Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 34 Guests

Hurst Out

This thread currently has 36,105 views. Print
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 22, 2022, 7:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am just very puzzled on how we can  start so well and be four points clear at the top of the league then only win two of the next fourteen.

What I do know is to be successful you need a settled team and everybody pulling in the same direction with a manager who knows how and when to change the team before or during a game.

It's no good us calling for the managers head because the new owners have faith in Hurst getting it right eventually , lets hope the majority of fans have the patience they have because I think we will be down here for a few years yet.

I hope I am wrong because I would love to see our club back in the league before I pop my clogs.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 351
mariner91
January 22, 2022, 7:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

G’won then name one.

Can you not read? It’s not my job to name anyone, I won’t be choosing them. It’s also not my job to keep an eye on all the possible candidates, I haven’t got the time frankly to closely follow more than one football club. If your argument is that if I personally can’t name someone then there couldn’t possibly be anyone better than a manager with Hurst’s recent record and his career in free fall then we’re royally fcuked aren’t we?

But off the top of my head I would imagine Luke Garrard and Pete Wild of Boreham Wood and Halifax respectively would love a crack at the league with the supporter base and budget that we’ve got. Both have punched above the size of the clubs they are managing at the level we find ourselves at, something Hurst has never done.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 351
Hagrid
January 22, 2022, 7:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We were talking about the quality of the squad on the way back. Realistically how many of them are good enough to be part of a promotion winning team? McAtee definitely. Maguire-Drew too.

After that we’re bang average.

I can take a season of nothingness if I can see something getting built. Slade I season 1 was an example of that.

I can’t honestly see what Hurst is building.

The team that ultimately got promoted last time; McKeown; Tait, Nsiala, Gowing, Robertson; Arnold, Disley, Clay, Nolan; Bogle, Amond. I don’t think anybody in our current squad would get into that team. McAtee maybe. And that wasn’t a team that won promotion in style. They got promoted with the lowest points total to ever get into the EFL.

Hurst built a whole new team last January. We built a whole new team last summer. And he’s signed 5 already this winter if you include Maguire-Drew and is talking about another 3 coming in. It’s getting on for a complete rebuild again. How many times do we allow him to try and build a good enough team.

Our form is terrible and our next 3 games are tough- Wrexham (away), Boreham Wood (home) & Notts County (away). Whether you still back Hurst or not, I don’t think anyone can honestly say if we sacked him now it would be harsh.

This morning I was 60:40 in favour of Hurst. I’m probably 50:50 now. If we sacked him tomorrow I would be fine with it.

Think its wealdstone at home

But i completely agree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 351
Mariner Ronnie
January 22, 2022, 8:00pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from mariner91

Can you not read? It’s not my job to name anyone, I won’t be choosing them. It’s also not my job to keep an eye on all the possible candidates, I haven’t got the time frankly to closely follow more than one football club. If your argument is that if I personally can’t name someone then there couldn’t possibly be anyone better than a manager with Hurst’s recent record and his career in free fall then we’re royally fcuked aren’t we?

But off the top of my head I would imagine Luke Garrard and Pete Wild of Boreham Wood and Halifax respectively would love a crack at the league with the supporter base and budget that we’ve got. Both have punched above the size of the clubs they are managing at the level we find ourselves at, something Hurst has never done.

Luke Garrard maybe yes. Not that Pete Wild fellow though, his team lost to lowly Maidenhead today, definitely not suitable for us fishy folk that. 😉

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 351
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2022, 8:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Bomhead
I told Hurst to burn the unlucky  green Goalie kit  but no goalie wears it and we lose again. Should be Hurst and dodgy kit out.

If you think that goalkeeper kit is green I suggest a trip to the opticians. It’s luminous yellow.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 351
ginnywings
January 22, 2022, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from petethemariner
5800 fans there today was incredible (particularly considering the awful form of the past 3 months) and it will be such a shame to lose this  won back support by doing nothing to address the situation, we all know that changing the management team would not automatically turn things round, but gates will drop and drop fast should this  slump continue.
I honestly feel that this management team have now had a fair crack at it and we are deteriorating, not improving.
Its almost certain  we are going nowhere this season now, so give a new manager the rest of this season under no pressure to establish a playing identity, because we sure as hell dont have one at the moment.
Having a forward thinking business model is all well and good, but performances and results are. what keeps bums on seats

A phrase that has cropped up countless times over the last decade, only it never got any better did it?

