Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,100 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 22, 2022, 8:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from pen penfras

Do they? I can't think of many teams that slowly build and improve year on year to work their way up. Usually a new manager comes in and within 1 or 2 windows it clicks and they push on.

Todays opponents have got better season on season. Chesterfield struggled massively when first in non league and have improved season on season. Stockport have steadily got better as well over the last 3 years and are now up to third and looking good.

There's three off the top of my head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 351
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 8:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from gtfc_chris

He's been here 12 months. He didn't rebuild a team last January, he tried to get players in who were better than the awfulness brought in by IH.

In the summer he brought in players he felt were capable of getting us promoted. We started strong, the support was there. We've then hit awful form and questions are being asked both of managers and players....which means he has to ask his own internal questions and try to improve on what we have to change our fortunes.

If a team is 'built' inside 12 months with a relegation in the middle of that then I must be missing something glaringly obvious.

Out of interest, how many of the current squad do you think would be a regular in a promotion winning team and how many would be squad players?

If we were genuinely building something I would expect us to have 4 or 5 good players likely to be regulars in a promotion winning team & another 5 or 6 decent players likely to be squad players. I don’t think we have anything near that in either category.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 61 - 351
Macca_D
January 22, 2022, 8:40pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

To name one is a tough question, do we go tried and tested or try an up and coming manager with a good record?...
I'll put a name out there but know I'll git shot down...Curtis Woodhouse, did wonders with Gainsborough and apparently had them playing attractive, attacking football....it's just a name to get the ball rolling..

Wow Curtis Woodhouse 😂 biggest shithouse going spineless little muppet! I'd rather have IH back!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 351
petethemariner
January 22, 2022, 8:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Ginny, it comes down to who you appoint mid season doesnt it? I would argue that of the GTFC ones you list
Bignot and Jolley were risky appointments due to their lack of league experience, Slade, as most of us knew, was  'yesterdays man' and Holloway was a bit of a celebrity  appointment we all got over excited by (although to be fair to him there were signs of improvement until Covid intervened, after which he and Fenty completely lost the plot).
You have to believe there are managers out there  that can make a difference, otherwise we are stuck with Hurst Ad infinitum arent we?
I know its  at a completely different level but look at Spurs, in danger of being dragged into a relegation battle until Conte came in  and changed the mentality of the club, they are now looking at a possible CL spot.
We are a big club at this level, we have to believe  someone can change our  fortunes or  we may as well give up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 351
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 8:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from ginnywings

Todays opponents have got better season on season. Chesterfield struggled massively when first in non league and have improved season on season. Stockport have steadily got better as well over the last 3 years and are now up to third and looking good.

Not a very good list when all 3 of those clubs have appointed a new manager in the last 14 months after sacking someone. And Stockport’s manager came in this season.

How is that steady building? They are all examples of a new manager bringing instant improvement after replacing a perceived failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 351
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from ginnywings

A phrase that has cropped up countless times over the last decade, only it never got any better did it?

Bignot
Slade
Jolley
Holloway

All managers that came in and started again, again. And how many failed before PH came in last time?

I don't know what the answer is and if the board decide time is up for PH, then fair enough, but let's not pretend it's just a matter of bringing in a new manager and after half a season to assess, we will suddenly be in a position to storm the league.

Most teams achieve stuff by steadily building over time. There are exceptions but they are in the minority. The last manager to arrest the slide and get us moving upward was the manager we have in post, but we didn't back him and he buggered off.

I'm neither pro nor anti PH at the moment, but history has taught us that changing manager doesn't work as well as some imagine it will.

I don't think it's a fair argument to use these examples. They were chosen by an inept board and it's absolutely no coincidence that after leaving us between them they have managed a further 7 games in professional football (Slade and Bignot did get jobs in semi-pro leagues but that proves my point more than anything).

I agree that building a team over time is the answer but what exactly is Hurst building? Two of this window's signings are loanees. The other two are on short term contracts and you can guarantee if they do really well for us they'll be looking to get back in to the FL at the first opportunity which is fair enough. The spine of our team has a central defence who are both 32 and 33 this season, a central midfielder who is 35 and showing it and a centre forward who is doing well but is nearly 34. Plus two goalkeepers both of whom could be improved on. Hardly a solid basis to be building from is it? And that's before you actually look at the manager himself who has a record of failure ever since he left Shrewsbury and doesn't appear to have learned from any of the mistakes he used to make in his first stint here.

Building is great. But it has to be the right man and I don't think that is Hurst. Any time afforded to him from here on in is wasted essentially.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 351
arryarryarry
January 22, 2022, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from gtfc_chris

He's been here 12 months. He didn't rebuild a team last January, he tried to get players in who were better than the awfulness brought in by IH.

In the summer he brought in players he felt were capable of getting us promoted. We started strong, the support was there. We've then hit awful form and questions are being asked both of managers and players....which means he has to ask his own internal questions and try to improve on what we have to change our fortunes.

If a team is 'built' inside 12 months with a relegation in the middle of that then I must be missing something glaringly obvious.

But he didn't get any better, in terms of points per game he was worse than that useless twit Holloway, and that is a sad indictment of what Hurst actually achieved.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 351
WokingMariner
January 22, 2022, 8:45pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
What's the point in sacking him now? Might as well wait until the end of the season so we can spend all summer thinking whoever gets the job is going to achieve the impossible. Sack him now and our dreams will all be dashed before it's time to stump up for season tickets.

Timing is everything.....

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 351
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from ginnywings

Stockport aren't a good example of keeping with a manager though are they? They're spending a small fortune and literally sacked their manager in October after a start that wasn't as bad as the run Hurst is on now. They're the very opposite of your argument!

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 351
GibMariner
January 22, 2022, 8:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -894
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from kafunanapar140909

Couldn't agree with you more. When the new owners' first task is to provide training balls which are *actually round* you can appreciate what a massive task they have to turn this club around.

You sure that wasn’t just another Hurst excuse together with the training pitches are hard etc. Well sir if you talk to the ground staff as the manager, I’m sure they would put the sprinklers on. It’s called management. But then he needed all the props didn’t he as he could see he had brought in some crap players 13!!! last season which made us worse. Yes worse.  
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 351
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.