3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
May 16, 2022, 10:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
Ok, so they didn't make it to the final after losing tonight. But last time we were in the National League I remember they failed in the play offs three times before finally making it out in 2014.

The point is that in 8 years they have gone from conference football to a Championship play off. It shows what can be done.

I firmly believe that we have the potential, and the ambition, to achieve a very similar positive trajectory. It may take a few years, as it has with Luton, but I don't see any reason why we cant aspire to getting into the Championship again eventually.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
May 17, 2022, 6:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Luton learned from their mistakes, got back in the league and haven’t really looked back. We didn’t. We did the same things as last time and look where it got us.

Things could be different, will be different this time but has to be one step at a time. We’re in the playoffs at the first time of asking so anything is possible.

There are a handful of clubs we can use to create our model and when we get back in the league, we can build on those things and move forward, and ensure we never find ourselves in on league again…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2022, 8:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,244
Gold Stars: 295
If we're in a Championship play play off in 8 years time we need to build statues of Stockwood and Petit and carry them shoulder high through the town.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Mariner Timsky
May 17, 2022, 8:59am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Probably easier to carry the guys themselves than lugging the statues around the town  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
diehardmariner
May 17, 2022, 9:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
For anyone who thinks we can't mirror that level of progress...

Luton as a unitary authority has a population of approx. 220,000 and is less than 20 miles from the M25 and all the big city clubs within it.  It's on excellent train links to the capital, for example a trip from Luton station to the Emirates can be done comfortably in under an hour with pretty much constant frequency. West Ham, Chelsea, Tottenham can all be done in just over an hour.  

It's also less than 20 miles from Watford, a historically much larger club with a yo-yo like promotion/relegation from the top flight in recent years.  Also nearby are Stevenage, Cambridge and even Milton Keynes, all league clubs that are closer than our nearest teams in the top 6 tiers of the English game.    

North East Lincolnshire, with the borders that pretty much stop at Laceby to the south so not counting Caistor, Louth etc. (all areas we should consider as within our catchment area), has a population of approx 160,000.  So just over two-thirds.  Our nearest rival team is Scunthorpe, a 45 minute drive away for a side in the same division.   Next are Lincoln and Hull, both over an hour away driving.  Train routes are so poor that it's not even worth considering the time factor for either of the 3 aforementioned teams.  After that Doncaster, the Sheffield clubs, Leeds....you can add a 3 hour round journey if you want to go and watch any of those teams.

The fact we're isolated can be a hindrance but it can also be a benefit too.  Realistically we shouldn't lose much of our local fan base to other sides in the area.   I know we're going off topic a bit but the potential in this area is huge.  The biggest constraint to our progress will forever be Blundell Park, as Kenilworth Road will be for Luton.   I fully understand the 1878 approach that whilst the gates are rarely at capacity there's little point in investing too much in extra.  But the longer we're constrained, the longer we'll flounder.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
ncfc_chalky
May 17, 2022, 10:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
Think yourselves lucky if your nearest competition for supporters is 45 mins away,I've never known us to be in a league above Forest and I'm sixty years old,for every Notts shirt you see on the high street you will see five Forest shirts and things will only get worst if Forest gain promotion to the Premier League such is the pulling power of the greed league,what teenager will want to watch NL clubs if they can wait a week and watch top six clubs instead,if Forest go up (and I've a horrible feeling about it) then reds will be strutting around like peacocks for at least the next 12 months
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2022, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Probably easier to carry the guys themselves than lugging the statues around the town  

It's all in the punctuation  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2022, 11:26am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
Think yourselves lucky if your nearest competition for supporters is 45 mins away,I've never known us to be in a league above Forest and I'm sixty years old,for every Notts shirt you see on the high street you will see five Forest shirts and things will only get worst if Forest gain promotion to the Premier League such is the pulling power of the greed league,what teenager will want to watch NL clubs if they can wait a week and watch top six clubs instead, if Forest go up (and I've a horrible feeling about it) then reds will be strutting around like peacocks for at least the next 12 months

Things go in cycles....

I was a student in Nottingham and lived there for 10 years in total. I've watched Notts play in the top division (John Chiedozie et al) and was in the ground when Bayern obliterated Forest (7-0 I think) in what turned out to be their last ever game in Europe.

There will always be highs and always be lows.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Les Brechin
May 17, 2022, 11:52am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Luton boss not happy with Huddesfield fans.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/spor.....r-AAXlUF9?li=AAnZ9Ug

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2022, 12:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Luton boss not happy with Huddesfield fans.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/spor.....r-AAXlUF9?li=AAnZ9Ug

"we won't complain.." he said, before going on to complain for another 2 paragraphs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.