Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aldershot Town thread, sponsored by James Wade
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 316 Guests

Aldershot Town thread, sponsored by James Wade

This thread currently has 17,215 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
The_Laughing_Mariner
February 13, 2022, 1:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
Now that was a game.  I was there.  32 years ago.  Wow

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 127
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 8:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from chaos33
Always a risk when you’re that reliant on 1 player

That is some overstatement there.

Why are they reliant on one player?
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 8:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Maybe it is an overstatement. Probably debatable. Chesterfield have scored 51 league goals and he’s got 25 of them.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 9:35am
Snakebite drinker
None of the top sides in this division have more than 2 or 3 players on 5 or more goals this season so I don’t see why Chesterfield are singled out as being overly reliant on one scorer.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 10:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
And I doubt there are any others in the division who have one player who’s scored 50% (nigh on) of their total goals and nobody anywhere near 25 goals - hence my point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 10:26am
Snakebite drinker
He’s scored 9 more than second place. That’s why he cost what he did. After that Chesterfield have as many if not more scorers close to Tshimanga than most top sides if not all.

Cheek has scored 15 goals this season. None of their other players have even scored 5. If you are looking for a narrative of someone leaning on one goalscorer then there you go. The Thsimanga stuff is just wrong though, facts are facts.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 10:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from quebec38
He’s scored 9 more than second place. That’s why he cost what he did. After that Chesterfield have as many if not more scorers close to Tshimanga than most top sides if not all.

Cheek has scored 15 goals this season. None of their other players have even scored 5. If you are looking for a narrative of someone leaning on one goalscorer then there you go. The Thsimanga stuff is just wrong though, facts are facts.

You’ve lost me here mate. It’s a fact that he’s scored 50% of Chesterfield’s goals. Nobody else in the division has a stat anywhere near that. Not sure where Cheek comes into it? Sure he’s second top scorer in the Division on 15 goals for Bromley, but that’s just 37% of their total goals. In the list of the top 30 goalscorers in the national league this season, Chesterfield don’t have a single other player. Obviously Cheek is Bromley’s only representative, so I dare say you’d be right in thinking they’d suffer if they lost him. Are you trying to suggest Bromley are over-reliant on him?

After Tshimanga, Chesterfield’s next top scorer has 5 goals. Obviously we’ll see how they get on now. They’ll probably just go and buy another striker, but your ‘facts are facts’ point looks obtuse to me. I actually think, in terms of your argument, the reverse obtains, but then I would say that wouldn’t I.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
marinerjase
February 13, 2022, 11:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 147
Why does every thread end up in an argument/disagreement?

Seems some like jumping on anything to start one.

I think it’s fair to say Tshimanga will be a loss, any side would miss someone with a record like his (wish him well on recovery) - and I’ll set myself up now for someone to come and have a dig - not sure Chesterfield will go up anyway. They’ve ground results out rather than be impressive (a good quality to have) but think they’re struggling a bit more recently and I’d suggest Stockport win league and ‘a spoiler’ wins play offs.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
chaos33
February 13, 2022, 11:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t think it’s an argument as such mate, and it’s not abusive or anything is it. Quebec thinks I made an overstatement….I’m not sure I did but am open to discussion about it. I’m a bit confused about the ‘facts are facts’ point as I think ‘facts’ have been conflated with stats - and as we all know, you can use stats and context to ‘prove’ anything. In this case, I think my argument, based on the stats is stronger but I’m not gonna lose it because it is challenged. That’s what the forum is for isn’t it. I think the salient points are : Tshimanga has scored 50% of Chesterfields goals and that is decisively incomparable. I think that has meant that their league position is due to that performance, substantially. Maybe ‘over reliant’ is a stretch, but I think there’d be broad agreement on this and the view that he’s unique in this division and a huge loss.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 127
quebec38
February 13, 2022, 11:22am
Snakebite drinker
No problems from either me or chaos, marinerjase? Just two people debating something, no nastiness.

I see a lot that Chesterfield get called a one man team but I don’t think it’s true.

Of course Tshimanga has a higher percentage of goals in comparison to his team mates, he’s scored nearly 40% more than the second top scorer in the league. My point is though that they have as many players high up in the scoring charts close to Tshimanga as other teams so why are they deemed more reliant on him than any other side is their top scorer?

I don’t agree with what Chesterfield did last season and I think it’s stupid that they spent 250k on one player in division 5, but I think this criticism is unfair.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aldershot Town thread, sponsored by James Wade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.