Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We should tread carefully
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 119 Guests

We should tread carefully

This thread currently has 7,160 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
June 25, 2022, 8:35am
Guest User
Ok, so I will be putting money on Town to get promoted this season, BUT we must not get carried away just because we got promoted immediately out of the NL back to L2.  It's good to see all the optimism on this board but there are many other teams in this League that will be thinking the same as us.  Why do we think we will shoot straight through this League and into L1?  Yes, we have a nucleus of players  in the squad who got us promoted, but we only finished 6th in the NL, I think L2 will be a different kettle of fish!  Obviously a lot will depend on new signings that we get into the building to build what we hope will help us to make a promotion winning squad.  I am really looking forward to this season and hoping to see us in the promotion places at the end of the season

Don't bother red crossing me, I never look at my profile and couldn't care less if you do.  UTM  
Stockport Mariner
June 25, 2022, 8:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
I’m not sure people do think we’ll get promoted. Hopefully we will be competitive, but getting promoted again would be a very tall order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
pontoonlew
June 25, 2022, 9:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 171
We might win the title or we might crash and burn, who knows? Neither are likely to happen so I’ll just enjoy the ride and see where we end up without needing to overthink it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
PrestwichMariner
June 25, 2022, 9:14am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Personally I'm just hoping to see a good competitive team out there and not being worried about relegation. Anything else will be a bonus!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2022, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
We should be looking to have a good squad in place by September 1st and improve that squad in January.

We should be targeting a top half finish. We should be targeting the play-offs. If we come a bit short it wouldn’t be the end of the world as long as we continue to build.

We should make sure we don’t squander the momentum we have gained over the last 12 months.

Lincoln came 7th after they came up and won the league the following season. We should be targeting promotion within 2 seasons. We don’t want to get bogged down in L2 again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 58
blundellpork
June 25, 2022, 9:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
After that poor run in the middle of the season, I was convinced we would make the playoffs, but falter once we played one of the top 3-4 teams.

We then went on an great run over the last 10 games resulting in that incredible play off campaign.

Whilst I expect Hurst to put a decent side together, I’d happily take mid table next season, and put the foundations in place for a run at the playoffs a year later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
cmackenzie4
June 25, 2022, 9:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I’m hoping we can be competitive this season, there are some goods teams in league 2 and it won’t be easy, I’m hoping for town to hold their own and will take it from there, we are in a very different situation than when we was promoted from the national league last time round, I’m hopeful for the future but I am realistic in that it will take time, I can definitely see us being in league 1 in the near future.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
aldi_01
June 25, 2022, 9:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A top half finish would be a success given we haven’t finished in the top half of the basement division in what feels like forever.

Of course, assuming we continue with the same culture and build a decent squad we could finish in the playoffs but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I don’t see anyone genuinely talking about promotion, more that people are still buzzing that we’ve found ourselves back up after a season and the playoff campaign being the greatest three games ever.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
mariner91
June 25, 2022, 9:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Puts money on Town to get promoted then proceeds to tell others not to get carried away. Classic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
It Bites
June 25, 2022, 9:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,173
Gold Stars: 259
Quoted from 123614
Ok, so I will be putting money on Town to get promoted this season, BUT we must not get carried away just because we got promoted immediately out of the NL back to L2.  It's good to see all the optimism on this board but there are many other teams in this League that will be thinking the same as us.  Why do we think we will shoot straight through this League and into L1?  Yes, we have a nucleus of players  in the squad who got us promoted, but we only finished 6th in the NL, I think L2 will be a different kettle of fish!  Obviously a lot will depend on new signings that we get into the building to build what we hope will help us to make a promotion winning squad.  I am really looking forward to this season and hoping to see us in the promotion places at the end of the season

Don't bother red crossing me, I never look at my profile and couldn't care less if you do.  UTM  

It's about the full package. The new owners have given the fans Hope and Optimisim... That's all , as fans that most of us ever wanted really .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
aldi_01
June 25, 2022, 9:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A club that we were part of, a club that belonged to all of us in anyway we want. A club that we can be proud of. Not a club that belonged to a moronic millionaire and we felt like a burden…even though we were all there before and after him…

We’ve got that now so we need to be forgiven for getting star excited…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
RonMariner
June 25, 2022, 9:53am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,633
Gold Stars: 226
The owners said that the aim is to improve in every transfer window. It’s early days yet because we have had so few new faces on board. I am hoping though that we see more signing in the next fortnight. Then we might be in a better position to judge.

