5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2022, 11:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
I seem to remember we had about a lot of players and loanee's, so did a check on where some are now, and if you actually remember them....

Jake Eastwood - If i remember correctly, he was very good - played once for Portsmouth, and Twice for Rochdale since - Would be a good first choice keeper in the future IMO
Luke Hendrie - Went to Hartlepool, then left them for Bradford, Looks like a regular starter for Bradford.
Elliot Hewitt - Went to Mansfield, then the infamous comment from Clough come out 'I think Elliott Hewitt used to play at Grimsby with the lad that scored and made the third goal, and he’s obviously very good friends with him because he’s not tackled him all game' but still been a regular for majority of season.
Pollock - Wen't to Watford, loaned to Cheltenham, and got Young player of the year, exciting times ahead for him! Still only 20, and played around 80 senior games already
Menayese - Went to Walsall, Played majority of games
Idehen - Wen't to Bristol City, and recently got a new contract - Weirdly, i don't remember him as standing out, but i guess playing for a terrible team didn't help, but seems well off Pollock, despite only being a year younger
Habergham - Signed for 'Penisula Power' in Australia in Feb this year
Danny Rose - I forgot, but he's still our player.....
George Williams - Wen't to Barrow, Looks to have played first 15/20 games, mainly from the bench, before another injury - He always looked to be a player, but at same time, looked crap, i think his FGR reputation of being good is carrying him along now
Morais - Once eventually released, he retired
Matete - Went back and become a regular for Fleetwood, before being sold to Sunderland, Started majority up until the play-offs, a bright spark during his time here
Kyle Bennett - Ended up at Telford, then released and signed for Hednesford - Say no more.
El Mizouni - Back to Ipswich and mainly played in cup games for them. They extended his contract until 2024 - I think i only remember him because of his name, no idea if he was any good
Lamy - Ended up in Cyprus, still only 22, one i wouldn't of minded giving a go in non-league
Joe Adams - Went back to Brentford, before being sold to Dundalk - I'm sure he come with big potential from Brentford fans
Green - Went to Linfield, now at Gloucester - For some reason, i seem to remember his exit from Linfield was because of him being a bit naughty, but can't find anything on the old google.
Hanson - Went to Farsley Celtic, then Boston
Montel Gibson - The superstar was released from Stourbridge for being a pri(k again, and ended up back at Ilkeston
Ira Jackson - Plays for Wealdstone, had has scored 3 goals this season.... Remember some being gutted he left, mainly because he was a nice guy
Sisay - Went to 'Haverfordwest' in south wales... some signing that
Payne - Went to Chesterfield, then loaded to Havant & Waterloovile
Danny Preston - Has much to my surprise, ended up at Alfreton in the league below, i remember him being a good LB, and only 21?
Bunney - Went to Altrincham, then Warrington Rylands
Ohman - Back to Sweden, 1st for Falkenbergs, now at Vasalunds
Windsor - Loaded to Newport then Carlisle, now released from West Brom - never seems to play
Bohsni - Mr 'I Ain't Leavin', Wen't on to Barnet, then was due to sign for Dungannon, but ended up in Saudi Arabia, then did eventually sign for Dungannon this year.... apparently
Owura Edwards - Had loans at Exeter & Colchester. didnt do too much at Exeter, but Colchester fans seemed to think he was ok
Tilley - Went to Crawley, played a lot, then all of a sudden went to Dorking on loan, but back playing regularly at Crawley, i think the loan move was due to a crazy manager at the time.
Terry Taylor - Signed for Burton on a permanent, they seem to really rate him, but i don't remember him being up to much.
James Morton - Went on loan to Gillingham, played once, coming on as a sub in the 91st minute...
Virgil Gomis - Ended up back in France after being released by Forest.

