Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 172 Guests

Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

This thread currently has 7,148 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
tintowner
February 20, 2022, 4:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
My excuses for going are  A:  we didn't have a game  B: my mate is a big Scunny supporter  C: I wanted to glorify in their current plight.

I met my buddy at the Sands Venue stadium and was duly charged £5 to enter the car park. We proceeded to walk to the front of the ground which was waterlogged in many places  (probably needed the drainage sorting out .... but that would cost money)
     We went to the ticket office and there was a bloke in there who hadn't been for a while (there are plenty like that at Scunny) and was buying a 2022 calendar. 'most of the players in it aren't here anymore' said the woman behind the counter. The bloke said he wouldn't know many of them anyway. 'maybe these two gents would know some of them' she replied ... pointing to me and my mate. 'I haven't got a clue' I said. I so wanted to ask if John McAtee played for them, I really did..... but I was in a hornet's nest.
     Anyway, we walked into the ground ............ and what a depressing sight greeted me. We think Blundell Park is bad, but by jaysus, this place looks tired and neglected ....... it really does. A lick of paint would most definitely make a difference (but that costs money). The scoreboard doesn't work and hasn't done all season  (it would cost money to replace ... 14 grand apparently). No programmes available (they cost money to print so its digital versions only).
     The pitch look in a half decent shape but the stretch where the linos run was waterlogged. The referee was Bobby Madley and he was a little concerned and mentioned it to a groundsman with a pitch fork who did absolutely nothing about it.
     FIRST HALF: Rochdale came out wearing Black & White striped shirts, black shorts and socks..... I really couldnt believe it. Match kicked off and within two minutes the lino on the other side of the pitch slipped and went down on his ar$e but was okay after a few minutes.
     I wasn't very impressed with Rochdale, in fact I was totally disappointed with them. They were so bad in the first half that they made Scunthorpe look good and it was no surprise when the home side took the lead (I remained on my seat when they did btw). Some of the home support were thinking that their team were playing well  .... they weren't, it was because Rochdale were offering absolutely nothing.
     SECOND HALF: I didn't realise that former Town player Robbie Stockdale was the manager of Rochdale. Whatever he had said at half time certainly worked as they were totally the opposite of the team that had struggled so badly in the first half. Scunthorpe couldn't handle this rejuvenated 'Dale' and had no answers whatsoever.
     When the equaliser came, I actually kind of cheered but then (realising where I was) disguised it by berating the home defence for not putting a challenge in. There was only going to be one winner after this and it was never in a million years going to be the iron. When the winning goal came I managed to nullify myself for safety reasons (I really wanted to let myself go and strip off to my Town shirt). Rochdale fans spewed onto the pitch, danced about and then casually went back into their end .... the stewards were poor at crowd control in my opinion.
     Scunthorpe were very poor in the second half, they seemed to accept the inevitable when Rochdale got the equaliser and it was as though they expected to lose the game.
     They are going down without a doubt. Most of their players wont be there next season and most of them probably don't want to be. Keith Hill can talk about committing himself for next season, but I am not convinced that he will be or if the fans want him to be.
     What will Mr Swann do when it happens. The Sands Venue Stadium (which he owns) needs money spending on it. He states that the club can only spend what it generates ....... my mate is looking at the National League as a short stay ... and he is not talking about getting promoted.

MY VERDICT:  They are in for another season of struggle and we will fill their away end next season.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
supertown
February 20, 2022, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
😀good read
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
rancido
February 20, 2022, 5:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
I can see the Scunts going the same way as Bradford Park Avenue - remember them?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
Spurn boy
February 20, 2022, 5:12pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 26
Great piece of reporting, I’m not sure what the ambition of Peter Swan is ( and to be honest don’t really care ) but he seems like Fenty in disguise and just not willing to spend any money on the team or stadium which his company owns. I think he has been using his wife’s money and she has told him No More!!

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
HertsGTFC
February 20, 2022, 5:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from tintowner
My excuses for going are  A:  we didn't have a game  B: my mate is a big Scunny supporter  C: I wanted to glorify in their current plight.