Just like last season I think a playoff finish would constitute a very creditable achievement. I just hope that we are not in yet another relegation battle in this league!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
ska face
June 25, 2022, 10:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,607
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from 123614

Kinell, you not got any kids’ sandcastles to be knocking over? Never known such a joyless fun sponge in all my time on here. Think you’ve just confected an alternative reality to get mad at - where is anyone expecting to shoot straight through to League 1?

For someone not bothered about any red crosses you seem to mention it at every opportunity. Maybe you genuinely wouldn’t have to be bothered if you didn’t make it your business to neg everyone out.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
ginnywings
June 25, 2022, 10:51am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
I don't see why we can't make top 7 but I won't be cutting up my season ticket if we don't. We will be top half I reckon, but that would be progress given that we haven't troubled that for a long time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
GtfcGarner
June 25, 2022, 11:00am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,784
Gold Stars: 26
As others have said. Top half finish would be acceptable for us let’s not run before we can walk. However why bother competing if you are not in it to win it? A lot of the culture of hard work and graft sometimes takes you to places where talent alone cannot. Feel we are in safe hands regardless and PH will bring in players who improve on last seasons squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Poojah
June 25, 2022, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,454
Gold Stars: 1,500
Realistically we have been sub-standard every season in League Two since 2005/6, and even then we bottled a promotion that looked nailed-on for most of the season.

But I think we’ve got every reason to believe that next season could be different. We’ve got the biggest budget, even relative others, that we’ve had in that time. We’ve got the best set-up we’ve ever had in that time too, even if we still have some catching-up to do as a club. We have the best owners. And of course, we have the best manager - I think all would agree that the version of Paul Hurst today is superior to the one we had in 2016 (and I’m discounting Buckley mkIII as he was past his best between 2006 and 200.

Absolutely everything is on our side, and whilst acknowledging that League Two will be much tougher than the National League I think we’ve got every chance of having a really good crack at it. Hurst had us in the play-offs when he left 6 years ago, and with the club so much improved from top to bottom I see no reason he can not do that again, only over a full season.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
forza ivano
June 25, 2022, 11:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
32 red crosses and

counting  

just to put things in perspective perhaps Golly or someone can tell me our highest finishing positions in the last 20 years?

for me, i will be happy to see things progressing and improving on and off the park, even if they are only small steps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
male private Nale
June 25, 2022, 11:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Anyone backing Town must not do it preseason there is zero value there.

We will take time to settle and ours squad will still be added to for 5 weeks into the season then bedding in period.

I will be backing Town for a top half (Price not available at present) or top 7 finish (currently 11/4) late autumn where our price will definitely be more attractive.

I got Town 20/1 for promotion in January this season as oppose to 4/1 at start of season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
RonMariner
June 25, 2022, 11:52am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Realistically we have been sub-standard every season in League Two since 2005/6, and even then we bottled a promotion that looked nailed-on for most of the season.

But I think we’ve got every reason to believe that next season could be different. We’ve got the biggest budget, even relative others, that we’ve had in that time. We’ve got the best set-up we’ve ever had in that time too, even if we still have some catching-up to do as a club. We have the best owners. And of course, we have the best manager - I think all would agree that the version of Paul Hurst today is superior to the one we had in 2016 (and I’m discounting Buckley mkIII as he was past his best between 2006 and 200.

Absolutely everything is on our side, and whilst acknowledging that League Two will be much tougher than the National League I think we’ve got every chance of having a really good crack at it. Hurst had us in the play-offs when he left 6 years ago, and with the club so much improved from top to bottom I see no reason he can not do that again, only over a full season.

Yes, and let’s not forget that Hurst built a team that got to the L1 playoffs at Shrewsbury in little over a year. So there is every chance he can get us to the playoffs, if not this season then probably next.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2022, 11:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from male private Nale
Anyone backing Town must not do it preseason there is zero value there.

We will take time to settle and ours squad will still be added to for 5 weeks into the season then bedding in period.

I will be backing Town for a top half or top 7 finish late autumn where our price will definitely be more attractive.