That's 30 (Ignoring Rose) players that played a part last season, that are no longer with us..... Incredible

Cured my boredom for a while anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
MaccasBoots
May 12, 2022, 12:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +669
Gold Stars: 23
Thanks for this Jarmo, really interesting read. From what I remember, El Mizouni was a decent little number 10, who was pretty good at operating in tight spaces but lacked a final ball/finish sometimes. Think he could have been a decent back up for McAtee this season, but maybe I'm looking through rose tinted glasses...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
Hagrid
May 12, 2022, 12:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,331
Gold Stars: 526
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Thanks for this Jarmo, really interesting read. From what I remember, El Mizouni was a decent little number 10, who was pretty good at operating in tight spaces but lacked a final ball/finish sometimes. Think he could have been a decent back up for McAtee this season, but maybe I'm looking through rose tinted glasses...

im sure he only played 1 game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
Son of Cod
May 12, 2022, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,327
Gold Stars: 196
Great stuff that, Jarmo. Cheers! I knew a bit of that but certainly not all of it. Didn't realise Danny Preston was at Alfreton either, he definitely looked decent at times but he was the one that tired throughout the season wasn't he? Struggled to last 90 mins and his performances dropped?

Also apologies in advance at the risk of saying something libellous, but didn't Matt Green have a slash against a monument or something when he was out on the beers? Or did I dream/imagine that?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2022, 12:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
Great stuff that, Jarmo. Cheers! I knew a bit of that but certainly not all of it. Didn't realise Danny Preston was at Alfreton either, he definitely looked decent at times but he was the one that tired throughout the season wasn't he? Struggled to last 90 mins and his performances dropped?

Also apologies in advance at the risk of saying something libellous, but didn't Matt Green have a slash against a monument or something when he was out on the beers? Or did I dream/imagine that?!

Think you're right about Preston.
Just had a search of his name, very much mixed views on him whilst he was here, but surprised dropped to Alfreton.

Not sure on Green, just seem to remember him doing something, and they released him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
mariner91
May 12, 2022, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,553
Gold Stars: 259
I thought Preston was awful personally. So many of our goals conceded came from his side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
RonMariner
May 12, 2022, 12:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,533
Gold Stars: 224
Still sends shivers down the spine, and not in a good way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 12, 2022, 1:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,154
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from Son of Cod

I think you've confused Matt Green with Ozzy Osbourne. But it's understandable.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
LH
May 12, 2022, 1:26pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,460
Gold Stars: 172
I know I watched most of these players through my telly only but there’s some I genuinely can’t remember.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
Rodley Mariner
May 12, 2022, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,237
Gold Stars: 176
Yeah Danny Preston was miles off it. Sisay must be in with a shout for the worst signing ever title though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 12, 2022, 1:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,154
Gold Stars: 289
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Yeah Danny Preston was miles off it. Sisay must be in with a shout for the worst signing ever title though?

Hmm...he'd have some serious competition for that title. Yes, I'm looking at you Barry Conlon. And Geoff Stephenson. And Peter Beagrie..........

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Les Brechin
May 12, 2022, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I've been watching Town since 1972 and in my opinion the worst signing ever was Mickael Antione Currier.

I can't believe he went on to have such a successful career in Scotland.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Abdul19
May 12, 2022, 2:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
Sisay must be in with a shout for the worst signing ever title though?

Is it true that when he made his 1 league appearance, his shirt had no name on?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Kris2
May 12, 2022, 2:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
The worst team I've ever had the displeasure of watching for a season. Some of these signings were just bizarre, players who had not played regular football in years, players from obscure leagues and a zillion loans to pad it out. The fact we are talking about Danny Preston being one of the better players on the list says it all really.

Jay Matete had a lot of potential and actually wanted to win, sometimes a bit too much and got himself sent off. Had he reined in that getting too excited he could have probably kept us up by himself. Remember George Williams coming with a reputation of being decent and was mostly rubbish, couldn't take a corner to save his life but somehow his weird corners would occasionally pay off because nobody expected it to be that bad  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Hagrid
May 12, 2022, 2:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,331
Gold Stars: 526
Quoted from Abdul19

Is it true that when he made his 1 league appearance, his shirt had no name on?!

thats right, away at Southend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Abdul19
May 12, 2022, 2:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,504
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Hagrid

thats right, away at Southend

Christ, sums it up.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2022, 2:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Just had a good look back at this, of the 30 players no longer here, i would only be happy if we re-signed 4 maybe 5
Eastwood
Pollock
Matete
Owura Edwards
Tilley

The rest, well, you know....
Edwards & Tilley are there because i was being generous as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2022, 3:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I seem to remember we had about a lot of players and loanee's, so did a check on where some are now, and if you actually remember them....

