Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst, Stay or Go??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 105 Guests

Hurst, STAY or Go
Stay (101 votes)
46.54%
Go (116 votes)
53.46%
217 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Hurst, Stay or Go??

This thread currently has 5,735 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
January 23, 2022, 2:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 123
Let's have a poll  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
AdamHaddock
January 23, 2022, 3:06pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,799
Gold Stars: 25
Go
Normally I'm happy to stick with a manager and give them time. I was also happy with PH's appointment at felt at the time, and even after relegation that he would put together a winning team once he had moved on the players he inherited.

But after three revolving door transfer windows, we're going nowhere.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
Kris2
January 23, 2022, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Changing the manager now won't make a shred of difference to this season so I'd say give Hurst until the end of the season and if he hasn't turned it around then we need to move on without him. As nutty as Holloway was, I wanted him to stay to try to clean up his own mess but he took himself out of the equation. I don't think constantly changing a manager mid season has done us any good so Hurst should be given until the summer to show he can turn things around.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
Bigdog
January 23, 2022, 3:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
He won't get sacked. Not in the board's DNA. He should be shown the door though. Starting to hate JS coming out with the "long term project line". Hurst is very much part of it. Cynic in me thinks that this long term project phrase always get rolled out by any organisation that wants to buy time and make out the solution is harder than it really is because they don't know how to fix it quickly (promotion) or they haven't got the required cash to fund it. Shite as it was under Fenty, the club was self-sustainable had a "competitive budget", and I haven't heard anything to the contrary from JS. The aim still self-sustainable and we've still got a "competitive budget". We've had the nice new half-time food and the grass is a lot better at Cheapside and BP, but everything else seems the same. Six years from now of Hurstball in the National League before promotion at a relatively unchanged decrepit BP? This feels the same as when he arrived from Boston. Not what I was hoping for a year ago tbh.

Hurst with his abject record should go, he just doesn't seem to have that winning mentality anymore, and our board should be looking at ways to accelerate their long term project into a short or medium term one. We've suffered enough these past two decades, we can't afford the best part of another one before we see really significant change..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Phil the cod
January 23, 2022, 3:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
I could accept the poor results if we where let's say, a club no one's heard of with home gates of 1200 and an away support of under 100 fans.
There were nearly 6000 fans there Saturday, that is league one levels of support. I'm not saying we are too big to be down here, but ffsake we shouldn't be outbattled and outwitted by the likes of Bromley, wealdstone,borehamwood etc etc.
For me Saturday was the lowest point of 30+ years of support.
I feel sorry for the younger supporters as they've never known a good town side,to them this crap is normal.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
TAGG
January 23, 2022, 3:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Bigdog
He won't get sacked. Not in the board's DNA. He should be shown the door though. Starting to hate JS coming out with the "long term project line". Hurst is very much part of it. Cynic in me thinks that this long term project phrase always get rolled out by any organisation that wants to buy time and make out the solution is harder than it really is because they don't know how to fix it quickly (promotion) or they haven't got the required cash to fund it. Shite as it was under Fenty, the club was self-sustainable had a "competitive budget", and I haven't heard anything to the contrary from JS. The aim still self-sustainable and we've still got a "competitive budget". We've had the nice new half-time food and the grass is a lot better at Cheapside and BP, but everything else seems the same. Six years from now of Hurstball in the National League before promotion at a relatively unchanged decrepit BP? This feels the same as when he arrived from Boston. Not what I was hoping for a year ago tbh.

Hurst with his abject record should go, he just doesn't seem to have that winning mentality anymore, and our board should be looking at ways to accelerate their long term project into a short or medium term one. We've suffered enough these past two decades, we can't afford the best part of another one before we see really significant change..

We were all saying that in the club after the game.
I know we need to look to the future but will we have one if we stick with Hurst??

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2022, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,171
Gold Stars: 233
If the long term project involves large numbers renewing season tickets then they need to grow a pair and get rid. We’re far too ‘nice’ and nothing like ruthless enough.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Phil the cod
January 23, 2022, 4:06pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Phil the cod
I could accept the poor results if we where let's say, a club no one's heard of with home gates of 1200 and an away support of under 100 fans.
There were nearly 6000 fans there Saturday, that is league one levels of support. I'm not saying we are too big to be down here, but ffsake we shouldn't be outbattled and outwitted by the likes of Bromley, wealdstone,borehamwood etc etc.
For me Saturday was the lowest point of 30+ years of support.
I feel sorry for the younger supporters as they've never known a good town side,to them this crap is normal.

This is why you can't take red crosses seriously........... someone posts the truth and the Fenty physcophants can't handle it
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
January 23, 2022, 4:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,647
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Bigdog

There may be a longer-term project off the field, but there won't be one on it. Tier 5 football does not lend itself to a long term playing project - the good players are anxious to play in the EFL, managers and players come and go like on a merry go round and fans will not wait patiently till a long term playing project reaps dividends and in any event our players are all on short term contracts, even the good ones.

Hurst has a lot of advantages as laid out by another poster, but the board must realise if you won't pay for the best players then you are likely to be amongst the also-rans.

If the long term playing project is to give Hurst as many windows as possible to eventually come up with the correct cheapish formula that is pure Fentyism.

What is the plan exactly? A plan would have been to build on the great start, the massively increased income from the gates and got better players in while we were flying. I would imagine it is a lot easier to get good players when you are top of the league than when you have won 2 in 14 games.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
Bigdog
January 23, 2022, 4:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

There may be a longer-term project off the field, but there won't be one on it. Tier 5 football does not lend itself to a long term playing project - the good players are anxious to play in the EFL, managers and players come and go like on a merry go round and fans will not wait patiently till a long term playing project reaps dividends and in any event our players are all on short term contracts, even the good ones.

Hurst has a lot of advantages as laid out by another poster, but the board must realise if you won't pay for the best players then you are likely to be amongst the also-rans.

If the long term playing project is to give Hurst as many windows as possible to eventually come up with the correct cheapish formula that is pure Fentyism.

What is the plan exactly? A plan would have been to build on the great start, the massively increased income from the gates and got better players in while we were flying. I would imagine it is a lot easier to get good players when you are top of the league than when you have won 2 in 14 games.  

Completely agree with you. The National League is, save for one or two rare exceptions, for buying your way into the EFL. Anyone who doesn't think that's the percentage play successful formula is in denial..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst, Stay or Go??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.