Poojah
February 1, 2022, 10:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,424
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from diehardmariner
If Bournemouth don't get promoted with those signings they've made I'll be absolutely amazed.  I wanted Blackburn to go up automatically before this but I'm all about getting ridding of Fenty at the earliest opportunity.

Cup half full this morning.

Going with the £4mill if promoted figure, that works out at £950,000 if we discount the £200,000 initial fee....doesn't it?

Added to the revenue from Grist and Pollock, does that could mean we're virtually free of Fenty at the point Bournemouth go up?  It's about £1.5mill we 'owe' him isn't it?

I agree that they should. My only slight concern is whether they’ve almost done too much business.

I can think of two January windows in recentish history where we’ve gone for it having been near top of the league. In 2006 we signed Curtis Woodhouse, Ben Futcher, Marc Goodfellow and Junior Mendes, and then in 2013 we signed Devitt, Brodie, LJL and resigned Ross Hannah permanently.

I think most people were happy with that business at the time, but on both occasions we were a poorer side after the window. I think sometimes less is more in January though.

Make no mistake, Bournemouth have signed some quality there though.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 154
HerveJosse
February 1, 2022, 10:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,184
Gold Stars: 139
[sub][/sub]

The first £500k annual instalment excluding the impact of transfer fees was due on 31 Dec 21 so will already have been paid.

Even before the Dembele sale the accounts show that all but £750k of the loan would have been paid off by May this year.
So presumambly the extra £250K paid off recognises the Pollock money the credit for which is reflected in the profit and loss account

So with the Dembele sale money the JF loan is largely history now and we can move on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 154
diehardmariner
February 1, 2022, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Poojah

I agree that they should. My only slight concern is whether they’ve almost done too much business.

I can think of two January windows in recentish history where we’ve gone for it having been near top of the league. In 2006 we signed Curtis Woodhouse, Ben Futcher, Marc Goodfellow and Junior Mendes, and then in 2013 we signed Devitt, Brodie, LJL and resigned Ross Hannah permanently.

I think most people were happy with that business at the time, but on both occasions we were a poorer side after the window. I think sometimes less is more in January though.

Make no mistake, Bournemouth have signed some quality there though.

Yeah good points.  I think the difference is that Bournemouth have signed genuine quality.  In 2006 there's only really Woodhouse who was quality.  Futcher, Mendes and Goodfellow came in with Ramsden and Gritton going out.  That weakened us in my eyes. Phillips, Moore, Dembele, Woodman, Cantwell....they're all genuinely quality signings at that level.  Phillips especially is an exceptional piece of business.   I get your point though, it can upset the balance of everything.

2013 was just a disaster wasn't it though?  Brodie wasn't the same player, Devitt affected by glandular fever, Hannah looked a different animal altogether and LJL never quite going until the following season.  

I'll raise you the 1997/98 transfers (different windows applied, of course) of Dave Smith and Wayne Burnett.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 154
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2022, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse
[sub][/sub]

The first £500k annual instalment excluding the impact of transfer fees was due on 31 Dec 21 so will already have been paid.

Even before the Dembele sale the accounts show that all but £750k of the loan would have been paid off by May this year.
So presumambly the extra £250K paid off recognises the Pollock money the credit for which is reflected in the profit and loss account

So with the Dembele sale money the JF loan is largely history now and we can move on

Not disputing you but where has it been stated that the first installment was due in December? It's neither here or there because it's looking like he's pretty much paid off in the near future as there is also the Dembele promotion bonus (£100k) and Grist sale (6 figures) that isn't reflected in the accounts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 154
HerveJosse
February 1, 2022, 11:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,184
Gold Stars: 139
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Not disputing you but where has it been stated that the first installment was due in December? It's neither here or there because it's looking like he's pretty much paid off in the near future as there is also the Dembele promotion bonus (£100k) and Grist sale (6 figures) that isn't reflected in the accounts.

In the circular sent to shareholders when the plc conversion was approved . Three annual instalments of £500 k first 31Dec 21
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 154
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2022, 11:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse

In the circular sent to shareholders when the plc conversion was approved . Three annual instalments of £500 k first 31Dec 21

Thanks for that. So he's definitely paid off this year, it's just a case of what month now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 154
TownSNAFU5
February 1, 2022, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42

Talking of new players unsettling teams,  There is one outstanding example of this.

Back in the olden days (well, about 1972) Man City were close to the equiv of the Prem League title. They then bought the supremely talented  Rodney Marsh to add to a free scoring forward line.  Everyone said that this signing would get them the title.  What could go wrong?

The signing of Rodney Marsh completely unsettled the team.  They did not finish champions.  Rodney was the ultimate showman, an individual. The outstanding performer at QPR, where he was given a free reign.  He was not a team player or someone that worked hard or fitted into a team system.  City must have known what they were getting but still bought him.

Ironically, signing Grealish is a much lesser version of signing Marsh.  Grealish was the biggest fish in a small pond.  Now he is one of many City stars and has to fit into a team system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 154
Nelly GTFC
February 1, 2022, 3:29pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from psgmariner
Also a rare well done to Slade for taking a punt on him.
I wonder who was actually aware of him, maybe it was Wilkinson not Slade

Siriki Dembele was one of the last recruits from The Nike Academy, as it closed that very same year, doesn't look like it was a profitible business for Nike.

[youtube]SSTRvDzYwC4[/youtube]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 154
Fishbone
February 1, 2022, 4:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
I genuinely have a lack of knowledge about the details,  but wasn't there the opportunity to pay Mr Fenty back a fixed amount over a few years? If so, why hurry to pay him the full amount back now when he could be made to wait and meanwhile the club could take the interest, or use part of the money from the recent transfer windfall(s) to develop the club/team?
Just a thought
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 154
Southwark Mariner
February 1, 2022, 4:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Fishbone
I genuinely have a lack of knowledge about the details,  but wasn't there the opportunity to pay Mr Fenty back a fixed amount over a few years? If so, why hurry to pay him the full amount back now when he could be made to wait and meanwhile the club could take the interest, or use part of the money from the recent transfer windfall(s) to develop the club/team?
Just a thought

He demanded transfer cash be used to pay him off quicker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Siriki Dembele

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.