lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2022, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,697
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Talking of new players unsettling teams,  There is one outstanding example of this.

Back in the olden days (well, about 1972) Man City were close to the equiv of the Prem League title. They then bought the supremely talented  Rodney Marsh to add to a free scoring forward line.  Everyone said that this signing would get them the title.  What could go wrong?

The signing of Rodney Marsh completely unsettled the team.  They did not finish champions.  Rodney was the ultimate showman, an individual. The outstanding performer at QPR, where he was given a free reign.  He was not a team player or someone that worked hard or fitted into a team system.  City must have known what they were getting but still bought him.

Ironically, signing Grealish is a much lesser version of signing Marsh.  Grealish was the biggest fish in a small pond.  Now he is one of many City stars and has to fit into a team system.

I get they want to win trophies but if I was in Grealish's shoes I would have stayed at Villa my entire career, become one of their all-time greats and been feted wherever I went. The money at Villa would have been decent and he could have looked back on an outstanding career but instead takes the glory route to Man City where he does not look particularly happy, on the field at least.
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 154
golfer
February 1, 2022, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Poojah

I agree that they should. My only slight concern is whether they’ve almost done too much business.

I can think of two January windows in recentish history where we’ve gone for it having been near top of the league. In 2006 we signed Curtis Woodhouse, Ben Futcher, Marc Goodfellow and Junior Mendes, and then in 2013 we signed Devitt, Brodie, LJL and resigned Ross Hannah permanently.

I think most people were happy with that business at the time, but on both occasions we were a poorer side after the window. I think sometimes less is more in January though.

Make no mistake, Bournemouth have signed some quality there though.

Oh !  If only we could find another striker like Sparrow Legs Brodie    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 154
Bristol Mariner
February 1, 2022, 5:56pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Squarkus
Well done JSF great bit of business, unlike the sale of pollock no sell on clause to a prem side.

If Bournemouth look like going up I’ll go to their last home game with a FENTY OUT banner! And yes I can get a ticket.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 154
lukeo
February 2, 2022, 6:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

If Bournemouth look like going up I’ll go to their last home game with a FENTY OUT banner! And yes I can get a ticket.

NO MORE FENTY
Or
FENTY'S OUT
if youre going to do it. Saying fenty out looks as if we're asking for him to be gone, we're not as it'll be factual. His debts will be gone (I assume)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Siriki Dembele

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.