Abdul19
February 1, 2022, 8:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Croxton

He's 26 so perhaps geography counted against us. If we were able to compete on the financials that is.

Or we never tried to sign him.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
Croxton
February 1, 2022, 8:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31

Kettering to Grimsby = 117 miles
Kettering to Southend = 111 miles

Ah but... it's also 20 min longer to Grimsby.  All about the small margins!   Seems he was at Wrexham with Shaun Pearson so due diligence may have played a part. Southend manager has already said 'he's a maverick'.  Someone please tell me we at least tried?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
RonMariner
February 2, 2022, 7:39pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Sounds like a promising player that other clubs are interested in and commands a fee.  We never seem to sign those do we?

I look at the players other clubs in this league are signing compared to us and it makes me feel we are not serious about promotion.

I understand all the arguments about sustainability, but the only thing it seems likely to sustain is our current position as a mid table 5th tier club. If you want out of this division I think you have to invest in some decent players. I just don't think they come on free transfers.

Investment is the right word too. The financial cost to this club of being out of the EFL is huge,  I think our revenue dropped by several hundred thousand pounds a season last time we were down here.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2022, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from RonMariner
Sounds like a promising player that other clubs are interested in and commands a fee.  We never seem to sign those do we?

I look at the players other clubs in this league are signing compared to us and it makes me feel we are not serious about promotion.

I understand all the arguments about sustainability, but the only thing it seems likely to sustain is our current position as a mid table 5th tier club. If you want out of this division I think you have to invest in some decent players. I just don't think they come on free transfers.

Investment is the right word too. The financial cost to this club of being out of the EFL is huge,  I think our revenue dropped by several hundred thousand pounds a season last time we were down here.  

Have faith. £500k of transfer income plus another £500k of the boards money has gone straight into Fentys' bank. Anything due from the Dembele move to Bournemouth is going to him as well. Jason and Andrew have spent £1.5m of their own personal cash to buy Fentys' shares plus a few more and then chucked £1m in to improve our club; which was starved of investment and round footballs.

It takes time but the evidence is above that money is being spent or diverted elsewhere for now. We are building and I'm sure as we get players tied down for next season, our summer recruitment will be a bit different this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2022, 8:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from RonMariner

This is the way to go. Have a great scouting system and pay a bit of dosh ( we are not talking millions, are we?) for those up and coming players that are in demand at our level and sell them on for a profit. I am sure the owners know this.

Looking at James' reply below perhaps it is just a matter of time before we start paying for these types when Fenty has finally been paid off.

I must admit though had it been my money I would have paid Fenty off straight away and recouped it over time as our fortunes improved. The great attendances home and away and the fact we are who we are means our fortunes will indeed improve substantially as time goes by.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Poojah
February 2, 2022, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490

This is the way to go. Have a great scouting system and pay a bit of dosh ( we are not talking millions, are we?) for those up and coming players that are in demand at our level and sell them on for a profit. I am sure the owners know this.

Looking at James' reply below perhaps it is just a matter of time before we start paying for these types when Fenty has finally been paid off.

I must admit though had it been my money I would have paid Fenty off straight away and recouped it over time as our fortunes improved. The great attendances home and away and the fact we are who we are means our fortunes will indeed improve substantially as time goes by.

Not far down the road Scunny did a brilliant job of this for years, constantly signing players for little to nothing and then selling them on for millions.

Billy Sharp, Gary Hooper, Martin Paterson, Andy Keogh and Conor Townsend alone netted them over £10m in transfer fees having cost them a combined total of £150k (£100k for Sharp and £50k for Keogh). That’s not an accident, and it’s that kind of approach that organically funded their promotions to the Championship before Peter Swann got his grubby hands on the club and fúcked it all up.

We were possibly a tad unlucky in that, Bogle aside, Liam Hearn was probably our most saleable asset in recent years and he got badly injured, but our failure to produce and attract players with a sizeable resale value is just one of the reasons we’ve fallen behind as a club.

It makes it all the more galling that, uncertainty over the Dembele deal aside, we’ve probably had our most profitable season in many years and not a penny has made it back into the transfer kitty.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
RonMariner
February 2, 2022, 8:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Poojah

We were possibly a tad unlucky in that, Bogle aside, Liam Hearn was probably our most saleable asset in recent years and he got badly injured, but our failure to produce and attract players with a sizeable resale value is just one of the reasons we’ve fallen behind as a club.

True, and I think a similar thing happened with Reddy. I thought one of the Bristol clubs were at one point offering £400k, but then he got injured. Not sure what happen to him after that  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2022, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187

On your last point, I don't think they would have been popular as they siphoned £1.5m of attendance money and transfer income back into their bank accounts. Even if they are both worth £75m (simple maths) then £750k each is still a sizeable amount of cash to have liquid. Whatever they are worth, I would hazard most of it is tied up in investments.

It's always easy to spend someone elses money but I think they were right not to pay the loan off immediately for a number of reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
Poojah
February 2, 2022, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from RonMariner

True, and I think a similar thing happened with Reddy. I thought one of the Bristol clubs were at one point offering £400k, but then he got injured. Not sure what happen to him after that  

It’s so long ago now that I can’t remember all the details however I seem to remember someone vaguely ‘ITK’ telling me that we’d agreed to sell him to Luton for a similar figure to that, but that he’d failed the medical.

I’ve no idea if that was the case but the idea of him failing a medical is within the boundaries of possibility when you think how his body just completely broke down not long after.

I remember him scoring a goal in a 1-0 win against Wrexham not appreciating at the time that it would be his last goal in football. I think things soured a bit after the Cardiff debacle and he wanted out, but a real shame that such a great player saw his career end like that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2022, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Poojah

Not far down the road Scunny did a brilliant job of this for years, constantly signing players for little to nothing and then selling them on for millions.

Billy Sharp, Gary Hooper, Martin Paterson, Andy Keogh and Conor Townsend alone netted them over £10m in transfer fees having cost them a combined total of £150k (£100k for Sharp and £50k for Keogh). That’s not an accident, and it’s that kind of approach that organically funded their promotions to the Championship before Peter Swann got his grubby hands on the club and fúcked it all up.

It makes it all the more galling that, uncertainty over the Dembele deal aside, we’ve probably had our most profitable season in many years and not a penny has made it back into the transfer kitty.

I am optimistic that we can go down the Scunthorpe pre Swann route, and assuming we can get the attendances a club of our stature deserves then we should be able to maintain it.

The first step is the hardest but once we have got rid of Fenty entirely the sky is the limit.

Mind you if we lose on Saturday ask me again.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.