Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neutral fans at big games
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 146 Guests

Neutral fans at big games

This thread currently has 1,378 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
May 19, 2022, 3:25am
Guest User
Entitled:  "The closer your football team gets to glory, the less likely you are to get a ticket. That can’t be right."

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....eutral-adrian-chiles

Who cares enough about the real fans for this to change?
aldi_01
May 19, 2022, 6:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Nobody, it’s always been the case. For a while now anyway, it’s frustrating and must be annoying for fans of those clubs.

It doesn’t make any sense to me in some ways; those ‘general release’ or ‘neutral tickets’ are the same price as club tickets, they’d sell them if they handed them to the clubs so I don’t see the point. Corporate I get, they make a ton of cash from corporate but the others, just sell them to fans.

I guess they’re not really arsed and atmosphere means nothing to the big wigs.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 19, 2022, 7:01am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,989
Gold Stars: 285
Quoted from 137
Entitled:  "The closer your football team gets to glory, the less likely you are to get a ticket. That can’t be right."

I always think that there's a touch of naivety or trying to turn back the clock to a sepia tinted past in these kinds of articles.

In modern football money talks and the higher you go up the louder it shouts.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
Gaffer58
May 19, 2022, 2:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
A bit like all major cup finals, FA Cup, European ones and world cups etc, the clubs involved are lucky to get about 50% of the ground because the rest goes to corporate advertisers etc, but come the actual game the ground is full of the 2 clubs supporters, someone is making a nice little earner, and as usual the true fans have to pay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Son of Cod
May 19, 2022, 2:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from 137

Agree with the sentiment of the article, but you can tell it was written before last night's match in Seville because it was rammed with Rangers and Frankfurt fans. They must have found ways of getting their hands on those corporate tickets somehow. Probably by paying through the nose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
bradzmilne
May 19, 2022, 3:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
I went to the FA Cup final last weekend. I felt like a right fraud.

It was a decent spectacle and the standard of football was very high however there was something not overly pleasant about sitting in a neutral area while so many proper fans missed out.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
lee65
May 19, 2022, 3:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Classic "Football Family" rhetoric approach  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Limerick Mariner
May 19, 2022, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,554
Gold Stars: 133
Haven't watched a Cup Final in years or a whole Premier League game. I've watched more football minutes on TV (League 2 on ifollow and National League on BT) in the last 2 seasons than any football on TV in the previous 20 years put together. Even if we go up I think I'll be tuning into the National League - hopefully Scunthorpe's Braintree moment will be televised...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Maringer
May 19, 2022, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Back in Euro 2004, I went with some friends to Portugal for a couple of weeks. We'd got tickets for 3 games in the ballots and, while we were there, bought another 3 tickets outside the two grounds in Porto (the Police weren't bothered about the touting going on). The additional games involved Denmark, Greece and Sweden and all the tickets had the names of those respective Associations stamped on them as the owners. We bought them from Portuguese people on the streets so somebody at those F.A.'s had sold off their courtesy tickets earlier on. Not sure if the same thing would go on in the modern era given the anti-corruption stuff which has gone on within UEFA and FIFA, but it makes the Corporate stuff seem almost honest in comparison.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
aldi_01
May 19, 2022, 5:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
Back in Euro 2004, I went with some friends to Portugal for a couple of weeks. We'd got tickets for 3 games in the ballots and, while we were there, bought another 3 tickets outside the two grounds in Porto (the Police weren't bothered about the touting going on). The additional games involved Denmark, Greece and Sweden and all the tickets had the names of those respective Associations stamped on them as the owners. We bought them from Portuguese people on the streets so somebody at those F.A.'s had sold off their courtesy tickets earlier on. Not sure if the same thing would go on in the modern era given the anti-corruption stuff which has gone on within UEFA and FIFA, but it makes the Corporate stuff seem almost honest in comparison.

I think you know the answer to this…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neutral fans at big games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.