I met my buddy at the Sands Venue stadium and was duly charged £5 to enter the car park. We proceeded to walk to the front of the ground which was waterlogged in many places  (probably needed the drainage sorting out .... but that would cost money)
     We went to the ticket office and there was a bloke in there who hadn't been for a while (there are plenty like that at Scunny) and was buying a 2022 calendar. 'most of the players in it aren't here anymore' said the woman behind the counter. The bloke said he wouldn't know many of them anyway. 'maybe these two gents would know some of them' she replied ... pointing to me and my mate. 'I haven't got a clue' I said. I so wanted to ask if John McAtee played for them, I really did..... but I was in a hornet's nest.
     Anyway, we walked into the ground ............ and what a depressing sight greeted me. We think Blundell Park is bad, but by jaysus, this place looks tired and neglected ....... it really does. A lick of paint would most definitely make a difference (but that costs money). The scoreboard doesn't work and hasn't done all season  (it would cost money to replace ... 14 grand apparently). No programmes available (they cost money to print so its digital versions only).
     The pitch look in a half decent shape but the stretch where the linos run was waterlogged. The referee was Bobby Madley and he was a little concerned and mentioned it to a groundsman with a pitch fork who did absolutely nothing about it.
     FIRST HALF: Rochdale came out wearing Black & White striped shirts, black shorts and socks..... I really couldnt believe it. Match kicked off and within two minutes the lino on the other side of the pitch slipped and went down on his ar$e but was okay after a few minutes.
     I wasn't very impressed with Rochdale, in fact I was totally disappointed with them. They were so bad in the first half that they made Scunthorpe look good and it was no surprise when the home side took the lead (I remained on my seat when they did btw). Some of the home support were thinking that their team were playing well  .... they weren't, it was because Rochdale were offering absolutely nothing.
     SECOND HALF: I didn't realise that former Town player Robbie Stockdale was the manager of Rochdale. Whatever he had said at half time certainly worked as they were totally the opposite of the team that had struggled so badly in the first half. Scunthorpe couldn't handle this rejuvenated 'Dale' and had no answers whatsoever.
     When the equaliser came, I actually kind of cheered but then (realising where I was) disguised it by berating the home defence for not putting a challenge in. There was only going to be one winner after this and it was never in a million years going to be the iron. When the winning goal came I managed to nullify myself for safety reasons (I really wanted to let myself go and strip off to my Town shirt). Rochdale fans spewed onto the pitch, danced about and then casually went back into their end .... the stewards were poor at crowd control in my opinion.
     Scunthorpe were very poor in the second half, they seemed to accept the inevitable when Rochdale got the equaliser and it was as though they expected to lose the game.
     They are going down without a doubt. Most of their players wont be there next season and most of them probably don't want to be. Keith Hill can talk about committing himself for next season, but I am not convinced that he will be or if the fans want him to be.
     What will Mr Swann do when it happens. The Sands Venue Stadium (which he owns) needs money spending on it. He states that the club can only spend what it generates ....... my mate is looking at the National League as a short stay ... and he is not talking about getting promoted.

MY VERDICT:  They are in for another season of struggle and we will fill their away end next season.

Interesting.............. I hope you showered when you got home.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2022, 5:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Spurn boy
Great piece of reporting, I’m not sure what the ambition of Peter Swan is ( and to be honest don’t really care ) but he seems like Fenty in disguise and just not willing to spend any money on the team or stadium which his company owns. I think he has been using his wife’s money and she has told him No More!!

Swanny thinks of himself as a well heeled playboy and expects people to fall at his feet. Think Mrs Swann prefers horse racing to football!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
It Bites
February 20, 2022, 5:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,183
Gold Stars: 264
I remember Scunthorpe fans saying they were  coming to the Barnet home game, to watch town go down . We won to prolong the agony .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
TownSNAFU5
February 20, 2022, 5:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Most relegated teams believe that they will come straight back up from NL.  They will be in for a rude awakening.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
Les Brechin
February 20, 2022, 6:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,707
Gold Stars: 174
Yeah, I was surprised when I saw the goals on Quest. Looked like they were playing Town.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
Heisenberg
February 20, 2022, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,043
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from rancido
I can see the Scunts going the same way as Bradford Park Avenue - remember them?

No.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scunthorpe Utd v Rochdale ... I was there.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.