January 24, 2022, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from diehardmariner
Storm in a teacup at best.

Woodman is a sharp object that manages a horrible side.  Yet he's also the same sharp object that's taken 6 points off us because we rolled over to have our bellies tickled.

Cook's response shouldn't be the focus of this week.  The inquiry should be into why we were so feeble, why we threw away a relatively comfortable position and why the last 3 months we've fallen like a stone.

Cynic in me thinks it's a nice distraction technique from Cook to deflect from the alarming form and increasing calls for a managerial change.

There could be something in this theory. The Jose Mourinho effect who made everyone talk about him so the team could get on with the job.

If we lose two games this week, I hope for their sake they don't come out with the "long-term project" spiel or complain that we've been bullied again. It's competitive football and there are 3 points at stake so it's about time our team make sure they get a lot more than 7 points from the next set of 12 league games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 130
diehardmariner
January 24, 2022, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Years of supporting Town do that to you, don't they?

We had chances to bury them Saturday but we are nothing like ruthless enough and we always seem ready to drop a level to let the opposition into the game. I'm convinced we've still got the players to get promoted but they seem to lack willpower and motivation. Very strange.

I think we've got the players, I'm just not sure we've got the right balance of them.  In attack we should have enough between Taylor, McAtee, Abrahams, Sousa, Wright and even LJL as an option from the bench to more than see off the vast majority of sides in this league.  Individually it's a very good collection of attacking options.

But the balance in midfield, or the lack of it, is a real concern and a huge hinderance towards progression.  Whichever pairing we put into the centre of the park, it's just not dynamic enough.  Coke is too defensive minded and whilst I thought he was ok on Saturday, his dawdling on the edge of the area really cost us.  He doesn't move the play quickly enough and at numerous times this season he's slowed down our attack to our cost.  Fox has really disappointed me since his impressive start.  He neither offers an attacking outlet or seems to really protect the defence.  He doesn't create a lot or move the ball at pace in a Hunt like style.  He looks like he should be a box-to-box type but I lost count of the times on Saturday when he was deeper than Coke.  Clifton is the best of the bunch but he's not creative enough either, especially if he's deemed the more attack minded of the three.  He can (and should be, in my opinion) deployed as the one who will burst beyond the strikers and I'd like to see him played more centrally to do that.  

This lack of anything in the middle leads to McAtee dropping deeper and deeper, with it becoming less and less effective.  To the point on Saturday when he was a virtual passenger for large periods.  That in turn creates a huge gap behind Taylor so our only outlet is wide.

With Efete out (and another who doesn't seem as impressive as the late days of Summer) it means we've got even less attacking outlets.  We're incredibly predictable and as soon as Maguire-Drew went off on Saturday it was painful.

Unless Burgess is going to come into the team and spray the ball around at pace and/or carry the ball forward with intent to create chances (or of course we bring someone else in to do that), then we're never going to be serious challengers this season.

Private Message
Reply: 71 - 130
diehardmariner
January 24, 2022, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There could be something in this theory. The Jose Mourinho effect who made everyone talk about him so the team could get on with the job.

If we lose two games this week, I hope for their sake they don't come out with the "long-term project" spiel or complain that we've been bullied again. It's competitive football and there are 3 points at stake so it's about time our team make sure they get a lot more than 7 points from the next set of 12 league games.

Agreed.  Happy for the club to talk about the bigger picture, but that doesn't need to come at the expense of the immediate either.  Even forgetting league placings, the crowd aren't getting entertainment at the minute and you can see that in the gates (massively inflated at the weekend by Great Grimsby Day offers and packing kids into the away end).  Take away those offers and the crowds could look really sparse.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 130
ginnywings
January 24, 2022, 12:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There should also be a happy medium. £6 for a sausage sandwich is scandalous.

LH said they were £4.

If they are £6, then yes, I agree that's scandalous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 130
pen penfras
January 24, 2022, 12:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71

When the new owners were announced I assumed this would be the strategy from the start - first and foremost invest in the team in conjunction with the easier tasks of improving facilities.

They do need to raise their game on the playing side - assuming Hurst is being ambitious enough with his request for players but he always seems so low key and I sometimes wonder if he takes a perverse pleasure at making do.

But they literally came in and immediately started talking about sustainability. Only because of the pure elation of being rid of Fenty did that sound anything different to "more of the same on the budget". I realise they're going to spend more money on infrastructure and community projects, but unless that is backed up by an increase in fans through the gate, then it's money out of the playing budget that people complain was too small in the first place. And it's quite obvious that more people are only going to turn up if we're winning from the way the gates have gone the last few months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 130
jamesgtfc
January 24, 2022, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from ginnywings

LH said they were £4.

If they are £6, then yes, I agree that's scandalous.

£5.50 for 2 sausages in a bun.

[url]https://twitter.com/DocksBeers/status/1484593115864436737?t=UrpC8h1GVw6nDf7cknTv3A&s=19[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 130
ska face
January 24, 2022, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from pen penfras

But they literally came in and immediately started talking about sustainability. Only because of the pure elation of being rid of Fenty did that sound anything different to "more of the same on the budget". I realise they're going to spend more money on infrastructure and community projects, but unless that is backed up by an increase in fans through the gate, then it's money out of the playing budget that people complain was too small in the first place. And it's quite obvious that more people are only going to turn up if we're winning from the way the gates have gone the last few months.

The problem you’ve got in pointing to attendances as a barometer of success is that there has only been 1 game at BP this season where the attendance dropped below the average of 4599 Fenty achieved in 19/20. And that’s in non-league where you’re averaging probably 70/80 away fans rather than 300-400.

So even with 3 wins in 14, the new board are pulling in more fans than Fenty did a division higher. You might be advised to stop using Fenty as a yardstick by which to judge the new board because it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be worse under any metric.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 24, 2022, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from pen penfras

No it's not, they've said any money spent on improvements will not affect the playing budget, that was set on expected gate receipts and season ticket sales
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 130
LH
January 24, 2022, 6:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Just catching up with this. I didn’t buy one but my mate did and I misheard how much he paid - £4.50 seemed excessive to me! Whilst everyone is free to spend their money as they wish (and I will happily pay a bit more than Docks charge in their own bar at BP) I’m sorry but that is an absolute rip off. We can do better than this.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 130
pen penfras
January 24, 2022, 6:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ska face

The problem you’ve got in pointing to attendances as a barometer of success is that there has only been 1 game at BP this season where the attendance dropped below the average of 4599 Fenty achieved in 19/20. And that’s in non-league where you’re averaging probably 70/80 away fans rather than 300-400.

So even with 3 wins in 14, the new board are pulling in more fans than Fenty did a division higher. You might be advised to stop using Fenty as a yardstick by which to judge the new board because it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be worse under any metric.

With all the good feeling and great start, we get 5000 fans when giving away nearly 20% for free. Come on, it's hardly good, is it? Plus it's not even about Fenty, is it. It's about the only thing that really matters is performance on the pitch and since that went mammaries up the gates have quickly dropped and will continue to do so without something to bring back some optimism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 130
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Debbie Cook takes to Twitter

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.