4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
May 24, 2022, 11:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Based on what I have seen, I would not take any County player over a Town player.

This taken from the Notts forum

"We just did not seem “at it” from the get go and in fairness Grimsby got their tactics spot on which is to stop us playing football. They pressed us well and gave us no space. They forced mistakes and errors from us in our own half which then put us under pressure. We tried to get the ball down the channels but in the final third the weight of our passes were to heavy on occasions so came to nothing. Or we were picked off. There were a number of occasions where we were a kick or pass from going on the counter attack but it broke down or we were too slow. Too many crosses were allowed into our box and we let them run at us from the halfway line to the edge of our box without putting a tackle in. At times we looked like we lacked energy and as though Grimsby had an extra player. At one point it looked inevitable that Grimsby would score first. After we scored the penalty that was our chance to be ruthless and go on and finish the job and put the game to bed but we couldn’t and instead it was a repeat of what we’ve seen before this season whereby we got pushed further and further back and ultimately collapsed and could not see the game out. The first half of extra time was about the best we played the entire game.

There are no complaints from me we’ve never looked the deal all season and we have lacked the aggression, leadership and character and mental toughness required to be champions or to get promoted.

[/b]Grimsby’s tactics were as old as the hills high balls over the defence and behind into space, cross field balls from RB or LB into space behind and putting into the ball into the box and into the mix from set pieces. Much the same as the Cowleys and Mr Yer Know (Paul Cox) the classic way teams at this level win games and have got out of this league. Coupled with that aggression. There was about one or two players who would get in the Notts team, but Paul Hursts team are the ones in the semi final just like Gary Johnson’s team got to the final last season.[b]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
RonMariner
May 24, 2022, 12:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
One or two town players that would get into the Notts team?????

I wonder which game he was watching last night?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
mariner91
May 24, 2022, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,621
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from The Yard Dog

[/b]Grimsby’s tactics were as old as the hills high balls over the defence and behind into space, cross field balls from RB or LB into space behind and putting into the ball into the box and into the mix from set pieces. Much the same as the Cowleys and Mr Yer Know (Paul Cox) the classic way teams at this level win games and have got out of this league. Coupled with that aggression. There was about one or two players who would get in the Notts team, but Paul Hursts team are the ones in the semi final just like Gary Johnson’s team got to the final last season.[b]

Nothing quite like rose tinted specs! I'd have taken a maximum of two of their players in our starting line up (Chicksen and Rodrigues). We also played through their midfield virtually all game. I can't remember a single time they played through us, just went with long balls down the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
aldi_01
May 24, 2022, 5:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What a bell sniff.

We’ve literally played the exact style and shape against them twice and they didn’t figure it out either time and have conceded carbon copy goals.

If they think the way we play is long ball then they’ve never seen a long ball team…

They lad that got MOM for them was dreadful and in truth, the only way they were gonna get something was a dodgy decision which they duly got…

Last night was probably the best thing experience I’ve had as a town fan, barring the obvious games, but scoring two last minute goals that mattered like that, the performance, the fans, everything…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
FishOutOfWater
May 24, 2022, 5:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Me and my lads all woken up high as kites still. Fox was clear man of the match but Erico Sousa deserves huge credit. Who thought he'd play 120 minutes and he did his defensive work brilliantly. Might have still been the lack of end product but he got us up the pitch and put them on the backfoot especially in extra time. Just been on a Notts forum and someone was saying they should tey to buy him to bring some steel to their midfield  

Me and my lad ( CatchOfTheDay ) called in to a McDs to get coffees on the way out of Nottingham and there were a few of their fans in there giving us a bit of a begrudging eye

I can sympathise having seen us lose to them in the last minute at home and then having to share a train with them celebrating their win

While we were wating for our order in there however a guy with official Notts County garb came in and said to us how well we'd played and that we deserved it

He gave particular reference to both Ben Fox and to Erico Sousa saying they ran the show for us.... hard to disagree with that

Not sure who he might have been to be honest but he said he'd played at this level for Mansfield and still had contact with Liam Hearn

Nice to have been able to have a chat with someone who appreciated our game and our team for what it is - really good for this level and just too good for his boys on the night

#UTM #ATAW

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 38
HertsGTFC
May 24, 2022, 6:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
There are a few clubs in this league who have an annoying sense of entitlement in regard to getting out of this league and Notts County now fall into this bracket.

If their side are that good how come they finished 5th, everyone touts their manager as some kind of coaching genius but that’s twice now we’ve done a job on them in pretty much the same manner.

Not relative to last night and I may be wrong here but didn’t Whooton end up there because Hurst thought he had a bad attitude when he was in charge of the Scunthorpe?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
jamesgtfc
May 24, 2022, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,953
Gold Stars: 190
I couldn't watch their brand of football every week. It makes me so anxious watching a team constantly take short goal kicks. Maybe I'm old fashioned but keep it simple in your own half and then start taking risks.

We aren't long ball, I think we are a mixture of patient and direct.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Poojah
May 24, 2022, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,473
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from aldi_01
Last night was probably the best thing experience I’ve had as a town fan, barring the obvious games, but scoring two last minute goals that mattered like that, the performance, the fans, everything…

Funny you say that, because you looked a sea of calm and tranquility to me. Like zen personified.

Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone clear 14 steps in a tenth of a second like that before, so last night really was a night of firsts in so many ways.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
ginnywings
May 24, 2022, 7:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,104
Gold Stars: 548
What PH did was negate the strongest part of their team, which is the front three, who have scored 50 odd goals between them. Pressed them high and didn't give them time to develop attacks and get their goalscorers in dangerous positions with time and space.

It's not always a good thing to have most of your goal threat up front, because if they can be contained, you are half way there.

I suspect they don't score a lot of scruffy goals like we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
Poojah
May 24, 2022, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,473
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from ginnywings
What PH did was negate the strongest part of their team, which is the front three, who have scored 50 odd goals between them. Pressed them high and didn't give them time to develop attacks and get their goalscorers in dangerous positions with time and space.

It's not always a good thing to have most of your goal threat up front, because if they can be contained, you are half way there.

I suspect they don't score a lot of scruffy goals like we did.

Sounds like their own club doctor negated Callum Roberts for us. Whoopsie!

Quoted Text
I'd just like to address some of the fans who are now calling me injury prone again. Before the game I took an injection to get me through 120 minutes of football. Unfortunately, this didn't go to plan and numbed my whole leg and foot which meant I wasn't able to run and kick properly.

https://www.nottinghampost.com.....-roberts-7120977.amp

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last Night

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.