I got Town 20/1 for promotion in January this season as oppose to 4/1 at start of season.

Me and my dad had £20 on Town to win promotion at 20/1 too. And then I used two £5 bet credits to put bets on at 16/1 and 10/1 as the season progressed. We won £550. Our 3 STs cost a total of £584.25 so it nearly covered the whole lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 58
DB
June 25, 2022, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
Those who read my posts last season will confirm my prediction of promotion from the NL. As for the forthcoming season, we'll be going up again.

We have the nucleus of the team that got us promoted, momentum and a never say die team spirit. A few additions to the squad and we can go for it. This group of players have L1 written all over them.

So my positive optimism is riding high again, we're in it to win it.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
bawarmy
June 25, 2022, 12:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
My optimism for the season comes from being a better run club than in previous years. Once you get behind the scenes right, then you have a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
goldenfish
June 25, 2022, 12:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
If we aren’t needing wins in last 5 games to stay up then I’d be happy …  then build and progress .. personally think we  will be 10th - 15th ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
DB
June 25, 2022, 12:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from bawarmy
My optimism for the season comes from being a better run club than in previous years. Once you get behind the scenes right, then you have a chance.

A foundation built on bricks and not sand, as per the previous regime.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
male private Nale
June 25, 2022, 12:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Me and my dad had £20 on Town to win promotion at 20/1 too. And then I used two £5 bet credits to put bets on at 16/1 and 10/1 as the season progressed. We won £550. Our 3 STs cost a total of £584.25 so it nearly covered the whole lot.

Lovely ole job... here's to further success this season
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
Barrattstander
June 25, 2022, 1:31pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
If we finish above 14th next season then we will have ended in our highest position for 17 years......which is literally a lifetime for a large proportion of our younger fans.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
WelwynGardener
June 25, 2022, 1:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
Since my first visit to BP in 1956, I've experienced the extremes of jubilation and demoralisation and just about every emotion in between. Football supporting is based on hope rather than expectation and this season will be no different for me. At least this time around, the structure and culture of the club are features we can all identify with and show support for. I hope to just enjoy the ride this season with a packed stadium and an atmosphere we haven't experienced consistently for a long, long time. As to where we'll finish, who knows? But that's the beauty of the game, a theatrical performance without a script. Much better than a Shakespeare play, where the ending is already written.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
June 25, 2022, 1:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91
Puts money on Town to get promoted then proceeds to tell others not to get carried away. Classic.

I can see you're not very intelligent.

Reply: 27 - 58
June 25, 2022, 1:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from ska face

Kinell, you not got any kids’ sandcastles to be knocking over? Never known such a joyless fun sponge in all my time on here. Think you’ve just confected an alternative reality to get mad at - where is anyone expecting to shoot straight through to League 1?

For someone not bothered about any red crosses you seem to mention it at every opportunity. Maybe you genuinely wouldn’t have to be bothered if you didn’t make it your business to neg everyone out.

Grow up sonny, and learn to count, I believe I might have mentioned red crosses twice.

Reply: 28 - 58
mariner91
June 25, 2022, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,585
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 123614

I can see you're not very intelligent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
RonMariner
June 25, 2022, 2:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Barrattstander
If we finish above 14th next season then we will have ended in our highest position for 17 years......which is literally a lifetime for a large proportion of our younger fans.

Wow, that is a shocking statistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
grimsby pete
June 25, 2022, 2:25pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
It.s hard to say where we will finish until Paul gets his squad together but we will have a decent side whoever we sign.

Paul has the backing of the board and will have big crowds to support the team where ever we play.

I fully expect a top ten finish but hoping for more.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
toontown
June 25, 2022, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
I do think some people might  be a bit carried away saying there is little difference between top of NL and league 2. The experiences of newly promoted sides don't bear that out. Since we were promoted last time here is how the 2 promoted sides each time have fared the next season in league 2:

