lew chaterleys lover
January 26, 2022, 9:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MarinerDevil
He's obviously well into sacking territory and probably would have been given the boot already at most clubs.  And for the record, I like Paul but I think he may be coming to the end of his managerial career, at least in the EFL.

I'm not sure what the thinking will be as the owners have trusted him completely to run the playing side.  The next 6 games include 5 extremely winnable games against sides in the bottom half:

Wealdstone (H)
Notts County (A)
Kings Lynn (H)
Aldershot (H)
Southend (A)
Dover (A)

12-15 points from those games would see us in the mix for the play-offs again.  This side is surely capable of that.  Just depends on whether the owners feel they can still trust PH to build a long-term 'project', or that a new manager bounce would be more beneficial with the run of fixtures to come.

The owners thought it was a good strategy to continually say Paul is in sole charge of the playing side and initially it seemed to be working, but when it goes pear shaped like this they have to step in.

I can't fathom the reason why we have gone from "champions elect" to quote an opposition manager to relegation form, but they will now have to have an alternative in mind if this carries on.

From Hurst's point of view in any meeting I would point out they in turn will have to accept short term loan signings are not a proper solution,and they will have to attract further investment for player recruitment and use this period as a harsh learning curve.

If they didn't know before they know now that being competitive even in league 5 is a costly business and you need to concentrate on the playing side above all else.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 32
exiledmeggie
January 26, 2022, 9:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -226
Gold Stars: 18
How many times have we thrown the dummy out of the pram, yet still have not got anywhere?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 32
Rodley Mariner
January 26, 2022, 9:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176

I can't fathom the reason why we have gone from "champions elect" to quote an opposition manager to relegation form, but they will now have to have an alternative in mind if this carries on.

I'm not sure the above has occurred to the extent a lot seem to think and maybe we just had a very kind start to the season. Our record against teams below us is excellent - won 10, drawn 1, lost 2. In the past couple of months when we've played teams below us we've beaten them we just haven't played many. Our record against teams above us is dire - won 1, drawn 2, lost 8. Doesn't bode particularly well even if we get into the play offs. As others have said we seem to play okay in lots of these but don't make enough chances or take them when they occasionally come along.

Some odd decisions recently I think which concern me. When Sears left I assumed another right back would come straight in. When Smith signed I assumed he was the pacier, more comfortable footballer to partner Waterfall after Towler was recalled. Instead we end up with Smith crowbarred in as we've no fit right back. I do think when we're struggling Hurst reverts, like many managers, to 'keep it tight' but the result has been we're scoring very few goals and losing lots of games narrowly. I don't think the owners will rush decisions but I think they've probably succeeded in their careers by taking risks and being brave and we need a bit of that on the pitch. I also think they will have been ruthless and made difficult decisions in their careers so don't buy into the 'they' ll never sack him' narrative. I suspect they'd rather give him 10 games too many than 10 too few but I don't see them letting this continue indefinitely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
lew chaterleys lover
January 26, 2022, 9:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not sure the above has occurred to the extent a lot seem to think and maybe we just had a very kind start to the season. Our record against teams below us is excellent - won 10, drawn 1, lost 2. In the past couple of months when we've played teams below us we've beaten them we just haven't played many. Our record against teams above us is dire - won 1, drawn 2, lost 8. Doesn't bode particularly well even if we get into the play offs. As others have said we seem to play okay in lots of these but don't make enough chances or take them when they occasionally come along.

Some odd decisions recently I think which concern me. When Sears left I assumed another right back would come straight in. When Smith signed I assumed he was the pacier, more comfortable footballer to partner Waterfall after Towler was recalled. Instead we end up with Smith crowbarred in as we've no fit right back. I do think when we're struggling Hurst reverts, like many managers, to 'keep it tight' but the result has been we're scoring very few goals and losing lots of games narrowly. I don't think the owners will rush decisions but I think they've probably succeeded in their careers by taking risks and being brave and we need a bit of that on the pitch. I also think they will have been ruthless and made difficult decisions in their careers so don't buy into the 'they' ll never sack him' narrative. I suspect they'd rather give him 10 games too many than 10 too few but I don't see them letting this continue indefinitely.

