Grimal
May 20, 2022, 7:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from aldi_01
Have the finished building Bostons yet? I remember the floodlights fell down when it was windy about a year or so ago.

Worked with a Boston fan, he was most certainly not complimentary about the new ground nor its location…

Either way, whoever comes up means another relatively near away day…

Not finished the development yet, the last stand at one end has just started to be built, it's a great stadium for a lower league club and is a credit to their excellent owner. There was only one of the floodlights blown down, not sure if all were replaced or all reinforced. I'm hoping The Pilgrims win on Saturday as I lived in the town for 45 yrs and the first 10yrs only 100 yrds from the York street ground. I do agree though that York would make for a better away day experience. Good luck to both clubs and what will be will be.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 60
TownSNAFU5
May 21, 2022, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Big build up to the match n York today.  York  have been dire for a few years but still get very good home gates and have a large away following.  Great credit to them as there is rugby and many Leeds fans in the city. A club and fans can often by judged by their impressive away following over time.

They are very similar to us and have had the same (poor) owner for some 15 years.  Hence 2 relegations to NL - same as us.

The Shop has scored vital goals in the playoffs but is injured.  Not expected to play today but you never know.  Ironic if he is out as John Lewis store is 200 yards from the ground and has closed.

I think the home fans will get them over the line.  John Askey has won promotion in NL.  On the other hand York have not beaten Boston for 3 years.    

One York fan has been to most away games for years.  His daughter is getting married today and he will miss the match.  He asked her if he could go to the game.  The reply is not printable!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 60
Poojah
May 21, 2022, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Big build up to the match n York today.  York  have been dire for a few years but still get very good home gates and have a large away following.  Great credit to them as there is rugby and many Leeds fans in the city. A club and fans can often by judged by their impressive away following over time.

They are very similar to us and have had the same (poor) owner for some 15 years.  Hence 2 relegations to NL - same as us.

The Shop has scored vital goals in the playoffs but is injured.  Not expected to play today but you never know.  Ironic if he is out as John Lewis store is 200 yards from the ground and has closed.

I think the home fans will get them over the line.  John Askey has won promotion in NL.  On the other hand York have not beaten Boston for 3 years.    

One York fan has been to most away games for years.  His daughter is getting married today and he will miss the match.  He asked her if he could go to the game.  The reply is not printable!

The best friend of my then girlfriend, now wife, got married in Pembrokeshire in south west Wales on the 8th May 2010; the day of that Burton game.

We drove down on the Friday night, a 7 hour drive, on the assumption that I was doing the right thing in missing one of Town’s biggest games in the club’s history.

Around 7am the next morning, I ‘nipped out for a paper’ and returned some 16 hours later. My phone, having been turned off for the duration, had received something like 174 missed calls.

Suffice to say the 7 hour drive back home the following day was not fun in the slightest.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 60
Abdul19
May 21, 2022, 11:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Hope York go up so I can visit some cracking boozers, including the one at the bowling alley next to the new ground.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 60
DaleH
May 21, 2022, 12:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +791
Gold Stars: 167
Very best of luck to Boston United. It is a really well run club that I spent a number of years working at as a coach, and I enjoyed my time there,

The new ground and training facilities are first class, and have been financed by the nearby out of town development that involves retail, hospitality and housing. David and Neil are good owners that have built a very sustainable business model for the club.

Hope they win today

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 60
devs
May 21, 2022, 1:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Come on Boston
My nearest 'major' club from home - only 18 miles
If GTFC don't go up then it's a 30 min jaunt down there for away game

Stadium is superb - chairman David Newton was great to me when I was sports editor at Boston Standard; top bloke

If York do it then another relatively close away day - win, win!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 60
Grimal
May 21, 2022, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Good luck to both teams but I do hope Boston win.It will be great for the town as they don't have much to be cheerful about these days.Even the old Gliderdrome is up for sale,had many fantastic nights there back in my younger days,might I add  dancing and listening to some great gigs,  no not playing bingo  .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 60
dapperz fun pub
May 21, 2022, 1:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Prefer not to have to play either of them next season but if we do I’d prefer York in august / sept away , a much better day on the urine imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 60
Grimal
May 21, 2022, 1:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Prefer not to have to play either of them next season but if we do I’d prefer York in august / sept away , a much better day on the urine imo

I can't get my head around this "much better day on the urine",surely we can go on the lash to York any time.
Now lets talk about a day out in Boston, one and a half hours gridlocked on the John Adams Way taking in the wonderful views and witnessing the local culture, now that must be a much more enjoyable and educational matchday experience  .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 60
TownSNAFU5
May 21, 2022, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
John Lewis fit to start.  Along with McLaughlin , so another Town link.  Old stager Clayton Donaldson also starts for York.

Boston sold their 900 tickets allocated and could have sold more.  The crowd today could have reached 12,000 if the new ground was bigger.  Outstanding support after 5 seasons in National North.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boston united

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.