Jake Eastwood - If i remember correctly, he was very good - played once for Portsmouth, and Twice for Rochdale since - Would be a good first choice keeper in the future IMO
Luke Hendrie - Went to Hartlepool, then left them for Bradford, Looks like a regular starter for Bradford.
Elliot Hewitt - Went to Mansfield, then the infamous comment from Clough come out 'I think Elliott Hewitt used to play at Grimsby with the lad that scored and made the third goal, and he’s obviously very good friends with him because he’s not tackled him all game' but still been a regular for majority of season.
Pollock - Wen't to Watford, loaned to Cheltenham, and got Young player of the year, exciting times ahead for him! Still only 20, and played around 80 senior games already
Idehen - Wen't to Bristol City, and recently got a new contract - Weirdly, i don't remember him as standing out, but i guess playing for a terrible team didn't help, but seems well off Pollock, despite only being a year younger
Danny Rose - I forgot, but he's still our player..... They think it's all over.... It is now
George Williams - Wen't to Barrow, Looks to have played first 15/20 games, mainly from the bench, before another injury - He always looked to be a player, but at same time, looked crap, i think his FGR reputation of being good is carrying him along now
Matete - Went back and become a regular for Fleetwood, before being sold to Sunderland, Started majority up until the play-offs, a bright spark during his time here
Kyle Bennett - Ended up at Telford, then released and signed for Hednesford - Say no more.
El Mizouni - Back to Ipswich and mainly played in cup games for them. They extended his contract until 2024 - I think i only remember him because of his name, no idea if he was any good
Lamy - Ended up in Cyprus, still only 22, one i wouldn't of minded giving a go in non-league
Joe Adams - Went back to Brentford, before being sold to Dundalk - I'm sure he come with big potential from Brentford fans
Green - Went to Linfield, now at Gloucester - For some reason, i seem to remember his exit from Linfield was because of him being a bit naughty, but can't find anything on the old google.
Montel Gibson - The superstar was released from Stourbridge for being a pri(k again, and ended up back at Ilkeston
Ira Jackson - Plays for Wealdstone, had has scored 3 goals this season.... Remember some being gutted he left, mainly because he was a nice guy
Danny Preston - Has much to my surprise, ended up at Alfreton in the league below, i remember him being a good LB, and only 21?
Windsor - Loaded to Newport then Carlisle, now released from West Brom - never seems to play
Bohsni - Mr 'I Ain't Leavin', Wen't on to Barnet, then was due to sign for Dungannon, but ended up in Saudi Arabia, then did eventually sign for Dungannon this year.... apparently
Owura Edwards - Had loans at Exeter & Colchester. didnt do too much at Exeter, but Colchester fans seemed to think he was ok
Tilley - Went to Crawley, played a lot, then all of a sudden went to Dorking on loan, but back playing regularly at Crawley, i think the loan move was due to a crazy manager at the time.
Terry Taylor - Signed for Burton on a permanent, they seem to really rate him, but i don't remember him being up to much.
James Morton - Went on loan to Gillingham, played once, coming on as a sub in the 91st minute...

That's 30 (Ignoring Rose) players that played a part last season, that are no longer with us..... Incredible

Make that 31, bye Rose, its been a pleasure, i've amended accordingly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
gtfc_chris
May 12, 2022, 3:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 114
Looking at that list I'd be interested to know what Edwards contract status is and wouldn't be unimpressed if we had a look at Windsor again in this side.

I think Windsor sometimes flattered to deceive but had moments where he showed he perhaps has something to offer. If Edwards is out of contract then I'd definitely like to see him here. I know he was a little Sousa-ish at times, wanting to do a little extra when it wasn't needed and not always getting the right ball across, but given he's younger than Sousa I think he has that room for finishing off his game and I think PH would be an ideal manager to help him do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Mayaman
May 12, 2022, 3:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,392
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Just had a good look back at this, of the 30 players no longer here, i would only be happy if we re-signed 4 maybe 5
Eastwood
Pollock
Matete
Owura Edwards
Tilley

The rest, well, you know....
Edwards & Tilley are there because i was being generous as well

wasn't Tilley bone idle?  I seem to remember him for his lack of effort and was glad he went.  Showed class at times though but I can't stand people who can't be arsed to put a shift in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
sonofmadeleymariner
May 12, 2022, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,452
Gold Stars: 37
I had to really really tjink who some of those players were they left that little of an impression only a season ago

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
Kris2
May 12, 2022, 3:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Looking at that list I'd be interested to know what Edwards contract status is and wouldn't be unimpressed if we had a look at Windsor again in this side.