Fair points but the way we beat Wrexham at home and Altrincham away when they were flying suggested a much better season.

Its completely bizarre that we are scrambling around with young loan players in unnatural positions and that is just rank bad management from all concerned.

The manager situation is a conundrum which is a gamble either way. I suppose they will have a deadline in mind when they think enough is enough.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
buckstown
January 26, 2022, 9:57am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
It's very depressing watching/listening games at the moment. We're not getting battered by anybody but we lose 1-0. Simply put we create very few chances and don't take them, but the defence has an error in it most games. We're not far from being very competitive but we're too conservative
If I was PH I'd be fighting for my job and send them out against Wealdstone with the most attacking line up I have. The hope being if we create 10 chances we might take a couple and so what if we concede. If I'm going, it's in a blaze of glory, all guns firing. It's Wealdstone, not Manchester City
Trouble is I don't think he'll be looking for anything other than chiselling out a 1-0 win against very tough opponents. He's by nature a "dour" manager and it isn't in his nature to just unleash the cavalry. It could be a career defining game on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
Garth
January 26, 2022, 10:19am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Just watched his post match interview, it seems to me he knows what's wanted, as do us all, but has no knowledge of what to do next.
He is a manager who crouches behind the settee hoping for a break, he is basically living on a thread that was amaturly offered by the new owners, your jobs safe Paul were building for the future, problem is the foundations are poor and the builders lost his trowel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
Withnail
January 26, 2022, 10:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MarinerDevil
He's obviously well into sacking territory and probably would have been given the boot already at most clubs.  And for the record, I like Paul but I think he may be coming to the end of his managerial career, at least in the EFL.

I'm not sure what the thinking will be as the owners have trusted him completely to run the playing side.  The next 6 games include 5 extremely winnable games against sides in the bottom half:

Wealdstone (H)
Notts County (A)
Kings Lynn (H)
Aldershot (H)
Southend (A)
Dover (A)

12-15 points from those games would see us in the mix for the play-offs again.  This side is surely capable of that.  Just depends on whether the owners feel they can still trust PH to build a long-term 'project', or that a new manager bounce would be more beneficial with the run of fixtures to come.

Win four of the next six fixtures and we should be hovering just below the play off places. If we then continue to put together a decent run we will definitely make the play offs. I must admit this seems fanciful at best after our appalling run of late, but football changes very quickly. Who'd have thought we'd be having this conversation in early October when we were flying and scoring at will?

If we can string back to back wins together confidence and morale will return both of which is clearly lacking at present.

I'll get shot down for this but couldn't care less. I think we should judge Paul Hurst in the short term on the next six games. Minimum requirement - win four. Set up to attack the opposition with as settled a team and formation as possible and move heaven and earth to get a proven striker in.

If we make the play offs in our first season back I think that would be a minor success. Ultimately I think we'd struggle against Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield should our paths cross in the play offs, hell, even Bromley did the double over us.

But I can't see the point in getting rid of Hurst now, which would give a potential successor less than five days in the January window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 26, 2022, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from Withnail

If we make the play offs in our first season back I think that would be a minor success. Ultimately I think we'd struggle against Wrexham, Stockport and Chesterfield should our paths cross in the play offs, hell, even Bromley did the double over us,.

You can probably add Boreham Wood to the list based on their results and having watched them last night. Their CB - David Stephens -  is girthing his way into a Steve McNulty-esque human blockade, five doughnuts at a time.

I’m not looking forward to our March showdowns with them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
buckstown
January 26, 2022, 11:10am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 77
I had a look at the Chesterfield forum a few weeks ago and they describe Borehamwood as "vile manager, vile team, vile club"
By all accounts Garrard makes Woodman look like an amateur. But look at their league position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
White_shorts
January 26, 2022, 11:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -599
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MarinerDevil
The next 6 games include 5 extremely winnable games against sides in the bottom half:

Wealdstone (H)
Notts County (A)
Kings Lynn (H)
Aldershot (H)
Southend (A)
Dover (A)

12-15 points from those games would see us in the mix for the play-offs again.  This side is surely capable of that.

On current form, I'd say only King's Lynn was extremely winnable.

At least after last night, we can't be the first team to lose to Dover.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What next

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.