15/16
Champs Cheltenham = 21st
Play offs Town = 14th

Champs lincoln = 7th
Po FGR = 21st

Champs Macclesfield = 22nd
Po tranmere = 6th

Champs Leyton orient = 17th
Po Salford = 11th

Champs Barrow = 21st
Po Harrogate = 17th

Champs Sutton = 8th
Po hartlepool = 17th

So it's pretty unusual to challenge the next season. Lincoln did after being champions, scraping into the playoffs and being knocked out in the semis. Tranmere also but they were runners up. The absolutely vital thing I think is to not lose momentum, like lincoln, that pretty successful season allowing them to hold on to their new fans, build further, and go up the next year.
I agree that top half would be good but if were not to get in the playoffs then top 10 would be really good to keep in touch with the playoffs until the final weeks and keep everybody interested, so the season mostly feels like something is riding on it and keeps the atmosphere of interest to the more casual fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
DB
June 25, 2022, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from toontown
I do think some people might  be a bit carried away saying there is little difference between top of NL and league 2. The experiences of newly promoted sides don't bear that out. Since we were promoted last time here is how the 2 promoted sides each time have fared the next season in league 2:

15/16
Champs Cheltenham = 21st
Play offs Town = 14th

Champs lincoln = 7th
Po FGR = 21st

Po tranmere = 6th

Po Salford = 11th

Champs Barrow = 21st
Po Harrogate = 17th

Champs Sutton = 8th
Po hartlepool = 17th

So it's pretty unusual to challenge the next season. Lincoln did after being champions, scraping into the playoffs and being knocked out in the semis. Tranmere also but they were runners up. The absolutely vital thing I think is to not lose momentum, like lincoln, that pretty successful season allowing them to hold on to their new fans, build further, and go up the next year.
I agree that top half would be good but if were not to get in the playoffs then top 10 would be really good to keep in touch with the playoffs until the final weeks and keep everybody interested, so the season mostly feels like something is riding on it and keeps the atmosphere of interest to the more casual fans.

You can't argue with stats, but somebody has to do a double promotion so it may as well be us. Going up.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
GollyGTFC
June 25, 2022, 5:58pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from toontown

15/16
Champs Cheltenham = 21st
Play offs Town = 14th

Champs lincoln = 7th
Po FGR = 21st

Po tranmere = 6th

Po Salford = 11th

Champs Barrow = 21st
Po Harrogate = 17th

Champs Sutton = 8th
Po hartlepool = 17th

Lets take these stats and then focus in on the clubs who are similarly sized to Grimsby. I think it's fair to say our average attendance next season will be in excess of 6,000. I don't think anyone would argue with that would they?

Well lets have a look how clubs who have been promoted from the Conference/National League and had an average attendance of 6,000 or higher in their first season in League 2 have done. Since it went to 2 up and 2 down between League 2 & the National League there have been 8 promoted teams that have averaged over 6,000 the season after their promotion...

2017/18 - LINCOLN CITY - 7TH - Ave. Attendance: 8,782
2014/15 - LUTON TOWN - 8TH - Ave. Attendance: 8,702
2015/16 - BRISTOL ROVERS - 3RD (P) - Ave. Attendance: 8,096
2010/11 - OXFORD UNITED - 12TH - Ave. Attendance: 7,277
2005/06 - CARLISLE UNITED - 1ST (C) - Ave. Attendance: 7,218
2003/04 - DONCASTER ROVERS - 1ST (C) - Ave. Attendance: 6,938
2018/19 - TRANMERE ROVERS - 6TH (P) - Ave. Attendance: 6,552
2003/04 - YEOVIL TOWN - 8TH - Ave. Attendance: 6,196

So...

All 8 finished in the top half of League 2.
7 of the 8 finished at least 8th.

Half (4 out of the 8 clubs) have achieved promotion to L1 at the first attempt.
Another 2 were promoted to L1 in their second season after promotion (Yeovil & Lincoln)
Another team was promoted to L1 in their third season after promotion (Luton)
The final team was promoted to L1 in their sixth season after promotion (Oxford)

Lets cut the "we should be happy to stay up" & "lower mid-table would be fine" cr@p. Both ourselves and Stockport will average over 6,000 and both of us should be focused on qualifying for the play-offs as a minimum and targeting promotion as a realistic objective.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 58
DB
June 25, 2022, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Lets take these stats and then focus in on the clubs who are similarly sized to Grimsby. I think it's fair to say our average attendance next season will be in excess of 6,000. I don't think anyone would argue with that would they?

Well lets have a look how clubs who have been promoted from the Conference/National League and had an average attendance of 6,000 or higher in their first season in League 2 have done. Since it went to 2 up and 2 down between League 2 & the National League there have been 8 promoted teams that have averaged over 6,000 the season after their promotion...