I think Windsor sometimes flattered to deceive but had moments where he showed he perhaps has something to offer. If Edwards is out of contract then I'd definitely like to see him here. I know he was a little Sousa-ish at times, wanting to do a little extra when it wasn't needed and not always getting the right ball across, but given he's younger than Sousa I think he has that room for finishing off his game and I think PH would be an ideal manager to help him do that.

Edwards was one of the few bright spots in the early season, good on the ball but a young lad still finding his way in first team football. Doubt we would have got him normally, Holloway got him and Morton on mates rates then when he was gone they wanted money and recalled them when we wouldn't pay. Mostly remember Edwards for doing Ben Tozer 2-3 times in a row making him so mad that he stamped on him.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
nightrider
May 12, 2022, 3:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Surprised.  One of the worst players who hasn't had a mention was our current centre back
I would have thought the team that finished the season, relegated, was far better than our current crop. Granted, it lacked McAtee but that's it? What were we in the form table, top half

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
Jarmo.Is.God
May 12, 2022, 4:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from nightrider
Surprised.  One of the worst players who hasn't had a mention was our current centre back
I would have thought the team that finished the season, relegated, was far better than our current crop. Granted, it lacked McAtee but that's it? What were we in the form table, top half

I did it on players that left, hence no Waterfall.

I'm not sure if i'm reading your message correctly, but you believe last seasons team is 'far better' than this one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
ginnywings
May 12, 2022, 7:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Wow!

I'd just sat down to eat my tea when I opened this thread and by the time I got to the end of the first post, I had put down my knife and fork, baked beans were spilling off my plate onto my lap, and my jaw had literally dropped, all without me being aware.

What were Holloway and the board thinking? I know he was a charlatan but surely even he knew that signing all those duff players and loanees was a recipe for disaster. Those three "strikers" he signed from lower leagues were nowhere near the standard required, and he gave one of them a 3 year deal FFS.

This is my 50th season supporting Town and they are without doubt the worst set of players I have ever seen, and they have had some competition for that accolade over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
toontown
May 12, 2022, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,246
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mayaman

wasn't Tilley bone idle?  I seem to remember him for his lack of effort and was glad he went.  Showed class at times though but I can't stand people who can't be arsed to put a shift in.

Didn't rate Tilley at all, lightweight and a bit lazy. Williams the same only worse.

Edwards was like a league 2 younger sousa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
aldi_01
May 12, 2022, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Happily have Matete and I still think Hendrie was decent. There were some shoots but they were squashed by thr straw chewing girl private and never recovered. Most of those were dreadful…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
HerveJosse
May 12, 2022, 8:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,177
Gold Stars: 139
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Danny Rose - I forgot, but he's still our player.....

Brilliant piece of work. Nice to get informative post .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
chaos33
May 12, 2022, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from nightrider

Are you absolutely having a laugh?!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
rancido
May 13, 2022, 10:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,517
Gold Stars: 96

Surely that accolade goes to Serge Makofo.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
Poojah
May 13, 2022, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,412
Gold Stars: 1,497
Quoted from ginnywings
Wow!

I'd just sat down to eat my tea when I opened this thread and by the time I got to the end of the first post, I had put down my knife and fork, baked beans were spilling off my plate onto my lap, and my jaw had literally dropped, all without me being aware.

What were Holloway and the board thinking? I know he was a charlatan but surely even he knew that signing all those duff players and loanees was a recipe for disaster. Those three "strikers" he signed from lower leagues were nowhere near the standard required, and he gave one of them a 3 year deal FFS.

This is my 50th season supporting Town and they are without doubt the worst set of players I have ever seen, and they have had some competition for that accolade over the years.