Bignot
Slade
Jolley
Holloway

All managers that came in and started again, again. And how many failed before PH came in last time?

I don't know what the answer is and if the board decide time is up for PH, then fair enough, but let's not pretend it's just a matter of bringing in a new manager and after half a season to assess, we will suddenly be in a position to storm the league.

Most teams achieve stuff by steadily building over time. There are exceptions but they are in the minority. The last manager to arrest the slide and get us moving upward was the manager we have in post, but we didn't back him and he buggered off.

I'm neither pro nor anti PH at the moment, but history has taught us that changing manager doesn't work as well as some imagine it will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 351
Spurn boy
January 22, 2022, 8:07pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,164
Gold Stars: 26
I’ve stuck by Paul Hurst all season but sadly I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s lost the plot and really doesn’t know what to do next. But I can’t think the Owners will get rid of him till the end of the season and will stand by him till then although I don’t think we’re going to move away from our mid table position, what started as such a high is turning into an embarrassment.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 351
Simon
January 22, 2022, 8:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Approval: +259
Gold Stars: 32
Tell you what though those sausage buns are bloody amazing, I walked home this evening very happy in the knowledge that at least the food has improved my match day experience

If fact I was in such a food coma I didn't realise we had lost again until I put Hullberside on in the car on the way home

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 351
pen penfras
January 22, 2022, 8:22pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -138
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

A phrase that has cropped up countless times over the last decade, only it never got any better did it?

Bignot
Slade
Jolley
Holloway

All managers that came in and started again, again. And how many failed before PH came in last time?

I don't know what the answer is and if the board decide time is up for PH, then fair enough, but let's not pretend it's just a matter of bringing in a new manager and after half a season to assess, we will suddenly be in a position to storm the league.

Most teams achieve stuff by steadily building over time. There are exceptions but they are in the minority. The last manager to arrest the slide and get us moving upward was the manager we have in post, but we didn't back him and he buggered off.

I'm neither pro nor anti PH at the moment, but history has taught us that changing manager doesn't work as well as some imagine it will.

Do they? I can't think of many teams that slowly build and improve year on year to work their way up. Usually a new manager comes in and within 1 or 2 windows it clicks and they push on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 351
gtfc_chris
January 22, 2022, 8:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 110
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We were talking about the quality of the squad on the way back. Realistically how many of them are good enough to be part of a promotion winning team? McAtee definitely. Maguire-Drew too.

After that we’re bang average.

I can take a season of nothingness if I can see something getting built. Slade I season 1 was an example of that.

I can’t honestly see what Hurst is building.

The team that ultimately got promoted last time; McKeown; Tait, Nsiala, Gowing, Robertson; Arnold, Disley, Clay, Nolan; Bogle, Amond. I don’t think anybody in our current squad would get into that team. McAtee maybe. And that wasn’t a team that won promotion in style. They got promoted with the lowest points total to ever get into the EFL.

Hurst built a whole new team last January. We built a whole new team last summer. And he’s signed 5 already this winter if you include Maguire-Drew and is talking about another 3 coming in. It’s getting on for a complete rebuild again. How many times do we allow him to try and build a good enough team.

Our form is terrible and our next 3 games are tough- Wrexham (away), Boreham Wood (home) & Notts County (away). Whether you still back Hurst or not, I don’t think anyone can honestly say if we sacked him now it would be harsh.

This morning I was 60:40 in favour of Hurst. I’m probably 50:50 now. If we sacked him tomorrow I would be fine with it.

He's been here 12 months. He didn't rebuild a team last January, he tried to get players in who were better than the awfulness brought in by IH.

In the summer he brought in players he felt were capable of getting us promoted. We started strong, the support was there. We've then hit awful form and questions are being asked both of managers and players....which means he has to ask his own internal questions and try to improve on what we have to change our fortunes.

If a team is 'built' inside 12 months with a relegation in the middle of that then I must be missing something glaringly obvious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 351
36 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Hurst Out

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.