2005/06 - CARLISLE - 1ST (C) - Ave. Attendance: 7,218

So...

Another 2 were promoted to L1 in their second season after promotion (Yeovil & Lincoln)
The final team was promoted to L1 in their sixth season after promotion (Oxford)

Lets cut the "we should be happy to stay up" & "lower mid-table would be fine" cr@p. Both ourselves and Stockport will average over 6,000 and both of us should be focused on qualifying for the play-offs as a minimum and targeting promotion as a realistic objective.

Positive, enthusiastic optimism. I love it. Going up

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Abdul19
June 25, 2022, 6:08pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,531
Gold Stars: 215
Agreed. We're a big club at this level and we've got momentum. We can consolidate when we're dead.

(Not entirely sure what that means but you get the jist)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
GrimPol
June 25, 2022, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -654
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from PrestwichMariner
Personally I'm just hoping to see a good competitive team out there and not being worried about relegation. Anything else will be a bonus!

Each League is competitive, so for me above halfway this time around, with "maybe a push" 23-24??

And gentlemen in Grimsby now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon the 5th of June day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
ska face
June 25, 2022, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,607
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from GollyGTFC

2005/06 - CARLISLE UNITED - 1ST (C) - Ave. Attendance: 7,218

So...

Good stats Golly. Wonder if that has any bearing on squad churn, my favourite variable. You’d imagine that teams who keep the bulk of their successful squads and make a few key additions may fare better than those who need to make big changes or have their best players picked off for more money?

Run it through the churn-o-meter.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
Plankton
June 25, 2022, 8:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,208
Gold Stars: 38
It took a little while, longer that expected but true through form a moronic thread happened. Let’s hope next season is even longer for the dunce thread creator of the pre-season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
Rodley Mariner
June 25, 2022, 8:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
intercourse consolidating and settling for mid-table next season. A football club of our size will have the momentum, the backing and the support it currently has once every 40 or 50 years. A good season next year that hooks in the 5k+ season ticket holders could define the next 10 years. I don't expect us to get promoted but it should 100% be what the aim is and although they'll try to manage expectations I bet Hurst and Stockwood think exactly the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
Maringer
June 25, 2022, 8:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,471
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding Sutton finishing just outside the play-offs on the last day of the season, the big Sutton fan we know through work mentioned that they had a terrible injury crisis for a few months last season and were almost struggling to put a team out on occasion. They were up in the automatic promotion places before the injury hit, so Golly's stats about 'larger' clubs has some weight. Sutton were reliant on a small squad which worked out when they won the National League title, but wasn't quite enough last season.

The only caveat is that we didn't get close to winning the title last season so we're starting from a relatively lower base. However, it seems that we are at least keeping most of the consistency in the squad so we'll hopefully be well-placed to build on our good finish last season and the money coming in should allow more strengthening both this summer and after Christmas. Just need to keep in touch with the play-offs so I'd be happy with a solid, if unspectacular start to the season.

Just hoping that we don't have the injury issues with the strikers that we did at the start of last season, though it didn't hurt us too much at the time!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
Maringer
June 25, 2022, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,471
Gold Stars: 185
P.S. Sutton have sold their best player to Peterborough apparently, so replacing him might be difficult. Hopefully will make them less able to mount a promotion challenge next season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
fishboyUTM
June 25, 2022, 8:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Poojah

Alan Buckley is a Lord, a God and a King.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
1mickylyons
June 25, 2022, 9:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Sod treading carefully I want us stomping anything that gets in the way We're Tiwn We're back and We're going Up .You can't stop momentum and when PH gets back to back promotions he will be right up there with Sir Alan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
1mickylyons
June 25, 2022, 9:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Sod treading carefully I want us stomping anything that gets in the way We're Town We're back and We're going Up .You can't stop momentum and when PH gets back to back promotions he will be right up there with Sir Alan

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
June 25, 2022, 9:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Plankton
It took a little while, longer that expected but true through form a moronic thread happened. Let’s hope next season is even longer for the dunce thread creator of the pre-season.

So another village has lost it's idiot!  If you read most of the posts here, not many are saying we will go up first time,, therefore agreeing with my post.   I suggest you go back to school and learn about the adult world, somewhere you don't belong.