It’s hard to describe that summer’s transfer business as anything but chaotic and utterly dysfunctional. Signing numerous players from several steps below your own division with the intention of playing them in the first team, alongside a raft of inexperienced loanees was just madness.

What’s madder than that though, and madder then the madman Holloway himself, is that that initial crop of players was NEVER in the League Two relegation zone. When Holloway left, we were a full six points clear of danger.

It’s uncomfortable to look back on it now, but we should have stayed up that season, we really should. If Hurst got anything wrong, it was doing too much in terms of squad transformation. 11 or 12 players in January, wasn’t it?

Easy with hindsight, but adding Eastwood, Menayese, Matete, Coke and possibly Lenny to what we had would probably have been enough. There were a number of players, such as Elliot Hewitt, who were initially frozen out by Hurst only to come back in and do a decent job.

What a crazy, frustrating season that was. I comfort myself with the fact that I didn’t have to witness it in the flesh.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Les Brechin
May 13, 2022, 11:29am

Quoted from rancido

Surely that accolade goes to Serge Makofo.

Never THE worst ever. I still remember those 2 goals he scored at Bath back in 2011. As I mentioned before THE worst signing ever has to be Mickael-Antoine Currier.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Poojah
May 13, 2022, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Never THE worst ever. I still remember those 2 goals he scored at Bath back in 2011. As I mentioned before THE worst signing ever has to be Mickael-Antoine Currier.

Mark Flatts?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
Les Brechin
May 13, 2022, 11:37am

Quoted from Poojah

Mark Flatts?

Hmmm, on a par I reckon.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
diehardmariner
May 13, 2022, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,367
Gold Stars: 532
Great work Jarmo, although not sure I wanted to have read that list!

Over the course of the season there was probably a team decent enough to stay up comfortably:

Eastwood, Hendrie, Hewitt, Meyanese, Clifton; Wright, Matete, Coke, Scannell, Hanson, LJL and then maybe cameo's from the likes of Windsor, Edwards, Spokes, Lamy, Morais.

But that team never came close to playing together with a few who were barely fit for the majority of the campaign.  The fact we had 3 left-backs during the season and I've still gone with Harry Clifton there says a lot, in fact if he was unavailable I'd have gone with Khouri ahead of Bunney, Habergham and Preston.

Awful squad, awful season.  No surprise that Matete has gone on to much bigger and better things.  

Eastwood nearly signed for Lincoln as an emergency loan before signing for Rochdale.  I seem to think he's out of contract with Sheff Utd this summer without making any inroads on their first team.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's firstly released there but also on Hurst's radar for the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Poojah
May 13, 2022, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Eastwood nearly signed for Lincoln as an emergency loan before signing for Rochdale.  I seem to think he's out of contract with Sheff Utd this summer without making any inroads on their first team.  Wouldn't be surprised if he's firstly released there but also on Hurst's radar for the summer.

I’d be happy with that. Looked a very competent, well rounded keeper during his time here. He’ll be 26 in October and only has 20 odd appearances to his name; wherever he goes it really needs to be a number one berth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
Kris2
May 13, 2022, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

As I mentioned before THE worst signing ever has to be Mickael-Antoine Currier.

I don't know if he just wasn't around long enough to make an impression on me or I've wiped away the horrible memories but I don't recall him playing for us at all. I somehow remember every game Mark Nicholls played on loan, probably because he came from Chelsea and scored goals in Europe so he was a massive let down after my Chelsea supporting mate bigged him up at school. Though looking on highlights I can find of that era, Mickael-Antoine Currier looked dire for us, he doesn't even look like a professional footballer with how clumsy and lost he looks. Watching him is like watching somebody who won a competition to play in the game.

Was another dire relegation season with a squad of wasters and mercenaries looking for a pay day. Nothing about that squad stood out to me, particularly in the last months of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
Les Brechin
May 13, 2022, 2:47pm

Quoted from Kris2

I don't know if he just wasn't around long enough to make an impression on me or I've wiped away the horrible memories but I don't recall him playing for us at all. I somehow remember every game Mark Nicholls played on loan, probably because he came from Chelsea and scored goals in Europe so he was a massive let down after my Chelsea supporting mate bigged him up at school. Though looking on highlights I can find of that era, Mickael-Antoine Currier looked dire for us, he doesn't even look like a professional footballer with how clumsy and lost he looks. Watching him is like watching somebody who won a competition to play in the game.

