Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,737 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
January 22, 2022, 9:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,464
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Out of interest, how many of the current squad do you think would be a regular in a promotion winning team and how many would be squad players?

If we were genuinely building something I would expect us to have 4 or 5 good players likely to be regulars in a promotion winning team & another 5 or 6 decent players likely to be squad players. I don’t think we have anything near that in either category.

Impossible to say. I don't watch Halifax on a weekly basis, nor Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham or any other team likely to be in the promotion mix come April.

As the title of this thread suggests, it's the manager under question, not the players, so how many of them would be under scrutiny if the manager was flavour of the month and winning games?

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a big PH fan, but form is form and it doesn't lie. Either our start was false and gave an inaccurate view of the quality, in which case PH has shot himself in the foot by hyping expectation, or the start was true and we simply haven't found solutions to problems in the subsequent poor form that has followed. Who takes the credit for the early success and who takes blame for the current form?

Much as a fan I am of PH, the same things I felt he struggled with before are becoming evident again in abundance, in that he doesn't have a creative Plan B that abandons the conservative style he plays by. This will likely be the sword on which he falls if and when that happens.

There's a whole seperate argument over players that I feel completely unable to hold judgement on because I don't know the breadth of standard across the rest of the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 351
Running like emson
January 22, 2022, 9:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You sure about that. At present it seems like a good 9-10 clubs in this league have a better manager than Paul Hurst based on his current performance.

Reductive childish nonsense.

Had a great day at the footy today. Shame about the result .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 351
HerveJosse
January 22, 2022, 9:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,202
Gold Stars: 143
With another week to go of the transfer window and another two or three players likely to come in I can’t see anyway the current owners can reconcile their philosophy with the reality we face. An angry few months ahead I fear.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 351
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 9:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Running like emson

Reductive childish nonsense.

Had a great day at the footy today. Shame about the result .

There are 9’clubs above us and we have a much, much bigger budget than 5 of those. Therefore I contend that their managers are all better than 21/22 Hurst. I don’t think that is reductive childish nonsense, but patently obvious fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 351
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 9:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from HerveJosse
With another week to go of the transfer window and another two or three players likely to come in I can’t see anyway the current owners can reconcile their philosophy with the reality we face. An angry few months ahead I fear.

There is no transfer window in the National Leagues!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 351
gtfc_chris
January 22, 2022, 9:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,464
Gold Stars: 114
Picking up on the hypothetical new appointment angle and previous board inadequacies. Same view held now as it was before. No-one has a crystal ball as to who will succeed.

I'm new yet old to this board. I used to peruse and occasionally post many moons ago in my youth and find myself back to pass the time at work. But I'm sure it'll be similar in the sense that every new appointment is followed by a cult of nay-sayers who always play the pessimist to then claim the victory when by law of averages said manager isn't successful and is moved on.

Truth is, anyone who is passionate about football could probably talk a good game over it in an interview. Even I probably could. But how that transpires on the pitch is completely different and no-one has the ability to foresee that.

Mangers have come from nowhere and performed great to then have their careers stall and fall away a few years later, some have had success at a higher level and fail to rediscover it on their way down the pyramid and any that have had renewed success find themselves higher up the ladder and well outside our reach.

That for me is where the realism has to set in. Recycling hopeful candidates every 12 months or show patience even at times where it doesn't seem logical? There will always be a point that a decision of that nature has to be made but what is the criteria to meet? In the real-time example, if it's to make the play-offs then despite the poor form and the obvious calls from some quarters for PH to go should we not be waiting until it's mathematically impossible?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 351
HerveJosse
January 22, 2022, 9:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,202
Gold Stars: 143
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There is no transfer window in the National Leagues!

Yes there is because that’s when the players at EFL level which could improve us will be moving
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 351
heppy88
January 22, 2022, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Just cannot see Stockwood et al being ruthless enough to give Hurst the chop. We won’t be relegated this season and I believe for the owners that will be enough. Hurst will only leave if he can find alternative employment, but surely the chances of that are zilch. So as much as I hate to admit it I fear we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 351
Running like emson
January 22, 2022, 9:53pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GollyGTFC

There are 9’clubs above us and we have a much, much bigger budget than 5 of those. Therefore I contend that their managers are all better than 21/22 Hurst. I don’t think that is reductive childish nonsense, but patently obvious fact.

Nah, it’s still reductive. But whatever floats your proverbial boat is fine with me. We all care
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 351
HertsGTFC
January 22, 2022, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,906
Gold Stars: 228
Paul Hurst won’t be going anywhere as Jason Stockwood has gone out on a limb saying (to heavily paraphrase) Paul has our backing to build long term, they weren’t his exact words but clearly that’s his view and it’s a view he may live to regret.

JMD looks a good addition, the loanees are once again appearing capable but they’re on loan, I honestly can’t see what we’re trying to build here.

The fact that we’re in theory still in touch with a play off spot will keep PH in a job despite current form.

Do I want him gone? No not at this stage as binning him probably won’t get us into the play offs which I thought should have been his only real KPI to achieve this season.

I’m not sure what length his deal is though it would be interesting to know.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 351
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.