HertsGTFC
January 28, 2022, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Brazilnut
This habit  of when a team has a corner  of placing the ball with just a millimetre over hanging the white line .....are todays Premiership players and all professional players incapable of kicking the ball that extra 3 inches that would be required if they actually placed the ball inside the quadrant .

I would love for Town to announce that  as a team we will always place the ball inside the quadrant because our players can kick it that far ......would set a good example to the kids  

I also get really p1ssed off when they don't place the ball on the penalty spot and the fanny of a ref does not see it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Kris2
January 28, 2022, 2:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
At least the ball is within the area it should be still. Nothing like when players take a 10 yard stroll then run up another 10 yards for a throw in and refs say nothing. Or referees that keep stopping to talk to people before a corner is taken when they can just blow their whistle if they see a foul after it's taken. What do you need to talk about?

Plenty of things more annoying in football than players trying to steal an extra inch on a corner.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Les Brechin
January 28, 2022, 2:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Kris2
At least the ball is within the area it should be still. Nothing like when players take a 10 yard stroll then run up another 10 yards for a throw in and refs say nothing. Or referees that keep stopping to talk to people before a corner is taken when they can just blow their whistle if they see a foul after it's taken. What do you need to talk about?

Plenty of things more annoying in football than players trying to steal an extra inch on a corner.

Also, it very, very rare to see a foul throw awarded these days. Some of the throw-ins you see these days are a joke.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
promotion plaice
January 28, 2022, 2:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Les Brechin
Talking of little things that annoy you.

Why do football commentators use the word "same", as in "they both went for the same ball.

There is only one bloody ball, why not just say "they both went for the ball"

What does the word "same" add to that?

Another little thing that annoys me is when the commentators constantly feel the need to apologise if the pitch-side microphones pick up any swearing from the crowd or the bench.....

"Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up".

Personally I don't even notice it until they bring it up but then again my hearing isn't the best.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
Kk700
January 28, 2022, 2:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +76
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Brazilnut
This habit  of when a team has a corner  of placing the ball with just a millimetre over hanging the white line .....are todays Premiership players and all professional players incapable of kicking the ball that extra 3 inches that would be required if they actually placed the ball inside the quadrant .

I would love for Town to announce that  as a team we will always place the ball inside the quadrant because our players can kick it that far ......would set a good example to the kids  

I only played local football but took many corners. i always placed the ball on the outside edge of the D which is within the rules. The reason for this was to place the ball away from the corner flag so it i would not accidently catch the it on my approach. it actually meant that the ball was approx 300mm further away from the post when compared to placing all the ball within the "d"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Abdul19
January 28, 2022, 2:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Most of the time when people moan about the ball being out of the quadrant, it's fine.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
GibMariner
January 28, 2022, 2:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -894
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner

At the expense of a new striker?

What expense👎
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
RichMariner
January 28, 2022, 3:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
They need to crack down on foul throws. When some modern day Rory Delap hurls one into the six yard box you can see their front foot firmly planted beyond the line, and also their back foot drags - then often lifts - as they throw it.

Two offences in one!

And I'm not highlighting this just because I got penalised for taking a foul throw in a charity match (ahem...)

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
ginnywings
January 28, 2022, 3:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
There isn't  enough room for a run up to the ball at a lot of grounds, so placing the ball as far as you can  away from you, gives a bit more to play with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
mimma
January 28, 2022, 3:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Stopping a player from taking a free kick is my biggest bugbear. As mentioned, players deliberately run up and stand in front of the ball to stop a free kick from being taken quickly, thereby slowing the game down. They were supposed to have clamped down on it but it has slowly stopped.

Another one that they introduced to speed up the game was to make keepers release the ball quickly instead of taking their time before releasing it. Again it allows teams to slow the game down to their advantage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boils my P1ss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.