: 79
Sexy and adventurous?
Is that similar to winning 5-4 away at the team with the best home record
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
acko338
June 27, 2022, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Hurst seems to have moved towards faster movement and a younger average age group.

If the finished squad has above average abilities and a run of good luck, then it should make for good games, fan happiness and some modicum of success.

If we can get a steady 5,500 to 6000 minimum home crowd early on, get some early wins, then the financial security will roll on, and give the new Directors more scope for the ground and facility improvements, which in turn bring in more fans  and the chance of attracting better players going forward.

Signs are currently good !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
HertsGTFC
June 27, 2022, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,887
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from acko338
Hurst seems to have moved towards faster movement and a younger average age group.

If the finished squad has above average abilities and a run of good luck, then it should make for good games, fan happiness and some modicum of success.

If we can get a steady 5,500 to 6000 minimum home crowd early on, get some early wins, then the financial security will roll on, and give the new Directors more scope for the ground and facility improvements, which in turn bring in more fans  and the chance of attracting better players going forward.

Signs are currently good !!

I think Hurst now has the backing to move in a different direction rather than last time we came up when the budget ran to a new portacabin and players with good attitudes but questionable ability

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
aldi_01
June 28, 2022, 7:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the key is culture and a backing, support all round and the opportunity to lay it out.

We started the season very well but it became apparent that those players either didn’t have the minerals to keep it going or they didn’t buy in to the whole package. Hurst rebuilt and whilst there were moments in the middle where we looked average, we kept plugging away and got our rewards.

We always talk about teams with momentum going in to the playoffs but we were that team and it showed.

Our style is varied, we play some excellent football at times, love the ball quick and play with pace but we can mix it up. We scored two huge goals from a long throw but unlike Parkinson at Wrexham, we had more than that. He expects Tozer to do it all the time and it becomes predictable, we don’t which is why I believe it to be more effective for us.

I think now we’re back in the league we’ll try and play a bit more football but I still expect us to be solid at the back. Hurst will obviously want more goals but after everything last season, in three playoff games we scored 9, not bad for a side that apparently spent all season lacking a striker…

For what it’s worth, I think style of play is irrelevant so long as you win. You hear premier league fans talk about the ‘west ham’ way or whatever but I don’t know what that is, especially with clubs like that Becauee they’ve never won anything so it can’t be that good. Much like Pep and his so called football genius, they win the league but still fail in Europe, is it the pig ignorance and increased self belief that their way is the only way?

All I know is Hurst is backed by the club, which is a great thing and will no doubt make his life easier meaning he’s more relaxed. If there are any fans left doubting Hurst then I’d argue they’re probably just being idiots and clearly players want to play for him, in turn, play for the club.

We could have an excellent chance this season and unlike before, we’ve capitalised…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Style of football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.