This thread currently has 5,382 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
May 6, 2022, 11:13am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Play offs are truly horrible to watch if you lose, amazing if you win. There is so much riding on them. It’s a real bounce back season for us to even be in contention, but I’m not looking forward to them one bit.
Of all the teams we’ll face, it’s pretty even from what I’ve seen. I saw us home and away for Halifax and Solihull likewise Notts and Chesterfield even the first two were not miles better than us and we probably should’ve had more out of those four games than just one point. We battered Wrexham at home during our golden start but I’ve not seen how they developed since. Daggers we’re poor at our place but rolled us at theirs so god knows with them. All I’ll hope for is that bit of luck that has sometimes evaded us in these sorts of games and a huge comfortable victory should we get to the final so my nerves aren’t copulated like they have been in previous years.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
promotion plaice
May 6, 2022, 11:29am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Play-off chances ?

We've got that free hit now of a game in hand over our rivals (excluding Boreham Wood) which is a big bonus.

As far as the play-offs go it's a lottery, one rash challenge and down to ten men, players getting injured (sometimes that can work in your favour   )

You've got to be in it to win it, simples.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Poojah
May 6, 2022, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,425
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Play offs are truly horrible to watch if you lose, amazing if you win. There is so much riding on them. It’s a real bounce back season for us to even be in contention, but I’m not looking forward to them one bit.
Of all the teams we’ll face, it’s pretty even from what I’ve seen. I saw us home and away for Halifax and Solihull likewise Notts and Chesterfield even the first two were not miles better than us and we probably should’ve had more out of those four games than just one point. We battered Wrexham at home during our golden start but I’ve not seen how they developed since. Daggers we’re poor at our place but rolled us at theirs so god knows with them. All I’ll hope for is that bit of luck that has sometimes evaded us in these sorts of games and a huge comfortable victory should we get to the final so my nerves aren’t copulated like they have been in previous years.

I think we have to treat this as a bit of a free hit, assuming we do of course make it to the play-offs (which I expect we will). It’s incredibly tough getting out of this league in any season, let alone this season with all the money sloshing around, and let alone having just been relegated in complete disarray.

If we do finish between 5th and 7th this season (and I hope it’s more the former than the latter), I think the management and players can take huge credit from that. They’ll have over-achieved in my opinion. Anything which happens from there is a massive bonus.

That’s not to say that we should go into the play-offs without the belief we can win them. We absolutely can. Merely that we should go into them without that monkey of pressure on our back, that has characterised all other play-off campaigns at this levels. Let the likes of Wrexham feel the heat instead.

We’ll have done everything expected of us, and more. It’s they that have to escape failure.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
RonMariner
May 6, 2022, 11:34am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,540
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
No one will want to play us

Indeed.

Look at it from the point of view of the other teams in the play offs. None of them can match our form over the last 18 games when we have clocked up over well 2 points a game, and have beaten Chesterfield, Notts, Dagenham, and Stockport on that run. It must look pretty scary to the opposition.

It's easy for us to pick holes in some of our performances and quite understandable that we are nervous, but to an outsider looking at our results over the last three months we must look pretty daunting.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
RichMariner
May 6, 2022, 11:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
We've topped the form table quite a few times since late January. We've had the odd wobble, like losing at home to Solihull and going 2 down at Barnet but, generally speaking, I think our form has been better than our position in the league for some time.

God knows what happened between the end of Oct and early Jan. Either side of those results we've been pretty much top of the league:

W 9   D 2   L 1   (before our wobble)

W 11   D 4   L 2   (after our wobble)

W 20   D 6   L 3   (if you merge them together)

That's 66 points from 29 games (2.275 points per game). Extrapolated across a 44-game season gives you almost bang on 100 points. What a shame we lost 9 of 12 in the middle of winter!!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
Bigdog
May 6, 2022, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
We need Efete and McAtee fit to have any chance in the play-offs. Their injuries are a huge blow..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
rancido
May 6, 2022, 1:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Bigdog
We need Efete and McAtee fit to have any chance in the play-offs. Their injuries are a huge blow..

I wouldn't say we have no chance without these two but certainly the inclusion of Mcatee would be a huge boost. Controversially,I know, but I don't get this over enthusiasm for Efete . I know he is quite good at getting forward but I think his defending is not what I want from a full back. He is prone to losing his man ,his throw-ins are weak and he isn't particularly good in the air. Maybe I'm a tad old fashioned but I would rather have a full-back who is  primarily a good defender than one that is primarily good at attacking.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
Bigdog
May 6, 2022, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

I wouldn't say we have no chance without these two but certainly the inclusion of Mcatee would be a huge boost. Controversially,I know, but I don't get this over enthusiasm for Efete . I know he is quite good at getting forward but I think his defending is not what I want from a full back. He is prone to losing his man ,his throw-ins are weak and he isn't particularly good in the air. Maybe I'm a tad old fashioned but I would rather have a full-back who is  primarily a good defender than one that is primarily good at attacking.

If we don't get promoted, he will be sought after by clubs higher up the pyramid than us..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
MuddyWaters
May 6, 2022, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Skybet have us 1/100 to make the playoffs.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
May 6, 2022, 2:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from RonMariner

Indeed.

Look at it from the point of view of the other teams in the play offs. None of them can match our form over the last 18 games when we have clocked up over well 2 points a game, and have beaten Chesterfield, Notts, Dagenham, and Stockport on that run. It must look pretty scary to the opposition.

It's easy for us to pick holes in some of our performances and quite understandable that we are nervous, but to an outsider looking at our results over the last three months we must look pretty daunting.  

I also agree. I have seen fans on other clubs' forums saying they think we will WIN the playoffs. They see a team in form, they know we have beaten Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield, have a manager that has done it before and a very vocal and partisan fan base.

It's going to be very tough, very tense but we certainly have a chance in the playoff lottery. The important thing is to make sure we are in them!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Playoff chances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.