Was another dire relegation season with a squad of wasters and mercenaries looking for a pay day. Nothing about that squad stood out to me, particularly in the last months of the season.

He actually went on the have a fairly successfull career in Scotland. I think that might tell you what you need to know about the standard of football up there though!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Kris2
May 13, 2022, 2:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

He actually went on the have a fairly successfull career in Scotland. I think that might tell you what you need to know about the standard of football up there though!  

A goal machine in Norway too apparently.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 13, 2022, 3:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I know he left a little earlier than that, but our other resident Swede, Seb Ring is now playing for one of Poland's top sides - Wisla Krakow.

I can remember him really struggling to get in to the team by the end of his time here.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 13, 2022, 3:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

We had some stinking players that season, I remember Laurens ten Heuvel (I think that's correct) coming earlier in the season on loan from Sheffield United and he was abysmal.

We seemed to move from striker to striker to striker that year, he was duly replaced by Iffy Onuora, then Antoine-Curier  

Think we ended up with Paul Warhurst up front at one point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
jamesgtfc
May 13, 2022, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,939
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

We had some stinking players that season, I remember Laurens ten Heuvel (I think that's correct) coming earlier in the season on loan from Sheffield United and he was abysmal.

We seemed to move from striker to striker to striker that year, he was duly replaced by Iffy Onuora, then Antoine-Curier  

Think we ended up with Paul Warhurst up front at one point.

Warhurst really was awful. I seem to recall he wore the number 9 shirt and played centre back but his legs were completely gone.

I remember Iffy Onuora heading the ball against the Pontoon crossbar and it shaking for about 10 minutes afterwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
Gainsbro_Mariner
May 13, 2022, 3:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Warhurst really was awful. I seem to recall he wore the number 9 shirt and played centre back but his legs were completely gone.

I remember Iffy Onuora heading the ball against the Pontoon crossbar and it shaking for about 10 minutes afterwards.

That's right, Warhurst had a decent debut, think he got man of the match and then nodded in an own goal.

Iffy was past it, that was another bizarre one, came to us on loan wasn't terrible but probably wasn't worth a deal but we ended up signed him permanently after his one month loan expired and he only lasted about 2 months and we binned him off completely, I still think he played for another two teams on permanent deals in the last 5 months of the season.

Yeah, Nicky Law in his wisdom decided to load us with veteran players. Alan Fettis, Jamie Lawrence, Nick Daws etc I remember we got that American winger from Huddersfield, John Thorrington who had been class in the past but he had just come back after a year out and I reckon he last 2 games and that was it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
mariner91
May 13, 2022, 5:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,553
Gold Stars: 259
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
I know he left a little earlier than that, but our other resident Swede, Seb Ring is now playing for one of Poland's top sides - Wisla Krakow.

I can remember him really struggling to get in to the team by the end of his time here.

I saw this too. It's mental that a player who really struggled at times in L2 is playing in the Polish top division. Goes to show the strength in depth of the English football system. Does England produce a much higher amount of competent but not brilliant players than elsewhere?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
HertsGTFC
May 13, 2022, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,874
Gold Stars: 226
The title of this thread made me smile, that squad was never a team.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
RobDef1
May 13, 2022, 9:23pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin

Opinions and all that but I never thought he was that bad. Having said that, my lasting memory of him is being stretchered off in front of the pontoon with concussion, so guess that says it all really. Worst signing? Anthony Williams for me, closely followed by Nick Colgan.

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
RobDef1
May 13, 2022, 9:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from mariner91

I saw this too. It's mental that a player who really struggled at times in L2 is playing in the Polish top division. Goes to show the strength in depth of the English football system. Does England produce a much higher amount of competent but not brilliant players than elsewhere?

I think with Seb it was more a case of adapting to the language and culture that he struggled with, rather than actually playing football. He seemed to be lost, but clearly a competent player as his trajectory since would suggest.

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 14, 2022, 2:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,797
Gold Stars: 178
I wonder if there were any significant wagers laid down, particularly in the south west (Bristol area for example), for town to be relegated

Worst player ever for me was Murray jones!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The relegated team

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.