4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
hampshiremariner
June 24, 2022, 7:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,056
Gold Stars: 35
He had a great season and it is excellent that we have him for another two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
June 24, 2022, 8:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
The league 2 James Milner, a good contract renewal

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
HertsGTFC
June 24, 2022, 8:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Good news!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Oly1987
June 24, 2022, 8:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from toontown
Damn good news,so hard working and versatile, and I think the fact he is coveted at league 1 level whe  we've just come from the conference shows how he can be a bit underrated by some fans. Has been consistently amongst our very best players for 2 years now.

How many years with us will this 2 year deal take him to?

Signed his first pro deal in July 2015 so that would take him to 9 years with us, and he was in the youth system before that. And even at the end of the 2 years he'll only be 26! He keeps that engine of his in good condition he could get close to John Mcdermott in terms of years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
Poojah
June 24, 2022, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,475
Gold Stars: 1,500
This is great news, firstly in that we have retained a really good player. For me, Harry’s a player who had a hard time truly cracking on in a succession of poor Town teams, ever since breaking into the side under Jolley.

He has, however, been superb this season and I suspect even better than most fans (myself included) appreciate and realise. So much of his game is about off the ball work which tends to go unnoticed by crowds, but not managers and recruitment teams, underlined by Forest Green’s interest. Few players outside the elite level will have covered more yards than Harry this season.

But the biggest thing about this news for me is symbolic. Here, we had a player that we wanted to retain, who was wanted by richer clubs at a higher level. And yet we’ve been able to keep him not only through both being financially competitive, but also by being a place where the player actually wants to pursue this career when given other, attractive choices.

This is significant news, in broader ways than might be immediately apparent.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
louth_in_the_south
June 24, 2022, 8:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
It’s like 3 new signings on account of Clifton’s versatility.

Great news.

It’s not often I agree with you but I actually gave you a tick . This positivity around the club knows no bounds .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
DB
June 24, 2022, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,998
Gold Stars: 386

Always thought he would stay, Grimsby Town through and through.

Local boy comes good and credit to him.  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
codcheeky
June 24, 2022, 9:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
While Fox shone in the play off games,  over the season Clifton has been the more consistent and played in nearly every game.  His resilience, work rate, versatility and commitment would have left a massive hole had he left.
One of our own and really glad he’s signed up.
UTM
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Maringer
June 24, 2022, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,488
Gold Stars: 185
Hard-working, fit as a fiddle, versatile and reliable. His poor performances were few and far between last season.

Pleased he's staying with us but I have to admit I hope he's not pencilled in to be on the left wing again this season. He won't let you down when playing there, but I'd prefer to see a more natural attacking and left-footed player on that side.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
MuddyWaters
June 24, 2022, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from codcheeky
While Fox shone in the play off games,  over the season Clifton has been the more consistent and played in nearly every game.  His resilience, work rate, versatility and commitment would have left a massive hole had he left.
One of our own and really glad he’s signed up.
UTM

It’s great news without doubt although you might be doing Ben Fox a bit of a disservice. He played several games in the McAtee role which was well outside his comfort zone, and, having watched the playoff games back, I’m in no doubt that Fox was the reason we got over the line.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clifton staying

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.