Reply: 46 - 58
fishboyUTM
June 25, 2022, 10:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Nice post. Completely disagree. You only live once and I'm copulated if I'm wasting it. Go get it, go make the best of yourself and I believe these lads at the top share that vision. We're having it, and get on the promotion choo choo or don't bother wating for the train. He's gone, never look back, lets go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
Rodley Mariner
June 25, 2022, 10:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from 123614

So another village has lost it's idiot!  If you read most of the posts here, not many are saying we will go up first time,, therefore agreeing with my post.   I suggest you go back to school and learn about the adult world, somewhere you don't belong.

Good job you don't care what anyone else thinks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
Swansea_Mariner
June 25, 2022, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
FFS its DIVISION 4 not the champions league, get a grip.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
DB
June 26, 2022, 6:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Sod treading carefully I want us stomping anything that gets in the way We're Tiwn We're back and We're going Up .You can't stop momentum and when PH gets back to back promotions he will be right up there with Sir Alan

Gold star man for man Micky, enthusiastic and positive. Of course we're going up, well said.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
June 26, 2022, 7:26am
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Good job you don't care what anyone else thinks.

I've no idea what you mean, I started a post which was my considered opinion of what might happen this new season.  Whether you or anyone else agrees with it is neither here or there.  Of course it is there to be discussed and people will voice their own opinions, but when someone says I am moronic, I take offence to that and will reply in kind.  I have been supporting Town for 71 years now, and have always backed them to the hilt, and nothing in my post says anything different, it just requires people to read it carefully and then pass their opinions if they so wish.  

Reply: 51 - 58
Croxton
June 26, 2022, 9:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 123614

I've no idea what you mean, I started a post which was my considered opinion of what might happen this new season.  Whether you or anyone else agrees with it is neither here or there.  Of course it is there to be discussed and people will voice their own opinions, but when someone says I am moronic, I take offence to that and will reply in kind.  I have been supporting Town for 71 years now, and have always backed them to the hilt, and nothing in my post says anything different, it just requires people to read it carefully and then pass their opinions if they so wish.  

Your sentiments were echoed in other posts without the same pile ons of red crosses. Seems personal invective more related to previous threads perhaps? This is where Twitter and Fishy merge into The Twishy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
RonMariner
June 26, 2022, 10:13am

Special Brew Drinker
I think we should comfortably be a L1 club given our support base. The odd thing is though, that we have only been in L1 for five season in the last 42 years. And then only stayed there for a single season each time, being promoted three times and relegated twice.

On the other hand we were in the second tier for 18 seasons between 1981 and 2003. You could say that we were punching above our weight being up there, but that is one hell of long time to be sustaining a presence there so maybe, if well run, we can realistically aspire to further spells in the Championship at some point in the not too distant future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
White_shorts
June 30, 2022, 3:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
FFS its DIVISION 4 not the champions league, get a grip.

Exactly.  We should be pushing for promotion again.

It annoys the fook out of me that the likes of Accrington, Burton, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, FGR and Morecambe are in League One ahead of us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
grimps
June 30, 2022, 4:22pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 46
I think we’re gonna get promoted every season and I expect when the club are assembling a squad in pre season and asking for season ticket sales that the squad should be capable of this.

That being said last season was the first we’re I don’t believe we’d go up so it shows how much I know 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
June 30, 2022, 6:00pm
Guest User
"Tread carefully" is good advice for life (these days), but after careful consideration I'm of the opinion we're going up.

The signings we've made look 'on the money' to me.
Reply: 56 - 58
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2022, 6:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from White_shorts

Exactly.  We should be pushing for promotion again.

It annoys the fook out of me that the likes of Accrington, Burton, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, FGR and Morecambe are in League One ahead of us.

It doesn’t annoy me and looking at their differing journeys to get there it doesn’t surprise me either.

I think the ambition every season should be to sustainably get out of the league where in. Aspire to what you like but conquering the immediate challenge needs to be the focus.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Heswall Mariner
June 30, 2022, 9:44pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +586
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from 123614

Don't take the bait Bear. I have been an avid fan since 1957 - 65 years. Ignore the red crosses - we know stuff so keep on posting my son. xx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We should tread carefully

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.